What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The often overlooked Welshman Karl Wallinger dba World Party:

His name makes him sound like he should be an Austrian economist.

I actually first heard this on a Beatles bootleg before I heard the original. I love how in the first minute additional instruments and voices keep getting added to his backup. Arthur Alexander has a lot of good songs.

The Beatles version is pretty awesome too. Love the stage talk over George's solo. Sounds like Paul and John.

Last edited:
The best punk cover ever...

You accidentally posted the wrong link. :wink:

Just kidding, but actually I like the Clash's covers of "Police and Thieves," "Brand New Cadillac," "Wrong 'Em Boyo," and "Revolution Rock" more than their version of "I Fought the Law."

Not a Clash fan although I like some of their tracks. Some of my fav punk covers.

Then again, I'm not sure how any of that is more "punk" than this cover of Chuck Berry:

From what I've read, written for Frank Sinatra.

To be fair, her milkshakes really do bring all the customers to the counter...

To be fair, her milkshakes really do bring all the customers to the counter...
Better than most of the Top 40 chickadees today. Plus she's cute. But that egregious rhyme of "lemon" with "given" really grates on me.

The 55-second intro kicks ass...what a bass player, too.

Mixed in with the dreck of most "Britpop" were some real gems. The best part is the change at about 46 seconds in. You'll hear it.

I happened to be in England in 1991 and 1992 when Blur came on the scene and nobody called it Britpop yet. I had heard their album Leisure with pap like "There's No Other Way" on it and didn't think much of them until I heard this single and the accompanying LP.

I had the British version of the LP and they helpfully printed all the chord names on the lyric sheet above the words, so I learned a lot of the tunes as a result. These two I can still play without having to think about it at all.

[You don't hear a lot of G#min to G, G to C#min, and G#min to Gdim5 changes ("For Tomorrow") or F#min to F#maj and C to B7 changes ("Blue Jeans") in pop music so it sticks in your mind.]

Last edited:
Never liked Depeche Mode but for this one song that stuck in my head. I like how in the midst of all the synths and programming you can hear the guitar player's hand sliding on the strings as he plays.

One of my favorites and probably the cleanest production I’ve ever heard.

Never liked Depeche Mode but for this one song that stuck in my head. I like how in the midst of all the synths and programming you can hear the guitar player's hand sliding on the strings as he plays.

It's very New Order-y, though.

One of my favorites and probably the cleanest production I’ve ever heard.
I fully admit to not really "getting" Pet Sounds. I'm definitely a Beatles guy first.

Been enjoying this band a lot lately:

I've also been loving this song and video combo, sung by Dan Avidan from Game Grumps:

Last edited:
Trying to remember what band these guys opened for when I saw them, probably 1993, San Francisco...I want to say The Sundays but I'm not sure. Anyway I always liked this song and used to love layering guitar tracks and the challenge of coming up with different but complementary parts to play.

One of my favorite Lou Reed songs. Got to see him one time at Spreckels Theatre in San Diego in 1992, right after this LP was out. My friend who went with me, a know-it-all, said Lou wouldn't talk between songs, wouldn't smile, and wouldn't play any "oldies." Wrong on all counts. Lou played several VU songs and popular stuff like "Walk on the Wild Side" as well as songs off his more recent solo records...after uncompromisingly playing the entirety of his new album in order and at length.

Trying to remember what band these guys opened for when I saw them, probably 1993, San Francisco...I want to say The Sundays but I'm not sure. Anyway I always liked this song and used to love layering guitar tracks and the challenge of coming up with different but complementary parts to play.

Was it The Swirlies? Underrated US underground band with a very good drummer who went on to be a regular session player for lots of other artists.

Was it The Swirlies? Underrated US underground band with a very good drummer who went on to be a regular session player for lots of other artists.

No, but I found the date (3/19/93) and set list! Amazing what can be found online now.

Edit: also confirmed it was The Sundays as they played there the same date.

Last edited:
No, but I found the date (3/19/93) and set list! Amazing what can be found online now.

Luna were pretty good, I have a record or two of their's around here, they were a splinter from Galaxie 500 who also produced Damon and Naomi who had some sweet records, including one with the Japanese psych band Ghost I particular liked.

Turns out that was a big concert week for me as I saw Paul Weller at the Warfield on Thursday (3/18/93) and then both Luna and The Sundays the very next night (3/19/93) at the same venue!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back