What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We've just finished watching both Inspector Montalbano and The Young Montalbano. It's an Italian series set in Sicily based on the novels by Andrea Camilleri and is absolutely brilliant with its perfectly balanced use of character, scenery, humour and crime. It took a couple of episodes (generally they are 1 3/4 hour long self contained stories) to get into because of the rapid nature of the dialogue and getting into the Sicilian way of doing things, but once you're hooked there really is no option but to binge and Covid summer has become an Italian summer, blasting through all 34 episodes of the main programme and then the first 6 of Young Montalbano, which takes things back 10 years with a different cast that is perfectly formed and is an example of how to do character origin stories right. Really recommended if detective stories in foreign climes are your thing.
Montalbano is the dog's bollocks. Highly recommended even if you speak no Italian at all.

Yep, I'm with you on both accounts. I've been waiting for her big reveal and Homelander was not buying until it was about him. I didn't think her name was "Stormfront" by accident and it was the name of a white supremacist website (which I think was removed from the internet).

Lamplighter was not what I was expecting at all, but I like this direction. I hope "Crusher" (the "Squisher?") from the lab hospital gets more development. I'm not sure how a fire manipulator got into the 7. Is that the extent of his power?

And I'm glad Starlight and Butcher found some common ground over their 5 point disadvantage known as Huey.

Did y'all get the feeling that they intended to show Lamplighter's atrocity but Netflix was like 'no, too much.' Or are they going to show it later?

Did y'all get the feeling that they intended to show Lamplighter's atrocity but Netflix was like 'no, too much.' Or are they going to show it later?
Yeah, I thought it was going to show Frenchie running up to late and seeing the horror and fading back into the shadows crying. I don't think they will now that the Colonel is caught up.

It's amazing just How bad most of the male actors are in an Andy Sidaris movie...

Apparently they're bringing back Clone High. A bit of old news at this point, but just in case some haven't heard

wow, that's going a loooong time back. It's a bit disappointing this is a reboot instead of a continuation, which seems like it would have been viable with animation. Also see a Beavis & Butthead reboot is coming. Did that Daria reboot they were talking about a few years back ever happen?

wow, that's going a loooong time back. It's a bit disappointing this is a reboot instead of a continuation, which seems like it would have been viable with animation. Also see a Beavis & Butthead reboot is coming. Did that Daria reboot they were talking about a few years back ever happen?
Apparently it's turned into a spinoff starring Jodie at college.

Of course, it's not really cannon at all, as it's from a fanfic where the Daria characters aquire superpowers...

Of course, it's not really cannon at all, as it's from a fanfic where the Daria characters aquire superpowers...

Huh, I thought it was from titles on marquees in the background of Daria cartoons or something. Fanfic never counts, not really. Does it?

Would this mean that universe missed out on Big Trouble in Little China and Back to the Future? That's almost a fair trade.

Hmm, in my Headcannon, Big Trouble would still exist,, but I could take or leave Back to the Future. I have no idea why people are gaga over those fims.

Eh, Head-cannon is a thing. What "counts" is a personal decision of a fan, IMO.

There is a near War And Peace length Duck Tales fanfic online that features drugs, genital torture, and the Viet Nam War. I couldn't find it again if you asked me to, but I tracked down the guy who wrote it (this was a looooong time ago - I actually had assumed he was someone else and was trying to confirm), and he was a surprisingly normal guy who was legitimately surprised that his magnum opus was still floating around the 'net.

There is a near War And Peace length Duck Tales fanfic online that features drugs, genital torture, and the Viet Nam War. I couldn't find it again if you asked me to, but I tracked down the guy who wrote it (this was a looooong time ago - I actually had assumed he was someone else and was trying to confirm), and he was a surprisingly normal guy who was legitimately surprised that his magnum opus was still floating around the 'net.

Are you familiar with Bartkira?

We watched Dragon's Dogma in Netflix. Kind of meh, only fun to watch because we're fans of the video game.

We just started Marianne, a French horror series on Netflix. So far it's been pretty good.

The anime, Fairy Tail. It is a guilty pleasure and one I thoroughly enjoy.

Haven't heard of that one, and looking for a new anime series. What's it about?
It's a high action fantasy, aimed at a younger set (12-14) about magic guild (That's named Fairy Tail) and it's adventures. Its like read a young adult novel at my age, a guilty pleasure.

There's a new one coming out that's got my attention, Jujutsu Kaisen, which is magic curses and martial arts.

Rewatching Freeway on Tubi.com. Forgot how fucked up (and blackly comic) this movie was during a time when indie films weren't yet the middle-brow pap the Weinsteins peddled. Reese Witherspoon is really good here.

Haven't heard of that one, and looking for a new anime series. What's it about?

Power of Friendship in a world of battling mages. Be warned, it's a shounen and it has hundreds of episodes. As shounens go, though, it's a pretty decent one. And among the (humongously large) cast of characters there are some pearls.

Seems like Maeve is incredibly powerful. Black Noir was far stronger than Starlight and Maeve could easily hold him in a choke hold. Funny how mundane his "weakness" was.

Butcher asking about what Homelander was like as a boy after meeting his own father was an interesting scene.

Not sure how I felt about Lamplighter's demise. Seemed odd to break into the tower to just kill himself, unless he knew it would set off the light. Still strange.

Obviously there was some crazy stuff at the end there and probably somewhat related to the church considering who they eliminated, but we'll see next episode how it all pans out.

Maeve vs Stormfront to some degree next week given the trailers!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back