What do you like that 'everyone' hates?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Nexus

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
At least on the internet. Could be anything: books, playstyles, settings, etc. that you enjoy but think are generally unpopular among gamers overall. (as the other thread was more focused on Player Options).

Drow (black skinned red/white eyes and all. I even liked Drizzt, I admit it. The novels varied in quality)

Book of Erotic Fantasy

Using romance and sexuality in games.

Exalted: The Lunars 1st edition

Exalted Manual of Power: The Infernals (the background and "fluff" information, my eyes glazed over the powers)

(Tentative list, possibly more to come)

What are your guilty pleasures?

Hmm, I'm not sure I know of anything "everyone hates", but I like lots of things that foster very divided opinions (people seem to either love or hate intensely). I'm sure I'm not aware of most of them honestly, as I tend to ignore fan communities and I don't, by nature. evaluate my enjoyment of something based on any sort of majority consensus

In regards to RPGs I've seen some fair amount of shade cast on Changeling: The Dreaming 1e, Nobilis 1e, Shadowrun 2e, The Streetfighter RPG, Theatrix, The Window. Not a big list, but I just haven't perceived a vast amount of hate towards a lot of games I really like, in some cases maybe because they are incredibly obscure (Dallas) or so old that I got into them before the internet was a thing.

It's easier for me to come up with a list of TV and films I know inspire very diverse opinions, maybe because opinions on these things are more prevalent instead of relegated to niche hobby forums: Elfen Leid, Fight Club, Prometheus, Watchmen, etc.

However, when it comes to the specific term "Guilty Pleasure", I associate that with stuff you know is "bad" in some way, but still find personal enjoyment in it. I don't feel any guilt or shame about liking anything (especially not any of the stuff previously mentioned), but there are many things I acknowledge that fail in certain traditional metrics, but succeed for me personally in ways that are not universal or are somewhat hard to define (usually resorting to terms like "charm" or "creativity"). I can't honestly think of any RPG products that fit this description, but tons of B-movies and cartoons.

Role playing game books without art.

While I like strong design, layout and good art, there is something about classic Traveller's art-free books I love.

No art is better than bad art, and so many role playing game books are chock full of bad art.

Exclusively playing Sabbat characters (in VtM).

Playing 'not-so-nice' characters in other games as well (but not always of course!).

Liking the 13th warrior movie which everyone seems to detest.

Fudging die rolls to save characters at times (I always get a lot of flak from other GMs for that one).

Preferring the d100 OpenQuest (latest deluxe edition) to Mythras and all other d100 games.

Lots of TV shows that I know are not all that good but I enjoy watching anyway.
Lucifer (definitely guilty pleasure).

It seems like the members of the Pub have a lot of different gaming styles, expectations, game theory, and variety of games represented. I don't think I've seen one game universally hated (maybe some game designers LOL), so I agree that here there really isn't a lot of hated games that if I liked I would feel like it was a guilty pleasure.

That being said, in my gaming community PbtA and Rifts are both looked down upon and I am a fan of both. The gaming climate where I live is basically anything that is not D&D 5E is pretty well passed over. That's not the RPG Pub, though.

TV Shows though, I don't get why no one is into What we do in the Shadows! That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, but people around me are like, "I don't get it."

Liking the 13th warrior movie which everyone seems to detest.

I thought that was a fine movie. What made the book so enjoyable was completely untranslatable to film, but just as a medieval action story with nods to Beowulf, I thought it succeeded completely at what it set out to do.

This many years later I remember my favourite joke from that movie clearly: The Big Burly viking hands The Moor a broadsword, and he says "this sword is too heavy too me", and theViking chuckles and says "grow stronger". That's a good line. A classic line.

Role playing game books without art.

While I like strong design, layout and good art, there is something about classic Traveller's art-free books I love.

No art is better than bad art, and so many role playing game books are chock full of bad art.

I'm with you on that one... If art detracts from the text then it has no real purpose in being there. And it just takes away from the game in my opinion. In the same way, that good art adds to the game.

TV Shows though, I don't get why no one is into What we do in the Shadows! That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, but people around me are like, "I don't get it."

One of my favourite films of all time, but haven't gotten the chance to see the show yet.

I'm with you on that one... If art detracts from the text then it has no real purpose in being there. And it just takes away from the game in my opinion. In the same way, that good art adds to the game.

Precisely so.

I don't know if you could release a beautifully minimalist game book like Traveller these days without it being mocked. But I would rather see books with less art/no art than art that detracts from the game.

Perhaps this is why I like Palladium's line art as much as I do.

One of my favourite films of all time, but haven't gotten the chance to see the show yet.
Both Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement who made the movie are heavily involved in the TV Show. Man. . .The Vampire Council in the Trial episode. That still gets me. I had to watch it twice back to back.

I think Star Wars Revised (2002, Wizards of the Coast) is a competently made system that is enjoyable if you like the d20 crunch.

Q: What do you like that "everyone" hates?

A: I don't know. Disco? The Bee Gees? Xanadu? Erik Estrada? How do you all feel about malt vinegar on your fries? Maybe Palladium Books and Fantasy Games Unlimited. Mainly my experience is not things others hate, but rather things they don't know about or haven't tried.

I'm meh on the system itself, but I did really like the setting.

The system needed a clean up, but it was serviceable. That might sound like a low bar, but there are a number of RPGs with great settings that are ruined by bad systems.

Yeah it wasn't a bad system, it was just not great either.

Also, I liked 13th Warrior. It wasn't like, amazing but it was enjoyable.

John Carter movie
I liked it as well.

Can't really think of anything. Does everyone hate 90s version of BRP systems? Call of Cthulhu 5th edition, Elric! How about warm, fuzzy feelings about RuneQuest 3rd edition?

Mongoose Traveller.

Steampulp.

Two of the only topics on the Pub that I got a lot of push back on. Mongoose Traveller as a discussion point nearly got the place burned down.

Keeping my political/religious opinions to my self
Enjoying both the old and the new
Being mistaken about something and learning from that mistake
Being blissfully ignorant of all the Internet drama
Naval Sirens
Star Wars The Last Jedi
Pretty much all the Star Wars Movies (Even the dreaded "Holiday Special" has that cool cartoon with Boba Fett in it)
Also Disco
Also The 13th Warrior (Previously Eaters of the Dead)
Also John Carter

I enjoyed the pilot for the Star Wars TV series back in 1978 even though it was critically panned. People seemed to expect the same quality of special effects as they saw in the motion picture despite there being only a fraction of the budget. I thought they were at least as good as Battlestar Galactica's special effects. Leif Garrett was a bit weak as Luke Skywalker, but Erik Estrada made a great Han Solo and Kristy McNichol was charming as Princess Leia. 16 magazine published a couple of promo shots taken on the set.
20190515_184500.jpg
20190515_185104.jpg

so..Phoenix Command?

Actually never got there. At the time I was more into simpler systems, then something snapped in my brain and I went the other way.

Runequest 3, Traveller The New Era, GURPS 4e, Rolemaster The Standard System, Spacemaster Privateers, Traveller 5

Iron Age comics style superhero gaming, violence and everything.

Love point based/stat array character gen, especially in D&D, which is not just hated, it's a CRIME. Apparently.

I like Drow, as a concept. (I dislike The Drizzle because he's way too emo for what he was. The love of an ENTIRE city. But a dual wielding badass Drow ranger? Hell yes.)

Probably lot's more.

Precisely so.

I don't know if you could release a beautifully minimalist game book like Traveller these days without it being mocked. But I would rather see books with less art/no art than art that detracts from the game.

Perhaps this is why I like Palladium's line art as much as I do.

Kult released a 'Bible' edition of the new rules with no art.

I dig PbtA, experimental and 'storygames' that tend to get guff in certain circles online.

I love older D&D rule sets like B/X but find myself defending 5e D&D from what seem predetermined and sometimes ignorant dismissals. Guess you can also add 5e VtM as well for the same reasons.

I like Dragonlance, Spelljammer and 2e D&D which are fashionable to dump on.

I'm a huge fan of trash and B-films, old Hollywood films, musicals amd melodramas and foreign or 'arthouse' films, all often dismissed as either garbage, 'dated' or pretentious (probably the most misued term these days, next to political cant).

I love free jazz, noise, noise rock, early death, black and doom metal. 'It's weird noise not music' is usually a recommendation to me. But I also love soul, hip-hop, blues, country, ska/rocksteady/reggae, disco and electronica, genres that tend to be stereotyped in a variety of ways.

I think Star Wars Revised (2002, Wizards of the Coast) is a competently made system that is enjoyable if you like the d20 crunch.

I got the crippleware preview boxed set when it came out, primarily because of the gorgeous Adam Hughes art. Never got the chance to play, but I liked what they did with it. They were in a rough spot, the first follow-up to WEG's long and highly influential run with the IP. I don't think there was any way they could have appealed to everyone -especially in this hobby, where we have people who hate games they've never held in their hands, let alone played, "on principal", and I think there were a lot of sore feelings about WEG losing the license.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back