What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Listening to Senjutsu, Iron Maiden's new album

I am still absorbing it. I find with newer Iron Maiden albums it can take time to determine how much replay they get. This one seems like it will be up there with Brave New World or A Matter of Life and Death (in terms of newer albums I go back to frequently). But it is a bit more of a slow burn (which I don't necessarily mind). Here are a few tracks from the album. Senjutsu is the opener. I have heard complaints that it is too plodding for an Iron Maiden opener (lots of people suggesting Stratego as the opener). I have to say I kind of prefer the build up and I think Senjutsu has a very sweet melody on the chorus (one of the hallmarks of this album for me is the chorus melodies). Some of the songs have an almost folky sound, which I like. But there is plenty of distinctly Steve Harris composition on here too. These are all definitely mostly longer songs (though there are a couple that clock in under 5 minutes. If you are someone who tends to dislike their longish music, or dislikes the repetition of some of their sections, this is maybe not going to appeal to you so much (I've always liked the longer songs). Again, I've only listened to it a few times, and I find with these newer Maiden albums, it isn't till you've gone back to them quite a bit, do your opinions on the songs start to crystalize (there have been songs I loved at first that I wasn't as into later, but some songs I overlooked that I constantly go back to now). So far I am really quite enjoying it.

There are complaints that Dickinsons vocals are muffled a bit. I do think that there is a muffled sound to the vocals. I believe what they were going for was the sound of the band in the whole room playing together (and the muffled ness is meant to be the sound of a live PA---which I think it sounds like). Personally I would have liked a little more crispness on the vocal tracks but your ears adapt to it pretty quickly either way.

Luther Broad Motel, by Young Scrolls
A nice Jazz remix of Elder Scrolls music.

This isn't something I'm listening to, but this seemed like the best thread for it.

Do you sometimes find yourself thinking about, or even humming, a song you haven't heard or remembered in a very long time, maybe decades? It happens to me. On some occasions, I can figure out why--perhaps I heard the track as Musak in a store, or something--but in other cases I have no idea.

Anyway, lately I've had Cheap Trick's "Dream Police" running through my brain, which is odd, since I was never all that fond of it. Even weirder, some glitchy circuit in my consciousness has decided it would be better if it were a song about Fish-and-Wildlife officers checking to see you've not caught more than your legal limit.

The bream police, they come to you in your boat,
The bream police, whenever you are afloat...

Bossa nova is one of my favorite music genres (both to listen to and play), I've been on a bit of a kick the last month or so. I never cared much for Sergio Mendes' pop-infused Brasil ['65/66/etc.] group, but his bossa-jazz stuff is great -- albums like The Swinger from Rio, Beat of Brazil, and this one which sadly never got a CD release:

One of my all-time favorites:

Listened to Andrew WK's latest album, God Is Partying, on my run this morning.

It's pretty good. I heard the single Babalon a while ago and forgot about it, but I enjoyed it more in the context of the album. No One to Know and I Made It were good runners. I'm in Heaven is kind of weird and reminds me a little of Awolnation. The album's got a kind of darker sound than his last, You're Not Alone, but still delivers AWK's signature uplifting feeling in the end. I can see this having a place in my run mix (running is definitely partying).

Nice! I hadn't heard of her before... but that groove in that track is nice. Checked out the album and the whole thing is a banger.
I'm usually not too enamoured with current hiphop/rap. The beats and (lack of) melody really turn me off most of the time. But there is still the occasional stuff that catches my attention. Anderson .Paak is another contemporary rnb/rap/hiphop/funk/soul artist that has some tracks that I like and I can appreciate his overall musicianship (and drumming!).

I'm usually not too enamoured with current hiphop/rap. The beats and (lack of) melody really turn me off most of the time. But there is still the occasional stuff that catches my attention. Anderson .Paak is another contemporary rnb/rap/hiphop/funk/soul artist that has some tracks that I like and I can appreciate his overall musicianship (and drumming!).
My two (relatively) recent finds are Tobe Nwigwe and D. Smoke. If you haven't seen them yet, I'd recommend both.

and my anthem

Someone posted this... which is good all on its own...

But the whole time, I couldn't help thinking about my favorite Pac jam

Just found this recommended on Youtube for some reason, but if one ever wanted a sound track for a rocketpunk setting -

My two (relatively) recent finds are Tobe Nwigwe and D. Smoke. If you haven't seen them yet, I'd recommend both.
The beats often used in rap/hiphop these days are not my thing and I really dislike obviously autotuned vocals.

I have a multi-disc DVD set of Caligula. The interviews with Helen Mirren and others are often more entertaining than the film itself because of the crazy and funny stories they have to tell about making the film.

Based on the era, and theme of the film I imagine many, many kilos of drugs were consumed during the making of the film. I'm rather surprised that cast members can even recall making the film.

Apparently it's a genre called electro-swing. Here are a couple of compilations in the fan-out from the track above.

I'm not really sure what sets electro swing apart from the retro swing bands from the 90s like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry Popping Daddies, Royal Crown Revue, Squirrel Nut Zippers Bette Midler or The Brian Setzer Orchestra but I like old swing, retro swing and some of what is now Electro swing.

some more recent

Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire (2016)

5 years already since this came out. This was my 2016 album of the year, and it's stayed in regular rotation for me since. It's one of those albums that I never skip a track on.
Last year's Ravening Iron is a pretty solid follow-up.

[ . . . ]
I'm not really sure what sets electro swing apart from the retro swing bands from the 90s like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry Popping Daddies, Royal Crown Revue, Squirrel Nut Zippers Bette Midler or The Brian Setzer Orchestra but I like old swing, retro swing and some of what is now Electro swing.

A lot of the stuff - but by no means all - in those compilations is covers of stuff from the '20s or '30s. Some of it is obviously modern. However I couldn't tell you the difference between electro-swing or swing hop - or techno and trance, or any of the zillion dialects of heavy metal for that matter.

The beats often used in rap/hiphop these days are not my thing and I really dislike obviously autotuned vocals.
Those two don't have autotuned vocals. Nor vocals in general in that way. They both use their own beats too... pretty refreshing, so I'd recommend it.

“There will be chronic food shortages and gas shortages and people will live in hovels. Paradoxically, they’ll be surrounded by computers the size of wrist watches. Calculators will be cheap. It’ll be as easy to hook up your computer with a central television bank as it is to get the week’s groceries. I think we’ll be cushioned by amazing technological development and sitting on Salvation Army furniture. Everything else will be crumbling. Government surveillance becomes inevitable because there’s this dilemma when you have an increase in information storage. A lot of it is for your convenience – but as more information gets on file it’s bound to be misused.”

- David Byrne (NME, 1979)​

Rocking out to this:

Nah just joking heh heh :grin:, but my sister used to play that far too loud all the time, heh heh :sad::sad::grin::grin:

Last edited:
To which my response was usually Faith No More, heh heh :thumbsup:

Gee I miss those days of Faith No More, they were quite ahead of their time :thumbsup:

(Strangely, after all these years, I can tolerate and even like my sister's NKOTB now.
Just shows you that the contemporary dribble like K-Pop and Urban/R&B on the radio these days really lowers one's expectations, heh heh) :blah:

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back