What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
TubiTV

Finished Redline. It's Speed Racer meets Aeon Flux (the MTV version, not Charlize Theron).

Decent, but the animation has a lot going on all the time. Also a whole lot of SpongeBob-level yelling.

Took me some effort to get through. I definitely don't need to watch it again.

I haven't been using Shudder much, which makes me feel I'm wasting money every month for my subscription. I keep looking at my watch list, but can't choose something to watch most of the time. Today I decided I need to start using it or ditch it. So I'm watching Revealer, which is set in an 1980's Chicago as the Apocalypse begins. A stripper and a religious fanatic are forced to try and survive together. It's actually a fun movie, and the two leads are fairly solid in their roles. There isn't a lot of special effects, which I think helps the film.

We watched Morbius on Netflix... meh.

I knew the Morbius character only vaguely from reading some Midnight Sons. I have no idea how true to the source material the Netflix film is but even for a supers flick it sure has some silly stuff in it.

Last edited:
We watched Morbius on Netflix... meh.

I knew the Morbius character only vaguely from reading some Midnight Sons. I have no idea how true to the source material the Netflix film is but even for a supers flick it sure has some silly stuff in it.
Ah crap here comes the Morbin Time memes again.

Amazon Prime

Just finished watching T h e m. This movie:

It's intriguing. I think there's something there. But I'm just not sure I see it. Which is kinda amusing given the premise of the movie.

The acting feels hollow... all deadpan. But it's supposed to be. Production quality is well above average, and there's some significance to the use of color palette. Again, I can't quite figure it out.

The pace is a bit slow. Not nearly as slow as Solaris. But it might be time to take in the clues the director was trying to push. It didn't quite work.

Worth watching? Yes, but you've got to be primed for watching it.
Worth rewatching to really figure it out? No.

Amazon Prime

The Alter Collection (four seasons) is a breath of fresh air. Each episode is a collection of thematically aligned shorts. So even if you don't particularly like something, it's over fast.

They're VERY inventive and don't overstay their welcome. I'm on the second episode. One of the shorts was barely two minutes, including credits.

Stories range from the profound to b-movie sensibilities.

HIGHLY recommended. I'll update if overall quality starts to falter.

Since things were slow at work, decided to check this movie called Legend of Mysterious Agents. A modern cop ends up in 1926 and fights Vampires (sadly, not the hopping kind)

After Legend of Mysterious Agents, I watched the last two episodes of SWAT. Today I checked out the first 2 episodes of Tulsa King, the new Paramount + series starring Sylvester Stallone. I wasn't sure what to expect, but It's been pretty good so far. As his character just got out of prison after 25 years, he's very much a fish out of water. Definitely going to continue watching this one.

Netflix

Turned off The Violence Action shortly after the opening scene. Perfect example of style over substance, and the style didn't work for me. Camera work was hyperactive. FX felt arbitrary.

Switched to Wendell and Wild. Couldn't hold my attention. Lots of nice touches. I powered through it, but it was a disappointment. Quirky animation, odd characters, really choppy storytelling. Anti-corruption alongside a pro drugs and alcohol vibe.

Kind of a dud evening for the tube overall.

Let’s see. What have I enjoyed over the last few weeks?

I really liked The English. Great performances from the cast, it looks amazing, nuanced storytelling with a slow, deliberate and foreboding pace. A great Western.

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022). I really do not understand why no-one is really talking about this movie! It’s fan…. Wait, it’s in German. That’s why no-one in the US is talking about it. But it’s great, and a worthy remake to add to the existing pair.

Cuphead is also pretty good. Old-school cartoon laughs, minus the casual racism. You will laugh.

I have stopped watching so many shows these days mostly as the scripts are bad.
So many have very slow, almost movement-free second Acts.
Perhaps things will improve as more writers get used to the varying format for streaming, we shall see.

Banged out two episodes each of East New York (which is becoming one of my favorite shows currently) and Equalizer. Top Gun: Maverick is now on Paramount Plus, so I think I will dive into that on my breaks today.

Edit. Top Gun isn't out, so I jumped into Season 7 of Bosch

Last edited:
I just stated watching The Frankenstein Chronicles with Sean Bean on Prime. 1832 London occult mystery type stuff. I'm on the second episode and so far it's really good.

I just stated watching The Frankenstein Chronicles with Sean Bean on Prime. 1832 London occult mystery type stuff. I'm on the second episode and so far it's really good.

It is fun I thought!

It's great until you *mumble mumble*

We watched Run For The Money and Mind Your Manners on Netflix.

Run For The Money was quite enjoyable, Mind Your Manners... we probably prefer Queer Eye to which it bears some resemblance.

Last edited:
Did a Child's Play Marathon recently. Always liked Chucky, feels like a slasher but with more of a monster movie vibe. The first movie is fun but actually still scary, it does get a bit more humorous as the franchise goes on. I decided to do a late night podcast on Bride of Chucky because that one is by Ronnie Yu and there are some interesting visual similarities to Bride With White Hair at the start of the movie: EPISODE

TubiTV

I'm more inclined towards (tiny) puppets and action figures than dolls.

I watched Ooga Booga recently, since I thought I'd seen it years ago.

For a b-movie, it's quite a hoot. Recommended.

All three Puppet Master movies are also on this free service. Less comedic vibe than Ooga Booga. Still definitely recommended.

I also watched Possum in the last week. It was decent and I respect the effort that went into it, but the pace was grueling. Could have been done just as well as an Alter short. More cerebral than anything else in this post.

Finally, if you've been putting off watching all the John Wick movies for free, they're leaving this service soon.

All three Puppet Master movies are also on this free service. Less comedic vibe than Ooga Booga. Still definitely recommended.
There's more than 3 actually (and more than 3 on Tubi, or at least there was, as I had more than 3 on my watchlist). There's a later set of films that take place during WW2, where the puppets are aligned with a US soldier and take on Nazis. I saw the first one years ago, and there's 2 or 3 more in that set.

Tried watching the first episode of Wednesday on Netflix, turned it off about halfway through.

Remember when Tim Burton was...I , dunno...good?

This is about on par with his take on Alice in Wonderland, i.e. he completely missed the point of the original series (he seems to have confused the Addams family with The Munsters...or Monster High), over-reliance on CGI, and just...boring, infantile, and cliched.
The jokes aren't clever, the dialogue isn't witty, and the "plot" seems like leftovers from a season of Riverdale.

(sigh)

We watched Run For The Money and Mind Your Manners on Netflix.

Run For The Money was quite enjoyable, Mind Your Manners... we probably prefer Queer Eye to which it bears some resemblance.
So, you guys never watch this type of true quality television, or you just don't bother posting about it? :tongue:

So, you guys never watch this type of true quality television, or you just don't bother posting about it? :tongue:

I have no idea what any of those are.

Oh, except Queer Eye...that's the one with the giant eyeball that floats over the city and shots lasers at people with bad fashion, and is gay, right?

Or maybe that was just a dream I had...

There's more than 3 actually (and more than 3 on Tubi, or at least there was, as I had more than 3 on my watchlist). There's a later set of films that take place during WW2, where the puppets are aligned with a US soldier and take on Nazis. I saw the first one years ago, and there's 2 or 3 more in that set.
Holy moley. There's 12! Well, technically 10. Plus one documentary and one crossover connector.

Time for a marathon.

Watching Arrested Development in order this time, because I missed alot of it back in the mid 2000s, (my kids were babies at the time and 2005 to 2010 was a complete write-off for me in many ways)

Arrested Development hasnt dated much, it's still very funny :grin:

Last edited:
Holy moley. There's 12! Well, technically 10. Plus one documentary and one crossover connector.

Time for a marathon.
There's also a sort of remake/reboot as well, which I saw a few years ago at the Portland Horror Film Festival. Ok for what it was, but I didn't like the direction they took with Toulon for that one. I don't know if it's on Tubi, but it was called Puppet Master: The Littles Reich. There's also a spin off with Blade, and there is supposed to be one with Doktor Death as well.

I was going to watch some more Edgerunners tonight after Bosch, but ended up just watching the new Trevor Noah standup special. It was pretty much the material he did when I saw him a year ago live, but I still enjoyed it.

Rewatching Godfather II, a comfort watch. This is my favourite scene.

Also started Ultraviolet, which is up on YT at the moment. A UK sf/spy/horror thriller series with a young Idris Elba about a group of agents discovering and fighting back against a conspiracy of vampires in the modernday (sound familiar? but much more effectively mysterious than WoD's tangled lore).

half way through Bosch: Legacy now. Still enjoying it

We just watched Spider-Man: No Way Home on Netflix.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back