What IP outside of RPGs do you think would make a good RPG Setting?

I've played Buckaroo Banzai themed campaigns before, in Adventure!, Aberrant, and Feng Shui. Would love to see a proper RPG, though. That is, a proper published RPG.

I get the impression that Earl Mac Rauch has always wanted to do more with Buckaroo Banzai but the most I've seen was the fan club and some comic books.

Oh, also, Team Banzai was a mercenary company in BattleTech, complete with Perfect Tommy, Blue Blaze Irregulars, and Radar Irregulars. Also, the watermelon.

For whatever reason, many Buckaroo Banzai things are announced by Earl Mac Rauch that go nowhere. The movie sequel, the television series (which has been in development Hell since 1998), the tabletop RPG. It's like the IP is cursed.

Remember those 1998 rumors that included the possibility that Jeffrey Falcon would play Buckaroo Banzai? That would have been just about perfect.

I'll add Thundarr the Barbarian.

I do like Thundarr and I love to see an official Thundarr game done well. There are various unofficial and serials filed off options, but it's not quite the same.

The fundamental question that needs to be answered for a Thundarr-inspired game is how do the heroes know where to go to find wizards up to no good? Are they just riding aimlessly it just happens there are so many darn wizards hatching plots that you can't throw a brick in the air without hitting one? Is there some sort of network that works across the continent that can send out calls for help?

One of the best theories I've heard that Ariel sorcery grants her premonitions or some ability to scry, but that is never shown and in any event would suggest an Thundarr party needs a sorcery if they don't want to wander blindly. I know, I'm overthinking but there things you can gloss over in a TV show that come back to bite you in interactive game.

The alternative approach for a Thundarr game is to just take the setting and then let regular, "murder-hobo" adventures loose in it. I'm not sure that really captures the spirit of the show and setting on it's own, without the superheroes vs wizards premise, is a rather thin on world building.

I distinctly recall a RPG being announced in 2011, with pre-orders available. I am sure that it will be out any day now. /s
Yeah, I preordered it...I had to harass Mr. Adamant a few times to get my money back after it became clear there was no game. My theory is he never had the rights in the first place, solicited preorders for a nonexistent game, then maybe tried to use the interest to see about getting the rights. He kept claiming--for years--that the only thing pending was approval by the licensor. Whatever. Maybe someday someone more professional will acquire the rights and then take a stab at it.

I do like Thundarr and I love to see an official Thundarr game done well. There are various unofficial and serials filed off options, but it's not quite the same.

Yeah, the series comes off as a far-too-convenient hex crawl. I'd make it as a world-generating game because not every place is called out exactly in Earth terms IIRC. You know, fill in the hexes between Washington D.C. and San Diego or something. Leave it thin so folks can put their post-apocalyptic hometowns in it.

System-wise I'd probably be looking at something like AFF2e or similar.

Yeah, the series comes off as a far-too-convenient hex crawl. I'd make it as a world-generating game because not every place is called out exactly in Earth terms IIRC. You know, fill in the hexes between Washington D.C. and San Diego or something. Leave it thin so folks can put their post-apocalyptic hometowns in it.

System-wise I'd probably be looking at something like AFF2e or similar.
AFF2e?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2e.

It's a relatively minimalist 2d6-based fantasy system, based on the system from the Fighting Fantasy gamebook series - characters have three stats (Skill determines your general levell of capability, Stamina is your health, and Luck is just generally being lucky), some special skills in areas of expertise for them, a minor feat, and maybe spells if they're a magic-user. It's skill-based rather than class-based, the core mechanics are very light, and it generally plays pretty fast.

Well worth a look, if you're in the market for a fantasy game.

Resident Evil
Grand Theft Auto
Army Men
Final Fantasy (particularly I, VII, and XV)
The Sopranos
Naruto
Ghost In The Shell
Digimon Adventure
Westworld
The Elder Scrolls

I'd like to see a proper spy game based on the thrillers of Eric Ambler and John Le Carre. Also an RPG based on police procedurals and/or Scandinavian thrillers.

There is at least one RPG based on police procedurals, but it's about dealing with superpowered criminals.

There is at least one RPG based on police procedurals, but it's about dealing with superpowered criminals.

Yeah that may be the one I checked out, once I saw the superhero angle I was bummed out. I get the idea of adding a twist to a standard set-up but the problem in a lot of RPGs is we don't have enough realist games to set the variations against.

Yeah that may be the one I checked out, once I saw the superhero angle I was bummed out. I get the idea of adding a twist to a standard set-up but the problem in a lot of RPGs is we don't have enough realist games to set the variations against.

And unlike some other games with "twists" you can't even divorce the game from that genre assumption and have it remain usable. You can play Shadowrun without magic and elves, but you can't play Mutant City Blues without ripping out a good chunk of core mechanics and replacing them...at which point just write a new game.

Also an RPG based on police procedurals and/or Scandinavian thrillers.
You'd have to learn Swedish/Danish law yourself if you want to set it in Scandinavia, but these work well:
51A7XwbiCtL._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg51+S+rMdaPL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg81Tof8hqbDL.jpg
You could probably just use GURPS but I like Crime Fighter and just use the GURPS stuff as sourcebooks and idea generators . And if you want to focus on murder mysteries:
cover_lg.jpg91MkU05WxFL.jpg
Speaking of IPs that would make a fun game, I still dream of running a Charlie's Angels-style game someday using Crime Fighter.
charlies-angels-reboot-maxw-654.jpg

I know TFG's Crime Fighter predates police procedural dramas, but does GURPS Cops actually approach the kind of stuff seen in CSI?

I know TFG's Crime Fighter predates police procedural dramas, but does GURPS Cops actually approach the kind of stuff seen in CSI?
I've never seen CSI, so I'm not sure what kind of stuff they do on it. I assume you mean forensics, in which case the answer is yes, GURPS Cops has it covered. Crime Fighter isn't so focused on the guys 'n' gals in lab coats. But police procedurals have been around since the dawn of television: Adam-12, Columbo, Dragnet, Hawaii Five-0, Hill Street Blues, Kojak, Police Story, Police Woman, The Streets of San Francisco, The Untouchables, to list just a few. The GURPS book is good for recreating crime scene investigation and forensics. Here is a glimpse:
20181119_102059.jpg20181119_102109.jpg20181119_102120.jpg20181119_102131.jpg

You'd have to learn Swedish/Danish law yourself if you want to set it in Scandinavia, but these work well:
You could probably just use GURPS but I like Crime Fighter and just use the GURPS stuff as sourcebooks and idea generators . And if you want to focus on murder mysteries:
Speaking of IPs that would make a fun game, I still dream of running a Charlie's Angels-style game someday using Crime Fighter.

I’ve got GURPS COPS and it is excellent but I don’t dig GURPS mechanics. Didn’t realize Lisa Steele did a Mysteries book as well and it looks like it takes a hardboiled noir approach too. Will see if it is up on Drivethru.

Wish I could find the Allston Crimefighter game, what are the mechanics like?

I’ve got GURPS COPS and it is excellent but I don’t dig GURPS mechanics. Didn’t realize Lisa Steele did a Mysteries book as well and it looks like it takes a hardboiled noir approach too. Will see if it is up on Drivethru.

Wish I could find the Allston Crimefighter game, what are the mechanics like?
I'm at Legoland right now but I think it's essentially Hero System using 2d6 instead of 3d6. I'll check the boxed set against my memory later.

Can't believe I fogot to mention T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, a cross between James Bond and superhero comics conceived and illustrated by the incomparable Wally Wood. Since all the agents rely on a gadget to empower them (belt, cloak, helmet, etc.), PCs could be created to handle new inventions if the players don't want to be Dynamo, NoMan, Menthor, Raven, or Lightning.
7053498.jpgThunder_Agents_06-1-Im0.jpgec4cc9eea9d4479c4d7c68df455db24f--iron-maiden-magazine-art.jpgnoman.jpg1405673-dynamo.jpgmenthor.jpgad_noman2b.jpgThunder_Agents_19-00fc.jpgThunder_Agents_20_00.jpgDynamo-v1-02-pg00fc.jpg

You could even use the Liefeld revival in the 90s for inspiration...

a6734f64acf25db79e1b23ec0c855fd9.jpg

tee-hee.gif

G-Force is the name of the team in Battle of the Planets. It's legit.

Next time I run Marvel - I'm going to create a reason for the PC's to go to Japan. And they're going to team up with G-Force, Kikaider and the rest of the Tokusatsu heroes/villains. Toss in some Kaiju etc.

Hey, what’s not to love about this buff Captain America that Rob did?

13120C6A-B223-4BA5-A60F-3AF4E0B88423.jpeg

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back