What have you been reading?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Thought I'd read Blood & Chocolate, liked the romance. Got about 30% into it and didn't like some of the background characters and wanted to spoil myself to bad things--spoiled myself on the ending. I literally think no matter how bad the movie is I like the sound of its ending better. I'm just going to stop. I don't stop reading many books but man. Ugh.

Started on this series of Sword & Sorcery short stories featuring a character named Kurval. A little light on action, but it's not bad. On the 4th story right now, with 8 in total
The_Plains_of_Shadow-scaled.jpg
The_Wolf_of_Rajala-scaled.jpg
51+wPkudD8L.jpg
51icNSq7+DL.jpg

Finished The Phantom of the Opera, I liked it. A bit of a disjointed read, but I believe it was originally published as a serial so the occassional choppiness make sense.

Similar to the many films in that the Opera House is as much of a character as the people, but the "phantom" or Opera Ghost or OG (so I guess he is the OG OG :tongue: ) as he is mainly referred to in the story diverges quite a bit from most of the movie adaptations. The Phantom from the book would be solid fodder for the big bad in an RPG.

Knocked out 2 more Kurval stories, and am on the 7th currently:
51XIw1HJwRL.jpg
Kings_Justice_02-scaled.jpg
51gtOyUMezL._SY346_.jpg

Also forgot to mention that I'm also reading The Crimson Clown, which features the first four stories of this pulp character created by Johnston McCulley (creator or Zorro). These stories fell into the public domain this year, and the remaining four will next year.
1668357247310.png

So literature nerds, what're y'all reading lately?

My recent change of job role has suddenly freed up a LOT of free time which I've decided to devote to catching up on my reading list.

First, I tackled Dune. This is a doorstopper of a book. I actually got about halfway through it a year ago, but I only recently finished it. I'm reminded again why I enjoyed the Sci-Fi Channel Miniseries so much in spite of it's tiny production values. The Denis Villeneuve movie was great, I can't wait for Pt 2. The one downside to reading Dune; you'll never be able to unsee how basically every Space Opera ever has homaged (or blatantly ripped off) Frank Herbert's classic.

Next up, Phantom of the Opera. I have always loved the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, but I never got around to reading the book. It's very much a product of its time. Some of the prose can be snicker inducing. I have to remind myself that, in 1909; "gay" meant "happy" and "booby" meant "fool."

Overall, I loved the book. The character of Erik is romantic as hell. A tortured, misunderstood genius who just wants to be loved, but once he realizes that is the one thing he cannot gain by coercion, he recants his evil ways. Out of love for the woman of his dreams.

Corny by our standards, but I still love it.

Last but not least, I've decided read Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. I'm 3/4ths through Elric of Melnibone (Chronologically) the first book. Already I can see the fingerprints of this series all over tabletop gaming. If not for this series, D&D's Alignment Chart would not have a Law-Chaos Axis. Warhammer, Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and Heroquest basically all of British gaming would be totally unrecognizable.

Honestly if not for Moorcock I don't even think DnD would exist. It certainly wouldn't have the Law vs Chaos struggles or multiverse that seem to come from Elric.

Which is why it frustrated and dismayed me when I mentioned reading Elric on my usual Discord and was greeted with "..who?"

Anyway that's my "kids these days" rant for today. What are you reading lately?
PS PLS sticky this thread.

Currently, the only things I am reading are Management Textbooks for my course, when I can.

Last but not least, I've decided read Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. I'm 3/4ths through Elric of Melnibone (Chronologically) the first book. Already I can see the fingerprints of this series all over tabletop gaming. If not for this series, D&D's Alignment Chart would not have a Law-Chaos Axis. Warhammer, Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and Heroquest basically all of British gaming would be totally unrecognizable.

Elric is good, but I preferred Corum. Jerry Cornelius, and its extended family, is better, if only for the psychedelic 60s/70s vibe. The End of Time series is fantastic, and Elric at the End of Time is superb.

I thought we already had a what are you reading thread.

Right now I am re-reading the Screwtape Letters again and Plato's 5 Socratic Dialogues

Finished the final Kurval story. It was an interesting series. Not as much fighting as I'd hoped, and far less magic, but still entertaining.
51TJ2koexqS.jpg

After that, I read this short story called "The Hand" on the train ride home. It starts off from the viewpoint of someone experiencing what appears to be supernatural events, then switches to a series of emails between a CIA agent and a scholar, then goes in a different direction for the final part of the tale.
41qnksto6TL.jpg

I thought we already had a what are you reading thread.

Right now I am re-reading the Screwtape Letters again and Plato's 5 Socratic Dialogues

yeah, we do, I'm going to mash this one into that one

I am drawing close to the last Biggles book. The titular character starts as a fresh-faced (and soon neurotic) RFC pilot in WWI, carries on as a footloose adventurer between the wars, leads a sort of Flying Dirty Dozen squadron in WWII, and ends up (rather sadly) as the Special Air Police after the war. If time flowed normally he and his gang would be in their 50s or 60s by now, but let's not dwell on that.

I last read these as a teenager when they were ripping yarns that had me on the edge of my seat. Now they're just as tense, but in the sense that the protagonists are so overconfident, forgetful, and generally careless that it's a wonder they make it to the end of any book. I want to see a TV adaption, done as a comedy but with all the characters acting completely straight. It could be Blackadder Goes Fourth hilarious. They're also an interesting insight into the end of empire as seen from the English point of view.

Started on the first issue of Dark Horses, a weird fiction magazine. About halfway through it right now:
616o+eM7nRL.jpg

I'm just getting ready to read The Eldritch Review #1, which has a combination of new fiction and some older stories (Issue 1 has The King in Yellow by Chambers, Mask of the Red Death by Poe, and The Haunter of the Dark by Lovecraft) in it.
51yQz2iJGyL.jpg

After I read a couple of stories from that, I plan on diving into the first Thurvok short story:
51qb9Cz3VnL.jpg

I'm working my way through the "Northanger Abbey Horrids" with the plan to read Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey when finished. These "Horrids" are a collection of the stories referenced in her novel.

Just finished Castle of Wolfenbach by Eliza Parsons; there was much swooning, fainting and weeping, and that was just me. :tongue:

It was ok, but a bit silly, and reminds me of a young adult romance novel. There is much misery and villainy but also true love, handsome nobles, and pirates so they cover a lot of ground. As I read more books of the genre and period (this one written in 1793) it does help me to get my mindset into the time and appropriate plots for games set in the period.

I got into my current reading list in support of Ghastly Affair, and now Chaosium has released Regency Cthulhu covering a similar genre but with more tentacles, which is very timely. Honestly I'd be much less interested in that setting for CoC if I wasn't reading these books.

Next up is The Mysteries of Udolpho, by Ann Radcliffe written in 1794.

I finished Thurvok's first tale, but I'm not going to read the rest of them. Like the 3rd Kurval story, it felt incomplete (like it was part of a longer story). The author also pads each one with a long list of all their other works (and descriptions of the rest of the series), so if the book says 40 pages, maybe half is the actual story.

I'm now diving into Carnacki: Heaven & Hell, the first of 4 Carnacki story compilations by William Meikle. I had read one of his Carnacki stories in one of his chapbooks, where Carnacki encountered something out of the Cthulhu Mythos. I've not read the original stories by Hodgson yet, so this is my first exposure to the character. I'll get the originals eventually, but I'm a fan of Meikle, so I'm happy to read his version of the character.

71GMmKqADfL.jpg

I've not read the original stories by Hodgson yet

This reminds me that the Carnacki stories are on my to-read list and have been for years. I'm not sure how I'll go with them- I tried reading Hodgson's The Night Land and it was in the most horrible impenetrable style you can imagine. A shame, because the world-building is brilliant.

This reminds me that the Carnacki stories are on my to-read list and have been for years. I'm not sure how I'll go with them- I tried reading Hodgson's The Night Land and it was in the most horrible impenetrable style you can imagine. A shame, because the world-building is brilliant.
I was reading some site the other day that has a timeline that shows Carnacki exists in the same world that becomes The Night Land. Looked interesting. I've held off reading Hodgson before because I've heard others state he's sometimes hard to get into.

I finished Thurvok's first tale, but I'm not going to read the rest of them. Like the 3rd Kurval story, it felt incomplete (like it was part of a longer story). The author also pads each one with a long list of all their other works (and descriptions of the rest of the series), so if the book says 40 pages, maybe half is the actual story.

I'm now diving into Carnacki: Heaven & Hell, the first of 4 Carnacki story compilations by William Meikle. I had read one of his Carnacki stories in one of his chapbooks, where Carnacki encountered something out of the Cthulhu Mythos. I've not read the original stories by Hodgson yet, so this is my first exposure to the character. I'll get the originals eventually, but I'm a fan of Meikle, so I'm happy to read his version of the character.

71GMmKqADfL.jpg
I've been listening to the original Carnacki books on YouTube. They're pretty awesome. It's kind of like Supernatural but written 100 years before the show.

Reading Ocean at the End of the Lane by Gaiman for Book Club. Have you ever read a book and it seemed like it was about you? I had a hard time getting through the first part because of that... but then I got to the fantastical parts and can now enjoy it.

Update on my Elric Saga reading. I have completed Elric of Melnibone, The Fortress of the Pearl, and Sailor on the Seas of Fate. I just got to The Weird of the White Wolf, the sack of Melnibone and the fate of Cymoril.

It huuuuurts. :,(

I read the Elric stories years ago but towards the end I just felt like I was forcing myself to get through them because I felt they were something that I need to have read at some point. But they just ... aren't any good. In my opinion anyway. I thought they got a bit repetitive, with Elric screaming "ARIOCH!" in an old-man-yells-at-cloud style every second chapter, and a bunch of gratuitous pointless body horror just because. Maybe I'm just missing the point.

I read the Elric stories years ago but towards the end I just felt like I was forcing myself to get through them because I felt they were something that I need to have read at some point. But they just ... aren't any good. In my opinion anyway. I thought they got a bit repetitive, with Elric screaming "ARIOCH!" in an old-man-yells-at-cloud style every second chapter, and a bunch of gratuitous pointless body horror just because. Maybe I'm just missing the point.
Yeah I can see that. The Elric Saga is certainly not for everyone. I personally am enjoying them a lot, but I feel like for most of my peers Elric would come across as an overpowered Gary Stu Edgelord. Partially because he is, but also because of how much Moorcock's work has been imitated in Tabletop Games, Video Games and Comics.

Yeah I can see that. The Elric Saga is certainly not for everyone. I personally am enjoying them a lot, but I feel like for most of my peers Elric would come across as an overpowered Gary Stu Edgelord. Partially because he is, but also because of how much Moorcock's work has been imitated in Tabletop Games, Video Games and Comics.

The issue isn't that Elric is a Gary Stu. I just think the stories are repetitive, facile, and poorly written. Maybe I'm also prejudiced against the Elric saga because I dislike Moorcock's attitude- any fantasy pre-Moorcock needed refuting, and anything post-Moorcock doesn't merit reading. I'm possibly being a bit uncharitable, but I just think that if you're going to crap all over Tolkien you need to do a bit better than ... that.

I think over-powered characters in fantasy can be done well. Take the protagonist (I don't call him the hero because he's a monster) of the Second Apocalypse series- like Elric he is an over-powered Gary Stu who makes ambiguous deals with demons but I loved those books when I read them. Even though the prose gets a bit dense and affected, and the author clearly has some issues (welcome to my cuckold Magical Realm everyone), I think those books will reward a re-read in a way that Elric just won't.

I finished up this Sword & Sorcery fiction zine today. The stories are alt-history (as that is the focus of the publication). Wasn't really into most of the stories, but there is a good one about the Questing Beast from Arthurian folklore, told from the perspective of said Questing Beast:
51DgrR7cn+L.jpg

I'm also 2/3 of the way through this 3 story freebie from Adam Nevill:
41UHUiZauYL._SY346_.jpg

Now I'm re-reading Shards of Honor by Bujold and reading The Forever War by Haldeman. Forgot how amazing Shards of Honor is, especially it being her first book. And The Forever War isn't what I expected.

For me Forever War is the best sf war novel and just one of the best American war novels period.

Now I'm re-reading Shards of Honor by Bujold and reading The Forever War by Haldeman. Forgot how amazing Shards of Honor is, especially it being her first book. And The Forever War isn't what I expected.
I've not read "The Forever War" in decades. I recall really liking it, think the first time I read it was around 1980. Then again about ten years later.

I've not read Vorkosigan Saga, but I keep meaning to. The title of the book you are re-reading makes me think of David Weber's Honor Harrington books.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm also prejudiced against the Elric saga because I dislike Moorcock's attitude- any fantasy pre-Moorcock needed refuting, and anything post-Moorcock doesn't merit reading. I'm possibly being a bit uncharitable, but I just think that if you're going to crap all over Tolkien you need to do a bit better than ... that.
No argument that Moorcock is his own worst enemy. Fans of Moorcock will vociferously dismiss any and all works of fantasy fiction. They will talk at length about the various reasons we haven't and most likely won't ever get a big budget Elric adaption: "it's because Andzrej Sapkowski stole his characters" "It's because GRR Martin stole his worldbuilding" "It's because Games Workshop stole his cosmology." Nah, the reason we're never getting a bug budget Elric streaming show is because Moorcock is such an asshole that nobody can work with him. Just ask Grant Morrison and Mark Millar.

I've never been able to get into Elric either, the entire concept behind it does nothing for me.

I loved the original Elric books (and Corum, Erekose, Hawkmoon, Von Beck and Oswald Bastable). My term paper in high school was comparing how the original saga was similar to a Shakespearean tragedy. On the other hand, when I tried the later Elric stuff, I wasn't impressed. I've read the original ones 4 or 5 times though. Moorcock's demeanor definitely alienates a lot of people, and his work isn't going to appeal to everyone. But for me, when all my friends were ecstatic about Tolkien (which other than the Hobbit, bored me to death), Elric was a breath of fresh air compared to the other fantasy works I had read. Moorcock and Lovecraft I discovered around the same time, and it helped define my tastes in both fantasy and horror fiction

The issue isn't that Elric is a Gary Stu. I just think the stories are repetitive, facile, and poorly written. Maybe I'm also prejudiced against the Elric saga because I dislike Moorcock's attitude- any fantasy pre-Moorcock needed refuting, and anything post-Moorcock doesn't merit reading. I'm possibly being a bit uncharitable, but I just think that if you're going to crap all over Tolkien you need to do a bit better than ... that.

I think over-powered characters in fantasy can be done well. Take the protagonist (I don't call him the hero because he's a monster) of the Second Apocalypse series- like Elric he is an over-powered Gary Stu who makes ambiguous deals with demons but I loved those books when I read them. Even though the prose gets a bit dense and affected, and the author clearly has some issues (welcome to my cuckold Magical Realm everyone), I think those books will reward a re-read in a way that Elric just won't.

In his book Wizardry and Wild Romance Moorcock praises loads of pre and post-Tolkien writers. That book turned me onto a number of classic Arthurian Romances, Leiber, Poul Anderson's masterpiece The Broken Sword, Fletcher and Pratt, John Brunner, the early Robin Hood stories, Hope Mirlees, Peter Dickinson, Susan Cooper and many more.

His ire is mostly just directed to Tolkien and Lewis. I agree with him completely on Lewis' fantasy and find his contrarian take on Tolkien bracing and mostly in agreement with a fair bit of what Leiber had to say about Tolkien. Although Fritz was more diplomatic and so has avoided all the anger directed at Moorcock for going after the old Don.

And Moorcock is excellent on Howard's and Brackett's virtues as writers, he's far from a snob.

I think most of the first rate Moorcock isn't in the Elric books, which he has openly said were mostly potboilers he ground out to help keep New Worlds afloat.

His best fantasy imo is the original Gloriana and his later sf/historical books Mother London, The English Assasin and Jerusalem Commands.

Last edited:
I finished the 3 story collection by Adam Nevill, Meikles 1st Carnacki compilation, and the free S&S zine Whetstone. I decided to go ahead and read the original Hodgson Carnacki stories. I finished the first one, and to be honest, it was so-so. It wasn't horrible, but the original Carnacki seems a bit more of a wuss than the way Meikle portrays him. I'll keep reading them though, as I think one story from the 1st Meikle collection might connect to one of the original tales.
Anyway, I'm 2/3 of the way through this 3 story chapbook by Jeffrey Thomas, which is the 5th in a 7 chapbook series. I had read the previous 4, and enjoyed them.
41f4n2L9tAL.jpg

The first one was weird. It was a Sherlock Holmes story, but one where someone is telling him about events that took place after a case Holmes previously solved involving the narrator of the story. Not typical of other Holmes stories I've read (not that I've read many).

I'm probably also going to read the next Carnacki compilation by Meikle:
51foYgugPyL.jpg

And since I got the bundle with issues 0-7, I figured I'd start reading Tales From The Magician's Skull:
382197.jpg

Finished that Jeffrey Thomas chapbook, and think it was the best of the 7 chapbook series so far. One more to go, but it was really good. The 3 stories are connected, and form one larger story. I'm also currently reading Collwen of Cimmeria, which posits that all the Conan stories were actually about a woman named Collwen. There's two stories in this. It's not bad, but man, it needs a serious editorial pass. Lots of grammatical errors in it. Not typos, but sentences having extra words in them, or obvious mistakes (like using the word "it" instead of "he" or "she"). If it were minor, it wouldn't be so bad. The second story has a lot of these mistakes, which makes it harder for me to enjoy the story. After I finish this, I'll probably read another original Hodsgon Carnacki story, then dive into Meikle's Watchers at the Gate collection.

After almost a year I have finally finished reading William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways. In 1978, after loosing his job and separating from his wife, refits a van and drives around the USA avoiding major highways and fast-food joints. He calls the back roads and rural routes Blue Highways, after them being marked in blue on Rand Mcnally Road maps.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've never been able to read it, for odd personal reasons. I knew (vaguely) somebody who taught at the same school as the author, whose real last-name was Trogden IIRC. Said person saw his pen-name as a somewhat cynical bid to cash in on a connection with Native Americans. There was probably some jealousy involved, too, as Trogden/Least Heat Moon went on to make a lot of money while my acquaintance led a life of genteel poverty.

Today I learned that there's a book titled "The Texas-Israeli War: 1999".
Originally I thought it was going to be some weird overtly racist/anti-semitic fringe piece. Turns out it has a Wikipedia article which lists it as a sci-fi novel from the 70's. It has a suitably 70's plot. WW3 starts because Irish Commandos does the UK's water supply with LSD. The protagonists are Israeli mercenaries who drive around in a Centurion Tank with a nuclear reactor and a "Gatling Laser".
It's on my list to read.

Co-written by Howard Waldrop, a very fine sf writer.

I read this back in the late '70s or early '80s and remember enjoying it; though the only specific thing I can remember from the book is that I learned from it that 'sabra' is a nickname for Israeli women.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back