What are you watching?

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Castlevania, OTOH, hasn't been too bad

I watched Midsommer yesterday. It was really well done - but, not entirely engaging as it was just sort of the Wicker Man 2.0. Actually, I take that back, it was almost the exact plot of the not very well known sequel to the original Wicker Man, the Wicker Tree. I thought it was a really well done film, but I can't help but compare it to Gus Van Sant's shot for shot remake of Hitchcock's Psycho - what was the point?

Has anyone seen the 3 hour director's cut? What does it add to the film?
I think the soundtrack, amazing performance by Florence Pugh and the absolutely lovely/bonkers ending elevate it for me. I'd like to see the director's cut, I saw an interview with Aster and he says it restores a long lake sequence he cut for time but missed in terms of character.

I watched the first episode of Dracula and due to what I had heard I went in with low expectations and had more fun than I expected. It is an overly broad mess but delivers some entertaining gore shocks near the end that won me over, for that episode at least.

I agree that Halloween should have been left alone. Although I enjoyed the most recent sequel with the return of Curtis I find the others (the atypical III aside) risible. The original is such a carefully calibrated formalist masterpiece with a perfectly ambiguous ending.

Last edited:

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finally, watched the movie Next, where Nicolas Cage can see the future. Do I really need to tell you anything else about it? :clown:
He only sees like 60 seconds or so normally (except for the big reveal at the end), and it did allow him to do some cool stuff. I thought it was a fun film, and one of his better ones.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
You can watch Black Christmas '74 for free with ads on tubitv.com. I think the new one is available on Netflix?
The newest one was out in theaters end of last year, so likely not on Netflix yet. There was one from 2006. It's not on Netflix USA, but might be in other regions

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
If you mean the Netflix animation, I found it to be boring.
I only saw the first three so far, but I was entertained. I liked that every side was well developed in motivation and sympathetic while still being understandably monstrous.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I only saw the first three so far, but I was entertained. I liked that every side was well developed in motivation and sympathetic while still being understandably monstrous.
I was expecting more. It felt like a wrestling ppv pre-show that doesn't have any matches on it. I've never played the games or anything, but I was expecting more than what we got.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I was expecting more. It felt like a wrestling ppv pre-show that doesn't have any matches on it. I've never played the games or anything, but I was expecting more than what we got.
I'm guessing the new episodes haven't gotten to Belmont storming the castle then?

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the new episodes haven't gotten to Belmont storming the castle then?
If you mean Dracula's Castle, then no. Of course, I didn't know Season 2 was out (I saw Season 1 after it came out, but never got a notification from Netflix that new episodes were available). I might check out Season 2, but not anytime soon

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
If you mean Dracula's Castle, then no. Of course, I didn't know Season 2 was out (I saw Season 1 after it came out, but never got a notification from Netflix that new episodes were available). I might check out Season 2, but not anytime soon
S1 was just 3 episodes correct? Yeah there's a s2, or at least additional episodes out now I believe

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
The newest one was out in theaters end of last year, so likely not on Netflix yet. There was one from 2006. It's not on Netflix USA, but might be in other regions
Black Christmas is on Shudder.com, including a commentary by Joe Bob Briggs.

Excited to see the new season of Fargo.

E-Rocker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched the latest episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow. I didn't care for it. It's the conclusion of a 5-part crossover with 4 shows that I don't watch. It's 10 minutes into the episode before any of the Legends characters even show up, and they're relegated to being side characters for most of it. The bit with Rory's book signing was funny, though.

ETA: Also enjoyed Marv Wolfman's cameo.

Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
Started watching Star Wars Rebels with my son. Just saw the first two episodes tonight. I'm not really fond of the weird animation style, but so far it's better than any of the recent movies. The main characters remind me of a Star Wars RPG crew. I also like that it takes place in the only Star Wars era I enjoy.
5b609a94077719000192dd27-image_cf9fcd7f.jpeg
star-wars-ghost.jpg

Endless Flight

Middle-Aged Nerd
Administrator
Reaction score
Rebels gets better as it goes along. There’s some very cool stuff in the last two seasons.

Stevethulhu

Lose 1d20 San
Reaction score
Rebels might be he best Star Wars since the OT. It starts out light and fun, but by the end, the room gets a bit dusty and some can get in your eye.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched the latest episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow. I didn't care for it. It's the conclusion of a 5-part crossover with 4 shows that I don't watch. It's 10 minutes into the episode before any of the Legends characters even show up, and they're relegated to being side characters for most of it. The bit with Rory's book signing was funny, though.

ETA: Also enjoyed Marv Wolfman's cameo.
Sarah and Ray are in it from the first part (Supergirl), and Constantine is in from part 2. There's an alt version of Rory too. Sarah makes a side comment about how she promised the Legends no more crossovers (which is a running joke from last years crossover). The joke pops up once or twice during the crossover. I think they learned from the Invasion crossover that too many characters means too many characters have little to nothing to do

You missed out by only watching the end. There are numerous cameos (Robert Wuhl from the original Batman movies, Burt Ward's Dick Grayson, Huntress from the original Birds of Prey tv show, the flash from the 90's tv show, Brandon Routh's Superman, Smallville's Clark & Lois, Kevin Conroy's Batman), which was pretty cool.

I'm not at the end yet, but some of the changes they made to the story was interesting.

soltakss

Legendary Member
Reaction score
On Season 2 of the Expanse. Particularly liked the way they treat Mormons, with the colony ship going to a distant star, I could see that working in the future.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
After Crisis on Infinite Earths, I decided to check out Terminator: Dark Fate. I didn't think it was that bad. It was better than Genysys. Now back to catching up on Magnum and Hawaii Five-0

Dumarest

Reaction score
A very interesting in-depth interview with Benmont Tench, who, in addition to being a uniquely gifted keyboardist, is amazingly eloquent and engaging:

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So the Hawaii Five-0/Magnum crossover was ok, but nothing amazing. The basic plot was the two casts working together to prevent the late Wo Fat's wife from getting her hands on a noc list of double agents working for the CIA in China. The two casts work well together, but it was more of the same for both shows. Given both casts have characters who were Navy Seals, covert stuff happens more than once during a season all ready. It also wasn't as good as the crossovers NCIS did in the past between the different shows.

Now I'm watching some rpg review videos on the Questing Beast channel, as I needed a break from regular movies/tv episodes for a bit

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
On Season 2 of the Expanse. Particularly liked the way they treat Mormons, with the colony ship going to a distant star, I could see that working in the future.
It is a great idea that doesn’t really get explored too deeply unfortunately.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Watched the uncut Tammy and the T-Rex on Shudder. Usually attempts to make self-consciously ‘bad’ or campy films in the 90s fail utterly but here it works because it captures that Waters/Morrissey-Warhol vibe crossed with a drive-in movie.

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Reaction score
Started watching Star Wars Rebels with my son. Just saw the first two episodes tonight. I'm not really fond of the weird animation style, but so far it's better than any of the recent movies. The main characters remind me of a Star Wars RPG crew. I also like that it takes place in the only Star Wars era I enjoy.
Supposedly Rebels drew no small amount of inspiration from the WEG RPG books.

Also, here, have a fan-supplement for the show.

Simlasa

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching Midsommar.
Mixed feelings... it was disturbing but also annoying.
Subtle and creepy and weirdfunny (absurd)... but too heavy handed with its caricature dudebros.
Maybe I missed something... there's a second couple of outsiders who behave in much more plausible fashion, but they're NOT the story the movie is interested in telling... they're in the ordinary horror version of the tale. Instead it focuses on an allegory about victimized women who refuse to see what jerks their boyfriends are? But are saved by kooky religious experiences? I dunno...

Dumarest

Reaction score
Supposedly Rebels drew no small amount of inspiration from the WEG RPG books.

Also, here, have a fan-supplement for the show.
I came across that but haven't downloaded it.

We're on episode 9 or 10 now. There were a couple I intend to swipe for "Star Wars '78": the one where they need to pick up fuel/supplies and there's some abandoned base full of darkness-dwelling monsters was good for gaming, as was the one where they try to infiltrate a prison to rescue a Jedi (who turns out to be dead and the whole scenario was a trap).

My biggest problem with the animation seems to be the faces on human characters looking so weird. I don't get why they chose to do that when everything else looks very good, especially the spaceships.

The only thing about the stories themselves that I don't much like is the kid being yet another precocious Force user. I would've like it better if Canaan (is that his name?) were a surviving Jedi leading his little Rebel cell and the kid were just a normal kid.

Also, just out of curiosity, is there supposed to be some Biblical allusion vis-à-vis the use of the names Canaan, Ezra, and Zeb (Zebediah)? If there is, I missed the significance.

Dumarest

Reaction score
Watched the uncut Tammy and the T-Rex on Shudder. Usually attempts to make self-consciously ‘bad’ or campy films in the 90s fail utterly but here it works because it captures that Waters/Morrissey-Warhol vibe crossed with a drive-in movie.

Having a hard time seeing the names T. Rex, Waters, Morrissey, and Warhol in close proximity without thinking of Marc Bolan, the Pink Floyd, the Smiths, and the Dandy Warhols...in the back of my mind Syd Barrett and Marc Bolan are conjuring up some bizarre glam rock fairytale song suite.

Kilted Rob

Legendary Member
Reaction score

I have Vinegar Syndrome’s 4K release of this, it (Denise Richards) looks absolutely gorgeous.

Rob