What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lofgeornost

Robot Head from Pluto!
Reaction score
Another generation joined the family business:

[
"Jambalaya" is one of those songs I remember from my childhood; a local station played old country songs.

In the 'Is the OSR Just D&D' thread in the roleplaying forum a couple of people have mentioned that they don't have favorite singers or bands, just songs that they like. Thinking about this, I wondered if it is in part the effect of new media.

When I was young and my musical tastes were being set, about the only way you could experience individual songs was on the radio. You could still buy 45s with a single on them, but mostly we bought and listened to albums. So that's how I tend to think about pop music: I like particular bands or albums and I often listen to a whole album, or at least as much as I have time for.

Distribution of music over the internet changed that entirely, of course. Now it's probably a lot more common to download a particular song and you can easily have your own personal eclectic playlist. In the old days, that required a mix-tape or something similar.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this, I wondered if it is in part the effect of new media.
Not for me. There were very few albums that I could just listen to in total. The first album I bought was Pyromania (used at a Comics and Record shop), and I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing. I'd take the album and record the individual tracks onto cassette.

The one thing I do miss about albums is the transitions that they had from one song to another at times.

The best example that I still love was Kiss to Anotherloverholeinyourhead.

You can't even listen to the two songs anymore and get the effect since they recut it to trail off rather than mix.

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Before I got deep into metal, I was very into Ice-T, and listening to this album again, realizing one of the reasons Black Sabbath resonated so much with me was because he sampled them a lot (that must be why when I first heard Black Sabbath or War Pigs, they instantly clicked for me):

Stevethulhu

Studiously Indifferent
Reaction score
Before I got deep into metal, I was very into Ice-T, and listening to this album again, realizing one of the reasons Black Sabbath resonated so much with me was because he sampled them a lot (that must be why when I first heard Black Sabbath or War Pigs, they instantly clicked for me):

Say Ice-T to me and this is where I automatically go.

The soundtrack to my old Cyberpunk 2020 games.

Giganotosaurus

I'm a traveler of both time and space
Reaction score
An extended version of Forgotten Vale, by Jeremy Soule

This piece was always my favorite of Skyrim's music. It plays in a section of a DLC, where you are exploring the snowclad ruins of a near extinct elven civilization. Journeying through the secluded mountain valley that has been left un touched by outsiders in thousands of years gives a certain sadness to the music. It's helped by the melancolic choir, almost as if the spirits of an effectivly extinct people are singing one last hymn before they too pass to dust like so many before them.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com