What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
I really liked the first couple of seasons of Arrow. Other than that? The Arrowverse, meh. Aside from Legends of Tomorrow, which is, maybe oddly, really good. But the Flash? Meh. Just a lotta meh for me. YMMV, of course.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Certainly doesn't hold a candle to the Netflix Defendersverse

But I've always liked the Silver Age Flash as a character. And the TV version was way better than the Snyder version at least

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
So apparently this is a real thing...

197558036_330310958458218_4290587438507726039_n.jpg

Rob Zombie has been attached to direct a Munsters film

Lofgeornost

Robot Head from Pluto!
Reaction score
A couple of nights ago, I watched The News of the World, a Tom Hanks western from last year. I enjoyed it; it is a nice mix of action and character development, and Helena Zengel, a German child-actor, is good as the girl raised by Kiowa that Hanks’ character has to return to her family. Hanks is often called this generation’s Jimmy Stewart; it is maybe an odd coincidence that later in his career Stewart also played the role of someone returning ex-captives of Indians to their homes, in Two Rode Together (1961). The landscapes in News of the World were starker than in some Westerns, but still lovely. Looking at the route that Hanks’ character was following, though, the world he moves through is too empty. But that makes it more photogenic.

Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Just had my mind blown by Ken Russell's Lisztomania, now my second favourite film by him after his horror masterpiece The Devils.

A completely bonkers rock musical about the life of Franz Liszt as played by The Who's Roger Daltrey as an 18th century proto-rockstar/religious genius preyed upon by a literally vampiric, revolutionary and rabidly anti-semitic Wagner.

A giant plaster penis meets Bugsy Berkeley dance sequence, Rick Wakeman as a silver-skinned Thor, Jack Bruce on bass, cartoon Hassidic Jews reciting the Kaddish, Frankenstein Hitler with a machinegun guitar, a Aryan Superman and cult of prepubescent girls.

Like any Russell film, not for the easily offended. This would be a blast to see with a crowd at a midnight showing.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Started watching Channel Zero. Really like it so far. There's a lot of anthology horror shows I've been meaning to check out when I had the time, and Wednesday was my last final, with means I'm free until September. (Starting with a big Spring Clean, before I dive into writing and some art, and might be moving this summer). Anyways, chose this one first as I really like the lead for the first arc, Paul Schneider, a greatly underrated actor I'd ike to see in more stuff. The premise is based on Creepypastas, but they've gotten really creative with it and it doesn't feel like a bloated version of a campfire story, like some horror anthology TV shows I've seen in the past.

The Mad Hatter

Tea Party Connoisseur
Reaction score
I often help my parents with stuff (at least once a week). So my mom has recorded a show called; Hubert und Staller - Heiter bis Tödlich. So we watch it together. Great fun.

under_score

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Started watching Channel Zero. Really like it so far. There's a lot of anthology horror shows I've been meaning to check out when I had the time, and Wednesday was my last final, with means I'm free until September. (Starting with a big Spring Clean, before I dive into writing and some art, and might be moving this summer). Anyways, chose this one first as I really like the lead for the first arc, Paul Schneider, a greatly underrated actor I'd ike to see in more stuff. The premise is based on Creepypastas, but they've gotten really creative with it and it doesn't feel like a bloated version of a campfore story, like some horror anthology TV shows I've seen in the past.
Oh, that's been on my queue for a while. There's some good horror anthology stuff on Shudder. Probably the best value of any streaming service, as long as you like the genre.

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched the Exorcist III again for the podcast (https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-nyag2-105be97). This one has always stood out in my memory as a solid film. It is different from the first one, better than the second one, and kind of unique. I love the dialogue and the way the movie builds its tension. Also nice departure from the first and second movie.

soltakss

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Watched Domina, which tried really hard not to be HBO Rome and nearly succeeded.

Just finished Season 2 of Ragnarok, which has changed its flavour now that certain things have been revealed. It was OK, enjoyable enough, but I was not surprised when they revealed who the main character's brother was, as I had called it last series.

Lofgeornost

Robot Head from Pluto!
Reaction score
I caught "Mind's Eye," a 5th season X-Files episode on broadcast recently. It was good, largely because of Lili Taylor's performance as a blind woman who becomes a suspect in two murders. It featured a twist that I didn't see coming:
Taylor has been showing up at murder scenes and cleaning up the evidence. This is because she can see through the eyes of the murderer (who turns out to be her father, though she's unaware of that fact). That's not surprising, but her motive is. The killer has been in prison her entire life, so all she has seen is the inside of cells. A few weeks ago he was paroled; he has been doing things like visiting the sea shore. She doesn't want him to be caught because she can't stand the idea of looking at prison walls for the rest of her life.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yeah, favourite series of the last year. And I think it was better than the comic TBH
Yeah I also agree. This is why I'm quite interested to see what they do because this arc in the comic was quite good and yet they still improved it. So I'm interested to see how they actually handle the later arcs where there are many silly elements. I found the second half of the comic run could be fan-fiction like at times.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Watched the Exorcist III again for the podcast (https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-nyag2-105be97). This one has always stood out in my memory as a solid film. It is different from the first one, better than the second one, and kind of unique. I love the dialogue and the way the movie builds its tension. Also nice departure from the first and second movie.

Maybe you discuss this but have you seen the director's cut called Legion? Not that radically different as a lot of original footage wasn't available I believe but interesting.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Rewatched the infamous Verhoeven megahit Basic Instinct.

Funny to think of the reaction when this was released, aside from the famous glimpse of beaver (which I missed completely on my first watch) and bloody opening the film has only two extended sex scenes and a handful of short nude scenes.

At the time it was treated as smut which must have amused the European Verhoeven to no end, by the standards of his Danish films (or American films of the 70s) it is retrained!

Ironically, by today's puritan megaplex standards of course this wouldn't have come close to being screened in wide release.

Unlike his other Hollywood films of this period Verhoeven doesn't shoot everything in parodic flat-lighting and TV-like, going for a richer, denser and more cinematic look than most of his American action films.

The script clips along nicely, Stone and Douglas bring wit and chemistry to their flat but fun characters.

Not sure how I missed how clearly a neo-noir this is with a parodic and sly take on the femme fatale and noir protagonist.

With this, Robocop and Total Recall, even Starship Troopers was a hit, you'd think that Verhoeven could have done no wrong in Hollywood but it seems his career there was over after the flop of Showgirls. Reminds me of how Pauline Kael noted that industry hacks like Ivan Reitman are allowed to churn out turkeys and hits without it seeming to ever effect them too seriously but a director like Altman was blackballed after one big flop (Popeye, which of course now has a cult following). The studios resent the directors with talent and punish them for their failures much more strictly than the company men.

That's okay though at least Verhoeven was able to return to Europe and make excellent films like Black Book and the brilliantly perverse Elle.

Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score

Love it. Also forgot to mention that Basic Instinct all on its own seems to have inspired the entire subgenre of exploitation 'erotic thrillers' in the 90s that were such a staple of cable Skinamax. Most of them were of course terrible, revisiting the OG brought home how capably made BI is, kind of like revisiting Animal House and realizing how much better it was than all its many, many inferior knock-offs.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Love it. Also forgot to mention that Basic Instinct all on its own seems to have inspired the entire subgenre of exploitation 'erotic thrillers' in the 90s that were such a staple of cable Skinamax. Most of them were of course terrible, revisiting the OG brought home how capably made BI is, kind of like revisiting Animal House and realizing how much better it was than all its many, many inferior knock-offs.
Just to say, in general it is very interesting to read this sort of proper critical and historical analysis of films as somebody with no training and knowledge of it. Keep it coming.

BedrockBrendan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Rewatched the infamous Verhoeven megahit Basic Instinct.

Funny to think of the reaction when this was released, aside from the famous glimpse of beaver (which I missed completely on my first watch) and bloody opening the film has only two extended sex scenes and a handful of short nude scenes.

At the time it was treated as smut which must have amused the European Verhoeven to no end, by the standards of his Danish films (or American films of the 70s) it is retrained!

Ironically, by today's puritan megaplex standards of course this wouldn't have come close to being screened in wide release.

Unlike his other Hollywood films of this period Verhoeven doesn't shoot everything in parodic flat-lighting and TV-like, going for a richer, denser and more cinematic look than most of his American action films.

The script clips along nicely, Stone and Douglas bring wit and chemistry to their flat but fun characters.

Not sure how I missed how clearly a neo-noir this is with a parodic and sly take on the femme fatale and noir protagonist.

With this, Robocop and Total Recall, even Starship Troopers was a hit, you'd think that Verhoeven could have done no wrong in Hollywood but it seems his career there was over after the flop of Showgirls. Reminds me of how Pauline Kael noted that industry hacks like Ivan Reitman are allowed to churn out turkeys and hits without it seeming to ever effect them too seriously but a director like Altman was blackballed after one big flop (Popeye, which of course now has a cult following). The studios resent the directors with talent and punish them for their failures much more strictly than the company men.

That's okay though at least Verhoeven was able to return to Europe and make excellent films like Black Book and the brilliantly perverse Elle.

Lol I completely forgot 'Newman' was in that scene lol

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com