What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

... not me. 'Cause I throw hands. :hehe:

This is a mood to go with my "I hate people" t-shirt.

The only Smiths record I have as it collects a lot of A-sides and B-sides and I never thought their albums were ever good all the way through, but they released a lot of great singles. Missing a few songs I really like, though.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

I'm a huge Julie London fan yet somehow I have no memory of ever hearing this before today when it was played on our local jazz radio station:

So...effing...great!

Sampled by PE.

Sheezuz, I knew I had heard that rift somewhere!

I only discovered Lafayette Afro Rock Band a year or two ago (thanks Internet), but I would of actually heard Public Enemy's sampled version of their material first, many years ago.

Both are cool, but the original is still better :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Stax...the most consistently great record label ever? Show me their better.
71DWvm5L2XL._SL1073_.jpg
I was writing descriptors and superlatives for these cuts, but deleted them all because they speak for themselves:

Say what you will about the Blues Brothers, and I largely agree, but if nothing else they gave much deserved exposure to some great musical artists and made me seek out the originals of some of the tunes they hamfistedly covered, like this first selection:

Gotta love "I was goin' through my old man's pockets this morning..." :tongue:

One of the best intros ever:

Last edited:
While buying some stuff for my kids from Amazon I ended up ordering this for myself...
SFW40019.jpg

Found myself whistling this unprompted today...took a minute to recall the title and artist.

This is cool. The bass lines were already so similar and then the lyrics are almost opposite ends of the same story as they "duet."

Pretty impressive how natural those disco/funk tracks sound behind the rock vocals. I'd think it may piss off some rock purists (who always seem to ignore obvious disco-influenced tracks like I Miss You and Trampled Underfoot)..

Pretty impressive how natural those disco/funk tracks sound behind the rock vocals. I'd think it may piss off some rock purists (who always seem to ignore obvious disco-influenced tracks like I Miss You and Trampled Underfoot)..
The guy who did those is Bill McClintock and he clearly puts a lot of effort into making sure the keys and tempos work together, even mixing different parts together and maybe sometimes looping them, so he must have some kind of equipment he's using. I think a lot of why the funk and disco tracks work so well is they tend to stay in one key longer as the groove goes on, making it easier to match it up with another song's melody. Some of those "mashups" I like better than the original songs.

As for purist fans in any genre, I think they'd be surprised to see the record collections of the musicians they idolize. At least in my experience, the best musicians will listen to anything good with no regard for where it came from. Remember, Chic thought they were a rock'n'roll band and had to be told they were funk/disco.

Just some of my favorite Kinks tunes...

The crossover we've all been waiting for!
You know, if you add a spiked flail to the face and dressed them both up like the Road Warriors it's not that far off.

Ordinarily I hate "Smoke on the Water." But I dig this. Who knew all it needed was a disco infusion?

From memories of my Childhood in the latter part of the 1970s, this riff will always be associated with ads for Woodford Glen Speedway. Not that I actually gave a shit about it, but they did run fireworks displays from time to time and the local TV played their ads every two-and-a-bit with that riff. Fortunately, I can't find a video of the ads, so I'll just drop some footage of an actual race.

And, yes, where I grew up the road signs often featured a few bullet holes.

Fell down a Youtube hole and discovered this album by Ruins of Beverast. Stunningly good black metal from a one man operation.

I don't listen to much hardcore these days, but in the mid-to-late 90s, it was the perfect soundtrack to my late teens and early twenties. I dug all the Pacific Northwest hardcore bands, but really felt a special connection with this band, TRIAL. I can't even count how many times I saw them between '95 and their breakup in 2000.

Here's the first song from their 2005 reunion show. I was at this show, but I'm not in the video. By 2005, I was one of the (relatively) old guys in the balcony, not one of the kids screaming into the microphone and doing backflips off the stage.

I'm posting the studio version below the live version in case you want to actually hear the words, lol.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back