What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Currently on the hunt for some inspiration for classic Call of Cthulhu style plots.
Came across the trailers for these little forgotten Hammer-style gems starring Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee

Looks like a great double-feature for a Classic Brit Horror Night coming up :thumbsup:

Watched few really good horror movies the last few days

A Dark Song has been on my radar a long time. Finally got around to watching it, and it very much lived up to my expectations. Highly recommend it for fans of Gothic Occult Horror, emphasis on the occult. Without revealing anything, a middle-aged professional woman meets up with a strange geeky man and the two hole themselves up in a Welsh mantion for several months to perform a lengthy ritual from a grimoire.

Girl on the Third Floor is a simple haunted hause story that takes the premise in interesting directions. Really nice character piece, well-acted, well-paced, just a solid film all around.

He Never Died - this is I think my third viewing. One of the most entertaining films I've seen this decade. Henry Rollins is a delight, it's a shame he doesn't do more acting. It kind of reminds me of the 90s film The Prophecy, but with a blacker sense of humour.

A Dark Song has been on my radar a long time. Finally got around to watching it, and it very much lived up to my expectations. Highly recommend it for fans of Gothic Occult Horror, emphasis on the occult. Without revealing anything, a middle-aged professional woman meets up with a strange geeky man and the two hole themselves up in a Welsh mantion for several months to perform a lengthy ritual from a grimoire.
That was really impressive.

About to start So4E10 The Loss :smile:
They're all new to me as I never watched more than a handful of episodes when it first came on the air. I've finally begun the 7th season after several months of intermittent viewing. The scripts are hit-or-miss but the characters are enjoyable. 1st season was not so hot and I was disappointed they killed off one of the few characters to actually have a personality at that point.

They're all new to me as I never watched more than a handful of episodes when it first came on the air. I've finally begun the 7th season after several months of intermittent viewing. The scripts are hit-or-miss but the characters are enjoyable. 1st season was not so hot and I was disappointed they killed off one of the few characters to actually have a personality at that point.
Yep, first season has a few stinkers in it. I skipped a few on my recent watch because when it came on I found myself rolling my eyes going... "Uggh THIS one"
I HIGHLY recommend DS9 if you haven't watched it yet. IMO, it is the best Star Trek series out there.

Yep, first season has a few stinkers in it. I skipped a few on my recent watch because when it came on I found myself rolling my eyes going... "Uggh THIS one"
I HIGHLY recommend DS9 if you haven't watched it yet. IMO, it is the best Star Trek series out there.
The idea of sitting around on a space station and not exploring doesn't appeal to me much but I may give it a look once I get through The Next Generation.

The idea of sitting around on a space station and not exploring doesn't appeal to me much but I may give it a look once I get through The Next Generation.
They do explore, the wormhole central to the show is the doorway to the Gamma Quadrant. They use runabouts at first and then later get the defiant. Its much more than sitting around on a space station... much, much more. ;)

I am trying to find a time and a platform for my double feature of Super Mario Bros and Masters of the Universe, and then hopefully an audience.

Rewatched a favourite horror film of the era, Wes Craven's The People Under the Stairs. I remembered it as a fun horror romp with a black sense of humour and it is that but there are a few scenes of real nastiness as well that remind you this is the same director of Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes. Believe this is getting a special edition release soon.

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this on Amazon Prime while looking for something to distract me from folding laundry. I was trepidatious but I'm about 20 minutes in and it's pretty amusing so far. Laughed out loud a few times already.
440215f2-0e46-42fb-a6f1-6a09086a343e.jpg
I just wish they had stayed in the original costumes longer.
https___blogs-images.forbes.com_hayleycuccinello_files_2016_05_EWDG-2-1200x675.png

Last week, I had to babysit a sick friend (non-Covid) and when I got there he was two thirds of the through the first season of Umbrella Academy... which I'd avoided because I'd initially been disappointed to find it was yet another superhero show and NOT a Resident Evil series (as bad as that would probably have been).

We kept watching it till a couple episodes into season 2. My sleepless and heavily medicated friend trying to explain it to me...

It was confusing, but I liked it. It was funny and weird and spoofy... and the supers didn't seem soooooo uber powerful, except for Violin Girl.
So this weekend I binged on it from the beginning.
I'm still not sure how much I liked it.
I for sure got annoyed with their need to inject pop songs into just about every scene, certainly ever fight scene. And by the end it does ramp the power levels up quite a bit... while seeming to take itself more seriously.

Maybe I should have just stuck with just seeing the middle bits, out of context.

The first episode of Transformers War For Cybertron. It's got my interest...

I've watched it recently. One thing I loved is how the characters sound robotic. They included a lot of gear and piston sounds when they move, more than other series they actually feel like massive robots.

Plus it had a cool ending with Omega Supreme

Haven't been around for a bit, as have been too busy, but have watched a few things.

Finished watching Season 5 of Ertugrul and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watched the final season of The Protector, it was OK but not as good as previous seasons.

Black Spot is a classy French police series with a bit of supernatural thrown in, very good.

Norsemen Season 3 was funny, as were Seasons 1 and 2.

Cursed was good, sort-of Arthurian but Fae-based.

Currently watching Umbrella Academy.

Might have watched some more stuff, but can't remember.

took a break from TNG to finally finish Picard... OMG... wow.
I may have had something in my eyes....

As mentioned in the Real Life thread, I watched Ip Man 4 the other night. My probably-not-hot-take on the series is, Ip Man 1, 2, and 4 are really good, the spinoff movie Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy is really good, and Ip Man 3 is just okay. I'm glad that 4 was better than 3 and allowed the series to end strongly.

Watched the final season of The Protector, it was OK but not as good as previous seasons.

I couldn't get past the first season. I might revisit, but the protagonist doesn't seem to show growth, and it's annoying.

Cursed was good, sort-of Arthurian but Fae-based.
Agreed. I quite liked this take, especially the interpretation of Merlin.

Currently watching Umbrella Academy.
Season 1 or 2? I'm watching Season 2 currently.

I'd also recommend the Order and Ragnarok just based on these three that you've watched.

I watched the second half of season 10 of New Doctor Who over the last several days. I enjoyed it, though ultimately the 'invasion of the monks' plotline was not all that gripping, to me at least. I would have liked a bit more discussion of why the monks wanted to take over the earth, since they did not seem to be getting much out of their rule, as far as I could see. I enjoyed "Empress of Mars" a good deal, largely for the Victorian army on Mars element. The last two episodes, "World Enough and Time" and "The Doctor Falls" were pretty good too, I thought, though they had some odd plot holes. The most glaring was the idea that the Doctor could not simply evacuate the people from level 500-ish up to the Tardis on the ship's top level to escape. The Doctor claims that, because of the time dilation on the ship, this will give the Cybermen (at the ship's bottom) years or decades to prepare for his arrival at the highest level of the ship. It would, but to get to the top level of the ship they would have to go through exactly the same time dilation. So even if they spent years preparing down below they would still arrive after he and the refugees did--they should have time to get in the Tardis and disappear.

I also found Missy's attempt to be the Doctor at the beginning of "World Enough and Time" hilarious, particularly her introduction of Bill and Nardole as "my disposables: exposition and comic relief." Was this the first time in the show's history that someone suggested that the Doctor's name really is 'Doctor Who'?

Now I find myself wishing that, instead of the way this season ended, the Doctor had been lost--he guides the ship into the black hole to stop the Cybermen, or something similar--and we got a season of Missy, Bill, and Nardole looking for him, with the two of them constantly having to guide her into doing the right thing rather than the obvious or effective one. I've become quite fond of Michelle Gomez in that role; I was never that keen on John Simm as the Master.

Last edited:
I watched the second half of season 10 of New Doctor Who over the last several days. I enjoyed it, though ultimately the 'invasion of the monks' plotline was not all that gripping, to me at least. I would have liked a bit more discussion of why the monks wanted to take over the earth, since they did not seem to be getting much out of their rule, as far as I could see. I enjoyed "Empress of Mars" a good deal, largely for the Victorian army on Mars element. The last two episodes, "Word Enough and Time" and "The Doctor Falls" were pretty good too, I thought, though they had some odd plot holes. The most glaring was the idea that the Doctor could not simply evacuate the people from level 500-ish up to the Tardis on the ship's top level to escape. The Doctor claims that, because of the time dilation on the ship, this will give the Cybermen (at the ship's bottom) years or decades to prepare for his arrival at the highest level of the ship. It would, but to get to the top level of the ship they would have to go through exactly the same time dilation. So even if they spent years preparing down below they would still arrive after he and the refugees did--they should have time to get in the Tardis and disappear.

I also found Missy's attempt to be the Doctor at the beginning of "World Enough and Time" hilarious, particularly her introduction of Bill and Nardole as "my disposables: exposition and comic relief." Was this the first time in the show's history that someone suggested that the Doctor's name really is 'Doctor Who'?

Now I find myself wishing that, instead of the way this season ended, the Doctor had been lost--he guides the ship into the black hole to stop the Cybermen, or something similar--and we got a season of Missy, Bill, and Nardole looking for him, with the two of them constantly having to guide her into doing the right thing rather than the obvious or effective one. I've become quite fond of Michelle Gomez in that role; I was never that keen on John Simm as the Master.
The Daleks all yelled Doctorrr whoo? After their memory was purged of him.

Fuck that noise. Intendant Kira is not something to be missed or looked away from. What is wrong with you? :tongue:

I mean, I'm only half serious, but the last two re-watches of DS9 I skipped them as they didn't contribute to the ongoing plot - The Dominion War holds up, the mirror episodes, I was kinda fine with having seen them once in the 90s.

One scene in DS9 I only caught on a rewatch. The genetically enhanced crowd that visit Bashir are listening in on hologram recording of a meeting with the Dominion ambassadors. Then they ask for the computer to show the scene in the original language and they catch the dominion's intent about something from the particular grammar used. Shows that there are things the universal translator misses. Interesting concept I don't think was developed elsewhere.

Electra Woman & Dyna Girl was just okay. The first 30 minutes or so are the best part, then it becomes utterly predictable in the same misfits-make-good way as Mysterymen and so many other movies of this type. There were still some funny lines and moments, but too many clichés and paint-by-numbers sequences you've seen a million times before. There is a good scene involving their fancy new Electra-car that was well done. The actress who plays Electra Woman is very appealing and fun to watch; Dyna Girl a bit trite and overly earnest. All the funny lines from the duo are Electra Woman's. All in all, I give it **½ out of ****.
BetterTornGalapagosmockingbird-small.gif

Watched Vibes on TCM Underground, a middling 80s high-concept psychic-supernatural comedy that coasts for a while on the charisma of Peter Falk, Jeff Goldblum and Cyndi Lauper before being dragged down by a determinedly mediocre script.

Lauper is far more of a natural comedian and actor than Madonna, it's a shame she didn't get to make more films. She does provide a fine song for the end credits and is cute and sexy as hell too.

Last edited:
hehe, I own Vibes on DVD.

Cyndi did a surprisingly good turn in a dramatic role opposite Christopher Walken in the highly under-rated film The Opportunists

Wife and I finished Umbrella Academy Season 2 over the weekend, and while I enjoy watching, ultimately I have no idea what the show is even trying to do with it's main plotlines, they seem to just meander along. The commission is some kind of massive enterprise that exists outside of time and space and has the ability to not only utilise perfect time travel technology but also police it and yet they send 3 gunmen to deal with supers. If gunmen are their only option then who exactly is fucking with timelines enough for them to have to do something about it? Why are the kids not pissed with the Commission for having said 'the apoc in 2019 is supposed to happen' shit? Five just takes the Handlers word for it (lol) that he and his fam can go back to 2019 and the apoc won't happen anymore (why??). Seasons 1 & 2 retread the same ground of 'dysfunctional foster siblings realising that they have a lot in common and should stick together' malarkey. I think just overall there isn't a concise 'enemy' to focus on as the Handler is pretty meh as the big bad villain (and her laughably clumped up army of assassins who struggled to hit the wide side of a barn let alone a lot of the protags) who's motivation is control of supers/ability to look baller as fuck whilst controlling the commission (by killing the board who had absolutely no security in place??) Just a lot of what goes on makes me as to what is the big picture here. /rant

I couldn't get past the first season. I might revisit, but the protagonist doesn't seem to show growth, and it's annoying.

He is pretty annoying all the way through. He does grow a bit, but becomes an action hero, which is actually more annoying than he was before.

Season 1 or 2? I'm watching Season 2 currently.

Season 2. Just as confusing as season 1, but enjoyable enough.

I'd also recommend the Order and Ragnarok just based on these three that you've watched.

Oh, yeah, you know the other stuff I couldn't remember?

The Order Series 2 was pretty good.

Ragnarok is an interesting series, modern day Urban Fantasy, sort-of.

Wife and I finished Umbrella Academy Season 2 over the weekend, and while I enjoy watching, ultimately I have no idea what the show is even trying to do with it's main plotlines, they seem to just meander along.
[/ISPOILER]
It does seem to just go from one 'rule of cool' moment to another without much thought to wider questions or implications. I was genuinely OK with a lot of it, early on when it was spoofy and not taking itself too seriously... but as it took on more gravitas those things became more glaring... and weren't smoothed over by pop-song montages.

Also, what was elsewhere described as 'jaunty nihilism' started to drag on me a bit after a while. Characters who are so serious about life and love one second, gleefully slaughtering people the next.

Watched Vibes on TCM Underground, a middling 80s high-concept psychic-supernatural comedy that coasts for a while on the charisma of Peter Falk, Jeff Goldblum and Cyndi Lauper before being dragged down by a determinedly mediocre script.

Lauper is far more of a natural comedian and actor than Madonna, it's a shame she didn't get to make more films. She does provide a fine song for the end credits and is cute and sexy as hell too.

I saw that movie years ago. It was a fun movie from what I can remember. Cyndi Lauper was in some TV shows as well, and is always fun.

Lauper is far more of a natural comedian and actor than Madonna, it's a shame she didn't get to make more films.
But Body of Evidence was hilarious!
6ae64a9118642e0b19f720e1d4eca0b6.gif

Season 2. Just as confusing as season 1, but enjoyable enough.

What I really like about them race swapping Alyson is that in doing so, they gave her a lot more depth. Then they went to the 60s, and didn't shy away from what that meant. That scene in the coffee shope meant a lot.

Stewart Copeland is well known among drummers to play traditional grip. I've seen drummers use both the index and the middle finger technique. If Copeland started the index finger technique, that's interesting.

Simply switching to matched grip, which really makes more sense for a horizontally placed snare drum, would also allow for more powerful left-hand strokes, but I guess he prefers playing traditional grip because that's what he was taught.

Copeland is my main reason for enjoying The Police, not being a big fan of Sting's voice. I have to say though, while I love what Stewart played with The Police, his drumming does not look particularly graceful. He always appears kind of flailing, as it were, kind of overly enthusiastic. I think switching to matched grip would help. It's also healthier and you can play any genre or style using matched grip, you don't need traditional grip.

significant link: The Trouble With Traditional Grip | BANG! The Drum School

trad-v-match.jpg

I already elaborated some more on ways of holding your drumsticks in the what are you listening to? thread.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back