What are you listening to?

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
I'll be damned if that bass and saxophone don't blow the studio version out of the water. Gotta love his supremely cocky performance. That look at 1:28 kills.

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
There's this obscure group called The Beatles, you might Google the name to learn more...
Lol. I meant currently active bands. Nevertheless, well played!

And I can't believe I forgot that one of my other Top 5 favorite bands (of which DKM are one), Rancid, also has two lead singers! I haven't listened to them in quite a while, even though I really like them.

Ronin

Gentleman of Leisure
Reaction score
Two Minutes to Midnight is a show on Youtube. Well they have gathered different metal musician together to do covers, and I'm here to tell you its FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

Black Leaf

Whey Faced Poltroon
Reaction score
Currently my favourite newish band.

Indie pop with snark turned up to full.

Stevethulhu

Lose 1d20 San
Reaction score
Love me some AiC. Facelift, Jar of Flies, Sap and Dirt are some cold classic albums with not a weak track among them.

Me, I've been listening to this a lot after posting the play along in the Dune thread. Decided to have a proper crack at learning it and I've decided Steve Harris is a robot. A human being cant play this bass line.

Jan Paparazzi

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Btw, do you know Rick Beato's channel? It's really cool if you are interested in breaking down music.

Stevethulhu

Lose 1d20 San
Reaction score
Btw, do you know Rick Beato's channel? It's really cool if you are interested in breaking down music.

It's really good. Apart from when he goes on a rant about blockers stopping him from making money off other people's songs. I mean taking down his videos that are fair use and totally not monetised, despite the rampant commercials.

Dumarest

Reaction score
Amazing reinvention of his own song:

He segued into this but I couldn't find an uncut version:

Dumarest

Reaction score
I love brass bands. As if anyone needed it, here's proof that a truly great melody can be played in any style on any instrument.

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been getting a kick out of bluegrassy country of late:
I love one of the top comments on the first video: "Dude in the back standing there like he gives side quests "

In a completely different direction, I've been enjoying these guys:

Dumarest

Reaction score
Reading Riot on Sunset Strip
s-l400.jpg
while listening to Love, the Leaves, the Byrds, the Doors, Buffalo Springfield, and so on.

For my money the greatest pop music scene of all time.

Dumarest

Reaction score
No knock on Los Lobos or Richard Steven "Ritchie Valens" Valenzuela, but I like this version better:
Mostly gibberish lyrics ("To dance the Stomp*, you need a little bit of grace...I'm not a sailor, I'm a captain") in any language: no wonder it made good rock'n'roll:

* The name of the dance ("La Bamba") has no direct translation but probably derives from the Spanish word for "stomp" or "shake."

Last edited:

Dumarest

Reaction score
I just looked it up and Ritchie Valens was 17, Buddy Holly was 22, and even the Big Bopper was only 28 when they all died on February 3, 1959. I'm such a big Buddy Holly fan that "2359" used to be my go-to four-digit pin for many years. The date always stuck in my mind because my birthday is February 4th so their music was always being played on the anniversary right before, to the point that I associate my birthday with their songs, especially Buddy Holly's. (Don't tell La Raza but I don't even own any Ritchie Valens records.) I always thought the Big Bopper was an older guy for some reason. (I've only heard a couple of his songs as I was never especially impressed by "Chantilly Lace.") That really sucks those guys were taken out so young.

Probably my favorite Ritchie Valens track and one that makes me think he could have had a long career had he not died a teenager:

Buddy Holly has so many good songs I just picked one almost at random. He was such a precocious songwriter and innovator, I'm certain he would have carried on in music for a long time:

I never much liked "Chantilly Lace" and feel it's a not-very-good novelty only remembered now due to the Big Bopper's untimely death, but here's a much better song he did:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
My favourite Holly track, so rhythmic and badass. Perfect.

Coulda sworn there was a live performance of this somewhere on YT.

Love the story that Little Richard tells of having a threesome with Holly and a fan/groupie.

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
There are a couple of albums that I find really uplifting, helping my mood whenever I am a bit down.

Rick Astley became an internet meme, but his two modern albums are fantastic.

Here‘s a great example:

And I love this final track from his return album 50: