What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Doing some catch up on Magnum P.I. since I learned it was cancelled

Started watching S2 of Young Wallander on Netflix.

He just keeps singing and singing about vegetables. I'm not sure what it's from, an ad? A comedy show? A weird personal project?
Edit: Apprently it was for an educational show.
I figured it was for an educational show but even the slowest tykes would have figured it out after a minute LOL

I just finished both seasons of Russian Doll on Netflix, so need to find something else now
Considering Outer Range on Amazon Prime

I just finished the latest season of "The Great Pottery Throwdown." We're working our way through the seasons of "Corner Gas" right now (then will go through the animated version). I have a lot of "Antiques Roadshow" to catch up on (British and American versions), but that's always the case.

I really need to go finish "Twin Peaks," "Doom Patrol," and "Bates Motel" before I forget where I was in the stories.

I haven't heard great things about the latest seasons of "Westworld" and "American Gods," but I'm probably going to binge watch them, anyway.

I have been eyeing "Severed," "Archive 81," and "Young Hyacinth."

I still need to watch the last two Spider-Man movies, "Black Widow," "Eternals," and "Shang-Chi."

Been watching some NCIS: LA and New Orleans. Tried starting the last season of Black Sails, but realized I wasn't in the mood for it yet. Watched a horror movie on the 13th called The Forest. It was ok. In some ways it reminded me of the original Blair Witch with the sounds in the forest, etc.

Last night I started a movie called Seven Swords: The Eye of Shura. It's not the same as the 2005 one with Donnie Yen. The subtitles are bad. Given this came out in 2019, you would think they'd get subtitles by now, but it's obvious whoever did them doesn't know English all that well. There's a second one as well I plan to watch after this (as I'm in a mood for Wuxia at the moment)

Despite thinking I might be done with The Nevers, I watched the last three episodes of season 1, part 1. I'm glad I did, on the whole; the series went in an SF direction I wasn't expecting. I won't say more for fear of spoiling it.

Well we unsubscribed from Netflix.

After binge watching Bridgerton we decided there weren't enough family shows we'd all enjoy to make it worthwhile. TV viewing is very much a family activity in our house.

It does when I'll miss out on He-Man Revelations and The Witcher but as I'd only ever be able to watch those in bed when the missus has fallen asleep I didn't rate my chances of watching them very quickly.

Now we're trying to decide if it's worth picking one of the others up. The missus is pretty anti-sci-fi and fantasy (including Star Wars) so D+ is out and we still have Prime but not any series on that that we'd watch as a family (and movies are a bit long to fit into the available evening schedule).

So that pretty much leaves us Britbox, which we've mostly seen before of the shows we would watch, so that's not an obvious choice either.

There's plenty to do in the evening so I'll not be lacking, but sometimes you just want to switch your brain off.

I just started Tin Star, a police show starring Tim Roth. It's really good so far, but the first episode is a fucking gut punch.

Finished Star Hunter and The Expanse. Krakow Monsters was a good little interlude. Not sure what's next.

The last two so far haven't been as good, but I still like it
Just finished- the ending was sort of lazy and lackluster, but I enjoyed it.

Also finished Arcane... wow! Really loved that one.

Started working my way through Discovery and started where I left off with the Equalizer. Liking both of them.

Still working my way through Vikings... on season 5 right now. Next will be Longmire or Black Sails.

Well we unsubscribed from Netflix.

After binge watching Bridgerton we decided there weren't enough family shows we'd all enjoy to make it worthwhile. TV viewing is very much a family activity in our house.

It does when I'll miss out on He-Man Revelations and The Witcher but as I'd only ever be able to watch those in bed when the missus has fallen asleep I didn't rate my chances of watching them very quickly.

Now we're trying to decide if it's worth picking one of the others up. The missus is pretty anti-sci-fi and fantasy (including Star Wars) so D+ is out and we still have Prime but not any series on that that we'd watch as a family (and movies are a bit long to fit into the available evening schedule).

So that pretty much leaves us Britbox, which we've mostly seen before of the shows we would watch, so that's not an obvious choice either.

There's plenty to do in the evening so I'll not be lacking, but sometimes you just want to switch your brain off.
My current favorite is HBO Max. They've got the HBO and Warner Brothers stuff, of course, but they also have other subchannels like Turner Classic Movies and Studio Ghibli.
He just keeps singing and singing about vegetables. I'm not sure what it's from, an ad? A comedy show? A weird personal project?
Edit: Apprently it was for an educational show.
He was on the '80s PBS show The Electric Company.

My current favorite is HBO Max. They've got the HBO and Warner Brothers stuff, of course, but they also have other subchannels like Turner Classic Movies and Studio Ghibli.

He was on the '80s PBS show The Electric Company.

That is single handedly the most 70's thing I have seen. Funky music to sooth the soul? Check. Weird hybrid of 2d animation and live action? Check. Secretarial skills class? Check. Pre-God Morgan Freeman teaching home ec? Check.
I love this.

Four episodes into the latest HBO mini-series by the folks who made The Wire: We Own this City. A docudrama about a group of very corrupt cops in Baltimore.

Jon Bernthal is amazing of course in the central role and you get the usual great ensemble cast you'd expect. Complex and dense but rewarding as all hell imo.

Last edited:
That is single handedly the most 70's thing I have seen. Funky music to sooth the soul? Check. Weird hybrid of 2d animation and live action? Check. Secretarial skills class? Check. Pre-God Morgan Freeman teaching home ec? Check.
I love this.

I'm old enough to have watched that when it was actually on the air. We didn't get a lot of comics-related stuff on TV back then, so it was pretty exciting to see Spider-Man, even in that odd context.

I'm old enough to have watched that when it was actually on the air. We didn't get a lot of comics-related stuff on TV back then, so it was pretty exciting to see Spider-Man, even in that odd context.
Yeah, I remember The Electric Company from back in the day; who could forget Fargo North, Decoder? Oddly, some of my favorite memories of kid’s educational TV from that era are the ‘Grammar Rock’ shorts, like ‘Conjunction Junction’ and Tom Lehrer singing about ‘Silent E’.

Last night I caught a new episode of Nature, which was about Big Bend National Park in Texas. The landscape was gut-punchingly beautiful, but then I’m a big fan of both mountains and deserts. As usual for Nature, the wildlife photography was amazing. I also did not know that there were woodpeckers that collect acorns and store them in special holes they drill in dead trees.

Last night for Bad Movie Club, we watched Lantern's Lane. Some of the time, the movies we pick for Bad Movie Club end up being just kind of okay, which is disappointing, but this one was really bad. Bad acting, bad writing, bad plot, and nothing of note happens until about 45 minutes in. The only interesting thing that happens in the whole movie is
a cameo appearance by the ghost at the very end.

My DM picked this one, and it turned out I had forgotten that I had actually seen a little bit of it before, but had turned it off about 10-15 minutes in because it was so unengaging.

Last night for Bad Movie Club, we watched Lantern's Lane. Some of the time, the movies we pick for Bad Movie Club end up being just kind of okay, which is disappointing, but this one was really bad. Bad acting, bad writing, bad plot, and nothing of note happens until about 45 minutes in. The only interesting thing that happens in the whole movie is
a cameo appearance by the ghost at the very end.

My DM picked this one, and it turned out I had forgotten that I had actually seen a little bit of it before, but had turned it off about 10-15 minutes in because it was so unengaging.

I haven't done bad movies for a while.
One thing I've tried to make them more interesting is to skip the first half to two thirds of the movie. They tend to start so slow and telegraph so much that you don't miss much, just enough to add some mystery. Then it's like, "Who is the bad guy? Why do they hate each other? Did they explain why they're all wearing glitter?"

A great bad movie transcends itself by having some absurdity every few minutes or a really deranged, surreal vibe. My all-time favs include Robot Monster, Glen or Glenda, Troll 2. Pretty obvious picks maybe but they all deliver. More recently Night Killer from Severin blew my mind.

MST3K has several Santa movies that are surreal. In the Mexican film Santa Claus, Santa uses high tech from his cloud base to check on kids and do battle with demons. I think it's even better than Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Near the beginning, the demons have an interpretive dance number.

Yeah, I remember The Electric Company from back in the day; who could forget Fargo North, Decoder? Oddly, some of my favorite memories of kid’s educational TV from that era are the ‘Grammar Rock’ shorts, like ‘Conjunction Junction’ and Tom Lehrer singing about ‘Silent E’.

I still remember the definition of certain things - and the preamble to the U.S. Constitution - by singing "Schoolhouse Rock" songs.

When I was in high school (early 80s), we had to memorize and write down the preamble to the Constitution for a history test. I was silently singing the Schoolhouse Rock version to myself, when I started noticing someone near me humming it. Then more and more people were humming it or quietly singing it, all out of synch with each other, all very quietly. At that point I realized that most of us could probably have taken that same portion of the test years before, without any prior notice.

YouTube:
Free tv has been good to me this week. Two full-length Romero movies on there, the original Night Of The Living Dead (which is perfect in it's original b&w form like it is here), and the sequel Dawn Of The Dead in all it's quirky glory/gory, yep thank you very much YouTube

Netflix:
I'm Watching Orange Is The New Black as I didn't have Netflix when it was on. It's cool I can catch up now although I'm not sure I want to go the whole distance on it. It's well done and quite entertaining, although I'm not sure I'll be engaged more than a season or so.

Watched that animated prequel to The Witcher, which was pretty good. Enough to tide me over until the next season of The Witcher comes out.

I'm catching up on some old Rake episodes from about a decade ago (the original Australian version).
Rake was alot of roguish fun, it was on later in the evenings and I missed a bit of it due to my kids being young then
(I missed so many things being caught up in the first decade of my kids' lives).
I know the Sony/Fox bought the rights for Rake and did a version set in USA, but I think a fair bit of the charm was lost in the port across, and Rake may not have stood out over there. It had the original producer involved, but it really worked best set in Sydney and Melbourne, and too many changes were made that just didn't translate or adapt very well.
The short-lived US version had good actors with Greg Kinnear playing the lead role (the character's name was changed from 'Cleaver' Greene to Keegan Dean), and David Harbour played his mate so it should of been alot of fun, but it was just lost in everything else on the screens.
The original Australian series lasted much longer, it's probably another example of just keeping things as they are. Anyway it finished around 2019, but now I've got access to the whole series on Netflix so I'm just gonna catch up on bits and pieces and have a chuckle along the way.

Waiting for the next season of Stranger Things, I'm sure it's gonna be good as usual.

Disney Plus:
Keeping me busy with episodes of MARVEL Defenders that I missed out on. I still have to finish The Punisher and the second seasons of Luke Cage and Iron Fist, as I previously skipped them after The Defenders joint series, and went straight to the final season of Daredevil.
I really hope Disney does something resuming The Defenders, as it has been truly a great production of street-supers, much more mature in themes than most of the MCU shows.

Amazon Prime:
Going thru some episodes of Bosch that I missed.
Watched most of Tales Of The Loop, it's been pretty good and fills in the gap where shows like The Twilight Zone used to be.
Hanging out for the upcoming The Rings of Power series, this is gonna be a biggie with Middle Earth fans. Fingers crossed.
I think Outer Range looks pretty interesting, so I think I'm gonna start on that one soon.

Last edited:
My wife is Phillipino-Canadian. We went into this thinking it would just lightly mock Imelda but the filmmakers went much deeper than that.
I wish my Philippino colleague would watch it. Duterte and the Marcos clan got them all thoroughly fooled, down to the history lessons being taught in schools. From their misguided position I understand people voted Bongbong. It's tragic.

Last edited:
Catching up on NCIS again. The episode I'm on references Star Trek, with the original series theme playing an important part of the story. Thought that was really cool

I assumed it was either the Muppet Show or Sesame Street.

The Electric Company, another Children's Television Workshop productions, so related to Sesame Street.

It was something of a who's who of then little known but now famous performers (Morgan Freeman and Irene Cara) and several even then well known celebrities, Rita Moreno, and Bill Cosby were regular members of the cast for at least part of its run, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder, Joan Rivers, and Zero Mostel regularly contributed voice bits and like the Muppet Show there were numerous celebrity cameos. Will Vinton contributed some claymation segments.

I am prime alumni from the show since it started when I was about 3 and ended about the time I was starting 4th grade.

My favorite bit from the show is The Adventures of Letterman which was a regular segment voiced by Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, and Joan Rivers.

We're watching Life & Beth on Disney+ after it was recommended to my wife by her best friend.

On a sidenote: since when did drinking from jars instead of glasses become a thing, how and why?

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back