What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I listened to this just now so I had an excuse to share it. I discovered it quite a while back. If it's already been posted, apologies.

Do yourself a favor and put it on a big screen and get a half decent sound system or over ear headphones.
It's literally lifeless on a phone.

I ike a good story with my music. Also a bit of attitude. But most often it's just hunting down those ear worms.
I do my best to stay away from mainstream cuz it's just too easy.

The thing about it is that was his experimental phase. I actually liked a lot then- one of my favorites of his Musicology which was in that period.

The bit around when Musicology came out was all about real music with real musicians and there's some seriously funky stuff in that era.

I stopped following Prince in the late 1990s after he changed his name to 1660377887763.png(even though that name was short-lived).

I then overlooked Prince's 2000s period as I was too busy with babies and pre-schoolers and whatnot, so keeping up with Prince's antics was off my radar at that time. It was also much harder to find many of Prince's albums during that time that he stepped out of the limelight, I'm not sure if all of those albums were released here in Australia. I definately remember seeing the Musicology album in the music stores when it was released, but I was just out-of-synch with Prince at that time.

Regretting all that now.

I started taking notice of Prince's contemporary material around mid 2010s when ArtOfficial and HitnRun Phase 1 and HitnRun Phase 2 came out.
I quite enjoy Prince's later work and it is a shame his comeback era was cut short (by his passing)

So now it's quite easy with the streaming music services to grab an artists's entire catalogue in a night.
That is pretty much what I did last week for Prince, and it's been on heavy rotation since.
I quite like listening to entire albums in their chronological order. The Prince material works so much better as individual albums, rather than as an assortment of greatest hits mixes.

You sparked my interest enough for me to give Musicology a good listen tonight. I really dig what I'm hearing, it's got some real funky stuff on it.
Another good album I completely missed.

I also discovered I quite like The Rainbow Children. It's almost a blend of old time brass-funk-rnb-jazz fuzion, more than a few nods to Sly Stone (more than usual), almost touching on gospel at times, quite an interesting album to play in the background

I'm gonna check out a few more of these albums that I missed during that era, it turns out that I really missed a great period here.
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Vivaldi's Le Quattro Stagioni (Four Seasons) is a guilty pleasure of mine, in spite of getting done to death. So, the other day I stumbled across a metal guitar cover of Vivaldi's Four Seasons Summer. It turns out that guitar arrangements of classical* pieces are a thing.

Four Seasons Summer (Presto)

Four Seasons Winter

Moonlight Sonata (3rd movement)

Toccata and Fugue in D

* Baroque, romantic, whatever

Last edited:
Eine Kline Nachtmusik (1st movement)

Mozart Symphony no. 40.

Mozart Requiem in D (Lacrimosa)

Paganini Caprice no. 24

Beethoven Bagatelle no. 25 in A Minor (Fur Elise)

Last edited:
I actually prefer the first two albums before Dirty Mind, but that third album is very good, and very Prince - the funk, the liberal hyper-sexuality, the lyrics would still be controversial if Dirty Mind was produced today, perhaps more so.

Those earlier two albums are definitely underrated, more RnBish which I dig.

Also love my vinyl copy of Prince with this back cover.

a8d9bf29175e9c7be42d17b8e78851ee.jpg

I stopped following Prince in the late 1990s after he changed his name to View attachment 48617(even though that name was short-lived).

I then overlooked Prince's 2000s period as I was too busy with babies and pre-schoolers and whatnot, so keeping up with Prince's antics was off my radar at that time. It was also much harder to find many of Prince's albums during that time that he stepped out of the limelight, I'm not sure if all of those albums were released here in Australia. I definately remember seeing the Musicology album in the music stores when it was released, but I was just out-of-synch with Prince at that time.

Regretting all that now.

I started taking notice of Prince's contemporary material around mid 2010s when ArtOfficial and HitnRun Phase 1 and HitnRun Phase 2 came out.
I quite enjoy Prince's later work and it is a shame his comeback era was cut short (by his passing)

So now it's quite easy with the streaming music services to grab an artists's entire catalogue in a night.
That is pretty much what I did last week for Prince, and it's been on heavy rotation since.
I quite like listening to entire albums in their chronological order. The Prince material works so much better as individual albums, rather than as an assortment of greatest hits mixes.

You sparked my interest enough for me to give Musicology a good listen tonight. I really dig what I'm hearing, it's got some real funky stuff on it.
Another good album I completely missed.

I also discovered I quite like The Rainbow Children. It's almost a blend of old time brass-funk-rnb-jazz fuzion, more than a few nods to Sly Stone (more than usual), almost touching on gospel at times, quite an interesting album to play in the background

I'm gonna check out a few more of these albums that I missed during that era, it turns out that I really missed a great period here.
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

This may be heresy but I think his later live band was superior to his 80s band.

This may be heresy but I think his later live band was superior to his 80s band.

Yes the more I hear and see of his post-2000 gigs, the more I love the funk vibe he was into in this period
In fact I backflip completely regarding my ignorance of this period, it happened at a time in my life when I wasn't tracking Prince stuff, but he definately was every bit as creative as his earlier phases, and much less commerical-driven
The actual live experiences are more funky and the musicians look like they are having much more fun than the ones he enlisted in the 80s/90s era

Last edited:
Throwin' it back to E's high school years:

I was just listening to Sound of White Noise this week, and that album is seriously good from start to finish. And while I really like the new albums with Joey, I became an Anthrax fan because of this album...

Sound of White Noise is an all-time classic, even though I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole album.

You should definitely do so. That thing kicks ass from beginning to end. For certain a classic metal album, up there with the best of the best...

Recently I've been reevaluating Bowling for Soup who I dismissed as a shoddy Blink 182 ripoff first time round. I'm big enough to admit I was wrong and they're actually a lot of fun. You really need to watch the videos to get the full potential though.

Recently I've been reevaluating Bowling for Soup who I dismissed as a shoddy Blink 182 ripoff first time round. I'm big enough to admit I was wrong and they're actually a lot of fun. You really need to watch the videos to get the full potential though.

I graduated High School in 1986, so I really relate to this song, only I don't look nearly that good squirming around the hood of a Jaguar. :hehe:

And see below for something completely different. Honestly, I strongly preferred Kiss it Goodbye's precursor band, Deadguy, but Kiss it Goodbye had 50% of the same personal and the same rad graphic design, and "oh well, we're burn that bridge when we get to it" was something I had frequently written in my journals of that era before the song came out, lol.

Enjoy the Ride and Vinegar Syndrome are releasing a doc on Deadguy:

John Prine cover. I'll be honest, I don't recognize any of these people except Rhiannon Giddens and Bonnie Rait, but I assume they're all big in their respective fields.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back