What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

The Hurrian Hymn to Nikal no. 6, the oldest complete piece of music. Circa. 1400 BCE.
It was discovered on a cuneiform tablet in Syria. The tablet included the notes, lyrics, as well as instructions on how to play a type of lyre.
This piece of music survived the Bronze Age Collapse, the rise and fall of religions, empires, wars, peace's...
It's such a simple little tune, but something about it just scratches an itch I get every once in a while.

The Hurrian Hymn to Nikal no. 6, the oldest complete piece of music. Circa. 1400 BCE.
It was discovered on a cuneiform tablet in Syria. The tablet included the notes, lyrics, as well as instructions on how to play a type of lyre.
This piece of music survived the Bronze Age Collapse, the rise and fall of religions, empires, wars, peace's...
It's such a simple little tune, but something about it just scratches an itch I get every once in a while.

Interesting how widely present the drone is in early folk musics from around the world.

The great Davy Graham explored this as did Coltrane.

So Pink Floyd's PULSE concert from 1994 is a favorite of mine if I'm dropping on some music from Youtube. Mostly I listen to it but don't watch. Having watched a little just now, I have a serious question. Who the fuck sets up their drum kit so that they have to jump up in the goddamn air to crash the cymbals?

I'm not kidding. What's up with that? I'm hoping there's a rational explanation...

So Pink Floyd's PULSE concert from 1994 is a favorite of mine if I'm dropping on some music from Youtube. Mostly I listen to it but don't watch. Having watched a little just now, I have a serious question. Who the fuck sets up their drum kit so that they have to jump up in the goddamn air to crash the cymbals?

I'm not kidding. What's up with that? I'm hoping there's a rational explanation...

I am pretty sure the one doing the jumping is actually a percussionist. He appears to be standing, which is common. The one on the right is the actual drummer and he is definitely seated. As usual, concert films do a shitty job of actually showing what each musician is doing and guitarists and singers get way more attention. Drummers and percussionists only get a shot when they're doing something "impressive", like soloing (or jumping while simultaneously hitting two cymbals).

Drummer is original Pink Floyd member Nick Mason.
Percussionist is Gary Wallis, who is also a drummer.

Last edited:
I think the one doing the jumping is actually a percussionist. He appears to be standing, which is common. The one on the right is the actual drummer and he is definitely seated.
I was hoping for a more exciting answer. :grin:

I've loved this song, Motorcycle by Jade Jackson, for a while. TIL it has a really cool video.

I was hoping for a more exciting answer. :grin:
I didn't watch the whole thing, but it does seem like the percussionist has two kick drums, which could easily make one mistake him for a second drummer. I had to look twice before I could sort of make out what was going on. It is apparently quite possible to play a kick drum while standing and it is not unheard of for percussionists to add a kick drum to their set-up. (Playing two at the same time for a longer amount of time would probably put you in an uncomfortable and unbalanced position, so he may just have two of them because it looks more impressive, or they may be tuned differently or something like that.)

Skipping through the concert some more, it seems possible that the percussionist can switch to a seated position and become a second drummer. Like I said, interesting stuff like this is unfortunately often very difficult to make out in concert films. The whole thing is a bit too long for me to watch in detail completely.

Around 1:20:00 drummer Nick Mason is standing while playing the rototoms. The bass drum pulse you hear at the same time is played by percussionist Gary Wallis on an electronic pad, using his right hand.
Around 1:21:45 the drummer switches to a seated position.

Last edited:
Saw then live and they were amazing. Page Hamilton sweated so much under the stage lights he slipped on his own puddle of sweat and had to wipe it up with a towel, all while not losing a beat in the middle of a solo.
It's crazy to think about it. A band at the time being lumped in with the alternative movement with a bandleader who is a conservatory educated jazz (:crossed:) guitarist who was influenced by the noise movement from New York and having hardcore(punk) roots, but they really set the blueprint for pretty much all modern metal, metalcore, post-hardcore and anything else with heavy guitars with those minimalistic, syncopated guitar riffs. It's so groovy.

I heard Dave Grohl (finally) discovered Cardiacs. It's a total oxymoron that band. It's very proggy (to the max) with everything and the kitchen sink being thrown in, but it's still catchy. It changes styles as much as Mr. Bungle, but it always sounds cohesive.

Saw then live and they were amazing. Page Hamilton sweated so much under the stage lights he slipped on his own puddle of sweat and had to wipe it up with a towel, all while not losing a beat in the middle of a solo.
They had a song on the first Crow soundtrack, which is where I first heard of them.

March of Cambreadth Knights & Dragons, by Heather Alexander
I've been listening to a lot of "Filk" music recently to balance out all the Rush I've been listening to.

The Gang's All Here is probably my least favorite Dropkick Murphys album... but "least favorite Dropkick Murphys album" is still a really good album. Here are a few standout tracks from it.
I used to listen to them a lot more than I currently do, but recently I got the urge to pull out an old favorite of theirs:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back