What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
I've been following news on the Ukraine counter-offensive like a maniac and this guy manages to give the most informative breakdown I have seen thus far.

bleys21

Reaction score
I've been following news on the Ukraine counter-offensive like a maniac and this guy manages to give the most informative breakdown I have seen thus far.

I hate the suffering and horrific shit that this war has brought to Ukraine. But I am impressed as hell at their resilience, and their "fuck you, you're not taking our country" attitude against what should be insurmountable odds.

I'm sad that we (the US) never provided the military equipment before this happened that would have possibly dissuaded Russia from attacking, or at least given Ukraine a good shot at turning the Russian's back quickly after the initial invasion. Sometimes our political and military can't see stuff in front of their eyes... the Ukrainian people are willing to fight and die to be free, and we should have supported them long before this happened. </rant>

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Rewatched Two Towers and Return of the King and they do feel like a step down from Fellowship but I feel that's true in the book as well. Shelob is a great sequence though and Viggo makes Aragorn way more interesting and charismatic than the book version. Merry and Pippin are as annoying as ever though.

The extended false endings in Return is a major mistep though with some embarrassingly sentimental scenes, most infamously the bed sequence, dragging the whole thing down.

And I know that's just not me, when watching Return in the theatre the audience groaned when there was the fade in to the shire and then laughed at that collective expression of frustration.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with the endings in RotK, they each served a specific important narrative purpose, and it was a satisfying denouement for an 11 hour and 23 minute film.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I dumped Winterbeast after 10 minutes, because it didn't do much for me. Watched one of the Killjoy movies on Tubi. Turns out it was the third one, which bummed me out a bit (though it doesn't really matter from what I've read of the series). It was ok, but being Full Moon Pictures, cheesy. I also finished Fist & Furious on Tubi, which was a decent Korean action/crime drama

Started the new Jo Koy special on the train to work, and will finish it on the way home. Then probably back to an episode or two of Edgerunners (I couldn't watch it yesterday as I got stuck at work for almost an hour past my shift due to a miscommunication with the person filling in the afternoon slot)

Last edited:

deflagratio

Reaction score
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners was great. A good cyberpunk story set in the Cyberpunk 2077 universe. Note that it's from Studio Trigger and it does get anime as hell if you don't like that kind of thing. Good story telling. Lots of great nods to the video game.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with the endings in RotK, they each served a specific important narrative purpose, and it was a satisfying denouement for an 11 hour and 23 minute film.

The issue for me is less the purpose of each ending and more their execution.

To me Jackson loses tonal control after the eagles rescue Frodo and Sam and the film from there on out dribbles to the conclusion.

He strains for emotional effect when a more understated approach would gave been more effective.

Sean Astin's always steady performance is the only thing keeping it from collapsing into mush.

A lot of the flaws of the series compound as it progresses and become terminal in The Hobbit prequels.

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
This wasn't even on my horizon but the Willow series looks like it has potential.

I saw the original just recently. The overall themes were pretty standard but it was well done, despite a few cheesy effects. This looks a bit more mature. Hopefully it's a fun ride.

carpocratian

Legendary Member
Reaction score
How is it? I was thinking about watching it

I finished it the other day. It was entertaining enough to keep me watching, but I don't feel like they really "stuck the landing" on the last episode. To me, the biggest strength of the series was the actors. They did a good job of making the very different personalities of the characters consistent and believable. The "science" in it is a lot of nonsense, but that's pretty common with that sort of show. I'm not clear on whether they intend for there to be a second season or not, but I'll watch it if they make one.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
This wasn't even on my horizon but the Willow series looks like it has potential.

I saw the original just recently. The overall themes were pretty standard but it was well done, despite a few cheesy effects. This looks a bit more mature. Hopefully it's a fun ride.
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the trailer around Disney day (or whatever they call it).

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Rewatched Two Towers and Return of the King and they do feel like a step down from Fellowship but I feel that's true in the book as well. Shelob is a great sequence though and Viggo makes Aragorn way more interesting and charismatic than the book version. Merry and Pippin are as annoying as ever though.

The extended false endings in Return is a major mistep though with some embarrassingly sentimental scenes, most infamously the bed sequence, dragging the whole thing down.

And I know that's just not me, when watching Return in the theatre the audience groaned when there was the fade in to the shire and then laughed at that collective expression of frustration.

I like Lord of the Rings, and I like Peter Jackson, but for some reason that trilogy is one I always had to summon energy to watch (and I think I fell asleep watching the last two installments). My wife loves them (and she isn't normally into fantasy: at least Medieval style fantasy). I fell asleep through all the hobbit movies. I don' know what it is about that style of movie but it just never really landed that well with me (I think for me part of the enjoyment I get from reading LotR is the writing itself). I can't pinpoint anything wrong or objectionable in the movies, I just get sleepy whenever I watch them.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
The issue for me is less the purpose of each ending and more their execution.

To me Jackson loses tonal control after the eagles rescue Frodo and Sam and the film from there on out dribbles to the conclusion.

He strains for emotional effect when a more understated approach would gave been more effective.

Sean Astin's always steady performance is the only thing keeping it from collapsing into mush.

I can understand that, but I guess I just had a high tolerance for mush after the journey. But then, I tend to drag out goodbyes too IRL

soltakss

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finished Season 2 of Fate: The WinX Saga, pretty good hot teen fairy stuff.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I watched The Crooked Man. It was ok. Today I watched Selfie Man (aka Selfie from Hell). Good premise, horrible execution. I haven't had a chance to watch the rest of Edgerunners, but plan on doing so starting Wednesday.

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
Watched SAS: Rise of the Black Swan the other day. All I knew about it was what was written in the little blurb on the Netflix screen, so I was pleasantly surprised that Hannah John-Kamen, whom I love from Killjoys, had fourth billing. It was fun to see her play a role entirely different from her Killjoys character. Overall I enjoyed the movie pretty well.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I started watching The Night Shift, about a security guard sent to guard some rich person's house in the boondocks, then weird shit happens. Since I work in Security, I failed my suspension of disbelief roll multiple times over all the dumb shit this character does (or doesn't do). I'll finish it, but whoever wrote the script knows nothing about how people who work security are.

After work, I went to the Hollywood Theater, and caught The Supersonic Man. This is a 1979 film from Spain (but set in NYC) where the titular character is an alien agent sent to Earth to help mankind. It's supposed to be a Superman rip off, but the character in some respects seems a bit more Shazam/Captain Marvel, because he can get knocked out when not in his powered form. Cameron Mitchell is hilarious as the bad guy, because his dialogue is really, really bad (most of it is, probably because it's dubbed). Had I seen this as a kid, I'd have probably loved it, but as a middle aged person, I (like much of the audience) laughed a few times at some of the stuff happening in the movie. It was craptastic (more bad than good), but still fun.

soltakss

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched The Brave Ones, a very interesting South African urban horror series. I really enjoyed it but thought the last episode was a bit weak.

Currently watching Teen Wolf, a TV Series from 2006, which I seemed to have missed first time around. What can I say? I'm a sucker for hot teen angsty urban horror series.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Since the new seasons of some CBS shows started this week, I'm trying to catch up on NCIS and FBI. I can't finish Magnum PI, because they pulled the show (CBS pulled it, but iirc NBC picked it up, so it will likely drop onto Peacock), so I'll have to "look around for it".

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of the new season of SEAL Team. It's going to be a bumpy ride! I couldn't watch on Paramount+ App though... had to watch on Prime. Also a new season of Ink Masters is back on!

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of the new season of SEAL Team. It's going to be a bumpy ride! I couldn't watch on Paramount+ App though... had to watch on Prime. Also a new season of Ink Masters is back on!
I've only seen the 1st episode of the 1st season. I kept meaning to watch it, but I kept holding off (much like I've held off going back to Blue Bloods). It's in my wheelhouse, but with so much I want to watch, it kind of slipped into the cracks.

I'm close to finishing the last season of FBI and NCIS. After that, I definitely plan to finish Edgerunners.

3rik

Legendary Member
Reaction score
After finishing Obi-wan Kenobi on Disney+ we're now two episodes in on Devil in Ohio on Netflix. Pretty good so far.

We're also watching I Am A Killer S3, also on Netflix.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finished Edgerunners and it was awesome! I guess it ended the only way it could, though.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
Ive been working way back through Castle, which I've seen all of at least twice (or thrice). Why, you ask? Well, Nathan Fillion is always awesome, and also I'm without most of my family and it makes me think of them, because we've watched it together a lot. Thats about as sentimental as you'll ever see me. :grin:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Caught up with Aleskei German's Hard to be a God. I loved it but German, like a lot of dissident Russian filmmakers, is uncompromising and 'avant garde' by the standards of Hollywood films as he's less concerned with plot than atmosphere, the acting and film composition.

So this is an adaptation of a well known Strugaski Brothers novel (whose Roadside Picnic was adapted into Stalker) about a group of scientists from a future Earth who have travelled to another world very much like ours but the alien civilization is trapped in a nightmarishly foul, brutal version of medieval times where the brief narration in the film informs us 'the enlightment never happened.'

product_thumbnail.php_.jpg

There are warring cults who hunt down, enslave and kill by hanging anyone who can read or write or expresses an independent thought.

The scientists have set themselves up as semi-Divine lords (or 'Dons') but in bitter rebuttal to De Camp's optimistic Lest Darkness Fall they have failed utterly in improving things. In the book I believe there's a Star Trekian Prime Directive for them to not intefere, only observe which I assume has been abandoned.

The scientists have slowly gone mad due to despair and unfettered power crossed with sadism and turn to scheming and plotting to destroy each other.

Pretty clearly a condemnation of Russian history and society, the film took German 15 years to get made and he died in post-production but his wife and son (also a respected director) were able to complete it.

This film is claustrophic, full of grotesque but sometimes beautiful B&W imagery of squalor, rain, mud, snot, blood, innards and random farm animals. Pretty much the definition of 'not for everybody' but damn powerful for those who can tough it out.

Imagine a Russ Nicholson WFRP illustration brought to life and you'll be close to this remarkable film's achievement.

Last edited:

Giganotosaurus

I'm a traveler of both time and space
Reaction score
Caught up with Aleskei German's Hard to be a God. I loved it but German, like a lot of dissident Russian filmmakers, is uncompromising and 'avant garde' by the standards of Hollywood films as he's less concerned with plot than atmosphere, the acting and film composition.

So this is an adaptation of a well known Strugaski Brothers novel (whose Roadside Picnic was adapted into Stalker) about a group of scientists from a future Earth who have travelled to another world very much like ours but the alien civilization is trapped in a nightmarishly foul, brutal version of medieval times where the brief narration in the film informs us 'the enlightment never happened.'

View attachment 49988

There are warring cults who hunt down, enslave and kill by hanging anyone who can read or write or expresses an independent thought.

The scientists have set themselves up as semi-Divine lords (or 'Dons') but in bitter rebuttal to De Camp's optimistic Lest Darkness Fall they have failed utterly in improving things. In the book I believe there's a Star Trekian Prime Directive for them to not intefere, only observe which I assume has been abandoned.

The scientists have slowly gone mad due to despair and unfettered power crossed with sadism and turn to scheming and plotting to destroy each other.

Pretty clearly a condemnation of Russian history and society, the film took German 15 years to get made and he died in post-production but his wife and son (also a respected director) were able to complete it.

This film is claustrophic, full of grotesque but sometimes beautiful B&W imagery of squalor, rain, mud, snot, blood, innards and random farm animals. Pretty much the definition of 'not for everybody' but damn powerful for those who can tough it out.

Imagine a Russ Nicholson WFRP illustration brought to life and you'll be close to this remarkable film's achievement.

The book was also the basis for a goofy 2007 Russian crpg that involved you using laser weapons to kill knights and such.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finally sat down to watch The Batman yesterday. I found myself liking it more than I was expecting too. I then watched some episodes of Harley Quinn, which never fails to make me laugh.

EmperorNorton

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finally sat down to watch The Batman yesterday. I found myself liking it more than I was expecting too. I then watched some episodes of Harley Quinn, which never fails to make me laugh.
The Batman was actually really good. It might be my favorite Batman movie adaptation. And the first one that actually touched on you know, the detective part.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Batman was actually really good. It might be my favorite Batman movie adaptation. And the first one that actually touched on you know, the detective part.
One of the reasons I enjoyed it. It always seemed weird that he only showcased being the "World's Greatest Detective" in many of the cartoons, but not the live action films. I had read somewhere that they are making a sequel. If so, even better. I actually think with the right people, they could build something around this Batman. I get they want to do their whole multiverse thing, but the people behind The Batman actually got the character right for a change. If they could do the same with a few others, maybe they could develop a good Justice League some day. Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I enjoyed it. It always seemed weird that he only showcased being the "World's Greatest Detective" in many of the cartoons, but not the live action films. I had read somewhere that they are making a sequel. If so, even better. I actually think with the right people, they could build something around this Batman. I get they want to do their whole multiverse thing, but the people behind The Batman actually got the character right for a change. If they could do the same with a few others, maybe they could develop a good Justice League some day. Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice.
That was one of the only things I didn't like about Batfleck- he should have seen through Luthor's using him. That just totally took me out of it.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com