What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just watched Prey. Great flick! And some thought we were going to have the same beats with a female character- those people are in for a surprise. I'd say it's my second fave of the series, edging out Predators.

We started watching Sell Your Haunted House on Netflix.

I've fallen into the black hole of the football season (take your pick which one).

As a UK resident it's Game Pass all the way, and no real horse in the race, which means I watch with a more laid back approach, although I do have a slight favouring for the silver and black and whoever Efe Obada is playing for (unfortunately the renamed Commanders this year, so no real play off prospects).

For the other football season all the local teams are now in League One (actually the third tier of English football) or the Conference (the fifth tier), although don't really follow them religiously either!

The women did brilliantly in the summer, a feat the men won't repeat this winter.

Scrubs is one of those shows I've always intended to watch and never got to.
There is a character (The Janitor) who obviously springs from the main character's imagination but now the rest of the cast can see him too so the logical conclusion is that the janitor is a tulpa.

There is a character (The Janitor) who obviously springs from the main character's imagination but now the rest of the cast can see him too so the logical conclusion is that the janitor is a tulpa.
I guess you can see it that way, though I’ll have to admit it never occurred to me when I was watching the show, which enjoys breaking the fourth wall and including lots of in-jokes (e.g. one of Sarah Chalke’s character’s nicknames is ‘Other Becky.’)

As a Scrubs watcher, though, I’ll have to say that the key questions IMO are:
1. Does he have two thumbs?
2. Does he give a crap?

So I finally caught Pussycake via the Popcorn Frights film festival. While it has Evil Dead influences, it's horror is sort of sci-fi based. It was enjoyable, and hopefully does well when it debuts on Screambox.

I'm now watching When the Screaming Starts, a British mocumentary about a guy who wants to become a serial killer.

I'm now watching When the Screaming Starts, a British mocumentary about a guy who wants to become a serial killer.
So that ending up being more interesting than I thought. It starts off kind of comedic, with the wannabe serial killer and his GF recruiting a "family". It started getting more serious once the killing actually starts. I thought it would be a good movie, but I think it turned out better than I was expecting.

So I tried to watch this movie called Leech, but it wasn't a horror movie (or interesting enough to keep me watching). So I started a French film called The Eyes Below. It was ok, but the movie was way too dark for the most part.

I'm trying to get in one last film, so I started The Creeping, a film from the UK.

I also caught the first episode of Kleo, a German tv show on Netflix. First episode wasn't bad, so I'll be checking out the rest of the series once I finish The Creeping.

So I got in The Creeping, which turned out better than I expected. It's a ghost story, but there's a slight twist behind the motivations of said ghost.

Looks like I have time to unlock one more film to watch tomorrow. I'm continuing with Kleo right now, as I needed a break from watching so many horror films.

Really interesting insight from Matt Damon on why we're getting the movies we are these days.

So after checking out one last film in the Popcorn Fights film festival (the not very interesting Bad Girl Boogie), I dove back into Kleo. This Netflix series from Germany is way more fun than I thought it would be. The lead is so much fun. I should be finishing this today, as I only have 2 1/2 episodes left

Mike Mignola: Drawing Monsters is a fun documentary about the creator of Hellboy. As a casual fan, it's a fascinating look into his career, his relationship with Del Toro and the Hellboy movies, and a lot more. Lots of commentary from the likes of Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Del Toro, Neil Gaiman, artists and writers who've worked on books in the Hellboy universe, and more. I think this is definitely a must see.

I backed the KS, but havent gotten my rewards yet. My name is supposed to be in the credits though

I went to watch Community, but I've cancelled Netflix already (I was watching the Good Place and various Transformers series, but I just can't justify it for a couple of shows. Sighs.) I have books to buy!

Figures they would drop this the same month as something I'm trying to avoid.

And speaking of Amazon Prime, a couple years ago I watched the D&D art documentary Eye of the Beholder on it. No idea if it's still there, but I saw it on Hoopla recently & I know some of you use that (if you don't, check your local library).

Watched Mulholland Drive the other day. I'm not going to pretend I understood it, but I did enjoy it.

I think I do know what happens in it but it is running on pure dream logic so sweating the details is beside the point. The singer in the theatre performing 'Crying' was stunning to watch in the theatre.

I think I do know what happens in it but it is running on pure dream logic so sweating the details is beside the point. The singer in the theatre performing 'Crying' was stunning to watch in the theatre.
It’s not about understanding the plot with Lynch, he’s an artist whose medium is film as opposed to clay or paint, the goal is to go with how his works make you feel. I know that sounds weird but if you watch his work with that in mind it really does help otherwise you’ll drive yourself crazy trying to look for hidden meanings, connections and explanations. It was how I came to accept he wasn’t just flipping us the middle finger with Twin Peaks The Return.

I watched the new Stallone movie, Samaritan. It's a sort of superhero movie. It's ok for what it is, and there's a twist that I liked. Stallone is freaking ripped for a man his age. I wasn't a fan of the kid, but the main bad guy isn't bad as a psycho. It's not too high on special effects, which is fine given the character's power set. I don't expect it to be a film people will remember in a few years though, but I didn't feel I wasted my time watching it.

I appreciate Rick a lot but I’m sort of perplexed after watching many of his videos why he loves grunge so much. I would imagine he’s an outlier, for a person who’s almost 60, in that regard.

I appreciate Rick a lot but I’m sort of perplexed after watching many of his videos why he loves grunge so much. I would imagine he’s an outlier, for a person who’s almost 60, in that regard.
I'm in that same age range (A bit younger, thankfully) and grunge, 90s metal, and (some) 90's hip hop are my favorites. That was in my 20s and when I was just getting out of college and discovering myself, so I have a soft spot for it.

I'm in that same age range (A bit younger, thankfully) and grunge, 90s metal, and (some) 90's hip hop are my favorites. That was in my 20s and when I was just getting out of college and discovering myself, so I have a soft spot for it.
I was 18 when “Smells Like Teen Spirit” came out and I liked it. I don’t know if I ever loved grunge though. I always tended to like 70s and 80s hard rock the best. As I grew older my tastes actually went back in time even farther.

The music I heard when I was 18 didn't really stick with me as much- it was the music after I first got out on my own. I didn't really flourish until my later years in college and first years working.

I'm on a "catch up with Marvel stuff" kick right now. I started reading Marvel comics back in the 1970s, and despite not liking the way some of their print titles are going these days, I still really love that universe of characters. The MCU version is a mixed bag, but I like most of it. I was disappointed in the latest "Dr. Strange" movie, but I don't regret watching it. They could have done much more interesting things with it.

I am surprised to say that I actually liked the series "Ms. Marvel" on Disney+. I didn't expect to get past the first episode or two, but I ended up enjoying it. Several of the actors on the show were very charming.

I like "She-Hulk" so far. I figured it would be one of those things where they either do a good job with the show or really screw it up. When you look past the bad CGI (which doesn't bother me that much), it is pretty entertaining. I didn't think I would like the character in the comics, way back when she first appeared, but was pleasantly surprised then, too.

"Black Widow" ended up being better than the reviews made it sound, which is good, since I like that character a lot. I'm not happy with what they did with Taskmaster, but I enjoyed the movie overall. I really like David Harbour's version of "Red Guardian."

Next up is "The Eternals" and "Shang-Chi." The Eternals never seemed like a good choice for a set of characters for a movie (I never cared for them in the comics, either), and what I have heard about the way they do the Deviants doesn't sound promising, but we'll see.

I watched the new Stallone movie, Samaritan. It's a sort of superhero movie. It's ok for what it is, and there's a twist that I liked. Stallone is freaking ripped for a man his age. I wasn't a fan of the kid, but the main bad guy isn't bad as a psycho. It's not too high on special effects, which is fine given the character's power set. I don't expect it to be a film people will remember in a few years though, but I didn't feel I wasted my time watching it.

I wasn't aware of that one. I'm going to have to give it a shot.

Stallone has a long history of working hard to shape his physique to match the character he's playing. I have always been impressed by that.

Finally watched Cronenberg's latest, Crimes of the Future. Very much in the vein of Videodrome, Crash and Cosmopolis with very strange dialogue and character psychology.

Of course Mortensen, Stewart and the stunningly beautiful and talented Seydoux (there's a scene here between Seydoux and Mortentsen that recalls a similar scene with Kara Unger and Spader in Crash) are very good. Nice to see Don McKellar, a beloved Canadian actor and director, here just as he was way back in Cronenberg's Existenz.

This really takes and runs with Ballard's idea of a sf more interested in the psychological impact of our technology and changes to the environment. Aside from the grotesque and sexual body horror I think more sensitive parents out there should know this film also has some very disturbing images of child murder.

Pretty clear this is Cronenberg completely freed from any commercial concerns, like Lynch with Twin Peaks: The Return.

Rilakkuma and Kaoru return in Rilakkuma's Theme Park Adventure on Netflix!

1788cd_75db512e7dc7404e8f13eaa5d5254324~mv2.gif

"Black Widow" ended up being better than the reviews made it sound, which is good, since I like that character a lot. I'm not happy with what they did with Taskmaster, but I enjoyed the movie overall. I really like David Harbour's version of "Red Guardian."
The only thing I didn't like about Red Guardian is that they never really showed he was competent. Marvel seems to have a problem with having strong lead females and still having competent males that get a chance to shine in the movies. They can do the corollary- i.e. strong leading man with competent female that gets her chance to shine, but not the other way around.

Captain Marvel was another example of that, as they destroyed Fury's already known character for the sake of making Captain Marvel look more commanding. And they eye thing was just... ick. Took a bad ass comment from Winter Soldier and turned it into a joke.

Yesterday I watched Easter Sunday, the Joy Koy comedy. I liked it, but it would be more generic if it wasn't based on his family. Today I watched Glorious, and damn if it wasn't! Ryan Kwanteen does a great job, and JK Simmons (only providing his voice) steals the movie. A nice take on cosmic horror. Think I might watch Prey in a bit

I watched it as well, I called all the story beats, including the ending ten minutes. It was an okay way to pass some time.

I've seen a few episodes of Garo before. I need to go back and watch it again. There is also a Garo animation available on Hulu.

Since I couldn't access Hulu at work yesterday, I watched a couple of episodes of Magnum PI, then caught up more on Paper Girls. On the way home, I did start Prey, watching the Comanche dub. Just finished it. I really enjoyed it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back