What are you watching?

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was aware it got cancelled. I just noticed the whole season was on the CW app/Roku Channel, so I figured it would be the next CW series I'd watch after Stargirl. I'm on the 3rd episode, and definitely see how different it is from the original. It seems a bit more grounded.
It was also made to focus on marginalized individuals a lot more than before. It has the typical 1st season wobbles in how everything comes together, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Simlasa

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Still watching my way through the MCU... I'm up to the Captain America Winter Soldier movie... which I've been told is a good one.
I did enjoy the Avengers, and Iron Man 3... though it seemed to play fast n' loose with the durability of the Iron Man suit, in light of what had gone before. Plot armor given, plot armor taken away.
Still... kinda missing my usual diet of film noir and horror movies.
Oh, and we watched The Landlord (1970) the other night... THAT was pretty good, no one was bullet-proof in that one.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
People spend enough time at work and home surrounded by 4 walls and tied to their latest 5G dopamine-dealing parasite. Go see a bigass movie on a big screen, the way the God Emperor intended.
I just don't see the reason to deny people choice. Some people don't want to (or can't for various reasons) get out. Some people will want to for the reasons you state. Just don't see the reason it has to be either/or.

CRKrueger

Eläytyminatör
Reaction score
I just don't see the reason to deny people choice. Some people don't want to (or can't for various reasons) get out. Some people will want to for the reasons you state. Just don't see the reason it has to be either/or.
It will be released to streaming, just not immediately. Incentivizing theater attendance is good for everybody.

soltakss

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just finished Another Life, which was an enjoyable SciFi romp that tried to take itself very seriously.

Not sure what to watch next.

I want to watch Stranger Things and The Boyz, but not one measly episode at a time, so am waiting for the whole Seasons to come out before I watch them.

Last edited:

carpocratian

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I prefer visiting the cinema when there are few or no other people.

I quit going to theaters long before Covid, even. The "theater experience" is largely more negative than positive, at least when it comes to my preferences and what I enjoy. Even when I was going on occasion, I tried to pick a time when I thought there would be relatively few people there.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It was also made to focus on marginalized individuals a lot more than before. It has the typical 1st season wobbles in how everything comes together, but overall, I enjoyed it.
I just finished it, thanks to a very quiet day at work (and hitting some episodes yesterday, and finishing up after work today). It started off a little slow for my tastes, but I liked the darker, somewhat dystopian direction it went in. Also, I thought it was cool that they cast Patrick John Flueger (who was Shawn in the original series) as Caleb. It is a bit sad this didn't see a second season. I was hoping Rev was going to end up like Jordan did later in the original series (since they seemed to fit similar roles, and basically had the same power).

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was hoping Rev was going to end up like Jordan did later in the original series (since they seemed to fit similar roles, and basically had the same power).
I was definitely most intrigued by his character. He had a lot of conflict going on in his background and everything that was happening around him. He was crafty- but naive in certain ways, which was very unexpected. I could see him as a force for 'good' or 'evil', just depending on which way things landed.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was definitely most intrigued by his character. He had a lot of conflict going on in his background and everything that was happening around him. He was crafty- but naive in certain ways, which was very unexpected. I could see him as a force for 'good' or 'evil', just depending on which way things landed.
It was also interesting that people totally misjudged him as having ulterior motives, but really did have good intentions for those who became his congregation. They did a good job painting him as possibly having such ulterior motives too, but other than his own prejudice (which goes to his upbringing imho), his faults seemed more a product of the time he lived in. I figured that he, Shanise's ex and Hayden would all come back together to help direct the 4400 better now that the main issue was dealt with (or so it seemed). Much like Jordan did in the original, when he seemed less nefarious than he did early on in the series.

After that, I took a break from serious stuff, and hit up some old Jim Gaffigan specials on Netflix, and a couple of Def Comedy Jam episodes on Plex. Then I dived into the final season of NCIS: New Orleans to watch the two part season opener, which dives right into how bad the pandemic was becoming while they still try and do their jobs.

zanshin

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to the new series of Stranger Things - watched the first two episodes. The horror is definitely going up to 11 (pardon the pun).

Mankcam

Coiner of Thread-Falls, & Inadvert Founder of Swo'
Reaction score
Finally got round to the new series of Stranger Things - watched the first two episodes. The horror is definitely going up to 11 (pardon the pun).
Yeah its very Nightmare On Elm Street this time, almost Hellraiser (not quite).
Kinda fitting, given its now the late 1980s, and the kids are getting older, I was about the same age at the same time
Great stuff!

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It's a lot darker and definitely a lot more gory than before. But it's not gimmicky... up to episode 5 and they've definitely upped the writing and tension also. I'd say it's very close to Hellraiser.

Dyrnwyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I disagree on that point.

Almost every movie is on a streaming service eventually, and usually not long after it's released. It's not like the old days where you had to wait almost a year in some cases for a movie to be available for home rental. But if movies don't have that exclusivity period for theaters to make money, eventually there will be barely any movie theaters at all.

It's fine if you don't like movie theaters, but some of us do, and would like to be able to have that experience in the future. There's a difference between having to wait to do something, and not being able to do it at all.

Plus, I sometimes like to watch movies at a volume that would get me a noise complaint from my apartment neighbors if I tried to recreate it at home. Also, I don't like the idea of having to subscribe to a bunch of different streaming services to keep up with movies I want to see. Sometimes going to a theater is just easier.

That said, with how hard it can be to find a theater that isn't only showing blockbusters and Franchise Sequel #348, sometimes I can only watch something on streaming anyways.

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
I started watching The Venture Brothers again. The show held up well over the past ten years. I would pay for a GM to run a game in the Venture universe using FASERIP but they'd have to be pretty talented to pull it off.

We watched and enjoyed The Man With the Iron Fists. I am not saying it was the greatest film ever but it's rare that a film or television show can hold my interest for more than 5 minutes these days so just finishing a film means that it wasn't boring (which is more than I can say for most). The film felt a little rough around the edges but with some extra polish, TLC and budget it could have been another classic like Kill Bill. Bunny and I both felt like the film was originally a lot longer and then was pruned way too much.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Almost every movie is on a streaming service eventually, and usually not long after it's released. It's not like the old days where you had to wait almost a year in some cases for a movie to be available for home rental. But if movies don't have that exclusivity period for theaters to make money, eventually there will be barely any movie theaters at all.

It's fine if you don't like movie theaters, but some of us do, and would like to be able to have that experience in the future. There's a difference between having to wait to do something, and not being able to do it at all.

Plus, I sometimes like to watch movies at a volume that would get me a noise complaint from my apartment neighbors if I tried to recreate it at home. Also, I don't like the idea of having to subscribe to a bunch of different streaming services to keep up with movies I want to see. Sometimes going to a theater is just easier.

That said, with how hard it can be to find a theater that isn't only showing blockbusters and Franchise Sequel #348, sometimes I can only watch something on streaming anyways.
I remember when there was a similar drive to protect physical recorded media. The industry survived, in spite of the idiotic acts of people that were convinced that it wouldn't if it happened.

There's a similar thing with movie theatres. Streaming is not going to kill movie theatres. It might not make as much money or they might have to alter the experience and step up their game, but streaming is not going to kill it. Choice for the consumer is rarely a bad thing, and in this case, the only thing that choice impedes in relation to the movie industry is ridiculous profits, not survival.

Last edited:

Simlasa

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Not much of what I actually want to see is going to make it to the theaters around here... and, like others have mentioned, I also stopped going to theaters long before Covid hit (with a rare exception).
But streaming isn't my ideal either... especially when it comes to older movies and 'foreign' films. Criterion is my best option for those, but it can't cover everything. So physical media DOES remain a valuable resource for people who don't want to blow on the whims of the streaming sites.

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
After my Savage Worlds game on Friday, my player who always stays to hang out afterwards mentioned the score of the NBA Finals game.

Me: Do you want to watch it?
Player: Points to my laptop- I don't think it's on YouTube.
Me:... I have regular TV.

We flipped on the regular TV and watched the second half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter. I pretty much lost all interest I once had in the NBA when the Seattle SuperSonics ceased to exist, but I was still happy to see the West Coast team win.

ZDL

Reaction score
People spend enough time at work and home surrounded by 4 walls and tied to their latest 5G dopamine-dealing parasite. Go see a bigass movie on a big screen, the way the God Emperor intended.
I'm going to have to agree to disagree here. Pre-2020 I saw precisely four movies in theatres in the previous 20 years. I don't enjoy the theatre experience in the slightest. If movies go back to "only in theatres" the translation in my mind is "this is not for you".

Dyrnwyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I remember when there was a similar drive to protect physical recorded media. The industry survived, in spite of the idiotic acts of people that were convinced that it wouldn't if it happened.

There's a similar thing with movie theatres. Streaming is not going to kill movie theatres. It might not make as much money or they might have to alter the experience and step up their game, but streaming is not going to kill it. Choice for the consumer is rarely a bad thing, and in this case, the only thing that choice impedes in relation to the movie industry is ridiculous profits, not survival.

I don't think the situations are comparable. With recordings, people were arguing against digital formats and downloading altogether. With movies, I don't see anyone saying streaming movies shouldn't exist the way they did for digital music, just that they should wait until theaters have had time to show them.

I think 30-60 days of a movie being exclusively in a theater is a good compromise. Maybe shorter in some situations. Attendance usually has dropped off a cliff after five or six weeks anyway. And it's a much shorter time than people used to have to wait to see it at home.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don't think the situations are comparable. With recordings, people were arguing against digital formats and downloading altogether. With movies, I don't see anyone saying streaming movies shouldn't exist the way they did for digital music, just that they should wait until theaters have had time to show them.

I think 30-60 days of a movie being exclusively in a theater is a good compromise. Maybe shorter in some situations. Attendance usually has dropped off a cliff after five or six weeks anyway. And it's a much shorter time than people used to have to wait to see it at home.
I think the situation is totally comparable- they weren't arguing against digital media, they were arguing against control of music and hidebound mentality of what the music industry looks like.. You're looking at only the media, but I'm looking at the standard paradigms of distribution, and everything surrounding it. Those making money want the industry to look like what it has looked like in the past, instead of embracing a future where that still exists, but other things exist in parallel. And using a limited time and spurious statistics to justify that they hybrid solution doesn't work. Some movies are experiences in the theatres and those that want that experience will go out and see it.

Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
The music industry was not improved at all by digital 'distribution.'

It is popular to claim that major labels only suffered but they had the mountains of cash (built on the CD goldrush) to not only survive but actually assert even more control. To this day despite the supposedly 'decentralized' nature of the net no one can break through at a mainstream level without a major label backing them.

Smaller labels and non-major-label distribution evaporated and most bands or musicians not at the superstar level were rendered incapable of making a decent living so I'm not sure that makes a good argument about the harmlessness of digital distribution of films.

I worked in the music industry in broadcasting, recording and live music production and at no level were the tech changes of benefit to the artists themselves, internet utopianism claims otherwise.

One can say 'that's just the way it is and you adapt or die' but that ignores that tech takes place within a society and money and business interests play an outsize role in determining what we do or don't see as 'the way it is.'

When it comes to movies, like music in a live setting to me nothing will replace seeing a good film in a theatre. And I don't mean only flatly shot action movies.

I'm totally in favour of films being made more accessible via streaming (and lots and lots of important films are not available via streaming) but not at the cost of no longer being able to see them in a theatre.

I don't want films to go down the same alley music did where live music is reduced to a niche taste that can barely sustain the artists (big time pop singers aren't the only ones who should be able to make a living playing music) and recorded music is a loss leader at best.

Last edited:

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm totally in favour of films being made more accessible via streaming (and lots and lots of important films are not available via streaming) but not at the cost of no longer being able to see them in a theatre.
I think this distills the whole thing down to it's basis. No one is saying that you shouldn't be able to see things in a theatre on the streaming side. However, those on the theatre side are saying that there should be a period of exclusivity which I don't think is necessary for theatres to survive.

Lofgeornost

Vulpine once more.
Reaction score
Earlier this week my wife and I finished Stranger Things, season 3, courtesy of DVDs from a local library. Oddly, we had a lot of trouble with the second disk, even though it did not show much in the way of scratches or damage. But in the player it acted as though it were heavily scratched, eventually freezing totally during the second episode on the disk. Nothing I could do would make it play.

The next day, we tried it in another DVD player elsewhere and it played without difficulty. Then when we took it home and tried it there, voila, it worked fine. It's enough to make me believe in gremlins.

Rich H

Bear with me; learning not to be an arse!
Reaction score
Me and my partner (girlfriend, I don't know; what the fuck do you call someone that you aren't married to when you're 49?!?) are rewatching Game of Thrones because I've got hold of two different fan edits for seasons 7 and 8 that, reading each of their synopsis, seem to much improve the climax of the show. We'll watch both versions and keep the best one.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I started watching the docuseries Web of Make Believe on Netflix. First one was interesting (it covered the concept of "Swating", where people make fake calls in order for Swat to go to someone's house). The second was pretty political, as it covered the conspiracies that popped up when that DNC staff member was killed before wikileaks posted all those DNC emails. All I will say about that is Julian Assange is a fucking scumbag (and not because of the emails). The third one was about some woman who ended up in a Neo-Nazi group because she wanted to make things work with her douchebag boyfriend. I had no sympathy for this woman whatsoever as her story just made me think she was just stupid for what she did.

It's a good show so far. 3 more episodes to go, which I know I'll finish by Saturday

carpocratian

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The only weekly shows I'm watching right now are "Obi-Wan Kenobi" and the latest season of "Alone." Despite some canon changes, I'm enjoying "Obi-Wan" in general, mostly because I just really like the way Ewan McGregor portrays him. This season of "Alone" is better than last season, but given the editing hijinks that you get with any "reality" show, I'm mainly interested in watching some of the interesting solutions the people come up with to various survival/bushcrafting problems.

When it comes to watching old seasons of TV shows, I have just started "The Great British Sewing Bee," a competition show about (you guessed it) sewing. This is following my viewing of all the seasons of "The Great Pottery Throwdown" and "Best in Miniature," and my ongoing attempt to watch every season I can find of both the British and American versions of "The Antique Roadshow." I may be a middle-aged American man, but at heart I'm an elderly British woman. :smile:

TJS

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a Norwegian series, Beforeigners, a murder mystery set in a world where people from 10,000 years ago, the 19th century and the Viking Age have started appearing in modern Norway by some means no one understands and have basically become refugees.

One of the main characters is a shield maiden from the 10th century who has retrained as a cop.

It's been enjoyable so far.

carpocratian

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a Norwegian series, Beforeigners, a murder mystery set in a world where people from 10,000 years ago, the 19th century and the Viking Age have started appearing in modern Norway by some means no one understands and have basically become refugees.

One of the main characters is a shield maiden from the 10th century who has retrained as a cop.

It's been enjoyable so far.

I watched both seasons of that a few months ago. I really hope they do another season, particularly given the revelations at the end of the last one.

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
I quit going to theaters long before Covid, even. The "theater experience" is largely more negative than positive, at least when it comes to my preferences and what I enjoy. Even when I was going on occasion, I tried to pick a time when I thought there would be relatively few people there.
Also, nowadays the volume is sometimes so loud you need ear protection for a visit to the cinema, which is just ridiculous. I do enjoy seeing a film on a large screen but I don't need large sound, not that large.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com