What games are you planning/hoping to play in 2020?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'll be continuing to play in a 5e game and would like to run WFRP 4 or Symbaroum. Have interest from players for both but will have to pick one and stick with that for a while.

all of this looks excellent. I am a little biased towards The Ascension over The Awakening, but a Mage game is a Mage game. You should be on the tourist board for enticing people to come that way.

Thanks for the kind words.Our tastes in gaming do line up.

Regarding Awakening, I too rejected it at first, but reading Dave Brookshaw’s Broken Diamond RPGnet AP really made the game click, and then reading some supplements (Intruders, Astral Realms, Summoners, Seers of the Throne) really stoked my love of the setting. Nowadays I prefer it to Ascension (mind-blowing as it was to me as a teen).

Thanks for the kind words.Our tastes in gaming do line up.

Regarding Awakening, I too rejected it at first, but reading Dave Brookshaw’s Broken Diamond RPGnet AP really made the game click, and then reading some supplements (Intruders, Astral Realms, Summoners, Seers of the Throne) really stoked my love of the setting. Nowadays I prefer it to Ascension (mind-blowing as it was to me as a teen).
Did the magic system change? The Ascension's is probably my favorite magic system.

I've never played GURPs. I'd like to try the 3rd edition of that

I'd like to get a game of Talislanta Savage Lands in

I'd like to play in the world of Justifiers but maybe not with the system.

Any game with real live people (even online) on a regular basis.

Hoping to run some more BoL for my friend and members of his group. Might also want to run something else using Everywhen (the generic version of BoL). Maybe run some Lucha Libre Hero. If it comes out next year, I want to give the OSR'ish For Coin & Blood a try, as I might to incorporate some of the entries from the Petty Gods OSR supplement. I'm debating about setting it in Vornheim; I have the pdf, but never really looked through it.

Also hope to run more Supers! Red, and might try and run Zaibatsu, a Cepheus Engine offshoot cyberpunk game. Mostly looking to try and run games I've never run before (which is a lot) from my collection. If I end up getting it soon, I want to give the new version of Paleomythic a spin

Forgot to mention, would like to run my friends through OSE as well.

Damn, I've yet to try out Mythras, but that's a freaking great cover! I might need to check these books out.

even if you are not a fan of fairly crunchy d100 systems, Mythic Rome, Britain, and Constantinople are excellent historical-style supplements. The writing and editing is generally top notch, and the authors of these strive for historicity and merging it with a supernatural flavor.

I'm really looking forward to The Design Mechanism's forthcoming Lyonesse standalone game. I might or might not keep the built-in setting, or I might port my existing Dolmenwood/Magic World game over to the system; I like the elegance of Mythras and it sounds like the Magic system might be more to my liking than what I've currently got mashed together.

even if you are not a fan of fairly crunchy d100 systems, Mythic Rome, Britain, and Constantinople are excellent historical-style supplements. The writing and editing is generally top notch, and the authors of these strive for historicity and merging it with a supernatural flavor.
It turns out that I do own the Mythras core book as pdf, and as soon as I opened it I remembered why I never read this thing. That is some tiny freaking font. I'm not that old, but this makes me feel like I need some binocular strength eye goggles. These books really do look like they'd be interesting, but I gotta wait and see about getting hard copies.

It turns out that I do own the Mythras core book as pdf, and as soon as I opened it I remembered why I never read this thing. That is some tiny freaking font. I'm not that old, but this makes me feel like I need some binocular strength eye goggles. These books really do look like they'd be interesting, but I gotta wait and see about getting hard copies.

I think reading it on less than a full sized ipad would be troublesome for me. I bet it looks good in hard cover, but I try to make sure I don't have many. however, I expect I'll pick one up here.

I'll definitely be playing The Fantasy Trip in 2020, because I have a regular game going strong with lots of intended plans on the parts of the players. This campaign makes liberal use of old D+D and OSR maps and modules, so I suppose you could say we'll be playing those as well.

The only other thing I concretely plan to launch in the next few months is a WEG Star Wars campaign. It's such a great game, everyone is into the setting these days, and I haven't played it in a decade or so.

Forgot to mention, would like to run my friends through OSE as well.
Oh yes, I'd like to do this as well. It'd probably end up more like Whitebox than B/X, but I'd still like to use OSE for it.

Currently as a PC:
  • Cyradon (HARP)
Intending to GM one or two of these in 2020::
  • Action Flick (Fate Core) - homebrew, using Shadow Of The Century as a guide, although setting it in modern day
  • Middle Earth Adventures (Fate Core) - homebrew - may resume previous characters with new story arc
  • Masks of Nylarthotep (Call of Cthulhu 7E) - may resume previous stalled campaign
  • RuneQuest: Adventures In Glorantha
Intending to GM one of these down the track:
  • Conan (Modiphius 2D20)
  • D&D ( 5E, 13th Age, or Low Fantasy Gaming)
  • Forbidden Lands
  • Vampire The Masquerade (V5)
  • The Third Imperium (Traveler)
  • Blades In The Dark, or Scum & Villainy (PbtA FitD)
  • Mythras (Mythic Britain, Mythic Babylon)
  • Star Wars (Fate Core homebrew, or WEG version)
  • Dark Classic Fantasy (BRP/MW) - homebrew
  • Talislanta The Savage Land (TSL)

Last edited:
Gonna resume Mothership with The Cabin Kids over the holiday break - always a treat.

Digging out my Boot Hill campaign and character notes for a hybrid Burros and Bandidos solo game using Mythic - thanks, "Me, Myself & Die!"

Developing ¡Viva Gangbusters! a GB cowboys-and-gangsters campaign set in the Southwest during the Roaring Twenties; I'd like to get a face-to-face group together next fall.

I've set up my current Savage Worlds Adventure Edition campaign so that I can run pretty much any type and genre of adventure story that interests me within it, so I'm covered on that front.

As for other rule sets I'd like to try, as GM and/or player: GURPS, The Fantasy Trip, and a bunch of the super-lightweight games like Lasers & Feelings, Crash Pandas, PDQ, etc.

Oh, and I'd like to finish the run through Tower of the Stargazer using my (honestly pretty mediocre) homebrew system that a couple of my players very kindly indulged me with, but I doubt we'll ever get around to that...

Regarding games I'd like to play, but not run, I'm hoping to participate in some more one-shots of Paranoia and Dungeon Crawl Classics, and I plan to continue playing in Beatrix's D&D 5E campaign for as long as it runs, which will probably be years.

thank you kindly! makes me think I should start googling rpg on site:github.com

Any that I'm not running...but outside of PbP and one-shots at conventions, fat chance that's going to happen:shade:!

Right now I'm running Heroes Unlimited. I'm playing D&D5. I expect and hope both to run at least a bit into next year.

As of this particular moment, the games most tickling my interest are:

Chill 1e
DC Heroes 1e
Top Secret SI
Gangbusters 1e
XXVc

So hopefully one or all of those will see some play in the upcoming year.

Maybe this year will finally be the one where I get my ass moving on Hero 5 or FINALLY get to play a Star Trek game.

In terms of planning, I'm definitely going to be running a one-shot/short-campaign of WEG Star Wars 1e in January.
In terms of prospective Rpgs, I'd like to run short campaigns of: Paleomythic, Cepheus Engine using the HOSTILE setting, and either another Delta Green or Cthulhu by Gaslight campaign. Maybe something else sci-fi, like Jovian Chronicles.

In terms of playing... I'll play whatever the guys in the 2 groups I participate in want to run. Which will likely be GURPS and Call of Cthulhu. There have also been hints of trying out the recent version of Alternity.

Unless it's something that has changed, like Mysticism, I use the RQ6 book at the table for that reason, the font in Mythras is too small for my eyes.

Planning
Continuing my RuneQuest 1e Roll20 game
Continuing my OD&D and Classic Traveller play by post games

Would love to run
Cold Iron

More desires
Run a Roll20 OD&D or OSE campaign
Run a Roll20 Classic Traveller campaign
Bump the RQ game to every week

Any of the new stuff will only happen once we feel like we're done with The Fantasy Trip (I'm feeling close to done, but not sure where the other players are).

Forgot to mention, I plan to keep running Savage Worlds one-shots at the library for as long my boss keeps approving it :smile: . Thus far, I've been using Deluxe Explorer's Edition, as that's the one I know inside out and backwards, and has the most material available for it, but I may convert the library game to Adventure Edition as more material for it comes out. The library players don't know the rules anyway, so I doubt it will make much difference to them.

Using a fantasy setting I've been working on, Shadow of the Demon Lord.

After a good while of that, I'm still trying to find a solid system for my urban fantasy setting. Kult did well with it when I ran a demo for my group, but I'm going to infuse a little Urban Shadows and Dungeon World.

I'm hoping to run a Midnight campaign using Mythras, and a Hellfrost campaign next year...

But most likely I'll still be playing our 2e and 5e dnd games this time next year.

My goals for next year...

DEFINTELY running:

Talislanta - 4e/Savage Lands crossover
Cyberpunk Red
Marvel Heroic Roleplay
Savage Worlds - Deadlands/Rippers/Kerberos Club crossover, My Own Unnamed Savage Worlds project for playtest...

that *should* fill up the year.

Barring TPK's and other possibilities - I'm planning on taking a stab at:

Mythras
Savage Worlds: East Texas University
Savage Worlds - Fantasy (probably using an established setting - like Greybox Realms, or my own.)
FFG Star Wars - Imperial Ops, or Sith Campaign.

My gaming goals for 2020?

Planning to play? I've got plans to run Ringworld (using the River of Heaven version of OpenQuest rules) and Supers! Revised. The Zorro The Roleplaying Game should be out January/February 2020 and that will get played soon after. Tiny Supers will also get played at some point during 2020. More Tales From the Loop at some point.

Hoping to play? I've got lots of maps and notes for a Jack Vance: Tschai Planet of Adventure mini-campaign, based mostly on the GURPS setting book and using (once again) the River of Heaven version of OpenQuest rules. A couple other games I own and need to get aroud to playing are FrontierSpace and Mutant Crawl Classics.

I've added Everywhen to the list of games I need to complete my RPG collection, mostly because I have a weakness for more universal RPGs and I've heard good things about the BoL system.

Last edited:
I'll be playing StarCluster 4 and Starfinder next year. I'd like to get a game of FrontierSpace or SWN going, but that's doubtful as it sounds like my upcoming Starfinder game is going to take a lot of my tabletop gaming time up.

I'm hoping to get a campaign going in Unity RPG early next year with a colleague and his spouse. Then continue with Coriolis or Kult with a mate over Skype and hopefully do a one-shoot with Alien RPG (cinematic mode) and then continue with campaign mode. As I am moving next year and work is hectic these plans are probably to optimistic but at least some gaming should happen I hope.

My current group is very "5e or bust", although I did run a one-shot of Beyond the Wall that they enjoyed. I have too many systems that I want to run, but my top three would be:
  1. Band of Blades
  2. Shadow of the Demon Lord
  3. Hot Springs Island, using Old School Essentials w/ Advanced Fantasy or LotFP.

Fuuuuccckkk!!! :ooh:

Is that Tiamat I wonder?
Considering there’s another sea monster head diving in the bottom right and a fin/claw/wing coming in from the left, I think it might be Tiamat, and she’s frickin’ HUGE.

One of my favourite pieces of myth trivia: In the Bible god moves over the "deep" in Genesis when creating the world. "Deep" however is "Tehom" in Hebrew which evolved from the same Proto-Semitic word as the Babylonian "Tiamat". And you see Yahweh fighting "the Serpent/Dragon" preserved in Psalms 89.

So originally Yahweh fought Tiamat (or the Hebrew version of her) like Marduk fought Tiamat. You even get the same wording where Marduk's wind passes over Tiamat to destroy her, as Yahweh's "breath" passes over Tehom in Genesis.

Just a cool parallel if anybody is unfamiliar with it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back