What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Wednesday on Netflix

It is pretty good, the cast is great, but centring a show on a monotonous, dry, angry/gloomy protagonist is getting old really fast.

As part of an ensemble cast? Sure. Maybe as a secondary character. But all the time? At this point the perky, bubbly werewolf girl is a breath of fresh air.

I am also not a fan of protagonists who have no actual interesting weaknesses or flaws, who are smarter and more competent than everyone around them. I always hated Sherlock Holmes, for instance.

Some will argue that Wednesday’s cynicism and anti-social behavior IS her weakness, her flaw, but it literally never really sets her back. She’s always crystal clear on her predictions and interpretations of people (and she’s actually psychic in this show, to hit the nail on the head). She might be wrong at some point, but that’s okay, she can kung fu beat up anyone anyway.

Gomez in the movies was kind of a Gary Stu too, but he was friendly, passionate and charming, so it was less smug somehow.

I like the show overall, but I’m not really interested in multiple seasons. I really hope that this is a single miniseries, not an ongoing scooby doo high school show… but it prints money so it probably will.

Ah well. At least Christina Ricci is in it, and is adorable (her Wednesday Addams was one of my first crushes).

Wednesday on Netflix

It is pretty good, the cast is great, but centring a show on a monotonous, dry, angry/gloomy protagonist is getting old really fast.
YMMV but I'd rather a gloomy, monosyllabic protagonist than someone upbeat and happy. Give me Wolverine over Cyclops, Batman over Booster Gold etc.

YMMV but I'd rather a gloomy, monosyllabic protagonist than someone upbeat and happy. Give me Wolverine over Cyclops, Batman over Booster Gold etc.
Normally I do too, but I think it's because I just read a bunch of novels with a monosyllabic, gloomy protagonist who, despite a lack of social skills, has no shortage of people fawning over them (Vampire Hunter D).

I'm still trying to find a 3-hour hole in my schedule, to watch the Stranger Things finale. I could break it up in multiple viewings I guess, but prefer to get the full experience. And maybe I'm also delaying because I don't quite want it to end yet...
..and Done! So how long until we can resolve this Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie cliffhanger?
I even stayed through the credits, though for another reason...:music:
...which is way better than Running up that Hill. :tongue:

Last edited:
Paranormal videos on YouTube are, on the most part, trite and the same rehashed stories over-and-over.
Mister Black, from Beyond Creepy, has the really weird and more unique stuff.

I also tried Chanisaw Man last night. Did not find a need to finish the first episode.
It wasn’t awful, it’s just not something I wanted to spend more time watching.

Last edited:
caught the next two episodes of Tulsa King. Really enjoying it. Back to the FX version of The Bridge for a couple of episodes before bed.

I watched 'Barb And Star Go To Vista Del Mar' and kinda loved it for being shamelessly silly and slightly surreal. It made me happy when I needed it.
So then I wanted more Kirsten Wiig/Annie Mumolo... so I watched 'Bridesmaids'. Not as good, not as weird, but I enjoyed it... mostly.
So... continuing on with Kirsten Wiig/SNL alumni movies... I decided I'd brave the female-led 'Ghostbusters' thing. Never seen it, never heard much good about it.... and... it was bad. Not awful, but not good. The writing was hacky and it made waay too many clumsy callbacks to the original... while relying too heavily on CGI FX and action sequences, rather than the talents of the actresses. If it had been half the budget with a more intimate storyline... something less EPIC!... it could have maybe been good.

Not something I am watching, yet.
But thought you all might want the heads up, this looks fantastic.

A stellar cast for what looks like your classic 'what if' horror setting for a story or a short roleplaying campaign.

I have been watching "Wednesday," and like it for what it is, as long as I don't think of it as an Addams Family show. It just doesn't really capture the real Addams Family spirit, to me, in any of the incarnations that I like (single panel comics, TV show, movies). As a "spooky goth girl in a monster academy" show, though, it is enjoyable enough to watch.

Oh, I recently bought the complete collection, not that is a lot of it, of Danger 5 on blu-ray.
It's as hilariously stupid as I recall it being.

Still making my way through Season 2 of the American take on The Bridge. Took a break to watch the new Sebastian Maniscalco special on Netflix. Love that guy!

I finally finished Black Lightning, which was a really good Supers series. Sure, it got a bit silly in the middle with loads of metas, but was enjoyable all the way through.

I dropped Wednesday after 2 eps and started Queens' Gambit. It also begins at a boarding school but this one has me hooked :thumbsup:

'Close' is a very intimate movie where little is said with words but volumes can be read in body language and facial microexpressions. Topic is kinda heavy without going into emo excess.

Started watching Warrior Nun S2. Not sure if I should get too invested- it's not even #1, so I know Netflix is going to drop it.

Watched Dark Intruder, a pilot for a tv series that ended up as a film. It stars Leslie Neilson as a rich playboy in 1890's San Francisco who is also an Occult Investigator. It was ok, and whomever wrote the script read Lovecraft, since they name drop Azathoth and Dagon.

Watched Dark Intruder, a pilot for a tv series that ended up as a film. It stars Leslie Neilson as a rich playboy in 1890's San Francisco who is also an Occult Investigator. It was ok, and whomever wrote the script read Lovecraft, since they name drop Azathoth and Dagon.

Sounds interesting. Where did you find it?

Sounds interesting. Where did you find it?
I don't remember specifically. TCM has it from what I saw via a Google search, and there was a few places that had it. The one I used was a blog where I was able to download it so I could stream it to my Roku

Saw the Godfather restoration in the theatre. Guess what? It's good. Think I've seen it more than 20+ times but this was the first time in a theatre and I caught little details I hadn't noticed before.

Watched the first episode of The Widow and the first episode of Absentia. I thought both were well-done, but neither show really hooked me.

Wednesday on Netflix

As part of an ensemble cast? Sure. Maybe as a secondary character. But all the time? At this point the perky, bubbly werewolf girl is a breath of fresh air.

I am also not a fan of protagonists who have no actual interesting weaknesses or flaws, who are smarter and more competent than everyone around them. I always hated Sherlock Holmes, for instance.

Some will argue that Wednesday’s cynicism and anti-social behavior IS her weakness, her flaw, but it literally never really sets her back. She’s always crystal clear on her predictions and interpretations of people (and she’s actually psychic in this show, to hit the nail on the head). She might be wrong at some point, but that’s okay, she can kung fu beat up anyone anyway.

Gomez in the movies was kind of a Gary Stu too, but he was friendly, passionate and charming, so it was less smug somehow.

I like the show overall, but I’m not really interested in multiple seasons. I really hope that this is a single miniseries, not an ongoing scooby doo high school show… but it prints money so it probably will.

Ah well. At least Christina Ricci is in it, and is adorable (her Wednesday Addams was one of my first crushes).

My wife talked me into watching the first episode and I enjoyed. I have covid so when it starts to lift I might resume watching, but don't really feel like it at the moment. I am actually glad to hear she doesn't grow as a character. I think I responded to the first episode the same way I responded to Black Adder, which was I was there to laugh (that is also my memory of the Movies and show as well).

My biggest complaint is Luis Guzman. He is totally miscast and just feels way too flat for the character. I didn't find Catherine Zita Jones to be particularly great as Morticia either. But neither of them seem like they are as big in the plot

Watched the comedy film Do it for Uncle Manny. Through most of the run time, I found it mildly amusing, but the end is hilarious and definitely made sitting through the rest of it worthwhile.

Wednesday on Netflix

I am also not a fan of protagonists who have no actual interesting weaknesses or flaws, who are smarter and more competent than everyone around them.

Thanks for proving my suspicions right. The trailer gave me the impression that Wednesday was a Mary Stu who is always smarter, more insightful, desirable, and stronger than everyone else so it was a hard pass.

I'm on the last episodes of Season 2 of the FX adaptation of The Bridge. Time to put this series to bed. I saw Prime Video has the 1st season of the original Bron, so I might check that out soon. I figure after this, I might watch Troll on Netflix for something less serious

We started watching Romantic Killer on Netflix over afternoon coffee. Quite hilarious.

56c4a877369a5c94f7fdefff4f758e8178560c1c.gif
a72aa7b1c05e7b08812c09767c5595d1050bb145.gif

I watched the two most recent episodes of SWAT last night after work. I started Troll on the way to work this morning. I'm enjoying it so far

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back