What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So I finished the hot mess that was Hellboy 2019. It got very bloody towards the end. It just seemed to be gore for the sake of gore. Glad I didn't spend money to see that, or I'd have asked for a refund.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying BuyBust on Netflix. Like Maria, it's from the Philippines. It reminds me of The Raid. A police unit enters a slum to arrest a drug lord as part of a sting operation. It's a trap, and they have to fight their way out. Worse, the people living there turn on them, so they have to fight them as well as the drug lord's thugs. Lots of brutal fights and a lot of stabbing going on. The combat is more brutal and realistic than in The Raid, which makes it really gritty. I'm really digging the fact that I get to see movies I'd never see otherwise thanks to Netflix getting content from all over the world.

Finished season 2 of "Dark".
DAMN!
Those were some twists and turns!

Side Note: Did anyone else notice that the English subtitles had some spelling errors?
Can't wait for the final season!

Just watching season 2 of the Dark. Because things are more in the open, it has lost some of its mystery, but still enjoying it.

Was (is?) Sleepy Hollow any good (the show not the Tim Burton movie, which I liked)?

Yeah, I enjoyed it. There was some chemistry between the two main characters. It had a number of interesting monsters and some good background ideas. The idea of the American Revolution being a proxy war or cover between the forces of Good and Evil was a nice touch.

I'm watching something I believe is called 7 up. It's a BBC series filming children every 7years. The kids were born in 1957 I believe. It's an interesting view into history, parenting, class and politics.

7 Up is a fascinating show to watch. We watched it at school, probably when they were 21, but we watched the whole thing, so saw them as 7 year olds, then at 14, then at 21. I've followed it ever since, but haven't seen the most recent one.

There was a comedy spoof, with the Slobs and Tim Nice-but-Dim, but you'd have needed to watch the comedy sketch show (Fast Show, Tim Enfield and Friends, something like that) to make any sense of it.

Just watched Point Blank, starring Anthony Mackie and Frank Grillo. It's an ok action film about a nurse forced to help an assassin against some dirty cops in order to rescue his pregnant wife. It's a remake of a French film of the same name from 2010. It was a good time killer, but the soundtrack (which is mostly 80's tunes) was awesome

As a parent I wish I could let my seven year old walk 4 miles to school each day and both feel it was safe (which I do but wife disagrees) and socially acceptable (which it's absolutely not where I live). The autonomy and confidence that comes from that period is enviable.
4 miles, that's 6.4 kilometers if Google is correct. That's a long walk to get to school. Wouldn't your kid rather use a bicycle? Other than the distance I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be socially acceptable. Then again, I've never payed much attention to such things.

AFAIK we always lived in a fairly safe place. We were roaming around by ourselves all the time, either on foot or on our bicycles. School was very near, so no problem walking by ourselves.

Starting around 12 years old, we went to school by bicycle, a 20-30 minute ride to a nearby city. If you got a flat tire you'd have to walk... Would not have enjoyed walking that every day!

Anyway, yeah, there was very little parental surveillance, but we probably grew up in a relatively very safe area.

4 miles, that's 6.4 kilometers if Google is correct. That's a long walk to get to school. Wouldn't your kid rather use a bicycle? Other than the distance I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be socially acceptable. Then again, I've never payed much attention to such things.

AFAIK we always lived in a fairly safe place. We were roaming around by ourselves all the time, either on foot or on our bicycles. School was very near, so no problem walking by ourselves.

Starting around 12 years old, we went to school by bicycle, a 20-30 minute ride to a nearby city. If you got a flat tire you'd have to walk... Would not have enjoyed walking that every day!

Anyway, yeah, there was very little parental surveillance, but we probably grew up in a relatively very safe area.
How old are you and what country?

All I can say without pushing the boundaries of no politics is things have changed since I was a child and what I did daily safely now seems to be equated to child endangerment.

How old are you and what country?

All I can say without pushing the boundaries of no politics is things have changed since I was a child and what I did daily safely now seems to be equated to child endangerment.
I was born in 1971 in the Netherlands.

Watched the first Man from Atlantis movie with my son.
tv-guide-premiere-ad-1.jpg
I have all the Marvel comic books.
24801.jpg
Now I want to re-read them and run a "1970s TV superhero" game with characters inspired by Mark Harris, $6 Million Man, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman, Reb Brown Captain America, and so on. Maybe some day.

Started watching Revenger on netflix. It reminds me a little of No Escape. Ex-Interpol agent is sentenced to Death Row, and is sent to an island that 12 Asian countries use to house Death Row inmates. Except he's looking for the current "ruler" of the island. As the trailer shows, it starts off with the protagonist beating the crap out of some thugs on the island's beach while wearing a straight jacket and face mask ala Hannibal Lector. Looks good so far

Just saw Midsommar in the theatre tonight, great slow burning folk-horror horror film. Hell of a soundtrack and performance from Florence Pugh who I think will be one of the great actors of her generation. She is also terrific in Lady Macbeth.

Same here. Born in 1964, lived in rural Northants in England, so this would have been in the latish 70s and earlyish 80s.

For Junior School, we just walked down the street, up through the Recreational Ground and to the school, maybe 5-10 minutes. I always walked on our own, or with my younger brother, as the youngest brother was 5 years younger, so I had moved schools when he went to Juniors.

For Secondary School, I caught a bus. It was about 5 miles (8 km) away and the bus stopped at the end of the street, or we walked across the rec to a different bus stop. Again, I walked with a neighbour's kid for a while, then walked on my own. Coming back, we caught the bus at school, but if I had after-school stuff, I'd either catch a normal bus on my own or walk home.

Outside school, in good weather, we'd be out all the time, either on foot or on bikes. We lived on the edge of fields, so we could walk through farms, fields, into woods, into rubbish tops, into disused quarries and all sorts. We always told our parents that we'd be at some kid's house.

We were rumbled once, when we were playing on top of a silage heap, I think we ere playing "King of the Castle", so one of us would stand on top and the others would try and climb up and take his place. Now, for those of us who don't know, a silage heap is where farmers take soiled straw and pile it into a huge heap, probably 6 metres (20 feet) tall, in the hot sun it bakes rock hard and is like concrete, but the insides liquefy into pretty much raw sewage, which is then put onto fields as fertiliser. Well, it turned out that there was one part on top that wasn't as hard as they rest and one of our friends went through it, up to his armpits in liquid sewage. Fortunately, he put his arms out and stopped himself from going all the way in. We pulled him out, to find that he was coated from chest to toe in raw sewage, so we kept him 10 feet away from us, downwind, until we got him home, then we dumped him in his porch, rang his bell and ran off, leaving him to face the music.

Finished The Dark, Season Two. It was good, but obviously wants a Season 3.

Probably going to watch Stranger Things, Season 3 next.

We started watching Taco Chronicles on Netflix. Nothing cerebral but mouthwatering.

Started Stranger Things S3... Not sure what to think yet, after the first episode.

Fortunately, he put his arms out and stopped himself from going all the way in.
That's actually scary as hell - he could have easily died! Every so often you hear a story around here about someone drowning in a septic tank.

I found a bad dub of one of the Neutron movies on Youtube. It's funny because he hardly shows up as Neutron. The bad guy, Doctor Caronte (who was a real luchador) is only in the movie a bit more. It was actually pretty bad, and it was the 2nd or 3rd of a 4 film series. I had it on while I was doing something else.

Now I'm watching AEW's Fyter Fest on Bleacher Report Live via my Roku. I'm 4 matches in, and so far, my favorite was the woman's three way. Nyla Rose is a beast, but her two Japanese opponents held their own. Will probably finish the match between Cody & Darby Allin, then take care of some errands before finishing it later (and likely after finishing Revenger)

Television is something I keep on in the background when doing something tedious like painting, cooking or cleaning; it is almost always a documentary or animated series. The last live-action series I was able to sit and watch from start to finish was Showtime's Twin Peaks.

Finished Revenger. Good movie with some excellent fight scenes. Finished Fyter Fest as well. Gotta say that Janela/Moxley match was pretty brutal.

I'm now watching the short films released for the 40th anniversary of Alien. A mixed bag, but entertaining.

I just finished Bojack Horseman. Overall I like and recommend it with two conditions:

• A lot of the jokes lampoon Los Angeles and specifically Hollywood culture; it's not for everyone.
  • By the end I loathed the character of Diane because the only sane man shtick doesn't work for characters who are selfish, entitled, hypocritical, and blame all of their problems on other people.

I just started watching Detective Anna... which is sort of like an Edwardian Nancy Drew... if Nancy was Russian, could see dead people, and conducted seances.
I'm not too far in, but I'm quite liking what I've seen... it's fairly subdued, not very pulpy at all compared to something like Penny Dreadful.

Detective_Anna.jpg

I just started watching Detective Anna... which is sort of like an Edwardian Nancy Drew... if Nancy was Russian, could see dead people, and conducted seances.
I'm not too far in, but I'm quite liking what I've seen... it's fairly subdued, not very pulpy at all compared to something like Penny Dreadful.

View attachment 10824

Sounds cool where are you watching it?

For reasons best left alone I've been on a massive used DVD bender (I'm a fax addict, one for the UK fans right there).

Ash vs evil dead is fucking glorious, why didn't I watch this earlier.
Orphan Black is really great, I'm watching one episode just before bed
Despatching Grimm now that I have the whole series
Finished watching person of Interest series 1, something I've tried to do twice before but never actually finished. A little pedestrian but really enjoyable.
Picked up sleepy hollow, american gods, the Orville (it sucked me in), and a cheap box set of once upon a time seasons 1-5 to get to as well, then there's rewatching Fringe, ds9 and the xfiles

I just finished a Netflix documentary called Nuestra Lucha Libre. I enjoyed it although I feel like it tried to cover too much material in 5 30-minute episodes; consequently, it barely touched the surface of big topics such as iconic wrestling personalities and film.

The documentary is in Spanish but subtitles are available.

That's actually scary as hell - he could have easily died! Every so often you hear a story around here about someone drowning in a septic tank.

Looking back, yeah.

At the time, we were more concerned about us not getting into trouble and keeping him 10 feet away and downwind, so as not to get any on us.

Enjoyed Stranger Things 3, not sure what to watch next. I've got a lot of stuff on Netflix that I am interested in, but need to decide on one.

I want that taken with stranger thing season 3. Other than Dustin and Suzy singing the never ending story it feel flat for me, although that was great

I have watched the Venom movie and it was good.

Ash vs Evil Dead is indeed glorious and probably the best thing I have watched this year !

There's a new season of Queer Eye up on Netflix!!!

queer-eye-joe-react.gif

Started watching Series 4 of Mortal Instruments. It's OK at the moment.

Footlight Parade with a James Cagney and Joan Blondell.

Rob

Just finished Stranger Things 3. I think it was the best season yet, but not entirely without flaws. Some things will bother some people more than others. There were elements of the plot that were pretty ridiculous, and I think they were actually intentionally so. I found it charming but I can understand if some people don't.

Specifically...
...the whole idea of a Russian particle accelerator (or whatever that thing is) existing hundreds of feet under the mall and siphoning off power from the local grid was beyond preposterous. It was an overt homage to movies like Red Dawn and, to a lesser extent, Goonies. It's also the whole trope of another trope that is so hackneyed that it's ridiculous within the story itself. It's ultimately very silly fun and it winks hard at the audience. That sort of thing has a high potential for irritation but I loved it.
Overall, I thought there were a ton of terrific scenes with a large cast of very likable characters, so that's pretty much a guaranteed win. As for the resolution...I won't go into it here, but it worked for me. Especially the (yes, they really did it) post-credit teaser scene.

I just wrapped it up as well and I am right there with you. I liked the second season (except for that one 8 and 11 emo episode), but I liked this one more. I am digging that Steve "the Hair" Harrington chemistry.

Do you think the Russian Super Soldier was an homage to Dolph Lungren's Rocky character or the T-800 terminator? Or BOTH?

Is American Gods any good?
I agree with L Luca . . .the first season followed the novel closer, and some of the things the characters were working on for the whole season turned out to be a bust, so what was accomplished? More back story on a couple of the main characters. I am reluctantly becoming a fan of Dead Wife. I loved Wednesday in season one, but he grated on my nerves in season two.

It does inspire me to play a game like Underworlds or Unseen Armies.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back