What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Caught two films at the local film festival, Mia Hansen-Love's One Fine Morning, a melancholy slice of life starring the great Lea Seydoux. She is terrific as always and being French obviously no issues playing less-than-perfect 'problematic' characters or doing nude sex scenes.

Followed it up with Paul Schrader's latest, Master Gardener, another character-piece with touches of crime drama from the master having a fine late career run with the very good Joel Edgerton in the lead role.

We're watching S2 of Alice in Borderland and Physical: 100 on Netflix. Physical: 100 is kind of like a real-life Squid Game, sans the killing and shooting.

20230202000701_0_20230202213403764.gif

Last edited:
I finished S4 of Yellowstone last week, and will have to wait for the current season to be available on streaming. I also want to watch 1883 and 1923, but those are on a different service (Paramount+) which I don't get at the moment.

I haven't been watching much this weather, but I did watch The Rig on Amazon. It was well acted and I thought it played out like a classic Dr Who story-arc, just without the Doctor turning up to put things right. My dad and his cronies, all retired from many years on the rigs, couldn't suspend their disbelief. Not about the sci-fi part, but apparently it wasn't actually very "North Sea oil riggy" and everyone would have died in the first couple of episodes.

Last night I had the dubious pleasure of watching Robin Hood (2018) with Taran Egerton as Robin and Jamie Foxx as Little John, and Tim Fucking Minchin as Friar Tuck. I can honestly say it was one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I will defend Guy Ritchie's take on the King Arthur mythos until the cows come home. Make of that what you will, but don't watch Robin Hood (2018) unless you're a hate-watcher of awful movies.

I binged Extraordinary on Disney+ mainly because I've a thing for redheads and hot messes.
Then I followed that up with Everything, everywhere, all at once. I liked it but I don't get the Oscar-type plaudits it gets. A good idea on par with 'Dave made a maze' but too absurd in some places from me to really rate it. When you think Jet Li's "The One" was hitting those mulitversal and kung fu beats over 20 years ago....

Well, I finished Alchemy of Souls, with was far better than it had a right to be. On the one hand, it was clearly a Young Adult TV Series, with love triangles, pretty/handsome main characters and several comic relief characters. On the other hand, it packed some heavy emotional punches. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then I watched the second series of The Legend of Vox Machina, which covers the adventures of a D&D Party and was as fun as the first series.

I started watching Against the Ropes, a comedy-Drama from Mexico about a women released from jail after 6 years who becomes a masked Luchadora to try and win back her daughter (who idolizes the Luchadora dating her father). Rey Mysterio appears later in the season, and WWE promoted the show during their NXT Premium Event yesterday.

I'm also trying to watch The Lair, a sci-fi/horror film set in Afghanistan during the US occupation. A British fighter pilot gets shot down, ends up in an abandoned Russian facility, encounters monsters, then tries to get some US soldiers who rescue her to go back to the facility. Jamie Bamber plays the leader of the US soldiers (looked a bit Nick Fury like with an eye patch on his left eye)

Netflix

I don't particularly enjoy reality TV of any kind, but I did watch The Voice for a couple of years. Before that, I watched several seasons of So You Think You Can Dance. i do enjoy Ninja Warrior and Wipeout. Battle Bots is fun, but I don't turn it on. Forged in Fire gets repetitive. The betrayal and dating shows were always contrived and pointless social pandering.

I don't turn any of them on any more.

Physical:100, on the other hand, is pretty keen. I'm two episodes in. These folks aren't messing around. They aren't here because they got lucky or "found". They put in serious work, and while they compete like crazy, they encourage everyone around them to excel as well.
Whether or not fitness is your thing, it's still worth a watch.

Last edited:
Last night I had the dubious pleasure of watching Robin Hood (2018) with Taran Egerton as Robin and Jamie Foxx as Little John, and Tim Fucking Minchin as Friar Tuck. I can honestly say it was one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I will defend Guy Ritchie's take on the King Arthur mythos until the cows come home. Make of that what you will, but don't watch Robin Hood (2018) unless you're a hate-watcher of awful movies.
I could not get past the opening sequence, it was that awful.
Carrying their bows like assault rifles? The Middle East like modern day Iraq? It was embarrassing to just look at and listen to.

I've been watching Andor recenctly. I have not thought much of any post original trilogy stuff other than Rogue One, and I had basically given up on checking out any new Star Wars shows, but I found out that Andor is a prequel to Rogue One, so I decided to give it a go. I have to say, it's absolutely brilliant. It's extremely Star Warsy (I think they've pulled off the retro-tech aesthetic perfectly) while also being just sheer quality in it's own right.

I've also just rewatched Rome, and am working my way through Buffy/Angel.

We started season 2 of Raised by Wolves last night on blu-ray.
The show is still as good looking and as suitably weird as Season 1.
A new faction has emerged, the old factions still look and act like competing sci-fi historic eras and it's still moderately insane.

So naturally, I love it.

Watching two comedy series. One, Reboot, is already cancelled but had a good first season worth checking out.

A lighter -hearted Larry Sanders BTS TV satire with enough bite to keep it from getting predictable. A really good cast too, as you can see in the trailer.

And we're watching The Last Man on Earth with Will Forte and Kristen Schnaal. This one gets real dark at points even while being largely quite goofy in tone.

Last edited:
Watching two comedy series. One, Reboot, is already cancelled but had a good first season worth checking out.

A lighter -hearted Larry Sanders BTS TV satire with enough bite to keep it from getting predictable. A really good cast too, as you can see in the trailer.

And we're watching The Last Man on Earth with Will Forte and Kristen Schnaal. This one gets real dark at points even while being largely quite goofy in tone.

Reboot was funny. Sorry to hear it got canceled. That sucks.

Finished Against the Ropes. Really liked it. It ended in a way I wasn't expecting, which was pretty cool. I hope it gets a second season, because the show has a closer connection to WWE than just having Rey Mysterio appear in the final episode. Also finished The Lair. I liked it, but it wasn't fantastic. Lots of brutal killings. It felt like it could have been a one shot adventure for some game. Not sure what I'm going to watch next

Watched two movies the other night Bullet Train, which I enjoyed quite a bit, and Emily the Criminal, which I would rate barely above "just okay."

I finished the first season of "Lockwood & Co.," which was fairly entertaining.

I started "Alice in Borderland," but the first episode really didn't grab me. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep going with it or not.

I sat down a while back to watch the latest season of Locke & Key, and realized that I have forgotten so much of the first two seasons that I'm going to have to rewatch them. Since the third season is the last one, I might go ahead and do that now.

Started watching Season 3 of Below Decks, but Amazon Prime was glitching so badly that it stopped for 5 minutes 4 times in the first episode, so I gave up.

Currently watching an interesting Turkish series, Shahmaran, that is looking very good so far. I do like Turkish series, especially those based on folklore, so this ticks all my boxes.

I watched "Franklocke & Co" on Netflix, a pretty good ghost/monsters flick with teens. (The monsters are all ghosts or people. Always people.) Been trying to find something else so I hit a few different shows.

I started to check out Discovery again. I had stopped just as they entered the Mirror Mirror universe, so there is only a few left in Season 1. I had liked the show (except for how they portrayed Klingons), but stopped because I was more into other stuff at the time. Figured I should go back and start watching again.

I also went back to finish The Last Matinee, a Giallo style slasher flick from Argentina that I was watching on Hulu. It's a definite throwback to the Italian style films

I'm now 6 episodes in to Season 2 of Discovery. I think it has gotten better than the first season (the mirror mirror episodes were decent), but damn, I want a Section 31 show now. Michelle Yeoh's Mirror Mirror character is just too fun to not be part of a regular show.

I'm now 6 episodes in to Season 2 of Discovery. I think it has gotten better than the first season (the mirror mirror episodes were decent), but damn, I want a Section 31 show now. Michelle Yeoh's Mirror Mirror character is just too fun to not be part of a regular show.
Totally agree with this sentiment. I need to start watching again... I think you're near where I left off.

I'm watching Season 3 of You. Seasons 1 and 2 were a deeply disturbing watch about a man with obsessive control issues. Season 3 seems to be "Look, funny serial killers".

Totally agree with this sentiment. I need to start watching again... I think you're near where I left off.

I'm 8 episodes in, but took a break to watch a couple of episodes of SWAT. Going to dive into episode 9 on my home from work

Amazon Prime

Rockin Ravens!
Watched The Northman, which is likely the best barbarian movie I've ever seen.

Ever.

And I don't even like Viking shit.

Netflix

So, I'm figuring most folks have watched Leverage. I mean it revived a whole subgenre of storytelling.

And while I don't think that The Recruit will resonate with gamers the same way, I get why Netflix greenlit a second season. It's a brisk, crisp adventure-on-rails that drags it's protagonist through the story by his nose ring.

It's what I tried to do with a recent gaming scenario, but I find many players are trained to over analyze everything in RPGs and not just let go and play.

Got a clue? Just follow it. Danger ahead? No way forward but through? Just go. Gotta make a bad deal for a chance at a good result? Keep moving. There's a lot to be said for putting the onus on the GM to make sure everyone is satisfied with the story outcome if you choose to follow the most obvious plot path.

Whether you like the show or not, the first episode is a master class in linear adventure design.

Last edited:
Finished Season 2 of Discovery. Wow, got a bit epic at the end there. Going to switch gears and check out Strange New Worlds for a bit (since it's episodic, not a long story arc like Discovery had). I was reading that a Section 31 show is in the works, once one of the current shows ends. Since Picard is ending with the 3rd season, I hope that means once it's done, we get that show, and more Michelle Yeoh as Phillipa. She seems to be having so much fun in the role, and damn if she didn't get to kick some ass during this season.

I'm digging the HBO series of The Last of Us, sticks pretty close to the game, last episode engaged in some speechifying I don't remember from the game which is rare for games, which tend to have terrible writing, even those that some claim are well written!

Those unfamiliar with the game seem to be getting put through the emotional ringer moreso than what I'm experiencing. I think they could make some of the people-on-people violence a bit more visceral and brutal, that is something I thought the game did really well. I suspect they may get there, especially by the end.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has been interesting so far. Of the five episodes I've seen, most have been well done (especially episode 5, which had some comedic stuff going on, but in a subtle way). It's an interesting group of characters, including one related to Khan of all people. The actor playing Spock isn't bad, but I preferred him with the beard he had on Discovery. The actress playing a young cadet Uhura is good too. Not sure about Nurse Chapel yet.

Just finished the first half of Season 4 of You, as they only dropped half a season, which is a pain. Season 3 was OK, not as good as Seasons 1 or 2. Season 4 is not as good as any of the other seasons, it feels tired.

Been watching Seinfeld with my wife (who hasn't seen the show before), so it is interesting viewing it with someone who has a fresh perspective. I opted to start on season 2 rather than 1 (figuring we can go back and watch season one if she liked she series enough)

Hulu

Looks like Season 2 of BOFURI is dropping episodes on Hulu in stealth mode. I only heard about it through Crunchyroll.

If you like anime with the "games within games" stories, this is one of the best of the genre. Funny and great for all ages, compared to the more mature shows like SAO.

I'll be in my bunk.

Going to head out to see the new Ant Man movie in about 20 minutes with a friend.
So....

I definitely enjoyed it. There was a bit of a Star Wars feel to parts of the Quantum realm. A bit less humor, but lots of good action. Two end credits scenes.

Jonathon Majors once again excels here as Kang. His facial expressions were interesting. Don't want to write more, as I'm afraid I'll post something I probably shouldn't.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back