What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So, I've watched through episode 3 of Strange New Worlds, "The Ghosts of Illyria," and my opinions are starting to gel. Though I like Anson Mount as Pike, the series as a whole is less--I don't know, gripping?--than I'd hoped. This episode in particular had some pacing problems (and science/logic problems, but hey, this is Star Trek).
I think Not Completely Shit is easily mistaken for Good or Great these days when it comes to franchise storytelling.

They are both parts I and II of the same story.
The second part is coming much later this year in Europe.
So a story told in two parts; no magic space rock to hang the narrative around.
The two links I posted are for two unrelated productions.

They are both parts I and II of the same story.
The second part is coming much later this year in Europe.

Did they film both films together as one film and then split it into two films without telling the actors? That is the traditional way for Musketeers films after all.

Currently watching Vikings of Valhalla which takes enormous historical liberties but is an enjoyable romp.

Did they film both films together as one film and then split it into two films without telling the actors? That is the traditional way for Musketeers films after all.
Not sure if the actors knew or not, but they did shoot both at the same time.

TubiTV

Mutant Hunt is on this free service for just a few more days.

If you have any more for b-movies at all, you owe it to yourself to watch this masterpiece of awfulness.

From cinematography to set design and costuming to acting and sfx, every expense was strangled.

I doubt any of these folks ever found work again. In any field.

Ilya Muromets!

If you can look past the brick-to-the-face racism concerning Mongols/Tartars, and the obvious Soviet-era propaganda, it's a pretty good tale.
Even a three-headed, fire-breathing dragon (that uses an actual WWII-era Soviet flamethrower) in the final act!

I think Not Completely Shit is easily mistaken for Good or Great these days when it comes to franchise storytelling.
That's a fair assessment. I saw the fourth episode, "Memento Mori," last night and thought it was better than any of the first three. So maybe things will pick up.

I did eventually notice the lack of French actors in one of those.
I think it's more the two I posted that he was talking about- that was the first half he posted. Milady is the second half.

We watched Call me Chihiro on Netflix. Absolutely loved it.

56949f74d962117922b0c4a45bf603e03a68a058.gifv

Finished up Tale of the Jedi, and then watched 2 episodes of the animated GotG series. After that, I jumped over to Paramount Plus for a couple of episodes of FBI: Most Wanted, FBI, and a 4 episode jaunt with NCIS. I watched a couple of NJPW shows, and now I'm watching Avatar: The Way of Water. This movie is just way to fucking long. I mean, it's a beautiful movie, but its also honestly mind numbingly boring at times.

Finished Avatar. The first two hours kind of bored me. It was mostly worldbuilding, while cutting to the bad guys every so often. The last third was a lot of action, which I enjoyed (I enjoyed parts of the first two hours; I just felt they took too long getting to that 3rd act). I'm now watching Crazy Samurai (aka Crazy Samurai Musashi), where they filmed a 77 minute, one take running battle between Musashi and 400 enemy samurai. It's not non-stop action; Musashi is able to get small breaks to drink some water between groups of antagonists. Once in awhile, he gets to fight better opponents one on one, but he's mostly fighting cannon fodder. One thing I like is the fight shows some strategy on how Musashi fights them. I'm definitely enjoying this from the get go.

Last night I watched episode 5 of Strange New Worlds, "Spock Amok." It's relatively light and more comic than most of the earlier ones; I enjoyed it quite a bit. I find what the show is doing with T'Pring (Spock's intended) interesting, since we know from TOS "Amok Time" that this will not end well. The show's take on Nurse Chapel is growing on me; at first I found it rather grating.

My friend and I went and saw Sisu today. Great movie. It's like Sergio Leone and Quentin Tarantino collaborated on a movie. The protagonist is a total bad ass, the Nazis are reprehensibly evil (as always), and the action, while sometimes over the top, was well done. Glad I went and saw it

So, I've watched through episode 3 of Strange New Worlds, "The Ghosts of Illyria," and my opinions are starting to gel. Though I like Anson Mount as Pike, the series as a whole is less--I don't know, gripping?--than I'd hoped. This episode in particular had some pacing problems (and science/logic problems, but hey, this is Star Trek).

I watched a few episodes and found it disappointedly flabby. But not like every episode of the original or TNG was a home run either, I intend to give it another shot.

I'm a bit of a Bently Little fan so I just watched 'The Consultant' on Amazon Prime. Good show and very slick production. Stellar performance from Cristoph Waltz. I've not read the book that it was based on so I can't compare but I'd assume that the TV show was probably pulled back a bit.
Definitely worth a watch if you like, surreal and psychological stuff. :smile:

I'm a bit of a Bently Little fan so I just watched 'The Consultant' on Amazon Prime. Good show and very slick production. Stellar performance from Cristoph Waltz. I've not read the book that it was based on so I can't compare but I'd assume that the TV show was probably pulled back a bit.
Definitely worth a watch if you like, surreal and psychological stuff. :smile:

Didn't realize it was based on a Little book, he's good and a very consistent writer so I'll have to check it out.

Got caught up on NCIS and NCIS: Hawaii since yesterday. Tried to get back in and finish Covert Ops, but work has been hectic today, so I'll try and watch some on the way home

Didn't realize it was based on a Little book, he's good and a very consistent writer so I'll have to check it out.
I didn't either! It was only because my GF said you'll probably like this as it's based on a BL book. :smile: I can't compare it to the novel as I've not read that one yet, but I liked it overall. Let me know what you think of it when you check it out. :smile:

TubiTV

Watching The Predator, a 2018 franchise movie I never knew existed until now.

They should have billed it as a sci-fi action comedy. Most of it is pretty average action fare, but there are several genuine and absurd LOL moments.

It's got Olivia Munn, Keegan Michael Keys and Thomas Jane, for cryin out loud. And a ton of other folks I recognize.

Go watch it. It's FREE.

Last edited:
Enjoying Beltane (May Eve) by watching Witchboard.

My wife and I watched the first two episodes of Citadel yesterday and enjoyed them, it would make a great basis for an espionage game.

TubiTV

Watching The Predator, a 2018 franchise movie I never knew existed until now.

They should have billed it as a sci-fi action comedy. Most of it is pretty average action fare, but there are several genuine and absurd LOL moments.

It's got Olivia Munn, Keegan Michael Keys and Thomas Jane, for cryin out loud. And a ton of other folks I recognize.

Go watch it. It's FREE.

Written and directed by Shane Black and pretty consistent with his other scripts and films.

Three Thousand Years of Longing; on Amazon Prime.
It’s a visually stunning movie that might perplex modern audiences.
It is however a pretty standard 1001 Nights-style storytelling film, the magical stuff is intriguing.

Three Thousand Years of Longing; on Amazon Prime.
It’s a visually stunning movie that might perplex modern audiences.
It is however a pretty standard 1001 Nights-style storytelling film, the magical stuff is intriguing.
I just saw the preview of Three Thousand Years of Longing
This looks bizarre and cool, possibly a bit art house, and why was I not already aware of this?
Thanks for the heads up!

I watched a few episodes and found it disappointedly flabby. But not like every episode of the original or TNG was a home run either, I intend to give it another shot.
I've almost finished the first season--one episode to go. The quality is inconsistent, I'd say--some episodes are pretty good, others not so much. Oddly, one that I thought I would not like, in which the main characters become characters in a children's book, I found that I did enjoy--maybe because it featured a lot of Dr. M'Benga, played well by Babs Olusanmokun.

One thing I'm not keen on is the way the series has reinterpreted the Gorn. They've basically become the aliens from Alien, up to the point of gestating in people's bodies and bursting out when they hatch. They also are (apparently) incredibly badass as adults, so much so that a whole contingent of people armed with phasers have no chance against a single unarmed Gorn. That all strikes me as too derivative and not very believable.

Last edited:
Went to a Purple Rain movie party last night- complete with props! Thoughts in order...

1. Why does my prop guitar say Wyld Stallyns? Left over from Bill & Ted movie party?
2. Damn, right, Charlie Murphy... he was getting the chicks! (the previews had several comedians doing Prince sketches and such)
3. He looks so young!
4. Damn I missed this music.
5. Yup.. Apollonia. He was getting the chicks.
6. Ok, so Kid was a bit of an asshole. Somehow that gets left out.
7. And problematic!
8. But he's Prince so they come back.
9. And Morris Day is worse.
10. And his dad is even WORSE!
11. But that ending makes up for a lot.
12. Damn, I can't believe he's gone!

Went to a Purple Rain movie party last night- complete with props! Thoughts in order...

1. Why does my prop guitar say Wyld Stallyns? Left over from Bill & Ted movie party?
2. Damn, right, Charlie Murphy... he was getting the chicks! (the previews had several comedians doing Prince sketches and such)
3. He looks so young!
4. Damn I missed this music.
5. Yup.. Apollonia. He was getting the chicks.
6. Ok, so Kid was a bit of an asshole. Somehow that gets left out.
7. And problematic!
8. But he's Prince so they come back.
9. And Morris Day is worse.
10. And his dad is even WORSE!
11. But that ending makes up for a lot.
12. Damn, I can't believe he's gone!
Absolutely dig Prince, even with his narcissism (or perhaps because of it) he was simply great.
The lesser known material from his 40s and 50s was top notch as well.
Yeah he was one funky cat, and I miss him making the grooves

Netflix

Rewatching The Trip (2021).
It's a fantastic under-the radar gem that's best viewed with no advance warning of its genre and no trailer or plot teaser.

Viewing guidance I offer here is similar to The Fare (2005) which is currently available on TubiTV. The Fare has my highest recommendation. No dissatisfied viewers (so far) from those who have acted on my prompt.

These kinds of movies are generally rated R or MA. But that's all you should know to get the most out of them.

Absolutely dig Prince, even with his narcissism (or perhaps because of it) he was simply great.
I don't think you can classify Prince as a narcissist. He did several things undercover that were only revealed by investigation that was to help others- especially the underprivileged. A narcissist wouldn't do that.

Based on a fun novella by A.S. Byatt btw.
The movie is great!

I don't think you can classify Prince as a narcissist. He did several things undercover that were only revealed by investigation that was to help others- especially the underprivileged. A narcissist wouldn't do that.
Yeah we can refer to his narcissm, as these traits fall on a spectrum - objectively Prince's egocentric traits would be quite high

I did not mean Prince met diagnostic criteria for Narcistic Personality Disorder, and you are quite right in saying that Prince definately had quite a generous and empathic side at times that was often not promoted by the media.

Prince was a fascinating person, extremely musically gifted, highly motivated, and an outstanding performer and entertainer.

I"m glad to have been around while Prince made his mark in the world.

Last edited:
Yeah we can refer to his narcissm, and because of my clinical background I am aware that these traits fall on a spectrum - objectively his egocentric traits would be quite high
I guess my point is that even with that background, one only gets a glimpse of the public persona and anecdotal evidence. To truly diagnose him as such, I'd think you'd need personal time with the man.

I guess my point is that even with that background, one only gets a glimpse of the public persona and anecdotal evidence. To truly diagnose him as such, I'd think you'd need personal time with the man.
Yes totally agree.

Prince was definately very complex and multifaceted, and also quite intellectual as times. His public persona was what he wanted us to see, and the more you read about him the more you find out that he was much more than that.

All this talk of Prince tells me that I'll be playing a Prince spotify playlist later today!

Yeah we can refer to his narcissm, as these traits fall on a spectrum - objectively Prince's egocentric traits would be quite high

I did not mean Prince met diagnostic criteria for Narcistic Personality Disorder, and you are quite right in saying that Prince definately had quite a generous and empathic side at times that was often not promoted by the media.

Prince was a fascinating person, extremely musically gifted, highly motivated, and an outstanding performer and entertainer.

I"m glad to have been around while Prince made his mark in the world.

Most successful musicians are narcissists and assholes. I would know, I interviewed them for years. The non-assholes were a pleasant surprise.

I watched We Have a Ghost on Netflix. Fun movie, and David Harbour accomplishes a lot with literally no dialogue. Jennifer Coolidge has a small role, and almost steals the movie (Harbour was just too good). Anthony Mackie is pretty good here too, as is Tig Notaro. It definitely takes a ghost story, and goes in a fun direction
(instead of being scared to have a ghost, they post Youtube videos, and make money in the process)

I started on Alienoid on Prime. It's a dubbed version, which is annoying (cause some of the dubbing actors feel wrong for the characters to me).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back