What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The Easybeats performing in Germany. For me the best part starts at about 9:24 but all of it is good.

I had a hell of a time finding this on YouTube because I was searching with wrong song title. All these years I've thought it was "Gonna Have a Good Time Tonight" because my Easybeats compilation album renamed it on the track listing. Apparently the correct title is "Good Times." Great tune. Supposedly Paul McCartney, after hearing it for the first time on the radio in 1968, called the station immediately to request they play it again.

Last edited:
Apparently Judee Sill wrote this song after J.D. Souther broke her heart. i find her combo of religious imagery and soul/folk very moving, her tough life and sad end also haunt her music.

Apparently Judee Sill wrote this song after J.D. Souther broke her heart. i find her combo of religious imagery and soul/folk very moving, her tough life and sad end also haunt her music.

The author tells about that in Waiting for the Sun. J.D. broke everybody's heart.

Remembering when I saw Home of the Brave many years ago. I also saw her show circa 2004 at UCSD, but can't remember what it was called.

One of these days I need to get a hold of Mark E. Smith's book...in the meantime, it's hard to believe MTV ever played anything by The Fall but here is your proof:

Nobody sounded like General Norman Johnson. And yes, that was his actual real name!

JOHNSON-obit-popup.jpg

This morning, I was listening to Spellcaster's album Under the Spell. Traditional metal with some horror-esque lyrics. Seemed appropriate for the day before Halloween.

At their creative peak from the late '70s to the early '80s, I don't know that any other band was on the level of Talking Heads.

Any one of these tracks by itself would be reason enough to remember Talking Heads, but the 1979-1983 run of the Fear of Music, Remain in Light, and Speaking in Tongues era was incredible.

Talking Heads were so on fire, easily the best mainstream bands of the 80s.

Annotation.png
The Daisy Chain, an all-woman rock band from Fullerton, recorded exactly one LP released in 1967. They had a unique blend of garage rock, folk, and psychedelia:

Some very interesting use of saxophone in this one:

I find this track most appealing due to the unusual harmonies and melody, not to mention the spacey squiggles at the beginning and end. Also features some nice harmonica and drumming:

More Southern California music, this time from Marc Eric Malmborg, who made just one LP that was released in 1969 and sank without a ripple. Havily influenced by the baroque Pet Sounds period of Brian Wilson, it was like "What if Brian Wilson didn't burn out and instead went solo at the end of the '60s?":

Last edited:

Been listening to this song on a loop and brainstorming ideas for a very dark spin on Batman, one that openly embraces and celebrates the "edgy" nature of the Dark Age of Comics and amplifies it.

Let's put it this way, my version of Batman actually kills and my version of Bruce Wayne is an unhinged and aristocratic libertine in the vein of Tony Montana and the Marquis De Sade.

Imagine if Charlie Sheen was Batman, and then put him in a deliberately edgy adaption of Hamlet that takes a few notes from ultra-violent anime OVA's like Angel Cop, Mad Bull 34, Genocyber, and Ninja Scroll, with a strange ghost revealing that Bane was ultimately responsible for the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne and that he must be destroyed.

The main villains are Bane and Poison Ivy (Poison Ivy serving as Bane's second-in-command) and there are new characters introduced as well, such as Laertes Gordon, the party-hardy dudebro son of Commissioner James Gordon and brother of Barbara Gordon (AKA Batgirl) who becomes traumatized in the events of the story and becomes The Joker (and ends up as one of Bane's most potent weapons against Batman in the final act)

Imagine if Kenneth Branagh directed a Batman movie inspired by Shakespeare, but it was a gritty old-school anime OVA that was also rated NC-17....

Personally, I think it'd be awesome and would make the best Batman adaptation since the animated series from the 90's.

Last edited:
Just got this going in the background while doing some chores:

It's like New Age ambiance and Doom Metal had a love child.

Maybe the most credible rock song ever written for a movie: had you heard it on the radio in 1968 there's nothing about it that doesn't sound like it couldn't have been written and performed by a real cross between the Doors and the Grass Roots.

It was real enough that legitimate bands covered it:

Last edited:
I'm going on record declaring Culture Club was one of the very finest acts of the early 1980s:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

Exhibit E:

The Troggs were so sloppy and rockin' they couldn't help being the perfect inspiration for every garage band: if you couldn't sing or play a complicated Beatles chord progression and harmony arrangement, you couldn't even manage to ape the Rolling Stones' British take on electric Chicago blues and R&B, you could at least master the Troggs' repertoire!

The gentler side of the Troggs (also my favorite of their recordings):

To illustrate the genius of the Troggs, here is the original version of "Wild Thing," which most everyone assumes the Troggs wrote. To take this song and turn it into eternal rock'n'roll dynamite was no small achievement:

Okay, get ready for some rhyme crimes from the 1980s...

Stumbled across these little treasures from the downunder '80s music scene...some Aussie New Wave.

I remember having this first track on cassingle, but it got chewed up in my new walkman after about a month
- I'm pretty sure I win Peak Aussie Gen X Moment here :shade:

...and while we're at it, some more New Wave/New Romantic tracks from Australia in the mid '80s...

Memories of stonewash jeans, Skate Nights and Blue Light Discos (underage teen entertainment in the 80s)

Last edited:
I had a hell of a time finding this on YouTube because I was searching with wrong song title. All these years I've thought it was "Gonna Have a Good Time Tonight" because my Easybeats compilation album renamed it on the track listing. Apparently the correct title is "Good Times." Great tune. Supposedly Paul McCartney, after hearing it for the first time on the radio in 1968, called the station immediately to request they play it again.

Yeah The Easybeats were known as the 'Australian Beatles', and they were the forerunner to AC/DC - the oldest Young brother was in this band with Stevie Wright on vocals.

" Friday On My Mind" was an even bigger hit for them.

"Good Times" also got covered by a collaboration between Jimmy Barnes & INXS in the 1980s, which was pretty huge in Australia at the time, and somehow made it onto the soundtrack for The Lost Boys film. Great track

Last edited:
Sometimes I'll just play song after song on youtube by artists that I've never heard of. There's a lot of very odd stuff and some really high quality stuff. It is not uncommon for these sets to intersect.

This was very nice and reminded me quite a bit of Chance the Rapper.

Silly inconsequential fun.

Make of this what you will. I quite liked it.

Sometimes I'll just play song after song on youtube by artists that I've never heard of. There's a lot of very odd stuff and some really high quality stuff. It is not uncommon for these sets to intersect.

This was very nice and reminded me quite a bit of Chance the Rapper.

Silly inconsequential fun.

Make of this what you will. I quite liked it.

Wow, that was a bit of a trip, you just saved me from doing heavy drugs... :grin:

I feel like this is really an East German band trying really hard to fool you into thinking they're Australian. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying why. :clown:
heh heh
Ze Frauline iz Australian!

Fun fact: The Takaways were a fictional band who were part of a short-lived Australian tv series, and this was the theme song. So everyone in the clip are actors lip synching.

However it was very indicative of the art music scene at the time, and the track will resonate with some Aussies of the Gen X vintage.

The actual vocalist, Deborah Conway, went on to local Australian fame in an art scene band called Do-Rey-Mi, then onto further solo pursuits as an indie singer/songwriter artist in the 90s. She was very cool, look her up.

But yeah, the Takeaways was cashing in on the New Wave/New Romantics scene, with aesthetically more than a nodding reference to bands like A-Ha and such

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back