What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Finished the second season of Atlanta which went to some really surreal and dark places in select episodes while still also having a number of lighter episodes. Very well acted and written, one of the best comedies on TV in a while for me.

Received my Shout Factory blu of one of my all-time favourite horror films, the great 70s hippie comedown ghost story Let's Scare Jessica to Death. It is the kind of film that sticks with you, grows richer the more you think of it and revisit it. Beautiful print with a commentary by the director Hancock and an interview with Kim Newman who I was pleased to discover loves this film as much as I do.

Received my Shout Factory blu of one of my all-time favourite horror films, the great 70s hippie comedown ghost story Let's Scare Jessica to Death. It is the kind of film that sticks with you, grows richer the more you think of it and revisit it. Beautiful print with a commentary by the director Hancock and an interview with Kim Newman who I was pleased to discover loves this film as much as I do.

That's a fantastic film! I had a pre-viewed VHS copy for years

I consider it part of a spiritual trilogy with Picnic at Coffin Rock and The Vanishing

Still watching SWAT, but I decided to finally check out the new Ultraman anime from Netflix. I like the premise (that the human Ultraman merged with retained some powers after he went back into space, and that the powers passed onto their son), even if they ripped ideas from Iron Man. My main problem is the lead character comes off as bit of a whiny bitch. I get they're going with a moral quandary, but the execution of it makes the character come off as unlikeable to me. I'll finish the season, but if the lead stays whiny all the way through, I doubt I'd watch another season if it comes out

Finally got around to seeing Bladerunner 2049

And, I dunno, maybe it was my incredibly low expectations...but I think I kinda loved it.

I liked it when I watched it. It sucked me in and kept me interested. I didn't feel the visual design was as engaging as the original, but what is?

I probably need to load it up and watch it again.

Watched both versions of Dumplings again last night, and wrote this review: http://thebedrockblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/dumplings-2004-revew-two-helpings-of.html

I like that there are two versions of this movie. There is an extended theatrical release and a 40 minute short film that is part of the Three...Extremes horror anthology movie. Even though both movies pretty much use the same footage (with a couple of key exceptions, some added scenes obviously, and scenes that are recontextualized with dubbing, etc), they are very different in tone and focus. The short film feels more like a horror movie, while the second feels like a horror character drama. Both are shocking at times. Both make you uncomfortable in similar ways (I think the longer versions uses its extended time though to make you more uncomfortable). I recommend both but I think if you just want horror, you are better off watching the 40 minute short film. If you find the characters interesting after that, and want more, the longer version will clarify a lot. But they are also worth viewing back to back because of how different they are. Some of the changes result in something being a surprise in one film, but in the other serving more as a type of foreshadowing. I think the longer version does a better job of developing the characters, while the short one is tighter and has a cooler ending. Stars Bai Ling (who is tremendously good in this), Miriam Yeung, and Tony Leung Ka-Fai. Directed by Fruit Chan and released in 2004.

I've seen both versions of Dumplings too. I liked both, but I agree the short version from Three Extremes was better.

Finished off Ultraman. It got better in the last 3 or 4 episodes, with the main character finally ditching his whiny attitude. Guess I will check out Season 2 whenever it drops. Started to check out Mobile Suit Gundam UC on my phone while on the train earlier. Ok so far, and something I'll watch when I'm taking transit to and from work, etc. Still watching SWAT; almost done with Season 2

I liked it quite a bit, actually! I do think the Jared Leto part might just as well not have been in there, is all.

I agree, but I don't know how much of that comes down to me simply dislking that actor immensely

I agree, but I don't know how much of that comes down to me simply dislking that actor immensely
No, I think if you leave out those parts, the movie will be pretty much the same, really. I've seen other people say the same thing.

While it wasn't as groundbreaking visually as Bladerunner, I thought it was more emotionally effective. It was also a good example of subverting expectations in a way that made the movie more powerful rather than as a way of showing that the people behind the movie are smarter than the dumb audience for caring about the movie.

Watched both versions of Dumplings again last night, and wrote this review: http://thebedrockblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/dumplings-2004-revew-two-helpings-of.html

I like that there are two versions of this movie. There is an extended theatrical release and a 40 minute short film that is part of the Three...Extremes horror anthology movie. Even though both movies pretty much use the same footage (with a couple of key exceptions, some added scenes obviously, and scenes that are recontextualized with dubbing, etc), they are very different in tone and focus. The short film feels more like a horror movie, while the second feels like a horror character drama. Both are shocking at times. Both make you uncomfortable in similar ways (I think the longer versions uses its extended time though to make you more uncomfortable). I recommend both but I think if you just want horror, you are better off watching the 40 minute short film. If you find the characters interesting after that, and want more, the longer version will clarify a lot. But they are also worth viewing back to back because of how different they are. Some of the changes result in something being a surprise in one film, but in the other serving more as a type of foreshadowing. I think the longer version does a better job of developing the characters, while the short one is tighter and has a cooler ending. Stars Bai Ling (who is tremendously good in this), Miriam Yeung, and Tony Leung Ka-Fai. Directed by Fruit Chan and released in 2004.

Love this film in both versions!

Watched Come and See on TCM in advance of its blu-ray release on Criterion. Saw this a long time ago in a Russian film class and it has never left me. Forgive me if I gush but this is not just the greatest war film ever, it is one of the best films I've ever seen. Klimov's vision of the Eastern Front is pure nightmare fuel, deeply disturbing and moving. Despite how pitch dark the film is I can't help but feel that my life is richer from having experienced it.

In rpg terms using this as any kind of 'inspiration' seems deeply foolhardy but it makes me wonder...a wargame that is also a horror game?

Last edited:
Finished watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime, well I have reached season 4 episode 10, which is all that is on there, but maybe there are 3 more to come. It is a pretty good SciFi series, lots of action, politics and technology stuff.

What next? Grim looks good, Resurrection:Erturgrul Series 5 beckons me from the wings, but I might look for something shorter.

Finshed the final season of Bojack Horseman.

Easily one of the best TV series ever made. Incredibly powerful, emotionally haunting.

I saw Interstellar for the first time and discussed it with Adam (here: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-hetup-d27364). I quite liked it, and was surprised by how much. I normally go to bed at 11, which is when I started watching Interstellar. I stayed up till it was done and couldn't get to sleep for a couple of hours after because I was thinking about it. Not normally a huge fan of Matthew McConaughey, but I liked him in this role (and it changed my opinion of him a bit). Not usually a big Christopher Nolan fan either (nothing against him, just only saw a handful of his films). But this one really impressed me. The discussion I had with Adam isn't all praise though. There are some flaws we both agreed on (and some we disagreed on).

I watched the movie Primer last night. It wasn't bad. I found Act 1 a bit boring, but Acts 2 & 3 were cool. I was impressed at how they made a sci fi movie while using almost no special effects.

Followed that up with the latest episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow, which was a hoot, and I'm continuing to work my way piecemeal through last week's episode of AEW Dynamite.

Finished SWAT S2 on Hulu, so now I'm on to Season 3 on CBS All Access. Two episodes into Gundum Unicorn. Finding the characters a bit preachy for my tastes, but the action has been pretty good. I started watching Midsommer, but for some reason, the audio seems low when I try and watch it on my phone. I stopped for now, and will try and continue on my days off starting tomorrow.

I watched the movie Primer last night. It wasn't bad. I found Act 1 a bit boring, but Acts 2 & 3 were cool. I was impressed at how they made a sci fi movie while using almost no special effects.

Followed that up with the latest episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow, which was a hoot, and I'm continuing to work my way piecemeal through last week's episode of AEW Dynamite.

The same director made Upstream Colour which is as arty a sf psionics drug movie as has ever been made. i dug the shit out of it but it confuses the hell out of a lot of people too. The director also acts in the film AND did the great electronic soundtrack.

Watched Uncut Gems, big Safdie brothers fan so I liked it and binged all of Pop Team Epic on Netflix.

Watched this week's episode of The Magicians. Enjoyed seeing David Anders have a guest spot as a Visigoth. Loved him as Sark on Alias.

With Arrow finished, the most recent season dropped on Netflix. I watched six of the episodes (everything up to and including Crisis on Infinite Earths) on the CW roku channel. That has ads, so watching the last 2 without ads was nice. The last episode was pretty cool, as it brings back so many people. Turns out that....
Oliver brought back his mom, Tommy, Emiko and Captain Lance from the dead when he merged the 3 worlds into one. He didn't bring back his dad or the original Laurel though. All of them, as well as White Canary, Flash, Supergirl and Anatoly were there, along with every member of Team Arrow (including Roy, Thea and even Ragman was back!). They showed Diggle getting his GL ring too!

The second to last episode was a pilot of sorts for Green Arrow & The Canaries, the sequel series set 20 years in the future. It's a different future than the one seen prior to Crisis, and it left a good mystery for whenever it starts. A couple actually. I'll likely hit up the other shows on the CW channel over the weekend, as I want to go back to SWAT for a bit longer. That one had a major cast change, and the new character who replaced the one who left is interesting. They've also changed things up now, with SWAT becoming more proactive, and not always reactive (which is due to the new character's influence). Made the show even better now

I finally finished watching Grimm. I kept hoping something interesting would happen, that I might finally like the main character, but nope.
So I've moved on to Luther, for more of the British super detective genre. So far it's nice and pulpy.

Watched the movie Extraction with Kellan Lutz, Bruce Willis, and Gina Carano. I liked that it was an action movie that got straight to the action. And I liked that the fight choreographer must have known some Kali, which is one of the martial arts I used to study. Always fun to see that in movies.

I enjoyed Gina Carano in Haywire, but she was pretty wooden in this. Overall, I'd probably give this film a B-.

Just started NOS4A2 season 1.

Jury is still out. I tried to read the book twice and couldn’t get into it.

Good news: I have two seasons of the Expanse to watch and we just got that evil Disney + to explore.

And watched Overlord for the first time last night.

The Reichbusters board game = Overlord.

Finished Series 2 of Diableros, not as good as Season 1 but still Ok.

Now watching series 2 of Sabrina, it's trying to be a bit edgy but is still good fun.

We started watching Next in Fashion on Netflix because it has Tan France from Queer Eye in it and there's no new episodes of Queer Eye (yet).

source.gif

Just started NOS4A2 season 1.

Jury is still out. I tried to read the book twice and couldn’t get into it.
I really liked the book, we listened to the excellent audiobook version performed by Kate Mulgrew... and then tried watching the show... and didn't get through the first episode. I doubt I'll give it another try.

I saw Interstellar for the first time and discussed it with Adam (here: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-hetup-d27364). I quite liked it, and was surprised by how much. I normally go to bed at 11, which is when I started watching Interstellar. I stayed up till it was done and couldn't get to sleep for a couple of hours after because I was thinking about it. Not normally a huge fan of Matthew McConaughey, but I liked him in this role (and it changed my opinion of him a bit). Not usually a big Christopher Nolan fan either (nothing against him, just only saw a handful of his films). But this one really impressed me. The discussion I had with Adam isn't all praise though. There are some flaws we both agreed on (and some we disagreed on).
I hadn't really thought much of Matthew Mconaughey until he did The Lincoln Lawyer, but that was a surprisingly good movie. After that Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective 1 were quite impressive performances. Less fussed with his performance in Interstellar though. It was perfectly good but didn't really stand out in the way that DBC or TD1 did.

I was definitely in a critical mood during that podcast, perhaps overly so. Overall, I liked it, which may have made the things I didn't like bother me more. It's always nice to see a science-fiction movie that is attempting to be something other than an action or horror movie.
I really liked the book, we listened to the excellent audiobook version performed by Kate Mulgrew... and then tried watching the show... and didn't get through the first episode. I doubt I'll give it another try.
I really liked the book as well. The magic in that book had a very Unknown Armies feel to it. As for the show, the trailer didn't sell me on it, so I stayed away from it.

Gritty realism and spine-tingling suspense:

I really liked the book as well. The magic in that book had a very Unknown Armies feel to it.
I loved how personal the magic was... no standard books of spells. It reminded me of an older book, Strange Toys by Patricia Geary... about an ongoing supernatural battle between two sisters.

Just rewatched Return of the Swamp Thing.

I love this movie way more than it probably deserves - it's purely self-indulgent cheese, but it's so fun in a way so few superhero films these days are. - every minute of it just seems like everyone making it is having a blast.

Oh and it has the best opening title sequence of ANY comicbook film EVER

Long been waiting for the Severin blu of Vampyros Lesbos to drop in price on Amazon but got spooked that it may be close to going out-of-print so I finally scooped up the Jess Franco/Soledad Miranda cult classic. Ironically I've had the terrific soundtrack on CD for a long time, haven't rewatched the film since I caught it half-awake on late night TV.

I'm trying to continue watching Midsommer. Not sure what it is, but the volume feels low. I had to turn my tv way up to be able to understand what they're saying. I know it's not my tv, because everything else I watch is fine at 20, while this I had to turn up to 50 to be able to hear what they are saying. The downside is the background music gets too loud (which is bad, given I'm watching it at 1 am my time)

Long been waiting for the Severin blu of Vampyros Lesbos to drop in price on Amazon but got spooked that it may be close to going out-of-print so I finally scooped up the Jess Franco/Soledad Miranda cult classic. Ironically I've had the terrific soundtrack on CD for a long time, haven't rewatched the film since I caught it half-awake on late night TV.

Never seen the movie, but I sure love that soundtrack!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back