What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Untitled.jpg

Possibly the best single episode of any TV series in history.
That last minute gutpunch with 6 simple words "Where do you think we are?" broke me.

I finally got around to seeing John Wick (the first one). It was enjoyable. Not quite to The Transporter levels of over the top action action, but several levels beyond Lethal Weapon or Die Hard. It was consistent in its over the topness though which to me is important.

I did find it oddly reminiscent of Nobody (or in reality I guess Nobody took some cues from John Wick, seeing as how it is a more recent movie that I happened to watch out of order from release).

Absolute best scene in the movie was the phone call to the chop shop guy from the mobster.
Mobster - I heard you struck my son.
Chop shop guy - Yes sir I did, he stole John Wicks car and killed his dog.
Mobster - Oh... click.

:hehe:
Yeah, a lot of movies have been taking cues from John Wick. Just like when the Matrix first came out. But Keanu is the boss.

What's the second video? It's region blocked for me? Is it the dog training clip with Halle Barry? :gooselove:

What's the second video? It's region blocked for me? Is it the dog training clip with Halle Barry? :gooselove:
No, it's the talk with the stuntmen about behind the scenes from parabellum and how much training he put in- 1000s of hours and 5 months of 12 hour days doing action scenes as basically a stuntman (other than when insurance wouldn't let him). He's basically a more realistic Tom Cruise (TC just does crazy stuff, while KR does practical stuff)

Watching 1883 right now (one of the Yellowstone prequel series), and it's like a Wild West RPG campaign with a killer GM.

I lost my patience with Big Blue, when most of the posters complained how the show ‘demeaned women’ in 1883.
Kids, ever pick up a history book? It, and 1923, do a really good job of ‘show not tell’ when it comes to how sexism, racism and violence used to resolve conflict, end in tears and death.

And most importantly, my wife now understands why I hate nuns and clergy so much.
Corporal punishment was no laughing matter, except if you’re the sort to laugh in the face of systemic abuse and death.
Which, er, I might be.

Carnival Row was fantastic.
It was a real pity it never got a third season.
That's a shame.

Finished Carnival Row and was looking forward to the next season.

Currently watching Picard. It's OK, and it's good to see all of their mates from earlier Star Trek series making an appearance, as well as new faces.

Yesterday I only watched a couple of episodes of NCIS, as I had stuff to do most of the day. Today, I went and saw Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre. I liked it, but it was kind of weak for a Jason Statham film. Moreso because Guy Ritchie was involved, and normally I find his work better than this. The action was well done, and Aubrey Plaza and Hugh Grant steal the film from the rest of the cast. I don't regret seeing it though.

That's a shame.

Finished Carnival Row and was looking forward to the next season.

Currently watching Picard. It's OK, and it's good to see all of their mates from earlier Star Trek series making an appearance, as well as new faces.
I was trying to let you down gently.
The comic writers (as in comic medium, not comic as in comedy) who wrote the show did go on to write for other shows, but they were in fine form for that one.

Finished up New Fong Sai Yuk: Battle in Cliff City. It had a different cast than the previous one I watched. The fights were a bit better in this one, though the initial premise was a bit weak. Unlike the Jet Li films, Fong's mother isn't fighting alongside him that much, though she gets her chance to shine. Also, his dad was a pretty decent fighter in this one, which is different from other versions. Next up is another film called Zodiac Warriors

OK, I've recently finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix and Amazon Prime (so the series, Death True, End of Evangelion, and the four Rebuild movies) and while I know it has its detractors on this site I can appreciate what Anno did. So I'm wondering what I should watch next. I've seen a smattering of anime (Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Dirty Pair, Ghost in a Shell, Cowboy Bebop, some Robotech, and some Voltron and Battle of the Planets so long ago I don't remember anything from them) but am not very versed in the genre. More modern stuff my son watches where there are long freeze frames (probably not the technical term) just turn me off. (Yes, NGE had some shots where they held it a long time but it was few and far between for dramatic effect and not something that happened throughout every episode)

I saw mention of something called Serial Experiments Lain that seemed interesting. I guess I should probably finish Robotech before I move to something else but will note any responses for consideration after that.

OK, I've recently finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix and Amazon Prime (so the series, Death True, End of Evangelion, and the four Rebuild movies) and while I know it has its detractors on this site I can appreciate what Anno did. So I'm wondering what I should watch next. I've seen a smattering of anime (Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Dirty Pair, Ghost in a Shell, Cowboy Bebop, some Robotech, and some Voltron and Battle of the Planets so long ago I don't remember anything from them) but am not very versed in the genre. More modern stuff my son watches where there are long freeze frames (probably not the technical term) just turn me off. (Yes, NGE had some shots where they held it a long time but it was few and far between for dramatic effect and not something that happened throughout every episode)

I saw mention of something called Serial Experiments Lain that seemed interesting. I guess I should probably finish Robotech before I move to something else but will note any responses for consideration after that.

I found Satoshi Kon the best director in non-Ghibli Japanese animation.

His tv series Paranoia Agent is very good but it is in films like Perfect Blue (a giallo-like thriller with touches of horror) and Paprika (a surreal cyberpunky psycho-drama) that he did his best work.

I think Kon was one of the few real geniuses working in anime and his early death is a huge loss to a medium that desperately needed him.

Voros Voros those are solid recommendations, I have seen them mentioned alongside of Serial Experiments Lain. I’ll definitely check them out.

What is the connection between Funimation and Crunchyroll? I read that they are now one company and all the Funimation stuff will be on Crunchyroll but Lain shows on Funimation when I search but not on Crunchyroll. Is it safe to subscribe to Funimation to watch it or is it about to disappear into the ether?

Watched the film 'Nope' last night on Netflix.
The first three quarters of the film took it's time and was really good with an unfolding plot and moments of tension.
Then it somehow lost all of that threatening tension in the last quarter.
Not only that, there was a lot of backstory left unexplained
It has the bones of a great film, but just kinda missed the mark at the end
However, an enjoyable watch all the same

Last edited:
We watched Re/Member, a Japanese horror on Netflix. It was ok.

Well I signed up for Funimation, started to watch Serial Experiments Lain (and am enjoying it) but now Funimation seems to be down and I can’t log back in :sad:

I watched a few episodes of History of the World Part 2 on Hulu. It's alright, the skits were hit or miss. I give it a C+ or B-.

I watched a few episodes of History of the World Part 2 on Hulu. It's alright, the skits were hit or miss. I give it a C+ or B-.

Related to Mel Brooks' History of the World Part 1? 40 some odd year between films must be a record.

Watched the film 'Nope' last night on Netflix.

The first three quarters of the film took it's time and was really good with an unfolding plot and moments of tension.

Then it somehow lost all of that threatening tension in the last quarter.

Not only that, there was a lot of backstory left unexplained

It has the bones of a great film, but just kinda missed the mark at the end

However, an enjoyable watch all the same
Since I already knew what ‘theory’ they were going for, there was no magic for me.
I lost interest after about five minutes and watched something else instead.

Finished Zodiac Warrior. Ok film with crappy makeup and digital effects. Would have been better if they had cut out or toned down on the comedic parts. Followed this up with Detective Song Ci, a murder mystery with some kung fu involved. I'm still trying to finish X, as well as started The Assassins, an historical film where Chow Yun Fat plays Cao Cao

Just finished Season 2 of Picard. With Star Trek, I don't really like Alternate Universe or Time Travel stories, or ones involving Q, so Season 2 did not get off to a good start for me. However, I found it enjoyable enough.

Watching the second half of The Glory on Netflix.

It's an excellent show, but I feel like the plot marred by what I'll call jump-reveal editing.

Similar to flashbacks, but the repeat reveals are getting more annoying, like the director/creators don't know they've worn out the technique.

In one of the show's metaphors, it's like a game of go, where every time you go to make a more, you need to first figure out what the moment of gameplay is, based on the positions of all the stones.

My housemate loves SNL, so we watch it the weeks it's on. The episodes since Pedro Pascal was hosting have all been really good, and now we'll be watching Wednesday as the lassie from that was a really good host.

LOL. Lots of folks disagreed with you re: Wednesday.

I don't care enough to put it on my watch list.

Finally finished X. In the long run, I felt the slow burn didn't work for me, and the bloodbath that ensued towards the end of the film was less than satisfying. I don't know if I want to see Pearl, the prequel movie that followed it.

Finally finished X. In the long run, I felt the slow burn didn't work for me, and the bloodbath that ensued towards the end of the film was less than satisfying. I don't know if I want to see Pearl, the prequel movie that followed it.
I found that afterwards, knowing how the two films fit together was more satisfying than *watching* how the two films fit together. The lead actress was boss, but the writing not so much.

I found that afterwards, knowing how the two films fit together was more satisfying than *watching* how the two films fit together. The lead actress was boss, but the writing not so much.
Mia Goth was a highlight of the film, especially since she's playing Maxine and Pearl. My other favorite character was the gator though

I saw it in the cinema in 2021, but I sat down with my partner and watched Wrath of Man last night.
It's still a great script, and a great movie. A fantastic ensemble cast, that also features that Transporter bloke.
Ancillary character actors aplenty, who you can since see in Raised by Wolves, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Mindhunter and a host of other television shows and movies.

It's a strong recommend from me.
Oh, it's also Guy Ritchie avoiding his Cockney cliches, which is interesting in itself.

Catching up on SWAT, as there were 4 episodes I haven't seen. Also started watching Vanguard, a modern action-comedy starring Jackie Chan.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back