What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We just watched Godzilla (2014). Quite enjoyable!

1cb149a73dbcbd299fc531ea1b0eb0b0.gif

Watched the Haunting of Bly Manor and The Haunting of Hill House, pretty good, creepy horror series by the same team.

Finished Revolution, a French series about the French Revolution, but with undead. It was enjoyable enough.

Currently watching an Australian series called The Bureau of Magical Things, which is a teen Urban Magic series, which reminds me of The Librarians. It is light, bubble-gum stuff, but is OK.

I've come to the realization that TV no longer interests me the way it once did.

The last series I was enthralled by was the first season of "The Boys" on Amazon. But I quickly realized how immediately a concept can be run into the ground.

Prior to that, I was enthralled by GoT, and we all know how that turned out.

Prior to that, I guess Breaking Bad was solid but even that conclusion was disappointing as was the movie.

The show I'm most excited for is "The Mandalorian" but I'm tempering my expectations. The "You" series on Netfilx is something I like to watch with my wife, but it's not exactly high art.

To be fair, I'm excited for Better Call Saul to return. It's possible that I'm a big Vince Gilligan fan since the old X-Files days...

I just watched The Clovehitch Killer, which was really excellent, far and away one of the best films I've seen this decade.

We just watched She-Wolf of London (1946). I hadn't seen this before so it was a pleasant surprise to see it included on the Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection bluray box I recently picked up. I rather enjoyed it.
There's no actual werewolf in this but a rather nasty case of gaslighting.

4f6cba87c2e9fb5cb46b67481f493e9d.gif

Heard such good things but for some reason have yet to watch it!

It's of a specific mood - I'd compare it more to a Wes Anderson film or early Coen brothers rather than a horror film, actually, but I was in the mood for something slower/easier paced after rewatching Battle Royale and it turned out to be just perfect

Just watched The Cleansing Hour on Shudder. Interesting film about a group of people who fake exorcisms for their online show, and then a real demon shows up. Even the Big S (no, not Superman, and not that charming stud on Netflix) makes an appearance before its over. I thought it was a good way of turning the typical demonic possession trope in a different direction

Just watched The Cleansing Hour on Shudder. Interesting film about a group of people who fake exorcisms for their online show, and then a real demon shows up. Even the Big S (no, not Superman, and not that charming stud on Netflix) makes an appearance before its over. I thought it was a good way of turning the typical demonic possession trope in a different direction
The Last Exorcism (2010) had a similar premise. Apparently, there was a disappointing sequel in 2013, The Last Exocism II, which we haven't seen, but the first one was really enjoyable.

The Last Exorcism (2010) had a similar premise. Apparently, there was a disappointing sequel in 2013, The Last Exocism II, which we haven't seen, but the first one was really enjoyable.

Last Exorcism was good, but the two aren't that similar (other than involving Exorcisms). The exorcism in Cleansing Hour ends up being more than just an exorcism. I don't want to say more or I'll spoil the movie.

Watching the 3rd of the Strange Events horror anthology series on Tubi. The first two were a mixed bag, with some good stories, and some bad ones.

Watched a couple episodes of 'Barbarian' on Netflix, it's a German show set in ~ 6AD. It is setting up the animosity between the Germanic Tribes and the Roman occupiers. It's not amazing, just fun for a casual watch. There is a copious amount of laughably bad fake blood that gets used, and quite a bit of melodrama but I'm interested to see where it goes in the hopes of a big battle.

Watched a couple episodes of 'Barbarian' on Netflix, it's a German show set in ~ 6AD. It is setting up the animosity between the Germanic Tribes and the Roman occupiers. It's not amazing, just fun for a casual watch. There is a copious amount of laughably bad fake blood that gets used, and quite a bit of melodrama but I'm interested to see where it goes in the hopes of a big battle.

Started watching that this weekend, too. Still not sure if I'm going to follow through. I'll give it another couple of episodes.

Over the weekend, I saw most of Forbidden Planet on broadcast. It had been years since I'd seen it; I'd forgotten that a very young Leslie Neilson plays the ship captain. Some of it hasn't aged all that well, but I still find the basic story compelling and the sets for the underground lost complex are impressive, in their retro-future way. And you can't beat lines like "Monsters from the Id!" My wife had never seen it before and enjoyed it a good deal.

After finishing the Strange Events film series, I checked out Weird Fiction on Amazon. It has a host named the Collector, and his stories revolve around items he's collected. The stories were kind of bland, and everything was seemingly modern day, but the soundtracks was totally 80's.

I'm now watching The Invoking V: Phantoms. The first Invoking was an actual full length movie, but all the follow ups are anthologies. Strange Events copied them (or may even be an offshoot). Again, a mixed bag of shorts, but it gives me something to watch on my breaks at work. It's airing on Tubi (as is the rest of the series iirc)

Over the weekend, I saw most of Forbidden Planet on broadcast. It had been years since I'd seen it; I'd forgotten that a very young Leslie Neilson plays the ship captain. Some of it hasn't aged all that well, but I still find the basic story compelling and the sets for the underground lost complex are impressive, in their retro-future way. And you can't beat lines like "Monsters from the Id!" My wife had never seen it before and enjoyed it a good deal.
It's one of my favourite films ever. It's clever and smart, yet still accessible to idiots like me.

We also found out there's actually 5 seasons of Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. Season 4 and 5 were already available on Netflix, but they recently started streaming the first three seasons under the original title Midnight Diner. So, if you're interested you should look for both Midnight Diner and Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories.

tJO70mS.gif
adc4a39f9c6919f72e522fb0943f66c362f46c66.gifv

It's one of my favourite films ever. It's clever and smart, yet still accessible to idiots like me.
I prefer the play.

We just rewatched Ring. Still great and still much more subtle and effective than the Hollywood remake. YMMV

8Ae4.gif

I prefer the remake, but I really love the expanded mythology that the Japanese Ringu sequels delved into.

Watched all three Ninja films on TCM: Enter the Ninja (with Franco Nero and Susan George!), Revenge of the Ninja and the truly bizarre Ninja III: The Domination.

All are fun and trashy in their own way but Ninja III is something else with its over-the-top supernatural Ninja nonsense, 80s aerobics, arcade games played in skimpy outfits, gender-bending demonic possesion, lots of kung-fu, cop boyfriend, V-8 sexiness, floating swords, zombie Ninjas and of course James Hong in a scene ripping off The Exorcist. Gonna get this one on blu to hear what the hell everyone thought when they were making this one.

Last edited:
If you like Hugh Laurie doing comedy, find some of the Jeeves and Wooster stuff he did with Stephen Fry, or some of A bit of Fry and Laurie. There's a fair amount of it kicking about on the interwebs.

Jeeves and Wooster was very funny, but I am not sure how well it works overseas, i.e. not in the UK.

Finished watching The Bureau of Magical Things, it was pretty good and has set up a second series.

Watched Barbarians, which I fully enjoyed, again looking towards a second series.

Finished Blood of Zeus, which was a nice little anime series. I am not that keen on anime, for various reasons, but this seemed to avoid the things that annoy me about a lot of anime. Only half-hour episodes, so it didn't take long to watch.

Currently watching Chambers, about a teen who has a heart attack and transplant, with a creepy set of parents of the dead girl whose heart she has. It is trying to be "adult" but not really succeeding, trying to be creepy but not really succeeding, but it seems OK.

Jeeves and Wooster was very funny, but I am not sure how well it works overseas, i.e. not in the UK.

it works fine over here in Canuckistan, but some of the humour hasn't aged so well...

EgC9sMLWAAAvJ4j.jpg

I'm checking out the first two episodes of Infini-T Force, an anime that teams up Casshan, Polymer & Tekkaman with one of the Gatchaman members, in a anime style Crisis on Infinite Earths style situation. While I'm not a fan of the animation style used (I'm old school anime, and while I appreciate newer forms of animation, don't like it as much as what I grew up watching), it looks like a decent show. It's free in the USA on Tubitv. There's a movie as well, but that one isn't on Tubi. After I finish the second episode, it's a double feature of Korean zombie films on Netflix: #Alive and Train to Busan

#Alive wasn't that bad. I was lazy though, and watched the english dub. It does end on a somewhat optimistic not, but It's got the evilest looking zombies though.
alive-2.jpg
Train to Busan was next, but it isn't on Netflix anymore. It is on Amazon, but I think I'll watch a couple more episodes of Infini-T Force before I watch it

We watched Pulse (Kairo) (2001) yesterday. Not exactly a fun scarefest, but a slow, bleak film that effectively conveys a sense of gloom, dread, loneliness and depression. Lots of creepy, unsettling, cryptic images.

There are more representative gifs than these, but I don't want to spoil anything.
f2f02f44a231a0c79a586328e9d22ba530286566.gif
kairo%2B1.gif

I love Kairo. It's such a slow building apocalypse. I feel the US version totally missed the point.

Just finally caught up on this lost 1970s classic, Franco's 'Count Dracula'.

It's iconic Gothic Fantasy material, set in the late 1800s.
It's as far away from the modern angsty-vampires as you can get.
No forelorn lovers, no yearning for mortality, also no hip young poetic Byron & Shelley-clones either

This film actually turned out to be okay, despite it's near-obscurity.
Not a bad attempt to bring the original novel to the screen.

It was very subdued, certainly had some miscastings, and altered the climatic demise scene to how Bram Stoker wrote it.
However it was probably the closest version to Stoker's original novel that I have seen, especially regarding the visual portrayal of Count Dracula,
Also lots of dialogue directly lifted from the original book, much moreso during the first half of the film.

Christopher Lee's portrayal here is much closer to how Bram Stoker wrote him, it's definately not the typical iconic film portrayal like Lee did for Hammer (or Bela Lugosi did for Universal). I feel Christopher Lee was really loving doing this version, as it was well known he was tired of the cheesy portrayal he had to do for the Hammer films. Ironically the audiences at the time only wanted to see Lee doing his cheesy version from the Hammer films, so portraying the novel didn't really appeal to many people at the time.

However in hindsight, this film is something that lovers of the actual book may like.
Lee was outstanding, but the film itself is a quite bland by today's standards.
Despite this, I'm happy to have this in my collection.

This is pretty much the character as Bram Stoker envisioned :thumbsup:

1604228952204.png 1604228992953.png

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back