What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
While we found it just enjoyable enough to keep watching I'm truly puzzled by all the fuss.

If there is any fuss, it's probably just fans of the Addams family and the character of Wednesday, which the show threw out completely to do a Monster High rip-off with a nonsensical plot.

The casting was fine. I like Jenna Ortega in the role, I was really excited to see Luis Guzmán play Gomez, he's long been one of my favourite character actors and I think he fits the original Gomez from the New Yorker strips even better than Raul Julia.

At risk of offending actors everywhere?
It is always the script that makes-or-breaks a story.
Only when an actor is super-awful, or fantastic, does it matter.

And speaking of stories, I'm almost finished with Season Two of Primal.
Hot damn!
Q: Where do you go from massacring a tribe of cave bear riding Vikings while riding a dinosaur?
A: Get the surviving warrior and son to ride a giant vulture and take hot pursuit!

The 'Primal Theory' episode was especially entertaining, if only to see Charles Darwin repeatedly punched and occasionally bitten by a Bedlam escapee.

If there is any fuss, it's probably just fans of the Addams family and the character of Wednesday, which the show threw out completely to do a Monster High rip-off with a nonsensical plot.
I think the fuss in question is that people think it's really good. I haven't bothered to watch it yet.

I think the fuss in question is that people think it's really good.

It's not. Even if you remove the Addams IP from the equation, and Wednesday acting completely out of character, the plot has more holes than swiss cheese leading up to a reveal that either screams "I don't know how genetics work" or directly implies that Gomez and Morticia are the product of & engaged in an incestuous relationship.

But hey, people love McDonalds food & MILF Manor, and Nickelback have a platinum album

I finished Primal yesterday.
A fantastic two-season run that ended when it should.

does it have a satisfying ending? I know it was cancelled, but I just mean is it an OK finish that isn't like a huge cliffhanger or leaves a lot f major plots dangling & unresolved?

That was the only thing holding me back from watching, I didnt want another 15 year wait for some sorta feeling of resolution

does it have a satisfying ending? I know it was cancelled, but I just mean is it an OK finish that isn't like a huge cliffhanger or leaves a lot f major plots dangling & unresolved?

That was the only thing holding me back from watching, I didnt want another 15 year wait for some sorta feeling of resolution
I thought so.

There is no cliffhanger - there is a definitive end to the story at the end of second season.

Last edited:
We watched Unwelcome on Paramount+ this evening.
It was a strangely fun movie, especially if you want to see
the transportation officer of Deep Space 9 blast a goblin (Redcap) with a shotgun.
Dark but some grim laughs as well.

Just watched the 2013 film Wer, which had completely fallen under my radar. And it was quite good, a nice surprise. Good werewolf movies are few and far between, especially ones that aren't hokey and bring something fresh to the concept. I think I haven't enjoyed one as much as this since Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps before that.

We're watching Ariyoshi Assists on Netflix ...

New Season of Superman and Lois is starting out pretty good, and Gotham Knights, despite my misgivings, is ... actually OK?

Finished Vanguard on my way to work. I have to say, it was not as good as many other Chan films. It had some good action, and it was interesting seeing a character using a flying hoverboard to whiz around and attack bad guys. They filmed in a few countries, so that was cool. The story was fairly typical. Chan isn't front and center, but he's in most of the film. He gets to still show off his stuff, but most of the crazy stunts were done by the younger cast.

I reached Episode 4 of Picard, only to find that the other episodes haven't been released yet, disappointing.

Then I watched the end of Season 4 of You, a mildly disturbing tale of an obsessive serial killer. Season 1 was gripping, Season 2 was almost as good, Season 3 was "Funny Serial Killers" and wasn't anywhere near as good and Season 4 actually became really dull, then span on a sixpence with a huge Wallop and became really good again.

Watched AI Rising, an arty Serbian SciFi film about an astronaut on his way to Alpha Centauri with his android companion. It was pretty good.

Finished Season 2 of Stone and Bone, an excellent Young Adult-style fantasy series set in a setting based loosely on 18th Century Muscovy with a huge void where the Urals would be, and with magic. I found it a really good steampunk setting.

Not sure what to watch next, but I am sure I'll stumble onto something.

Season 1 of Mayor of Kingstown was fantastic.
Season 2? It was mostly hot garbage, almost entirely because of a major downgrade in budget and very poor writing.
It's almost never the fault of the actors, or the production staff. Bad writing kills entertainment as fast as a lack of audience.

Just started the Lost in Space series, I've only finished episode 3 but it's enjoyable enough. Not sure about some of the science, though.

Just watched the 2013 film Wer, which had completely fallen under my radar. And it was quite good, a nice surprise. Good werewolf movies are few and far between, especially ones that aren't hokey and bring something fresh to the concept. I think I haven't enjoyed one as much as this since Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps before that.
I just ordered The Curse, aka. Seven for Silver, from the US last night.
Good Things Are Heard in regards to its were-quality.

Just started the Lost in Space series, I've only finished episode 3 but it's enjoyable enough. Not sure about some of the science, though.
I really, really wanted to like that series but found myself struggling to keep watching after Season 1.
I did finish the whole thing but while it was okay, it was not IMHO as good as it could have been.

Then again, I did love the original series episode where they turned Dr. Smith into a giant carrot.
Likewise, I loved the Smith/Robot spats.

Finished Assassins. I realized towards the end of the movie that I had actually seen it before. Still enjoyed it. I'm halfway through Drunken Master Su Qier on Tubi. Damn subtitles are out of synch (they display before the character actually speaks), which I reported to Tubi. Makes it hard to follow sometimes.

Beast on Netflix.
It’s ridiculous, but kind of fun.
Not great however.

I finished Secret Experiments Lain and really enjoyed it. An anime without fan service that tried to tell a story in a Lynchian or Cronenbergian way was a really nice find for me. If you don’t like mind fuck media you should skip it.

Just started watching Paranoia Agent, I’m half way through the first episode and am loving it so far. These serious, thoughtful anime have changed my dislike for this storytelling format.

I've been mostly watching the newer Mickey Mouse cartoons (2005-21), Bad Batch, etc. but have caught up with some older genre classics and modern cult films.

First, Master & Commander. Probably the last time we'll see a film like this get made in 'Hollywood'? With superhero films cratering perhaps the return of the Dadcore epic is a possibility.

The key here isn't just the touching characterization, expert plotting and gritty period detail but the very fine direction by Peter Weir. Discovered that the author O'Brian was also a translator of Simone de Beauvoir's later novels, which explains the excellent, literate dialogue.

Last edited:
Went and saw Shazam! - Fury of the Gods today. It was entertaining, and a nice surprise appearance by someone. Two end credit scenes, both of which point to the future (if Shazam has one)

I am four episodes down on The Night Agent on Netflix.
While the story itself is more functional than novel, the dialogue is better than expected.
The highlight is the action. There is a lot of it! Car chases, foot chases, shoot-outs, piano-wire, the works.
The pace of the story is much faster than we usually get, which is a huge plus.

EDIT: I finished the series. It was pretty good! Not fantastic, but a very solid story with a healthy amount of intrigue, action and a faster pace until the end.

Last edited:
Still working my way through Paranoia Agent, they definitely aren’t afraid to go to dark places in anime! I may need a lighter watch after this one to cleanse my palate. I’ll probably just watch a few episodes of the 80’s The Dirty Pair :shade: (I may be too straight laced but I prefer the 80’s cartoon to the manga for that property)

Working my way through Arrow's Spaghetti Western boxset Vengence Trails and started with And God Said to Cain by the the cult favourite Antonio Margheriti who made several gothic classics and usually excelled in whatever genre he dabbled in until like a lot of Italian craftsmen he hit the wall of the 80s and birthed things like Yor, Hunter from the Future.

Light years from the likes of Yor..., And God Said to Cain is an starkly constructed, violent revenge tale with touches of horror and the suggestion of the supernatural.

The collision of the melodramatically gothic look and vividly colourful SW tropes is effective and a lot of fun.

An interesting aspect of the film is that it is the nominal bad guys who are most fully characterized and through whose POV most of the film is told. Kinski, while sympathetic, is more of a cypher, repeatedly referred to as a ghost throughout.

PS. This is also available to stream legit via YT.

I've been rewatching Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes the last couple of weeks. Still highly enjoyable after all these years and highly recommend them to those that haven't ever watched them especially if you're into british tv/culture, etc.

Knocked out the two most recent Law & Order episodes on Peacock, then jumped into a couple of episodes of FBI

Netflix

Watched Furies, the prequel to Furie.
It was ok, I guess. Outlandish, stylized action. Multiple repetitive sequences.

I'm sure this isn't an original thought, but I feel like Netflix is farming film making to developing countries in the guise of diversity, but mostly to capitalize on lower production costs.

They can certainly have their cake and eat it too in this case. But it seems like they're making a point that both shitty and good movies are possible with any budget. Like we didn't already know that.

Seems they'd do much better cutting deals with Criterion of some similar company to showcase best critical international effort and then moving on. Otherwise we're just getting random weird cinematic flailings.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back