What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I like the whole LP and got to listen to it in its entirety today, but I think my favorite track is "Have a Cigar." Usually I hate rock stars writing about the record business but this song is entertaining, maybe largely due to Roy Harper's delivery.

From Boom, the second LP by the incredible Sonics: "Louie Louie" rendered almost unrecognizable by these five guys who rocked so hard they made every other group of 1965-1966 sound like a bouquet of wilted flowers.

Voros Voros, you should enjoy this!

Can't recommend the Sonics highly enough to anyone who digs that mid-'60s "garage rock" sound. These guys were possibly the greatest of them all. Demented and rockin' so hard the needle jumps out of the groove and begs for mercy.

From Boom, the second LP by the incredible Sonics: "Louie Louie" rendered almost unrecognizable by these five guys who rocked so hard they made every other group of 1965-1966 sound like a bouquet of wilted flowers.

Voros Voros, you should enjoy this!

Love the Sonics, always feel a kinship with the great rock bands of the Pacific Northwest and the Sonics are the root of it all. Never heard this track by them though, love it.

Love the Sonics, always feel a kinship with the great rock bands of the Pacific Northwest and the Sonics are the root of it all. Never heard this track by them though, love it.
Let us not forget the mighty Wailers, from Seattle and no relation to Bob Marley's band. This first track blew my mind the first time I heard it, but all are incredible:

Last edited:
The Exploding Hearts of Portland, Oregon: 3/4 of this band were killed in a motor vehicle accident at the tragically young ages 20 to 23, just three months after their debut LP was released.

Another great 45 from 1966, but here's Percy Sledge peforming it live and in person:

You might think "James & Bobby Purify" is a made-up name, but James Purify really was his name. Bobby Purify, however, never existed--and there were two of him! First was James Purify's cousin Robert Dickey who adopted "Bobby Purify" as a stage name. (The original "Bobby Purify" retired from music for health reasons and took a civilian job. Then, a few years later, Ben Moore became the new "Bobby Purify." He later lost his sight and joined the Gospel group Blind Boys of Alabama.)

I like to describe their sound as "imagine Sam & Dave relaxing on a Sunday afternoon":

Brenton Wood...more than just "oogum boogum." The man had such a smooth and creamy voice.

Gotta love the old-school monologue over a song:

"...those lovin' fools Romeo and Juliet, they thought they had a thing goin'..."

One of my all-time favorite recordings:

I put on a collection of the great Johnnie Taylor's Stax recordings. You should, too.

Enjoying a couple of singles from the Big Thing LP of 1988, which largely seems forgotten even by Duran Duran, coming out in that Lost Weekend period they had between Notorious and their eponymous "comeback" album. I remember at the time it seemed they had fallen out of favor for a long time when really it was just a few years. I still think these are two of their most interesting singles, totally unlike their earlier or later styles but insanely catchy with some interesting lyrical content:

I don't know how they performed on the charts, but I think they would have done a lot better if it hadn't been cool at the time to pretend Duran Duran sucked and they had been judged simply on their merits as pop songs.

Last edited:
This single seems to have disappeared into the mists of time. I never hear it played.

When he was so overflowing with good songs he could give away hits for others to record. I like this demo better than the 1969 Mary Hopkin single that went to #2 in the British charts (ironically kept from the #1 spot by "Get Back," another McCartney song).

The Jackson Browne era that tends to be glossed over...but there were some really good tunes in '82-'83.

Pop songs don't get much better than this:

Enjoying a couple of singles from the Big Thing LP of 1988, which largely seems forgotten even by Duran Duran, coming out in that Lost Weekend period they had between Notorious and their eponymous "comeback" album. I remember at the time it seemed they had fallen out of favor for a long time when really it was just a few years. I still think these are two of their most interesting singles, totally unlike their earlier or later styles but insanely catchy with some interesting lyrical content:

I don't know how they performed on the charts, but I think they would have done a lot better if it hadn't been cool at the time to pretend Duran Duran sucked and they had been judged simply on their merits as pop songs.

FWIW they still perform these two songs as part of their live shows at times.

Usually I only find footage of bands miming their hits on TV shows, but I happened upon this in-concert performance by the Electric Prunes. I had never even heard the first song before. Dig the guitar solo and heavy bass...the second song is their hit:

I'd never even heard of Richard and the Young Lions before today. Sounds a bit like Them with a fuzz bass.

"Steve Miller happened to be there recording, late at night, and he just breezed in. ‘Hey, what’s happening, man? Can I use the studio?’ ‘Yeah!’ I said. ‘Can I drum for you? I just had a fucking unholy argument with the guys there.’ I explained it to him, took ten minutes to get it off my chest. So I did a track, he and I stayed that night and did a track of his called 'My Dark Hour.' I thrashed everything out on the drums. There’s a surfeit of aggressive drum fills, that’s all I can say about that. We stayed up until late. I played bass, guitar and drums and sang backing vocals. It’s actually a pretty good track." - Paul McCartney

Surely I'm not the only one who watches Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran music videos and thinks, "Hmm, that would be a fun James Bond 007 premise: the PCs are M.I.6 operatives who travel the world under the cover of a glamorous pop band's concert tours and video shoots..."

I thought we needed one of these threads. It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

I am currently listening to Hank Williams sr. To the disgust of my partner, who despises country with a passion.

What were you drinking?

Listening to the demo album Up From The Grave by a band called Cematery (the misspelling is intentional)

They were a small-time metal band in the Detroit area back in the late 70's-early 80's that had a horror theme. From what I can tell, they mostly did live shows and this demo tape is their only full-length release that has survived to the modern day and is extremely rare to boot. The band's lineup were mostly teenagers and some of them became part of other Midwestern metal bands as they got older.

Another interesting yet morbid fact is that their drummer died in a black mass ritual at the age of 17.

Carry On Wayward Son (metal cover by Leo Moracchioli feat. Truls Haugen)

SITAR METAL - When Time Stands Still (Official Video)

Just saw Tyler Childers in Nashville. Easily one of the best concerts I’ve been to...great performance, great light show and the best crowd energy I’ve ever seen.

I saw Queensryche this past Tuesday, with John 5 and Eve to Adam as the opening acts. Pretty good show all around. New 'Ryche sounds pretty good.

Been listening to Revolution Saints (who are pretty awesome), and checking out George Lynch's new project, Dirty Shirley.

Heyyy music thread, long time no post.

Myself, I’ve been listening to rock’n’roll. Lots of Thin Lizzy, what an amazing band. You know when you’re listening to the radio, or a shuffle, or a Spotify random playlist and suddenly a song comes in that jumps out and grab you? Yeah, well, somehow I had missed this one until very recently:

Thin Lizzy has a really eclectic sound ranging from metal to hard rock, to southern rock.

Some late eighties geek/indie rock crossover.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back