What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Bosch was also what came to mind for anyone into Justified. Good modernday Dad TV.

We just finished eating way too much tasty Chinese carryout and watching Big Trouble in Little China. It's not a great movie, but it's the most fun to watch, and since it was my kid's first time, it was nice to know he liked it too.

As far as new shows, aside from one or two exceptions, like Arcane, I'm not too interested in watching series shows. Instead I've surprised myself on how I've become an avid YouTube watcher over the past couple years.

Watched my VS blu of Tough Guys Don't Dance, Mailer's bizarre 80s neo-noir adaptation of his own novel. I cannot overemphasize how strange of a film this is. Love it.

We binged The Future Diary on Netflix. Somehow Japanese reality/dating shows are always more subtle and charming than their American counterparts. Cheesy and tacky, yes, but charming.

We also watched Metal Lords, which turned out less funny than we'd hoped.

Watched my VS blu of Tough Guys Don't Dance, Mailer's bizarre 80s neo-noir adaptation of his own novel. I cannot overemphasize how strange of a film this is. Love it.

I've never heard of this film, but bizarre is my jam, so I'll have to check it out.

Hey, wasn't there a recent-ish show based on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? Anyone know anything about it?

I've never heard of this film, but bizarre is my jam, so I'll have to check it out.
I do remember parts of the dialogue, and the ending. I do NOT remember That Scene though...

(Also, I was 1000% sure that Brad Dourif was in it, but now Imdb calls my memory a liar. Must have mistaken him with John Bedford Lloyd, or one of his weird characters in another 80's movie. :errr: )

We watched Magic Medicine over coffee. Quite interesting.

There's a Japanese show in Netflix, TristramEvans TristramEvans really liked it. I don't have Netflix at the moment so haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

Alice in Borderland. It's kinda similar to Squid Game, or in that same genre anyways, with some of the main characters corresponding to characters in the Alice stories, but this is more surface-level than anything. It's a really good show, and I read the manga right after because I could not wait for the second season. The ending is unusually satisfying for this type of central-mystery based story.

Watched the new Spiderman and Batman. The Spiderman was fun but the comedy seemed stiff compared to the first two films, the CGI weak and the attempt at emotion unconvincing.

The Batman surprised me as I enjoyed it despite the length, excessively dark photography (although it didn't look as flat and boring as most MCU films) and overt self-seriousness.

Good twisty plot where Batman actually has to figure things out and not just bust heads. The action scenes didn't overwhelm the movie and it stuck the landing for the ending (weak Joker cameo not withstanding).

Rewatched Lumet's Serpico. Pacino is of course amazing, he is now viewed by some as a ham but his best performances in the 70s were very controlled like this one.

Much more a character study and docudrama than an action film, the RL story depressing and inspiring in equal measure.

That such a relatively low key, serious film could be as big of a hit as it was suggests just how different 'box office' was in the 70s compared to now, where this would be widely viewed as an artfilm not a mainstream crowdpleaser.

Serpico is probably my favourite Pacino movie, even though I didn't even know it was a huge success:thumbsup:.

I did a mini-binge of some NCIS episodes, as I'm about 2 seasons behind. Also watched a prequel to Journey to the West where the monk fights the demons who will become his travelling companions in the actual story. It's got a bit of comedy to it, but gets serious by the final showdown (which involves Monkey King as the big bad). It was ok, but nothing special.

Hoping to go see Morbius in an hour or so

I've watched mostly movies if anything lately. I watched Moon Knight (not this week's episode.) I did watch Encanto, and Turning Red. Something about the latter's animation was just freaky, and I'm used to Pixar's animation. I enjoyed Encanto quite a bit, and my only complaint was the shortness of the forgiveness cycle (I think they cut the third act short as a friend has said.) I just needed something fun, and maybe uplifting and Disney/Pixar movies are often that. Except Up. Damn you Up. (It really is a great movie, but it hit hard in its first ten-fifteen minutes.)

Sadly, I don't watch much of anything I spend most of my time asleep (which the doctor's supposed to be working on, one of them.) Anyway, I'd be happy for suggestions of fun/uplifting things to watch. I'm afraid I'll end up at Highway to Heavan, or Touched by an Angel reruns. Please save me. :grin:

I just finished watching Iron Man on terrestrial TV (what we in the UK affectionately call Council Telly) and I have thoughts and insights I may feed into the current Marvel Multiverse thread in RPGs. If I still remember them come the morning!

Other than that it's "classic" Dr Who and weekly Moon Knight, oh, and the new Kardashians show. The latter isn't my choice, but I continue to watch in a sort of horrified fascination.

Currently watching Starhunter:Redux, which is an OKish SciFi series about Bounty Hunters on an ex-luxury starliner.

I've just watched the Netflix/Catherine Tate prison mockumentary. Starts off a bit ropey but let's just say there's a bit of a twist.

Still haven't seen Morbius, but I did watch some more NCIS episodes, a movie called The Kick (modern set martial arts film featuring a family of Korean Taekwondo experts living in Thailand), and I rewatched Atragon just now. Trying to find the Super Atragon Anime to watch as well

We're currently watching Attack On Titan and Mob Psycho 100.
I'm not usually much of an anime fan (and especially Mob Psycho starts off... W E I R D), but the series both improve a lot over their course.

Either way, too many series, too little time...
Oh, did I mention that I'd really like to re-watch Stargate?

Finishing up S4 of The Man in the High Castle and started watching Vikings as my follow-up to Justified

I watched Enter the Fat Dragon, a Donnie Yen action-comedy from 2 years ago. He stars as a cop who after getting demoted and breaking up with his fiancée, puts on a lot of weight. The fight scenes are pretty good (even if the movie itself is so-so), and seeing Yen in a fatsuit kicking ass is kind of funny.

Just binged S1 and 2 of Russian Doll. For a show that asks some big questions, they're pretty useless when it comes to providing a satisfying denouement.
I file it under what I call 'Millenial media', Its all about the feels and insta moments, not about old fashioned tropes like storytelling or actually resolving plots.

We're watching Toradora! (とらドラ!) and He's Expecting (Hiyama Kentarou no Ninshin) on Netflix.

baka-taiga.gif

Just binged S1 and 2 of Russian Doll. For a show that asks some big questions, they're pretty useless when it comes to providing a satisfying denouement.
I file it under what I call 'Millenial media', Its all about the feels and insta moments, not about old fashioned tropes like storytelling or actually resolving plots.
It seems like many recent genre shows are all about the Easter eggs and shallow references. But if the writer and the director don't really understand what they're referencing then it's hard to stick the landing.

I enjoyed S1 of Russian Doll, but I agree with the criticisms. It sets up a mystery about what is happening, but it never really answers it, being satisfied with the fact that some unexplained mechanism of the universe decided to teach these two characters a life lesson.

I don't think the issue is anything new. There are countless old shows like The Twilight Zone that operate on similar logic. It's just easier to get away with that kind of handwaving with a half-hour episode than a season-long arc. You give the audience a lot more time to think about things.

I enjoyed S1 of Russian Doll, but I agree with the criticisms. It sets up a mystery about what is happening, but it never really answers it, being satisfied with the fact that some unexplained mechanism of the universe decided to teach these two characters a life lesson.

I don't think the issue is anything new. There are countless old shows like The Twilight Zone that operate on similar logic. It's just easier to get away with that kind of handwaving with a half-hour episode than a season-long arc. You give the audience a lot more time to think about things.

I liked the first season of Russian Doll and the ending. Too often surreal shows end with rationalized endings that are anticlimatic. Sometimes the mystery is better. Haven't seen S2 because I thought the first season was complete unto itself and any sequel would be forced.

I've been making another attempt at watching Gerry Anderson's UFO series from 1970. I see where two of my favorites, X-Com and Neon Genesis Evangelion, draw inspiration from it...but I'm also boggled by how it slews back and forth from compelling to boring with whiplash speed.

It's mainly just making me pine for a modern-day X-Com TV series that doesn't and will never exist.

I finished bingeing Community, and now I'm bingeing The Good Place.
Two of my favorites.

Speaking of The Good Place, I just watched the first few episodes of Greg Daniels' newest show Upload. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It's a comedy about a world where dead people can be uploaded, and like The Good Place, it is clever for the most part. I'm just finding one huge flaw in the show's set up that is eating at me.

However, I had the same feeling after the first few episodes of The Good Place, and it turned out what I noticed was deliberate, and the first season finale revealed that what I thought was a flaw was intentional.

Without getting spoilery, there is a big company that runs the uploaded world and it costs money to exist in it. The show gives us characters that are protesting the company charging for it, and another character is working on open-source upload software that will let anyone upload themselves to their own afterlife.

That's cute and all, but I don't think owning the software is the issue. It's a question of who is going to maintain the server you are on? "Uploading is a human right" makes a cute bumper sticker, but ethically, should all future humans be born with the obligation to support my eternal retirement? It's not like The Good Place where the afterlife runs on divine magic.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back