What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I skimmed through 30 seconds of random bits of this movie just so I could claim I watched some portion of it, making it eligible to post about in this thread.

But when the movie blurb makes you genuinely root for the villains, and not in a b-movie way... sigh.

If anything,those 30 seconds were worse than advertised.

Nothing relaxes me after a hard day's work, and coddles me towards a dreamy slumber, than a show with lazy paranormal ideas and terrible re-enactments.
So Seasons 8 and 9 of A Haunting ease me to rest faster than counting sheep. The narrator's voice is quite soothing!

Also, something about a Rabbit Hole, on Paramount+, later this week.
It's got that 'Michael! Michael!' vampire guy in it. So I might give the show 24 hours or so.

EDIT: I ended up giving Rabbit Hole about five minutes before I stopped watching. It's entirely forgetta-something.
I also tried the Australian sci-fi epic Occupation: Rainfall immediately after, it was just really awful. Sorry, local industry!

Last edited:
I also tried the Australian sci-fi epic Occupation: Rainfall immediately after, it was just really awful. Sorry, local industry!
Given how the first one was like Red Dawn with Aliens instead of Commies (in a somewhat good way), the sequel was a big let down.

I watched a couple of FBI: International episodes yesterday, and am now starting a two episode run on NCIS: LA.

The local public library surprised me by having the DVDs of season 1 of House of the Dragon, so I watched it a couple of weeks ago. It's basically a soap opera, but I still enjoyed it. Since it was a good deal more PG than Game of Thrones I could watch it with my wife, which was a plus (she's allergic to strong violence and especially to scenes of torture). I read the pseudo-history on which the show is based several years ago, but do not have strong enough memories of it to say how much the storyline was changed for the TV series. I've resisted the impulse to check, since I want the possibility of not knowing what is coming next (though I have a general impression of the plotline).

A couple of weeks back I also caught "The Drowning Pool" (1975) on broadcast TV. I enjoyed it, though I didn't think it was as good as the first film in the series, "Harper." It has a lot of star-power: Paul Newman, of course, but also his wife Joanne Woodward, and a very young Melanie Griffith. Looking up the cast after the fact, I was chagrined that I had not recognized some actors who later appear in DS9--Andrew Robinson, later Garak, plays the gigolo Pat Reavis, and Gail Strickland, later Alixus in the DS9 episode "Paradise" (the back-to-nature leader who traps her people on a primitive planet), is Mavis Kilbourne, the woman who is trapped with Harper in the titular pool.

Gail Strickland Drowning Pool - Copy.jpg

Watching Agent Elvis. I feel like a lot of money was spent on this. I'm astonished the Elvis Presley estate got behind a raunchy animated series. It's decent, with a lot of shout outs to the weirdness and pop culture of the era. One thing I enjoy is when the series provides context and explanation for all the crazy Elvis things like kung-fu on stage and shooting televisions. Or Howard Hughes peeing in jars. It's like it was made for teenagers born in the 50's LOL.

Watching Agent Elvis. I feel like a lot of money was spent on this. I'm astonished the Elvis Presley estate got behind a raunchy animated series. It's decent, with a lot of shout outs to the weirdness and pop culture of the era. One thing I enjoy is when the series provides context and explanation for all the crazy Elvis things like kung-fu on stage and shooting televisions. Or Howard Hughes peeing in jars. It's like it was made for teenagers born in the 50's LOL.
Yeah it was weird, but also fun? Some of the animation felt really nice too.

After NCIS: LA, I dove into FBI: Most Wanted for a couple of episodes, then onto NCIS: Hawaii. Now starting a 2 episode binge of Equalizer.

Everybody talking about Chris Rock's special and his slap-back (yeah I went there) against Will... but Marlon Wayans shows why Will shouldn't have done that...

Will Smith just guaranteed that Jada's name is going to be in the mouth of comedians for the foreseeable future...

I finished Lost in Space and enjoyed it throughout. It was far better than the B-Move stuff that I thought it would be.

Currently watching Raising Dion, about a single mother raising a son who has super powers, just finished the first episode and it looks interesting.

Watched the first few episodes of True Lies on network with the wife. We both are enjoying it so far, nice little couple show.

Just finished Murder Mystery 2, starring Rachel Out Of Friends Aniston and Adam Sandler. She hasn't lost her comic timing, they have above par chemistry, and Sandler gives one of his more subtle performances. It was much better than it had any right to be.

What, did he whisper his fart jokes?

I appreciate the joke and despise all the Sandler comedies I've seen but he is really good in Punch-Drunk Love and Uncut Gems.

Funny People is a flawed but very interesting movie too, I was surprised at how bluntly it mocks Sandler's other low-brow comedies. I guess he assumed most of those fans would never see Funny People?

I appreciate the joke and despise all the Sandler comedies I've seen but he is really good in Punch-Drunk Love and Uncut Gems.

Funny People is a flawed but very interesting movie too, I was surprised at how bluntly it mocks Sandler's other low-brow comedies. I guess he assumed most of those fans would never see Funny People?
I mostly have a personal dislike for Sandler for him making the disgusting "That's my Boy".

My wife and I have decided we really don’t need to see the D&D movie in theatres.

No, we really need to see Renfield. Like now. Squibs, practical gore effects, crass humour and Nicolas Cage as Count Dracula?
Sign us up!

Punch-Drunk Love was really good and not what I expected.

Being Wrestlemania weekend, I watched the Hall of Fame Ceremony from Friday night on Peacock. My main reason was to see Rey Mysterio get inducted. I watched him wrestle all the way back to his early days in Mexico, so listening to both Konnan (who inducted him; a rarity given he still works for AAA), and Rey himself. Seeing him break down when he told the audience how his wife gave up a career in medicine to get a job and help him out financially while he was getting started in Mexico was powerful. You could see when they cut to her, how emotional this moment was for them. Of course, to keep the storyline going, his son Dominick (who he faced last night), got up and walked backstage. There are shots online though showing how he was having trouble not crying himself listening to his dad talk. It always amazes me listening to the struggles some people who are on top in wrestling today went through just to get where they are.

Finished up the latest season of the Bad Batch which I thought was excellent, beautifully animated, episodic but building to big character moments in the final episode. Clearly made for kids/teens and all the better for it. Andor aside SW for me is at its best when it embraces its kid's matinee roots.

Speaking of which, in addition to enjoying the excellent Chip & Dale: Park Life shorts I also checked out on Disney+ the first episode of Zero Robot Monkey Hyper Force Go! and quite enjoyed its overt tribute to anime classics including my beloved Astroboy and various super sentai cartoons with a sense of humour. Again, clearly and rightly aimed at kids whose young minds would be appropriately blown by all this craziness.

And if you're a fan of animation don't sleep on Park Life, which is clever and hectic enough to recall classic Looney Tunes.

Last edited:
It seems Blue Beetle is taking over as the fun superhero

And Secret Wars seems like the direction that Marvel should be taking. Reducing the quips to little bits to lighten the mood like they had been until recently, but taking itself more seriously.

Last edited:
TubiTV

I watched Gingerdead Man last night, though to be fair, it was simply on in the background. It was terrible.

On the other hand, I had no expectations for today's pick and was more than gratified by my random selection of The Subjects.

Link for convenience:

Definitely low budget, but inversely high concept. A little bit of a letdown, but only because I wanted more after the movie made its point.

We are observing this time of year with a mystery - with a Southern Swamp twist.

This is written like a detective mystery, with the killer (whoever that is!) is also probably a Loup-Garou/Rudgarou/the subtitle feature does not work well when translating to English, from alleged English.

Joking aside, this is a pretty solid, old-school TV-movie.

Watching the superwacky Taiwanese kung fu cult classic Shaolin Invincibles from American Genre Film Archive.

Watched a boot of this a long time ago. The AGFA print is grindhousey but still a big step up from those old bootlegs.

Just watched Batman & Superman: Battle of the Super Sons. Not bad. I think I'll be watching Legion of Super Heroes next

My wife and I have been watching series 1 of Manhunt, a British police-procedural. It stars Martin Clunes, who is good in role as a senior detective getting his first big case. I was surprised by just how large his team was (it seemed like 30 to 50 people).

Haven't had the attention span for shows or movies lately, so I've just been watching YouTube clips of shows I previously enjoyed. This is one of my favorite scenes from Justified, party because it plays out like a Savage Worlds scene where Raylan is making an Intimidation roll and gets two raises.

I can't find a clip of my other favorite scene from Justified, so this dialogue isn't verbatim, but anyway, Boyd and his crew are smuggling drugs out of Mexico. They've almost made it to the border when they get stopped by Federales.

Federale: What are you doing in Mexico, my friend?
Boyd: Well, uh, sir, we are missionaries here to spread the word of the lord.
Federale: You know this country is 92% Catholic, right?
Boyd: Well, we're here for the other 8%.

Haven't had the attention span for shows or movies lately, so I've just been watching YouTube clips of shows I previously enjoyed. This is one of my favorite scenes from Justified, party because it plays out like a Savage Worlds scene where Raylan is making an Intimidation roll and gets two raises.

I can't find a clip of my other favorite scene from Justified, so this dialogue isn't verbatim, but anyway, Boyd and his crew are smuggling drugs out of Mexico. They've almost made it to the border when they get stopped by Federales.

Federale: What are you doing in Mexico, my friend?
Boyd: Well, uh, sir, we are missionaries here to spread the word of the lord.
Federale: You know this country is 92% Catholic, right?
Boyd: Well, we're here for the other 8%.

I'm getting ready to start the books before a rewatch to hold me over until the new series

Finished Raising Dion and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Currently watching The Glory, a high-class Korean revenge series, pretty good.

Also, I watched the 1973 film version of Jesus Christ Superstar on Good Friday and it is still as fresh and hard-hitting as it was when I watched it many years ago.

I was doing a binge of the three FBI shows yesterday, as they just had a crossover between the three shows, and I needed to catch up before watching that. The crossover was pretty good, with the story connected to real life events in Eastern Europe currently. I'm now watching the 2 most recent episodes of Law & Order. When I get home from work, I want to finish Legion of Superheroes, ass it was getting pretty good.

Finished Raising Dion and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Yeah, I really liked it too.

Just finished watching the Way of Water for the first time and it was really good! Just a really long movie, though...

Over the weekend, I saw the second series of Manhunt, this time about the search for a serial burglar/rapist of the elderly in London between 1992 and 2009. Martin Clunes was good as the chief detective in the case, but one of the better minor characters was the Family Liaison Officer, played by Diveen Henry.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back