What do you like that 'everyone' hates?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Sure, and I vaguely recall some people having a conversation about the guns they owned in the Community forum once. That's specific, and that's fine. It's just once you get onto the conversation of what various groups think of guns, then you are getting into political territory, and that is going to get messy.

Heh that's why I deleted the original post. I figured it might get... awkward.

I like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It feels like many folks think its too dark and I agree its a notch or two darker than the rest of the franchise generally but some the genre all of the films pay homage too could skew dark, even to mild horror. But Temple of Doom had its fun elements and, IMO, one of the best "Villain dies due to long fall" moments. :smile:

I love Temple of Doom. C'mon Mola Ram is awesome!

Speaking of Savage Worlds... I like that rule set a lot, but never grooved on the cards for initiative.

But if people enjoy it then that's cool.

Temple of Doom was my favorite Raiders movie. :smile:

Speaking of Savage Worlds... I like that rule set a lot, but never grooved on the cards for initiative.

But if people enjoy it then that's cool.

The thing that sold it to me was simply getting fast at dealing cards out. Initiative goes really fast now. And the Edges that modify Initiative are very good.

I like considering story games like Fiasco to be role-playing games. Doesn't seem to be an issue here, but people on certain other parts of the interwebs get bent way out of shape over it.

The thing that sold it to me was simply getting fast at dealing cards out. Initiative goes really fast now. And the Edges that modify Initiative are very good.

Yeah, it definitely works well when the whole group is up for it at a face-to-face game.

But I found it much harder to implement online. Now, it's just rolling your agility stat (and adding or subtracting modes/edges). :smile:

Yeah, it definitely works well when the whole group is up for it at a face-to-face game.

But I found it much harder to implement online. Now, it's just rolling your agility stat (and adding or subtracting modes/edges). :smile:
That is *exactly* my experience too.

Since films are allowed - Three Musketeers...yes even the one with the airships AND the 1993 Disney version...
I’ll just leave quietly...

If you mean the one with Milla Jovovich, it's a actually a fun, little steampunk movie brought down by a truly attrocious Orlando Bloom. Every scene he's in is death.

I do not enjoy Savage Worlds. Card initiative is confusing to me because I can't remember in which order the suits take their turn. I would need a pack of cards numbered 1-52. I also dislike step-dice mechanics and multiple dice exploding at the same time.

I'm fine playing in a Savage Worlds game if the GM keeps track of everything for me.

Another guilty pleasure... After E-Rocker talking about spaceships. I loved Farscape!
What's so bad about that? Farscape was amazing. Especially late season 1 through season 3.

Anyway, while we're on films, I really like Iron Man 2, Third the Dark World and Ant-Ant-Man.

Three Musketeers with airships actually sounds like something I'm going to have to find and watch.

I wanted to like it...

Anyways, I did like the Disney one. Oliver Platt’s Porthos is gold.

Anyway, while we're on films, I really like Iron Man 2, Third the Dark World and Ant-Ant-Man.

I liked almost every Marvel film. Some were "better" than others, but it wasn't until this last little while I was actually disappointed by any of them, I found almost all of them thoroughly entertaining.

What's so bad about that? Farscape was amazing. Especially late season 1 through season 3.

Ant-Man is really good. So was Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Forget Ant-Man, forget the Wasp, I'm curious about this Ant-Ant-Man character, who I assume is an ant who has the powers of Ant-Man.
flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

Games:
  • Palladium, rules as written, especially before Rifts. Not as bad as it’s often made out to be, except for the skill system.
  • OSR D&D clones. All of them. Yes, I know it’s just someone’s D&D house rules. I don’t care. I might not love each and every one of them but I love the idea. You have a clone, I’ll look into it.
  • Random character generation. I know it’s popular here but even with my real life group 3d6 in order is Worse Than Hitler. (Luckily we’re all OK with 4d6-drop-lowest and arrange to taste.)

Movies & TV
  • The Tim Burton Batman movies.
  • Dick Tracy (the one with Warren Beatty)
  • The Shadow (the one with Alec Baldwin)
  • The Matrix movies, all three of them (looks like it’s hip to disavow them now, because politics or something)
  • Thor (the first one)
  • Green Lantern (the one with Ryan Reynolds)
  • The Robocop remake
  • Ben Affleck as Batman
  • Star Trek Discovery, when it gets its head out of its ass for long enough to take an interesting premise and run with it.

Food
  • Pineapple on pizza (and barbecue. Try my pineapple chutney with pork ribs or pork shoulder roast)
  • Sweet, malty beers
  • Very fruity, “Parkerized” bold red wines
  • Peaty scotch

I’ll add in others as I think of them.

Last edited:
Ben Affleck as Batman is honestly one of the things that worked in DCEU, he's really good in the part... not a fan of the writing of the movies though.

I liked Decipher’s Lord of the Rings game but it sure as hell could have had better editing and another edition.

I liked Decipher’s Lord of the Rings game but it sure as hell could have had better editing and another edition.
I liked their iteration of Star Trek. Ran it for a group for about 6 months. I had the Coda Lord of the Rings but never could convince my group to give it a try. They weren't all that interested in fantasy at the time.

I prefer the first Evil Dead, nothing will match the shock and hilarity of discovering that film on VHS in the mid 80s.
When I was in high school my friends and I were lucky enough to have an independent video rental place near the school. The owner was super cheap so he never had any new releases but instead had all sorts of weird and wild cheapies on his shelves. The mind boggles. This was a place where you could discover Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Black Belt Jones, Velvet Smooth, TNT Jackson, Warriors of the Apocalypse, Death Dimension, Starcrash, Warriors of the Wasteland, Black Shampoo, Invaders of the Lost Gold, Death Race 2000, Hot Potato, you name it. Lots of Italian sci fi movies and European Emmanuelle-type nudityfests, too.
WARRIORS-OF-THE-APOVALYPSEvhs-wastelandfront-597x1024.jpgMV5BNmE0ZGFhNDItNDE5YS00ZDIzLWI0YTEtNjRjODg3MTBkOTA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpgMV5BYzY4YWRmMzAtZjRkMC00NjNlLTgzMGQtZGViM2ZmZTY0MTNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpgdeath-dimension-movie-poster-1978-1010466141.jpg220px-Hot_Potato_Poster.jpgdeath-race-2000-poster.jpgstarcrashposter-riff.jpg

Perils of Gwendolyn and the land of the Yik Yak

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back