What IP outside of RPGs do you think would make a good RPG Setting?

GI Joe was my pick. I want it based on the old cartoon show from the 80's. Freedom Squadron is a Savage Worlds homage to the old GI Joe from the 80's.

I think we need a new Stargate RPG and Farscape.

The Fire Emblem tactical RPG series has inspired me to pattern my next (non-Ravenloft) D&D 5e setting after it. I'm especially enamored of the 4th game of the series (back on the SNES) with its carefully limited amount of fantasy tropes and focus on the complexities of feudal warfare, but I also dig the style of the most recent games on the 3DS. Less dungeon crawling and monsters, more families and human-on-human skirmishes.

The deeper issue I'd have with a Culture setting (and in the game) is the fact that humanity and other sub-Mind sentients seem ornamental. Not even pets so much as camouflage, like the lure on an angler fish, that makes the Culture seem palatable to other civilizations.

It's actually pretty creepy sometimes.

Dirty little secret of the Culture setting:

The Minds are terrifying, full stop.

I consider them among the most frightening entities in speculative fiction. The Minds have clearly made a deliberate choice to affect a posture (façade?) of benevolence, and the implication that they could all just as easily wake up one "morning," shrug, and choose to be something very much Not Benevolent is a subtext of which I believe Banks was acutely aware. And that the Culture might be (or, if convenient, become) a duck blind hiding the Minds' long game is, IMO, consciously established in the setting.

On the other hand, at the baseline RPG level of Culture (pan)humans doing adventuring stuff, I don't know that it matters.

A Culture agent in the field undergoes as much physical and emotional trauma as any other adventuring protagonist while typically having carte blanche to engage with a situation as they see fit. Whether any of SpecCirc's work means anything at the macro level or whether it's all just a giant LARP to keep the silly monkeys productively distracted while the Minds go about Immanetizing the Eschaton is an interesting philosophical conundrum that might well merit exploration in a campaign. But it doesn't change the facts on the ground at what would presumably be the PC stratum of involvement.

As far as whether Banks thought drugs-and-circuses subjugation to Those Who Know Best was as good as it gets for humanity, I can't say. But if you read the entirety of Banks' work, including his thrillers, on balance he was a far darker and more mordant writer than is often acknowledged.

Space: Above and Beyond is one I'd love to see given the RPG treatment.
It's not often that I think a TV show ended before it was done, but this would be one of those times. Although the ending that it did have was still good.

I've honestly thought about trying to do X-Com with a variation of 4e D&D (Ultramodern4). Felt like an honestly good fit if you wanted to get a similar feel to missions.

IMO the battlefield would be the least interesting part of an RPG in the X-Com settings; the rabble-rousing, the secret agendas and the backroom politics would be the part I'd want to play.

IMO the battlefield would be the least interesting part of an RPG in the X-Com settings; the rabble-rousing, the secret agendas and the backroom politics would be the part I'd want to play.
Have you tried X-com: Apocalypse? Gameplay-wise it's a mixed bag, but the setting is chockfull of what you're saying here: political intrigue, espionage, faction infiltration, etc.

I dig how Ultima IV handled virtues as a significant thing in the setting that affected gameplay.
No kidding. To this day I have yet to see anything approaching that virtue system and I'm an avid videogamer.

I would say some Troika & Black Isle games make interesting things with their reactiveness that are also impressive, though. See Fallout 2, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment and Vampire Bloodlines for eg.

Have you tried X-com: Apocalypse? Gameplay-wise it's a mixed bag, but the setting is chockfull of what you're saying here: political intrigue, espionage, faction infiltration, etc.

X-Com - ALL OF IT.

Why leave any of it out? amirite?

I would say some Troika & Black Isle games make interesting things with their reactiveness that are also impressive, though. See Fallout 2, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment and Vampire Bloodlines for eg.

Try Alpha Protocol.

I'd say it felt better. In Tyranny, you're explicitly playing a villain's henchman / herald (In D&D terms, you're either Neutral or Evil) and you can do some deeply awful things - not edgelord Stupid Evil, but real psychological horror stuff - and it has a very profound effect on your party members.

Both are brilliant games that really showcase the potential of CRPG's.

X-Com series.
Ultima series.
Dark Souls series.

There was a kickstarter a few years ago that looked so promisingly like an X-Com style RPG, but the company running it took the money and ran.

Just out of curiosity, how would you do a Dark Souls RPG?

What we NEED... is to make this happen in Tristram's PHASERIP

View attachment 5514

You have my attention.

Dynomutt and Blue Falcon would be a lot of fun if done right, say in a Ghostbusters RPG frame of mind.
59293-2898-92288-1-dynomutt.jpg59298-2898-92293-1-dynomutt.jpg59296-2898-92291-1-dynomutt.jpg59294-2898-92289-1-dynomutt.jpg59295-2898-92290-1-dynomutt.jpg59297-2898-92292-1-dynomutt.jpg
And if they want to add in Birdman, Space Ghost, and some other Hanna-Barbera superheroes I won't object.
$(KGrHqRHJCcE63YFIJu2BO0bOM8dRw~~60_3.jpgmoltar01.jpglatest.jpgfa5d0d55bd0f0dde3f4620d4bab85fe0.jpg

There was a kickstarter a few years ago that looked so promisingly like an X-Com style RPG, but the company running it took the money and ran.

Just out of curiosity, how would you do a Dark Souls RPG?

You have my attention.

There is a Mythras version of dark souls on the internet somewhere.

Also meant to include Rebel Galaxy on my list.

Micronauts
Tintin
Tarzan
Captain Future, either the anime or the original stories

Killjoys is good, but the Hullen are a bit rubbish. Season 3 was an improvement over season 2.

The setting is interesting though.

Didn't someone also come up with an OSR Souls-like game? I'm pretty sure I saw one on DTRPG.

I haven't seen it in over 30 years, and only saw a few episodes then, but The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers seems like it could be a good roleplaying game.
MV5BYTA2MzU4ODUtYmEyMC00ODM3LWI1YzgtNGFhZDI1MzBmODIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_-1.jpgcropped-galaxy-1.jpg

A RPG setting based on Joe Abercrombie's First Law world would be brutally awesome.
It has: (a) an interesting (but not overly complex) history/mythology, (b) a range of distinct cultures and politics (with widespread political intrigue and corruption), (c) a cool (and 'dark') magic system, and (d) lots of dangerous border/wild areas (with plenty of potential for treasure-hunting and mercenary action).
Unsurprisingly, I think that Mythras would do a good job with it.

I'd like to see that but I would guess the licencing would be eye-wateringly expensive and not something TDM would do themselves, it would take a wealthy 3rd party fan/developer.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back