What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Last four random tunes played from my Spotify Liked Songs List

Last edited:
I like this version better, but the original version has some great artwork to accompany it.

Brave New World "The New Generation Version", by Jeff Wayne

The underground victorian city is some great inspiration:

Brave New World, by Jeff Wayne

"Go Dig My Grave," the first offering from Lankum's forthcoming new album. Dark, droney, doomy... Can't wait to hear the rest of False Lankum next month!

I love the way Sammy Davis sings it - just effortless and magical

I love Sammy Davis. My mum turned me on to his Mr Bojangles as a kid. He was a bridge between the mid 20th Century and the world we live in now. A force of nature. And but how a different singer takes the same song and makes it a completely different story. :heart:

I also love his dance with Gregory Hines at the 60 year anniversary celebration- man to be in show business so long. Those days when you had to be a triple threat!

It's amazing to think that the De La Soul guys are only a few years older than me. They really were Best In Class, took things in entirely their own direction. Legends. Along with these guys, who never come up when people talk famous RPG players. Why is that, I wonder?

"What's the answer, Dungeon Master?"

It makes me sad to see people dying in their 50s... and look back and see that it is not new, that I just didn't pay attention to it. For so many artists, 50 is the gate.

That album is such a downer... but fitting for this day. And just genius and showed that in this day, these OGs still had it.

They were always doing their own thing and their own thing was about as classy as hip hop gets. Maybe Jurrasic 5 get put in the same basket, but I can't really think of anyone else still making music that fits into that category. DOOM's gone too. Man, this has me maudlin. How today's kids get by I don't know, because one thing De La Soul taught a young me was that it's okay to be soft, soulful, hippy, dippy and confused.

They were always doing their own thing and their own thing was about as classy as hip hop gets. Maybe Jurrasic 5 get put in the same basket, but I can't really think of anyone else still making music that fits into that category. DOOM's gone too. Man, this has me maudlin. How today's kids get by I don't know, because one thing De La Soul taught a young me was that it's okay to be soft, soulful, hippy, dippy and confused.
That line "I chose stereo in stereotypical male biology"... crazy flows and saying something pointing to your same points...

This morning I rearranged the furniture in my study, moving the desk to a position where I get light from my left from the southern window and the sofa and armchair to the other end of the room. And when I was at it I dug out my old CD stacker and speakers and so on, and set them up on a buffet that I brought in from the spare bedroom.

And now I'm listening to the 1955 recording of the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer playing Beethoven's 7th Symphony, on some proper speakers. With some goddam oomph!

This is for everyone entangled in the deep bad shit we call our fucking epoch. Be love, be the rainbow. Let them know it isn't okay, even if it's silently, in your heart.

"Does anybody have any questions?"

David Byrne is one of the coolest nerds ever. And Tina Weymouth is always a joy to watch perform.

Yeah a lot of their peers figured out that you could sell more records by playing to white kids idea of black 'authenticity' by pretending to be a street gangster (e.g. Tupac, Ice Cube) but they were confident enough to just being their lower middle-class, black hippie selves.

I was responsible for feeding the musicians at a bigger music event and remember that all De La Soul requested was cheeseburgers and fries. They were very polite and unpretentious to me, the lowly kid responsible for getting them food.

Whereas I recall how rude and entitled the members of Spirit of the West were at the same event, they refused to go on stage until I replaced their veggie plate because some dumbass volunteers had helped themselves to it. That contrast in attitude was a real early eye-opener about dealing with musicians.

Last edited:
I've recently made an exception to my "no Actual Play podcasts" rule and been listening to Happy Jacks: The Tomorrow Legion.

For those who don't know, the Tomorrow Legion is a faction in the Savage Worlds version of Rifts. I've had a steadily increasing interest in Savage Rifts as something to pull from, since the PCs in my game have become very powerful and not much from core Savage Worlds challenges them anymore.

There's so much lore stuffed throughout the various Savage Rifts books, though, that I have a hard time getting a handle on it by reading the books, so I thought that listening to some folks play through an adventure in Savage Rifts would be an easier way to get an idea of what the deal is with Rifts earth. I am up to episode 9 and enjoying it quite a bit.

I got pretty annoyed listening to episode 2, because they made a ton of rules mistakes, but it turns out that, starting with episode 3, they do a bit at the beginning of episodes where they go over the rules mistakes they made in the previous episode and explain how things actually should have worked. So now I'm fine with episode 2, haha.

I've found a version of my favorite* Sabaton song that lifts it to new heights of awesome:

*Well, one of two.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back