What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I really liked that jazz-hiphop wave that hit us during the 90s and Digable Planets were my favourite. Pity they only made two albums.
Totally agree- if you like them there are two other releases you should be on the lookout for - the 2005 compilation is mostly old stuff, but has some new tracks on it. There's also the live album on bandcamp -

Have I mentioned recently that I have a fondness for ridiculously over-the-top things?
I fear no evil, EVIL FUCKING FEARS ME!!!
. Also, pretty cool to do your music video as a post-apocalypse/zombie movie. Also, melodic keyboards over mosh riffs always make me smile.

Totally agree- if you like them there are two other releases you should be on the lookout for - the 2005 compilation is mostly old stuff, but has some new tracks on it. There's also the live album on bandcamp -

Blowout Comb is a hip hop masterpiece, I went out and bought it immediately upon reading a negative review in RS based on my 'RS is 180 from the truth' rule.

Shabazz Palaces are awesome and feature Butterfly from DP.

Blowout Comb is a hip hop masterpiece, I went out and bought it immediately upon reading a negative review in RS based on my 'RS is 180 from the truth' rule.
I am not familiar with RS's overall review credentials but this particular reviewer must have been totally full of shit.

I am not familiar with RS's overall review credentials but this particular reviewer must have been totally full of shit.

I remember the line 'more likely to rock a opium den than a block party' which apparently was supposed to be a bad thing and knew this was the kind of album I would dig.

I remember the line 'more likely to rock a opium den than a block party' which apparently was supposed to be a bad thing and knew this was the kind of album I would dig.
Reachin' is my favourite of the two, but Blowout Comb is a really cool album as well, and probably more interesting and engaging in the long run.

Borough Check ( We Live In Brooklyn ) Featuring GURU

RIP Guru (1961 - 2010)

Last edited:
Reachin' is my favourite of the two, but Blowout Comb is a really cool album as well, and probably more interesting and engaging in the long run.

Borough Check ( We Live In Brooklyn ) Featuring GURU

RIP Guru (1961 - 2010)

Love them both but yeah BC is the one I returned to again and again.

You just picked my favourite track from the album that my wife and I will repeat lines to each other which we find hilarious because we've never been to Brooklyn. For our anniversary a few years ago she got me BC on vinyl.

Regarding reviews, I recall reading a review in some guitar magazine of the Deftones album White Pony, where the reviewer said it "sounded like The Cure trying to play heavy metal." It was clear from the tone of the article that the reviewer meant that statement as an insult, but my reaction was "that sounds fucking awesome!"

Nah... Pacifics is my jam

If you got some beef please express that in silence. Or else. Violence.

Old

New

chuckdee chuckdee I believe I already posted their whole KEXP performance earlier on in this thread. That drummer is tight!

It's cool to see a number of people here appreciate DP. In my group of friends I was the one discovering them by chance and preaching about them to everybody.

The rapper/singer in our band PB Sandwich looked a little bit like Doodlebug but we were less jazz and more funk based. The idea was to start with funk and hiphop and add elements of rock, pop, reggae, disco and anything else we liked. We ended up often sounding somewhat like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, though none of us was really a fan of them.

Last edited:
chuckdee chuckdee I believe I already posted their whole KEXP performance earlier on in this thread. That drummer is tight!

It's cool to see a number of people here appreciate DP. In my group of friends I was the one discovering them by chance and preaching about them to everybody.

The rapper/singer in our band PB Sandwich looked a little bit like Doodlebug but we were less jazz and more funk based. The idea was to start with funk and hiphop and add elements of rock, pop, reggae, disco and anything else we liked. We ended up often sounding somewhat like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, though none of us was really a fan of them.

Oh, you did... I just wanted to focus on Pacifics as my favorite track. I love that more than the usual suspects- it's just something about the groove and the everyday lyrics.

Butterfly/searching for a relax/pulling from the jazz stacks/cause it's Sunday
On the air is incense/sounds to the ceiling/trying to get this feeling since Monday

That groove... that flow. I just feel this track deeply...!

Wake up/praying that the game's on/maybe it's the Running Rebs/maybe it's the Knicks
Maybe it's a rerun of an old TV show/like Hawaii 5-0 or karate flicks

I remember those Sundays chilling, watching Black Belt Theater... yeah, this is my jam.

I completely forgot about this band. I'm glad I still have a working iPod Classic & glad I still put it on shuffle, so it can remind me of stuff like this:

And on a completely different note, Liz Gillies covering fast car:

Oh, you did... I just wanted to focus on Pacifics as my favorite track. I love that more than the usual suspects- it's just something about the groove and the everyday lyrics.

That groove... that flow. I just feel this track deeply...!

I remember those Sundays chilling, watching Black Belt Theater... yeah, this is my jam.

I love slice-of-life hip hop lyrics too.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back