What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
All right, who the fuck plays Portuguese fado

and Argentinian tango

at 3am in the morning?

(Didn’t wake me up but still I can’t quite appreciate my unnamed neighbor’s chutzpah. And I actually like these songs, as opposed to the Sarah Brightman lyrical-pop thing that seems to have followed these two)

EDIT: just followed into this gem of an aria.

And now Michael Jackson for some reason. You do you, neighbor.

Last edited:
When you're Hot, you're Hot!

Now imagine that instead of Craps their playing a pen&paper back in the alley.

Jerry Reed was quite talented, it is too bad that for many he is only known from Smokey and the Bandit and for the theme songs for those movies.

One of my favorites

Complete homage to Basil Poledouris's masterpiece. Works great at any table (or for coding SQL, and writing reports)

And for my own pleasure... I'm still in Queensryche-mode.

Love the Raconteurs! (pretty much anything Jack does is gold.)
I love how he comes up with melodies and lyrics that are, by almost any metric, pretty simple and straightforward, but the resulting songs are still catchy as hell.

Revisiting some 90s underground classics.

My wife made me watch a TV show called The Umbrella Academy and it had a dance sequence to Tiffany's version of "I Think We're Alone Now" in it, which led ro me digging out my Tommy James and the Shondells LPs, which in turn led to me finding these really good performances by Tommy James. I have no idea when or where these were recorded, but I'm guessing late 1980s based on the hairdos and clothing. He sounds great. He's so underrated for a guy with so many great songs.

If you're not familiar with the tale, Ritchie Cordell, the writer of "I Think We're Alone Now," a huge hit for Tommy James, accidentally put a tape of that song on backwards and liked the way it sounded and turned it into "Mirage," another hit based on the first song's chord progression and rhythm in reverse.

It was also kinda ballsy to put them both on the same LP!

Both are great pop songs but I think "Mirage" just edges out "I Think We're Alone Now" due to Tommy James' vocal performance. Listen to how he veers from the placid, dulcet opening lines into
frantic, impassioned delivery just after the "and oh how" lyric up to "and my imagination is so strong." It also helps that the singer's perspective is utterly irrational and he's possibly seeing things that aren't really there, misinterpreting events, and reading into things like an obsessed stalker:

"I see you standing in the alleys

And the hallways

You're gone now

I run to touch you

But you vanish through the doorway

And, oh, how

Hard it is to live without you

I love everything about you

Now I know you're really gone

But my imagination is so strong

That I see you coming into view

And your face is telling me that you

Oh, yeah, oh, want to be by my side

Oh, yeah, oh, now it's finally time

Mirage, that's all you are to me

Mirage, something I only see

So I keep walking

Through the alleys and the hallways

Where are you?

I keep remembering

The kissing in the doorways

The car, too

How it all comes back to me

The movies every Saturday

The place we used to go to eat

I want so much to have it like it used to be

That I see you coming into view

And your face is telling me that you

Oh, yeah, oh, want to be by my side

Oh, yeah, oh, now it's finally time

Mirage, that's all you are to me

Mirage, something I only see"

That brief moment in the early 1990s when Paul Westerberg tried playing the game and it seemed like he might break through...I remember seeing the movie "Singles" with a bunch of girls my freshman year at SFSU...I hated "grunge" then and I still hate it now. These songs were the only bright spots on the soundtrack LP. I seem to recall having these as a single with "Dyslexic Heart" as the A-side. Haven't heard these in years but I used to cover "Waiting for Somebody" regularly a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Last edited:
From harcore hiphop to Torme’s album of Fred Astaire songs (all the songs come from the classic Astaire musicals). I think Torme is one of the finest male singers in jazz, if he was more conventionally handsome I think he would have been a huge pop singer in the 50s.

Love this snippet from Wikipedia: "Leonard Bernstein described the symphony as the first musical expedition into psychedelia because of its hallucinatory and dream-like nature, and because history suggests Berlioz composed at least a portion of it under the influence of opium. According to Bernstein, 'Berlioz tells it like it is. You take a trip, you wind up screaming at your own funeral.'"

Love this snippet from Wikipedia: "Leonard Bernstein described the symphony as the first musical expedition into psychedelia because of its hallucinatory and dream-like nature, and because history suggests Berlioz composed at least a portion of it under the influence of opium. According to Bernstein, 'Berlioz tells it like it is. You take a trip, you wind up screaming at your own funeral.'"

And part of the fifth movement from it was used for this, which I am guessing most people here are familiar with.

I heard this song somewhere and was looking around for it:

Xanadu by Olivia Newton-John
Instead I found this song:

Xanadu by Rush

I'm now listening to the Rush version instead of the Olivia Newton-John version.

I really like the Xanadu movie songs she sang. They have some unexpected chord changes, all the more unexpected as they were written for a pop movie. Plus Olivia Newton-John was smokin' hot.

Given that it's April 15th today, I thought this would be appropriate:

A couple of ultra nerdy but awesome new music videos for openSUSE Linux have come out recently. FYI, the openSUSE Linux mascot is a green chameleon.

I really like the Xanadu movie songs she sang. They have some unexpected chord changes, all the more unexpected as they were written for a pop movie. Plus Olivia Newton-John was smokin' hot.

Big crush on her when I was a kid. The video for 'Let's Get Physical' is crazy campy. I loved Xanadu as a kid too but haven't been able to track it down as an adult, I wonder if it's on YT.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back