What do people think of Middara: Unintentional Malum?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

FeralToaster

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Okay so Middara: Unintentional Malum - The Complete Trilogy Kickstarter was quite the hot topic with my game group over the weekend but we couldn't decide if we should pledge or not. We still haven't come to a determination days later and now I'm asking the RPG PUB about their thoughts on this kickstarter.

Middara: Unintentional Malum - The Complete Trilogy looks like a super cool dungeon crawler with a anime aesthetic, this is a plus for my group. It boasts of having a strong JRPG Tactics approach to character customization and combat also a plus. Heavy narrative campaigns over three acts with choices that matter is a plus, if done right.

On the negative end it mixes minis with standees, this upsets the sensibilities of my group (we think this is only allowable for home-made games). Some of the Minis are just alright (but some look super cool). It has a high buy-in coupled with the company having some type of delays with the last Middara ks is worrying.

We each asked around and nobody had ever played any games from or even heard of Succubus Publishing. So I now ask if anyone at the PUB has played Middara or even if they have an opinion good, bad, or indifferent on this kickstarter so that a conclusion might be reached. Thanks in advance.

Missed out on this one. KS link?

You give me far too much credit I can barely figure out how spoiler tags work but I'll try. Middara: Unintentional Malum - The Complete Trilogy Kickstarter still has 18 days left to run (plenty of time to mull it over). It currently has $2,093,249 pledged and 9,298 backers so there is a sizable crowd that likes this game. My group is still going back and forth on it.

Here is a KS link.

This is very much not my thing. Big projects like this seem iffy to me as well with the big price tag and many things that can go wrong making me even more skeptical.

Thanks Voros for the link. I've done the big project a time or two before (and so has my game group) but when we do we like to investigate the company a little, y'know a few delays are alright if you actually get the final product in the end and are happy with the level of quality. I was sorta hoping somebody here had some experience Succubus Publishing's past projects, if they were satisfied with the final product.

t's hard to find good anime-style miniatures, which seems odd to me but I guess there hasn't been a big crossover between the hobbies yet. For that reason alone, I was intrigued, but....too many red flags for me.

t's hard to find good anime-style miniatures, which seems odd to me but I guess there hasn't been a big crossover between the hobbies yet.

This is exactly what my game group was talking about. Every other week on Kickstarter has a new project of a mini of an orc with a new funny hat but months go by between minis that have a cool anime aesthetic and/or has a cool orginal concept for a monster. The audience exists for that, this project is proof of that, 44 minis and everything else is a cardboard standee and the project has reached over $2,000,000.

This is exactly what my game group was talking about. Every other week on Kickstarter has a new project of a mini of an orc with a new funny hat but months go by between minis that have a cool anime aesthetic and/or has a cool orginal concept for a monster. The audience exists for that, this project is proof of that, 44 minis and everything else is a cardboard standee and the project has reached over $2,000,000.

At the very least that means it will be pretty easy to pick up individual minis from ebay bitz sellers once the game is out

For me these big mini KS are only worth it if they have a broader, roleplaying use. Not enough of the minis fit the bill in this one. Some sweet sculpts in there though.

Yeah, nothing about the game itself interests me (Except maybe those art books?), but those figures are so good, especially the fairies and kinda-sorta-tieflings.

Eh, it might be a generational or regional thing but "JRPG" and "Tactics" are two keywords that when used in close proximity to each other got the immediate attention of everyone in our group. A LOT of video games were being played when our gamer palettes were being formed. That said the sculpt of the "dragon mermaid" is such a cool weird looking monster that it would be the perfect centerpiece for a game session, could be DnD, Exalted, a Dreamlands campaign of Call Of Cthulhu, either of the Changeling games(the list goes on for a bit..) but we would make it work.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back