What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I’ve been digging into Spotify and it looks like the top five songs streamed from the 80s are:

“Don’t Stop Believing” Journey, 863,000,000
“Africa” Toto, 813,000,000
“Billie Jean” Michael Jackson, 697,000,000
“Take On Me” a-ha, 682,000,000
“Every Breath You Take” Police, 672,000,000

Just outside...
“Livin’ On A Prayer” Bon Jovi 584,000,000

The most streamed song from the 70s is Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” with 1,244,000,000 listens.

The most played from the 60s appears to be Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell’s “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” with 534,000,000 listens.

Last edited:

Old Number 7 by The Devil Makes Three

You can never go Home again by Gangstagrass

Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker

Meet me at the Creek by Billy Strings

Dust in a Baggie by Billie Strings

I think she actually does it better than Roy.

Have I ever mentioned I fucking despise Jeff Lynne's production style? It's like he willfully sucks the soul out of every song he touches. The drums never swing, the layered guitars bury any dynamics. Even Roy's voice can't overcome it.

Have been listening to a lot of east-european popmusic lately. Yes some of them is actually in turkish, but that's a thing downthere.

I dunno, man, I think Andrea peaked with Огън в кръвта no matter what you and AsenRG AsenRG say.

Last edited:
Listening to Paul McCartney's most avant garde, experimental, and outright weird LP.

This track blows my mind every time:

"Shangri-Las versus the Village People"?!?!? :hehe:

And this one is just plain strange as eff:

And of course the funky hit single:

Don't forget Liverpool Sound Collage!

The Italian Lum themesong has gotten heavy rotation on my playlist lately

Watch out, italian cartoon songs of the '70 and '80 are a bottomless pit.
They were often done by top-notch professionals under aliases, where they could have some fun and experiment in between "serious work"... and it shows.

The Veronicas are originally from my city, Brisbane. I need to get them over for a BBQ :grin:

Last edited:
My new turntable arrived and we've been testing it out with my old Duran Duran LPs. Yes, this is a rare promotional copy of Rio and no, it's not for sale, 3rik 3rik! :wink:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

And here's one for Voros Voros...original copy of Sticky Fingers from 1971, complete with working zipper:
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Dumarest Dumarest What distinguishes that rare promotional copy of Rio from the regular one?

I was always disappointed that I got the 1981 version of Duran Duran - the eponymous debut album - that doesn't have Is There Something I should Know? on it. This was added to the A-side on the 1983 US re-issue.

Putting on more classic LPs from my collection. I love how they used do put all kinds of goodies in album packaging.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Ordered some LPs of albums I don't currently have on vinyl, or never had on vinyl. Had to limit myself to 6 for now as I just paid a heap of taxes on the 15th. To help me narrow it down that much I decided to select only albums released in the mid- to late-1970s that I know I can play all the way through without lifting the needle except to change sides. And even then I had to set some aside for later.
8188cLleEML._SX425_.jpg
R-1663765-1474494214-7996.jpeg.jpg
5119b9b79d80057173df84ece010612f.jpg
rs-182344-20150120.jpg
R-378698-1407158809-2608.jpeg.jpg
highres-fleetwood-mac-rumours_sq-bd15e71f50b6fbd94288a16014a69c8092ad9ff5.jpg

Last edited:
It has a stamp from the record company on it saying "PROPERTY OF CAPITOL RECORDS"
I'm sure that makes it pretty rare and all that, but I prefer to not have stamps on my record sleeves.

How did you get a hold of it? "Property of Capitol Records" suggests you stole it. :wink:

I'm sure that makes it pretty rare and all that, but I prefer to not have stamps on my record sleeves.

How did you get a hold of it? "Property of Capitol Records" suggests you stole it. :wink:
I was only pulling your leg about rarity. It's probably not common, but every radio station and record shop around would get copies of those and eventually they'd get stolen. I got mine from a used record store that was liquidating all its vinyl circa 2000. On day one everything was a dollar, day two fifty cents, day three a quarter, day four ten cents. I walked away with as many Los as I could reasonably carry and spent a total of maybe $10. At ten cents a pop, it was worth buying a whole album even if I only liked one track on it. :thumbsup:

Mac Rebennack aka Dr John.

For the longest time I only knew of him for the couple of hits he had in the 1970s that would occasionally play on the radio or turn up on a film sound track.
I only found out about this other side of him from the movie Cannery Row, where he performed the piano solos used in the film without credit. Sadly he joined the big band in the sky last year.

A pretty amazing duet

His biggest hit and what most probably know him for.

You're not implying you only like one track from Rio, right? :wink:
I play Rio all the way through. But I have stuff like City Nights by Nick Gilder just for "Hot Child in the City."
R-1469507-1381812943-1265.jpeg.jpg

And Let Me Entertain You by Ann-Margret just for "I Just Don't Understand."
ab67616d0000b27384d5a997b297e54678eea32b.jpeg

1955-1961 - Miles Davis and John Coltrane

I was only pulling your leg about rarity. It's probably not common, but every radio station and record shop around would get copies of those and eventually they'd get stolen. I got mine from a used record store that was liquidating all its vinyl circa 2000. On day one everything was a dollar, day two fifty cents, day three a quarter, day four ten cents. I walked away with as many Los as I could reasonably carry and spent a total of maybe $10. At ten cents a pop, it was worth buying a whole album even if I only liked one track on it. :thumbsup:

Promo copies also become available because music writers sell their promos to pay the rent. I used to do it when I was younger and wrote on music enough to get on the press lists.

Promo copies also become available because music writers sell their promos to pay the rent. I used to do it when I was younger and wrote on music enough to get on the press lists.
It was obtained via Voros Voros' thieves' guild, apparently.

Voros Voros in his younger days...
PH_thief attack.png
2019-04-11.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite LP by one of my all-time favorite bands:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

This should be in everyone's album collection. My only complaint is I know they had enough quality songs that they could have had a double-LP the equal of London Calling.

In the 90s I worked with this guy, kind of a sheltered red neck dude and Walk on the wild side came on the radio. He was kind of grooving to it and all of a sudden he caught on to the theme of the song and was like "whoa, this isn't about a girl, she is a dude". Once the shock wore off he was like, "its still a pretty good song". He wasn't very worldly but at least he had an open mind. He didn't sing along with it anymore though. :grin:

In the 90s I worked with this guy, kind of a sheltered red neck dude and Walk on the wild side came on the radio. He was kind of grooving to it and all of a sudden he caught on to the theme of the song and was like "whoa, this isn't about a girl, she is a dude". Once the shock wore off he was like, "its still a pretty good song". He wasn't very worldly but at least he had an open mind. He didn't sing along with it anymore though. :grin:
Was he also a fan of "Lola"? Might be an underlying issue...:wink:

I've had this album over 40 years. The jacket exterior looks it, but it still plays great today. This is the first non-compilation album I ever got. Tied with Rubber Soul for my 2nd favorite Beatles album.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
My first two albums (they also still sound great):
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

I'm certain there's lots of people here who like that song and have no clue whatsoever what it's about. Same with Lola. I'm always snickering inside whenever one of these is playing on the radio at work.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back