What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just finished Dexter: New Blood. Was not expecting much, but it went a long way to redeeming the slow, sad trombone noise of the last few seasons of the original.

Finished Horse Soldiers and saw that the FX adaption of The Bridge is on Prime now. I never got to finish it before it left Hulu, so I re-watched where I think I last watched it.

As I picked up a six month subscription to Starz for 20 bucks, I'm going to start checking out Black Sails.

I'm going to start checking out Black Sails.

I picked up the first season about a year ago, but still haven’t watched it. Not my usual cup of tea, but many people have recommended it to me, and from what I’ve seen I’ve liked the costumes and set design.

I was a little taken aback in the first episode seeing Jessica Parker Kennedy (aka Nora on Flash), as a prostitute with a French accent. lol

The first episode started with some high seas action, then slowed things down as they introduce various characters. I'm only half way through the first episode, but plan on watching more later. Starz lets you download on the app, so I can watch this on my breaks at work

Black Sails sort of got away from me. I was under the impression it was a Prime programme so was taking my time with it. I had just made it through series one when it got moved to Starz. I hope it returns to Prime without another subscription on top.

I did notice (because this thread made me look), that it says it is coming off Starz in a few days here in the UK.

Black Sails sort of got away from me. I was under the impression it was a Prime programme so was taking my time with it. I had just made it through series one when it got moved to Starz. I hope it returns to Prime without another subscription on top.

I did notice (because this thread made me look), that it says it is coming off Starz in a few days here in the UK.
It's always been a Starz original program, but it has been available on other platforms before. In the US, it's also on Hulu as part of the base subscription

It's amazing the difference an episode can make.

I was struggling with the book of Boba Fett until this last episode. It was a completely different show with this episode, and I was totally engrossed.

"Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome."

I love that quote.

That spear was fucking cool though. Better than the darksaber IMO as it used a different style than we'd seen. I'm going to miss it. I understand the plot point, but I'm going to miss it.

Last edited:
It's amazing the difference an episode can make.

I was struggling with the book of Boba Fett until this last episode. It was a completely different show with this episode, and I was totally engrossed.

"Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome."

I love that quote.

That spear was fucking cool though. Better than the darksaber IMO as it used a different style than we'd seen. I'm going to miss it. I understand the plot point, but I'm going to miss it.
The Terminatoresque destruction of Mandalore.

Yes, and the whole tatooine sequence. They did Phantom Menace and podracing and trick flying better than the Phantom Menace. And when he took off and the experienced pilot said "That wasn't hyperdrive, that was his subspace thrusters" was hilarious and earned.

Currently 2/3rds of the way through episode 5 of The Book of Boba Fett. I never watched The Mandalorian, so I have no idea who the fuck these characters are, why I should care about them, or what it has to do with the show I've been watching for the previous four episodes. Other than that, I'm enjoying the series.

Currently 2/3rds of the way through episode 5 of The Book of Boba Fett. I never watched The Mandalorian, so I have no idea who the fuck these characters are, why I should care about them, or what it has to do with the show I've been watching for the previous four episodes. Other than that, I'm enjoying the series.
The Mandalorian is, IMO a lot better than the Book of Boba Fett. Also, I think they're going to be weaving these Mando series together (not sure about the other Star Wars series), so if you're only watching some, get used to that feeling.

I finished season 1 of Black Sails. I liked it, but wish there'd be more, you know, actual piracy being committed. The setup for season 2 will be interesting. I'm switching to a new Netflix series called In From the Cold before I hit Season 2 though. looks interesting so far. Also started on The Protégé, but I'm so-so on that so far.

Is that a movie or series?
Movie starring Maggie Q & Michael Keaton, with Samuel L Jackson in a supporting role. Maggie plays an assassin whose mentor (Jackson) is murdered, and she goes looking for those who did him in. From the trailers, Keaton appears to be working with those who killed him, but he's got this weird attraction thing going on with Q

Movie starring Maggie Q & Michael Keaton, with Samuel L Jackson in a supporting role. Maggie plays an assassin whose mentor (Jackson) is murdered, and she goes looking for those who did him in. From the trailers, Keaton appears to be working with those who killed him, but he's got this weird attraction thing going on with Q
Ummm... Isn't Keaton a bit mature for Maggie Q?

Ummm... Isn't Keaton a bit mature for Maggie Q?
Well so far, she hasn't shown the attraction to be mutual, because he does come off a bit creepy around her (subtle so far, but in the trailer, he's a bit more blatant about hitting on her)

So I'm about 1/4 in on the second episode of In from the Cold, a new Netflix series. I'm enjoying it so far. The main character is a former Russian spy who went underground after the Soviet Union fell, and is currently a single mom with a teenage daughter. She's recruited by the CIA to investigate some weird stuff going on in Madrid (where she happens to be as her daughter is there for an Ice Skating competition). Oh, and she can actually shape shift in a limited capacity. I hope this gets a second season.

Semi-binging The Mandalorian. Currently in the midst of S1E6.

I find Bill Burr hilarious as a stand-up comedian, but a Boston accent "Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away" is 100% breaking my suspension of disbelief.

Apparently 'Nightmare Alley' is a new version of a 1947 movie with Tyrone Power?

I loved the visuals and sets, the decayed fairgounds and the Art Deco city. Strong performances overall. The movie itself was a bit slow/long and did not go where I expected, but I enjoyed it.

I found Netflix has Akira the other day and managed to watch it in its entirety for the first time last night. It's actually aged pretty well (it's something like 35 years old) and the cinematography is as good as people say it is. Also, I now see where CP2013/2020 got its bozos from.

Well worth seeing.

Fun fact: according to the credits there's CGI in it, which I didn't notice. I presume it's the crown shaped pattern thingy, and I've seen knockoffs of that in other films, although I can't remember where (Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell maybe?).

Last edited:
Apparently 'Nightmare Alley' is a new version of a 1947 movie with Tyrone Power?

I loved the visuals and sets, the decayed fairgounds and the Art Deco city. Strong performances overall. The movie itself was a bit slow/long and did not go where I expected, but I enjoyed it.

The original is great as is the noir novel it is based on.

Watched Raimi's A Simple Plan, from a pretty much perfect noir thriller script by Scott Smith based on his own novel. Forgot just how dark this one gets with a completely desolate ending.

Just finished Archive 81 on Netflix. Very entertaining. Some solid material for Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green games, too.

Watched the first two episodes of Reacher. Its good. Its also so much more, well, Reacher-y than that godawful Tom Cruise shit.

I found Netflix has Akira the other day and managed to watch it in its entirety for the first time last night. It's actually aged pretty well (it's something like 35 years old) and the cinematography is as good as people say it is. Also, I now see where CP2013/2020 got its bozos from.

Well worth seeing.

Fun fact: according to the credits there's CGI in it, which I didn't notice. I presume it's the crown shaped pattern thingy, and I've seen knockoffs of that in other films, although I can't remember where (Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell maybe?).

I have a copy of the Streamline VHS edition, as well as a DVD release from around 20 years ago. I hated that the latter changed the Colonial’s line about duty in the dub, as that line resonated with me.

In other news I looked up the ending of the 1981 film Neighbors on YouTube. I’ve looked it up several times over the years, but this is the first time I ever found it.

Suffice it to say the finale is how I remember it in broad strokes, but far, far less dark than I recall it. In fact, it’s incredibly lame, whereas what I remember redeemed the rest of the film to me.

Part of me says the fact it’s been over 30 years since I saw it, and I’m misremembering. But another part of me is hoping it’s like Two Hands and The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, where multiple endings were filmed and what you saw was based on whether you watched the TV version or not, or what region DVD release or not.

Maybe the latter is the case, and I’ll find the version I saw on TV in the 80s again someday.

Just finished Dexter: New Blood. Was not expecting much, but it went a long way to redeeming the slow, sad trombone noise of the last few seasons of the original.

Same, I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as good as the show at it's best in the 1st and 4th season, but it was a solid sendoff

Watched Midnight Mass. A 7 episode miniseries from the director/writer of Oculus, one of my favourite horror films of the last decade. It was really good. A very slow-burn story which mixes philosophical and religious ponderings with some classic Stephen King-eque New England horror. Actually it's VERY Stephen King-like, with echoes of The Mist and Salem's Lot, but that didn't detract from it. It's nice to come across any horror these days that prioritizes getting to know the characters and exploring their psychological framework over shocks, gore, or violence. And there are some decent twists even I didn't see coming.

Watched Midnight Mass. A 7 episode miniseries from the director/writer of Oculus, one of my favourite horror films of the last decade. It was really good. A very slow-burn story which mixes philosophical and religious ponderings with some classic Stephen King-eque New England horror. Actually it's VERY Stephen King-like, with echoes of The Mist and Salem's Lot, but that didn't detract from it. It's nice to come across any horror these days that prioritizes getting to know the characters and exploring their psychological framework over shocks, gore, or violence. And there are some decent twists even I didn't see coming.
Yep this one is in my wishlist on Netflix for me to watch soon, it looks good

1644118016867.png

I am a few years behind the times, and finally giving Netflix Marvel a good watch.
I love the grittiness of it all, very different to Disney MCU in tone, which is good.
I just watched every early season in order - Dare Devil, Jessica Jones, Dare Devil S2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist - and just saw the culminating crossover series The Defenders, quite epic and more or less wraps up the underlying main storyarc.
Just brilliant, I don't know why I waited so long.
Time to move onto the next phase and do all the following seasons now
I hope it continues to be a good ride :thumbsup:

( I know Netflix has cancelled the series, and Disney MCU now has the rights to these characters. Here's hoping they do something good with the cast and continue this in some way)

Last edited:
I liked it a lot, but I feel that occasionally it gets a little too far up it's own ass with the monologuing. And I say that as someone who knows that he has the habit of long monologues from liking his other stuff (like Bly Manor).

That said, the highs of Midnight Mass are well worth the lows it has for me.

I already posted about watching this earlier on in the thread. I quite enjoyed it as well.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back