What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Lttp, I have finished Stranger Things season 1. It was good but I wasn't blown off my socks. Before starting season 2 I am now watching...

VLttp: Evangelion (original Japanese version). Short episodes so I will be able to slip these in between chores. :thumbsup:

I was already vaguely thinking of reducing the number of streaming service subscriptions. I checked and HBOMax has 3-4 movies I still wanna see. I'm thinking of watching those this week and cancelling.

I'll probably come back for a month when Doom Patrol comes out. If that gets cancelled, then there will be nothing really compelling me to come back.

Took a break from The Old Man (which is good so far) after three episodes to watch The Sandman.

Only watched the first episode so far, but it was a good start.

Finished the entire season of Sandman. There are moments where the adaptation stumbles a bit, but the casting is outstanding across the board, and there are a number of improvements over the plots and characterizations of the original comic (in large part because Neil has had three decades to rethink things).

Caught Prey, the new Predator movie, on Disney+ and it's good.

Probably the best since the first although I'm going to revisit Predator 2 as it has been reassessed by some since, when I saw it around when it came out I was unimpressed.

Last edited:
Oh it's out! Need to get to watching it! Rushing to finish my rewatch of TVD since it leaves Netflix on September 3rd. Thankfully the Originals and Legacies seem to be safe for now, so hopefully I can get through the whole saga.

I watched the Netflix Sandman series over the past couple of days and I'd have to say I liked it. I can't remember enough of the comics, which I read sometime in the 1990s, to tell what the major differences in the story are, although there are a few gender or race-flipped characters which I didn't really mind. I'd give it 4 out of 5.

We just finished Prey and liked it immensely. Bunny was on the edge of her seat. They hit the sweet spot of going "back to basics" with the franchise while mixing things up with a fresh approach (protip: this is how you reboot a franchise successfully). I think fans of the OG Predator with Arnold are really going to enjoy this.

I watched the Netflix Sandman series over the past couple of days and I'd have to say I liked it. I can't remember enough of the comics, which I read sometime in the 1990s, to tell what the major differences in the story are, although there are a few gender or race-flipped characters which I didn't really mind. I'd give it 4 out of 5.
The big difference is in the comics there is interaction with other DC characters like John Constantine, Miracle Man and The Martian Manhunter so the story was reworked to account for that.

I binge-watched it on Friday and Saturday, and I really enjoyed it. I only had a passing familiarity with the graphic novel, so no real preconceptions.
My mate had some of the graphic novels in the late 1990s, so my interest was raised once I knew this was in production.

Watched the first episode last night. It's quite good, so I'm eager to watch more when I can

We watched two films on Netflix, German comedy Buba on Saturday and Taiwanese horror Incantation on Sunday. Enjoyed both.

Decided to follow-up the last doc with Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage on HBO streaming.

It's good but they miss the opportunity that I've seen in other documentaries to correct the mythology around the original Woodstock which had several reported rapes and deaths and only avoided disaster due to the quick action of the local community, the concert organizers and government officials to supply the audience with bathroom facilities, food and water for the audience.

Over the past couple of days I watched the first season of "The Sandman," the latest season of "The Umbrella Academy," all the seasons of "Pennyworth," and the last episode of the latest season of "The Orville." I read the first two series in comic form years ago.

"The Sandman" was pretty good. I'm generally not a fan of changing genders, ethnicities, etc. of characters from other visual media (like comics) without a good reason, particularly when there is something very identifiable and striking about the existing appearance of them. I will say that the actresses who played Death and Lucienne did a really good job in those roles, though, so I can't really complain about that. My understanding is that they didn't have the rights to use John Constantine, so using a version of Johanna Constantine was probably the best option.

I was a little disappointed in this season of "The Umbrella Academy." There were several instances where the characters powers were used in inconsistent ways, or simply ignored altogether. Unfortunately, in some cases they did so in ways that impacted how the scene might have played out otherwise. They kept ignoring Diego's power to bend the path of moving objects, for example, and there were several scenes where him using that ability (as he has in the past) would have greatly altered the outcome of things. Having said that, though, I really like the characters, and ended up staying up way too late one night just to watch "one more episode."

I was really enjoying "Pennyworth" up until the last episode, when it all sort of fell apart. They ended it in a really bizarre way that really didn't fit in with the rest of the show. I haven't read many commentaries on that show in general, so I don't know why they made that particular decision.

I was happy with this season of "The Orville" overall. I still think it does Star Trek better than any of the current or recent Star Trek shows, including "Strange New Worlds."

I’ve only read the first 8 issues of the Sandman comic, up to episode 5 or 6 of the show? I felt the changes they made worked and the show, with a couple exceptions, was more impactful emotionally than the comic for that first arc.

I was really enjoying "Pennyworth" up until the last episode, when it all sort of fell apart. They ended it in a really bizarre way that really didn't fit in with the rest of the show. I haven't read many commentaries on that show in general, so I don't know why they made that particular decision.
I think they're going more comic centric in the next season as opposed to how grounded its been so far.

My wife and I saw Downton Abbey: A New Era last night on DVD. It was o.k., but not as strong as the series or the first movie, I thought. In part this was because there wasn't much tension or conflict in it--particularly about the villa in the south of France, which used up a fair amount of screen time. In some ways, it felt like a farewell to the characters--everyone was given his or her happy ending, so to speak. A problem with that is that it had already happened, in a sense, at the end of the TV series, so characters had to get new and improved happy endings.

I think they're going more comic centric in the next season as opposed to how grounded its been so far.

I didn't realize they were doing a new season. It looks like you're right. From what I just read, it sounds like they are going to head more into comic territory.

Makes sense, the comic series was really just finding it's feet in the first couple of arcs.

I remember being quite confused when reading the first one at times, especially with the DC characters. I had no idea who Martian Manhunter and some of the other characters were supposed to be and it made things quite confusing to read, as if I'd missed something somewhere along the line.

The arcs they covered this season were rarely the ones I went back to for subsequent rereads. I remember later arcs like Season of Mists or Brief Lives being much stronger.

Watched Walking the Edge on blu from Fun City Editions.

Despite the generic title this is a good, gritty crime thriller starring the great Robert Forster (with a full head of hair!) and Nancy Kwan with the beloved character actor Joe Spinelli as the main bad guy.

Made in early 80s LA this has loads of period feel. Low budget and rough around the edges with enough gory deaths and nudity to qualify as exploitation but much better acted and written than other films of its era, this is a real gem.

I watched the Jim Gaffigan netflix special "Cinco" yesterday. Given the crap day at work, I needed the laugh time during my breaks, and Gaffigan is good for that

As part of my ongoing attempt to become the spiritual equivalent of an 80 year old British grandma, I have worked my way through half the episodes of "The Big Flower Fight" floral design competition show on Netflix. I am still slowly going through all eight seasons of ""The Great British Sewing Bee" and decades of different versions of "Antiques Roadshow," having completed all seasons of "The Great Pottery Throw Down" and "Best in Miniature." I retain a tenuous grasp on my "man card" with my addiction to "Forged in Fire," because metal and fire and hammers are, you know...masculine-ish.

I started watching the originals, and didn't realize until a few episodes in that Netflix only has season 5- the last season. So now I've seen several episodes of the last season :sad:

Just got the first season on Prime and started watching it.

And the hits are still coming for WB+Disc

At least give us Batgirl on HBOMax.

I wonder if they can buy out his contract and give some of the profits to a worthy cause to offset the negative publicity involved in releasing The Flash?

Yeah, at one time it was possibly the best streaming service out there.

I'm currently watching Sandman on N.F. The visuals are amazing! And some of the episodes are very interesting and not what I expected (in a good way).
Love who they got for Lucifer Morning Star - Brienne of tarth! :smile: The Sandman himself is pretty much spot on.

There is a 'but'. However, I won't go into that on this forum.

Definitely worth a watch. :smile:

I have watched seven episodes of The Sandman on Netflix this week.
I may slow down now, but by this time next week I will have done the whole season (ten episodes).
Looks pretty cool to me, no doubt it will be renewed for at least another season.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back