What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
pretty nifty cover of what I consider one of the most beautiful songs in history...

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other day. It's been Queen all the way ever since. It's not Freddie's song, but it is a personal favourite.

I though Top of the Pops was always acts miming their hits, but this is obviously a live performance. The only instruments you hear are those on stage, and the instrumentation is not the same as on the recording, plus he sings it a bit differently. Man's voice was clear as a bell.

I though Top of the Pops was always acts miming their hits, but this is obviously a live performance. The only instruments you hear are those on stage, and the instrumentation is not the same as on the recording, plus he sings it a bit differently. Man's voice was clear as a bell.

Some of the punk band's Top of the Pop's performances seem like they had to be live.

I've been taking a first aid class and we got to the CPR module recently so I got this stuck in my head cause it's got the same rhythm you're suppose to keep compressions at:

Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees

I had occasion to drive out to East County this afternoon and was listening to the Bangles' cover of "Going Down to Liverpool" and noticed its production and arrangement is unlike anything else I've heard by them. Debbi Peterson, the drummer, sings an aggressive lead but the ethereal backing vocals (I think by Susanna Hoffs as it sounds like her) are really memorable, plus the group harmony at the end of the chorus is nice. The drums are unusual as I don't hear any ride or crash cymbals at all, just a simple bass-snare-bass pattern throughout, no fills at all, plus some shaker(s) and tambourine. There's a really nicely strummed acoustic part throughout as well, sounds like maybe three chords altogether but I haven't tried working them out to check. The electric lead is prominent and split in two parts in stereo while the bass guitar just thuds along with no unnecessary notes. There's also a very subtle piano part that comes in during the third verse and complements the other instruments nicely. I wonder if this song had a different producer than other tracks they recorded contemporaneously or why it stands out as so different even to songs on the same record. I prefer it to the original by Katrina and the Waves.

I had occasion to drive out to East County this afternoon and was listening to the Bangles' cover of "Going Down to Liverpool" and noticed its production and arrangement is unlike anything else I've heard by them. Debbi Peterson, the drummer, sings an aggressive lead but the ethereal backing vocals (I think by Susanna Hoffs as it sounds like her) are really memorable, plus the group harmony at the end of the chorus is nice. The drums are unusual as I don't hear any ride or crash cymbals at all, just a simple bass-snare-bass pattern throughout, no fills at all, plus some shaker(s) and tambourine. There's a really nicely strummed acoustic part throughout as well, sounds like maybe three chords altogether but I haven't tried working them out to check. The electric lead is prominent and split in two parts in stereo while the bass guitar just thuds along with no unnecessary notes. There's also a very subtle piano part that comes in during the third verse and complements the other instruments nicely. I wonder if this song had a different producer than other tracks they recorded contemporaneously or why it stands out as so different even to songs on the same record. I prefer it to the original by Katrina and the Waves.

One of the Bangles inducted the Zombies into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (ugh). Her speech was quite touching, she was obviously a real fan, I can hear some of the Zombies production touches on that track.

I am an unbashed and die hard tool fan. I am so damned excited for the new album. I expect it will likely be their last, because they'll be dead before they get around to a new one. who knows.

Currently cranking up the album that introduced me to Shonen Knife.

Growing up where country music was pretty much the default background radiation, most of it bounced off me pretty hard.

There were, however, exceptions...

It happens. I mainly listen to metal and synthwave anymore, but Black Oak Arkansas' debut album has been one of my favorites since I was a child. It's just so damn organic and weird and great. They had their moments after this, but they never again came close to recording such a perfect album.

Never saw the Replacements but managed to see Paul Westerberg once in 1993, I think prior to his debut solo record, and again around 2004-2005. Lucinda Williams came onstage to duet with him on one song at the latter date. She wasn't on the bill so a lot of the audience didn't even know who she was as I don't think they mentioned it.

Thinking about The Replacements makes me want to get my Minneapolis on :smile:

See if you can name all of the songs:

And, of course:

Thinking about The Replacements makes me want to get my Minneapolis on :smile:

See if you can name all of the songs:

And, of course:

Husker are fuckin' kings! R.I.P. Grant Hart.

I love when the US punks fucked with orthodoxy by covering songs that punks were supposed to not dig.

I'm chillin' to this.

While we're on the subject of covers, most "heavy" bands seem to think that adding distorted guitars and screaming makes every cover "cool", when in reality it just makes most of them suck (looking at you Limp Bizkit/Papa Roach/Korn). There were some extreme bands, however, who seemed to understand how to build upon the originals... with metal!

Unsure of the provenance:

Album version:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back