What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I guess my point is that even with that background, one only gets a glimpse of the public persona and anecdotal evidence. To truly diagnose him as such, I'd think you'd need personal time with the man.
Yes totally agree.

Prince was definately very complex and multifaceted, and also quite intellectual as times. His public persona was what he wanted us to see, and the more you read about him the more you find out that he was much more than that.

All this talk of Prince tells me that I'll be playing a Prince spotify playlist later today

I finished the first season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds last night. I enjoyed the final episode, particularly for the way that it weaved in elements from the original series' episode "Balance of Terror." Ultimately the time-travel/fate stuff doesn't make much sense, but that's the nature of the beast.

I did find myself wondering, at nearly the end of the episode, whether it had been written as the end of the series. It features a scene that could function as and end-point--and then the very last scene makes is painfully clear that more is coming.

Finally catching up with True Detective S3 in front of S4 coming out. Why, I do believe it's the best cop show since The Wire, and walks that line between real life and infinite dimensions of horror. Anyone wishing to run Cthulhu Now, Delta Green or any of those there modern horrorific games could absolutely do worse than study this show for mood and style.

Also Season 2 is much, much better than it seemed at the time.

Finally catching up with True Detective S3 in front of S4 coming out. Why, I do believe it's the best cop show since The Wire, and walks that line between real life and infinite dimensions of horror. Anyone wishing to run Cthulhu Now, Delta Green or any of those there modern horrorific games could absolutely do worse than study this show for mood and style.

S3 is excellent, damn excellent and I agree S2 is underrated.

Season 2 has some good elements, but also a few weak spots. I think it suffered by being compared to season 1 which was so good. But overall, it’s worth checking out.

Season 3 is very good. Again, not quite on par with season 1, but more… controlled (?) than season 2. Ali and Dorf were both great, and it leaned more into the existential stuff that made the first season so good.

Hopefully, season 4 benefits from some time having passed and can be judged more on its own merits.

I saw that the 2018 Tomb Raider was on Plex, so I had it on while I was playing a game. It was ok, but nothing special. I just finished Nekrotronic, a horror-comedy about Necromancers fighting demons. It's a fun movie, and you can't beat having Monic Belluci in it as the main villain.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 was good, long but good. It was also pretty dark, darker than 2 I thought, but it ends in a good place to leave the franchise. That said this series is kind of like John Wick where I doubt I’d ever purposely rewatch any but the first film.

Finally got my wife to watch the first John Wick movie. I wasn't sure if the puppy would seal the deal or have her demand the movie be turned off. It turned out, that was exactly the motive she needed to watch Keanu Reeves kill people for over an hour.

Finished Vikings of Valhalla, Seasons 1 and 2, hopefully there will be further Seasons.

Currently watching Seasons 2 and 3 of Sex Education, still as funny as the first Season.

It’s kind of crazy how closely Jeremy Jahns shares my thoughts on this film. I don’t always agree with him but I mostly do and he is perhaps my favorite YouTube movie review. BTW he does skip the animal cruelty part, it is a main theme of the film.

I also saw GotG yesterday. I liked it, but like S sharps54 said, it gets dark (but not overwhelmingly so). The end credits were fun; I liked the second one better than the first.

I also watched the live action Alita movie on Hulu. Decent movie, and I was impressed with some of the cast they had. I was looking up the cast afterwards, and saw something about the lead actress talking about a sequel. I think my next movie is going to be Medieval on Hulu, as it has been on my radar for awhile.

We're watching Love Village, another quality Japanese reality dating show on Netflix :clown:

TubiTV

Watching The Predator, a 2018 franchise movie I never knew existed until now.

They should have billed it as a sci-fi action comedy. Most of it is pretty average action fare, but there are several genuine and absurd LOL moments.

It's got Olivia Munn, Keegan Michael Keys and Thomas Jane, for cryin out loud. And a ton of other folks I recognize.

Go watch it. It's FREE.

I have to admit, The Predator sort of grew on me. First time I saw it, I was expecting a Predator movie and... this isn't it. But as you say, going in expecting an action-comedy in Sam Rami sort of style, it kind of works. Also, Oliva Munn.

Then again, I seem to prefer the "bad" Predator movies like Predator 2 (the with Danny Glover) and AvN (the one in the pyramid). The first one, the classic, I find very hard to watch as, despite the killer concept and set pieces, the acting is just terrible.

Last edited:
Saw GoG Vol 3. Loved it. Felt like a return to form for the MCU after some recent misfires, but of course everyone has different preferences. Visually it was a treat, Luc Besson good. Good pace, good humour, heart in the right place, good but not overlong action. I am sure to rewatch when it lands on Disney+.

Fun fact, we went to an early showing. As a result my friends and I have the entire cinema to ourselves. Well, maybe not so fun for the cinema owners.

It was a very different take on Warlock and the High Evolutionary from 616 Marvel (as with all the GoG character), but at the same time it does draw from the original material. The version of Warlock is closer to the very first appearances of Warlock, back when he was just known as Him. And back then he was a strong as Thor but mentally just a petulant child. Casting the actior who played Eustance in the Narnia movie really brings that petulance home.

Then is Counter Earth which is in the comics was the link between the the High Evolutionary and Warlock as featured inWarlocks first series. The specfics are entirety different, but still nice for the fans to see that call back. And by the end of the movie, we get the modern version of Warlockm as a Guardian himself.

That said, the star of the show was Cosmo's "Bad dog" gag.

I have to admit, The Predator sort of grew on me. First time I saw it, I was expecting a Predator movie and... this isn't it. But as you say, going in expecting an action-comedy in Sam Rami sort of style, it kind of works. Also, Oliva Munn.

Then again, I seem to prefer the "bad" Predator movies like Predator 2 (the with Danny Glover) and AvN (the one in the pyramid). The first one, the classic, I find very hard to watch as, despite the killer concept and set pieces, the acting is just terrible.

Predator 2 has been re-evaluated and gets a lot more love these days. I find it just too hectic, I should give kt another shot.

The original is definitely full of goofball dialogue but that's part of the charm to me.

Saw GoG Vol 3. Loved it. Felt like a return to form for the MCU after some recent misfires, but of course everyone has different preferences. Visually it was a treat, Luc Besson good. Good pace, good humour, heart in the right place, good but not overlong action. I am sure to rewatch when it lands on Disney+.

Fun fact, we went to an early showing. As a result my friends and I have the entire cinema to ourselves. Well, maybe not so fun for the cinema owners.

It was a very different take on Warlock and the High Evolutionary from 616 Marvel (as with all the GoG character), but at the same time it does draw from the original material. The version of Warlock is closer to the very first appearances of Warlock, back when he was just known as Him. And back then he was a strong as Thor but mentally just a petulant child. Casting the actior who played Eustance in the Narnia movie really brings that petulance home.

Then is Counter Earth which is in the comics was the link between the the High Evolutionary and Warlock as featured inWarlocks first series. The specfics are entirety different, but still nice for the fans to see that call back. And by the end of the movie, we get the modern version of Warlockm as a Guardian himself.

That said, the star of the show was Cosmo's "Bad dog" gag.

Warlock and High Evolutionary? I was going to check this out already and expected good things but see those two will be a lot of fun.

I've been watching some inspirational material for my next D&D game and have to say The Thing prequel was pretty good. I liked the heroine, Kate. She was cut from the same cloth as MacReady in the OG film.

Well that sucks. I wonder if they can shop it around?
They said it's not likely. It's a Sony production, so they're going to have the same problem anywhere. The sucky part is that CBS blinked first and offered Sony what they wanted. But it had taken so long that pre-production and the writer's strike was going to make it still economically infeasible.

They said it's not likely. It's a Sony production, so they're going to have the same problem anywhere. The sucky part is that CBS blinked first and offered Sony what they wanted. But it had taken so long that pre-production and the writer's strike was going to make it still economically infeasible.
That's too bad. I really liked SWAT. Was hoping maybe NBC might jump in like they did with Magnum PI.

I'm currently watching The Night Agent, and enjoying it. Before that, I caught up on Law & Order, and watch the latest WWE premium event. That crowd in Puerto Rico was just amazing. I'm still amazed how Bad Bunny (who is a 3 time Grammy winner) put in so much effort into competing. He's competed 3 times for WWE so far, and damn, he's really good. Logan Paul might be a little better (and flashier), but this guy is already a megastar in Music (while Paul is just some high end Youtuber), and he literally stole the show with his match.

Over the weekend my wife and I finished up series 4 of The Durrells on DVD. We both really enjoyed it; I was a good deal funnier than I had anticipated. Daisy Waterstone as Margo Durrell was particularly amusing--very well written and acted.

In the end, though, I found myself wishing that they'd changed the names of the characters--called them the Darnells or Carrells or something. Most of the significant characters on the show are named after--and loosely based on--real people, but (as far as I can gather) most of what goes on in the show is entirely invented. That bothers me a little. It's one thing to make a completely fictional drama about a famous figure, like Caesar, but another thing when many of the people involved are simply private individuals--like the non-famous Durrell siblings Leslie and Margo, or Spiro Halikiopolous, whom the show makes into Louisa Durrell's love interest.

And I guess the backlash was more than they expected:

Well Yay! then.

Damn, Seal Team is one I watched the first episode of, and for some reason, never went back. Given how much I loved The Unit, it's in my wheelhouse. I need to go back to it.

I finished Night Agent this morning, and just now finished the last of the 4 more recent SWAT episodes (since I thought it was canned).

I'm currently watching The Sandbaggers, which is probably unknown to anyone not living in the UK at the end of the Seventies. I didn't discover it until much later.

The Sandbaggers was produced by Yorkshire Television and ran for three seasons (for a total of 20 episodes, this is British tv seasons, which are always short).

It depicts the activities and issues faced by the mostly fictional Secret Intelligence Service (unstated, but effectively it's MI6) during the Cold War. Though fictional, it was created and written by Ian Mackintosh. He seemed to be very much in-the-know, to the point that one episode was cancelled due to being too accurate about then-current events. Mackintosh himself disappeared (somewhat mysteriously) in '79.

It's very much in the Ipcress File and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy territory of spycraft. And feels more realistic than either of them. Much of what goes on concerns political one-upmanship between SIS, the MoD and the government. The lead character, Burnside, has a better relationship with the CIA.

Speaking of Burnside, he's the real reason the show works. He's a Magnificent Bastard. Juggling the well-being of his department, ever-shifting political allegiences and the safety of his operatives (the titular Sandbaggers), he's both easy to root for and despise. He does deplorable things, sometimes not even for the greater good, but because it furthers his immediate needs.

The Sandbaggers is one of those shows that deserves so much more attention than it gets. But it's steadfast in it's refusal to be exciting and glamorous. When action does take place, it's brief and sudden and usually means a nasty death, possibly for one of the main cast.

The episodes can be seen (in poor quality, sadly) on Youtube. I'm currently enjoying a rewatch of the dvd collection.

I'm currently watching The Sandbaggers, which is probably unknown to anyone not living in the UK at the end of the Seventies. I didn't discover it until much later.

The Sandbaggers was produced by Yorkshire Television and ran for three seasons (for a total of 20 episodes, this is British tv seasons, which are always short).

It depicts the activities and issues faced by the mostly fictional Secret Intelligence Service (unstated, but effectively it's MI6) during the Cold War. Though fictional, it was created and written by Ian Mackintosh. He seemed to be very much in-the-know, to the point that one episode was cancelled due to being too accurate about then-current events. Mackintosh himself disappeared (somewhat mysteriously) in '79.

It's very much in the Ipcress File and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy territory of spycraft. And feels more realistic than either of them. Much of what goes on concerns political one-upmanship between SIS, the MoD and the government. The lead character, Burnside, has a better relationship with the CIA.

Speaking of Burnside, he's the real reason the show works. He's a Magnificent Bastard. Juggling the well-being of his department, ever-shifting political allegiences and the safety of his operatives (the titular Sandbaggers), he's both easy to root for and despise. He does deplorable things, sometimes not even for the greater good, but because it furthers his immediate needs.

The Sandbaggers is one of those shows that deserves so much more attention than it gets. But it's steadfast in it's refusal to be exciting and glamorous. When action does take place, it's brief and sudden and usually means a nasty death, possibly for one of the main cast.

The episodes can be seen (in poor quality, sadly) on Youtube. I'm currently enjoying a rewatch of the dvd collection.

The Sandbaggers is well remembered by fans of spy films and tv.

It is also available on Britbox via Amazon Prime.

I don't like the Ricky Gervais style of embarrassment comedy, and Steve Carrel seems to be the US version of this. And still I worked my way through 'Space Force', all 17 episodes. John Malkovitch was the highlight of the series.

Last week I watched 'Army of Thieves', because I'm a sucker for heist movies. It wasn't bad but a bit cliché.
Then, for completeness, I also watched 'Army of the Dead'. It wasn't a 'good' movie but I enjoyed it despite all the over the top cgi cartoon violence. Also I'm a bit burned out on zombie stuff after gobling up that stuff for almost a quarter century.

And yesterday I watched GoG Vol. 3 in the theatre. Mid tier MCU stuff, but I enjoyed it, not as much as the D&D movie, but a LOT more then Strange 2, Wakanda 4evar and Thor 4. (I skipped AntMan3)

Today I started 'Russian Doll' on Netflix, even though I still have a couple of episodes of 'Florida Man' in my queue.

Next up would be, for movies, 'The Starling' or 'The Cloverfield Paradox' or '8 Mile' or 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs',
and for series, 'Godless' or 'Ludik' or 'Marseille' or 'Grond',
whichever you recommend.

Edit: and a last minute invite got me back in the theatre today for Renfield. Cage and Hoult are good, Akwafina was less anoying then in the other movies I seen her in. The film itself is like John Wick action mixed with Sam Raimi levels of gore; the story is ... campy I guess? It was also good to see Fuck Tony from 'Space Force' get what General Naird probably dreamed of every day.

Last edited:
Caught up on the 2 most recent episodes of East New York, then started playing catch up on The Equalizer. I was six episodes behind, but now have 2 left.

Finished watching Assassination Classroom earlier in the week. Was very good. Yet another entry in the long list of media in which a Very Special Teacher manages to take a classroom full of misfits and losers and turns their lives and grades around for the better. In this specific case, the Very Special Teacher is an alien tentacle monster who teaches his students Valuable Life Lessons and helps them become academic achievers by the expedient of teaching them assassination techniques so that they can kill him before he blows up the Earth a year from now.

The show is 85% light-hearted comedy, 10% fighty-action, and 5% tear-jerking drama. I give it 5 stars. Would watch again.

So I watched The Mother, a new film on Netflix that came out yesterday. What's interesting is it stars Jennifer Lopez, following in the footsteps of Liam Neeson and Gerard Butler in transitioning into action/drama films in their middle ages. It's better than the action-comedy she did for Prime Video (Shotgun Wedding), and she looks somewhat credible with her grungy, tomboyish look. The pot is standard (she was pregnant, almost died, gives up daughter, goes into hiding, then comes out of hiding when said daughter is kidnapped by the people who almost killed her at the start of the film). I wouldn't claim it's top tier action fodder, but it actually wasn't a time waster. The daughter was annoying though, for obvious reasons.

Before that, I had started You People. It has a great cast, but the movie just kind of turned me off. Eddie Murphy actually plays the straight man to Jonah Hill's lovable putz who wants to marry his daughter, which just seems weird to me. Always serious, talking with this monotone voice, it just feels like someone else should have played the role imho.

So I watched The Mother, a new film on Netflix that came out yesterday.
I had to turn this off. The action scenes were terrible. By no means did I have high expectations, but ugh.

I had to turn this off. The action scenes were terrible. By no means did I have high expectations, but ugh.
I've seen better, but I've seen far worse.

Anyway, finished catching up on The Equalizer, then watched Air. Interesting dramatization of how Nike convinced Michael Jordan to take an endorsement deal with them.

Taking a break at season 4 of the expanse and watching Tulsa king. Pretty solid stuff.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 was good, long but good. It was also pretty dark, darker than 2 I thought, but it ends in a good place to leave the franchise. That said this series is kind of like John Wick where I doubt I’d ever purposely rewatch any but the first film.
I went yesterday because my mom is a big GotG fan and so we went for mother's day. Man, there are some very very brutal moments. Also High Evolutionary is probably the most hateable villain in all of the MCU.

I really enjoyed it a lot.

Also I kind of knew before going in they were going to do Rocket's background and that that was going to be rough, but even knowing it was coming that shit hit hard.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back