What is the most superficial reason you have rejected a RPG for?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Long skill lists put me off, especially if they are full of really narrow skills.

I also have been put off by having a Dodge skill given equal standing to studying Archeology, say. One of these requires years of disciplined, hard academic study to master, the other one is simply an instinctual reaction. I won’t say which is which.
Hold on guys! My archeology sense is tingling! There must be a cultural artifact nearby!

Christ, half the names I've used have been entirely made up, and I have never encountered someone arrogant enough to tell me I didn't know how to spell my own fucking name.
In addition to the usual trouble with our surname, my sister has to contend with people who insist on spelling her name "Elizabeth" instead of "Elisabeth". A couple of years ago she had a run-in with her bank, who had her name wrong on her account and were making the tax office grumbly. The bank person had the actual brass front to insist that Elisabeth "must have" spelled her own name wrongly on the paperwork.

I get called Eric all the time, when it's spelled Erik. Even when I sign an email with "Erik" they reply with "hello Eric" or "thanks Eric"...
Write in runes.

BTW: AITA for using names like “Geoffrey Dalziel, of the Worcestershire Dalziels” in Space 1889 just to watch the natives make a hash of it?

My cousin is called Amhlaoibh and lives in Mexico. He just says he's "Al".
So how would one go and pronounce that? Same for your name, by the way.

In Mexico there's also people named Erick, initially confusing the matter even more for my Mexican family-in-law and our friends there, but they learned pretty quickly how to properly spell my name.

On here, I normally just address people by their screen name.

Cheers,
MRI<

Last edited:
Yeah, me too. I'd rather have no art at all as well.

My two main bugbears about art are:
The really shit '3d art' done in cheap programs like Poser. It's atrocious and makes the game look so cheap (imo).

And developers who use the same stock art images over and over. Never ever do this, no matter how nice the art is. It sucks all the personality out of your game.
I had a buddy make a game that used Poser art. I tried to convince him not to :grin:

So how would one go and pronounce that?
Ow-leave. "Ow" as in "Ow! That hurt!". "Leave" as in "I will leave this place". It's the Gaelic for Olaf.

Same for your name, by the way.
She-a-nuh. It's Gaelic for "Sydney". You carve his face into turnips on Halloween, which is where the modern pumpkin carving comes from. Séadna himself is just an Irish reworking and combining of the Wandering Jew and Faust myths common across early continental Europe.

Ow-leave. "Ow" as in "Ow! That hurt!". "Leave" as in "I will leave this place". It's the Gaelic for Olaf.

She-a-nuh. It's Gaelic for "Sydney". You carve his face into turnips on Halloween, which is where the modern pumpkin carving comes from. Séadna himself is just an Irish reworking and combining of the Wandering Jew and Faust myths common across early continental Europe.
Gaelic spelling is really weird compared to what we're used to, but it ain't got nuthin' on the Welsh!

I get called Eric all the time, when it's spelled Erik. Even when I sign an email with "Erik" they reply with "hello Eric" or "thanks Eric"...
Sadly, this could be the effect of auto-correct in their email systems.

I could never take this CP2020 solo supplement seriously because of the cover art. And now it haunts me as a reoccurring item in DriveThru's Personalized Selection.
View attachment 31289
"FREEZE, go-gangers! For it is I, Cincinnati Kyle, and I am extremely wired!!"
And yet, that's one of the best gear books in the 2020 line.

After witnessing a bunch of joyless bastards suck all the fun out of Tolkien, with their never-ending wankery on magic in that other thread, I've decided that I want to cancel my One Ring Kickstarter pledge. FFS.
Never ending wankery is why I avoid Tolkien about Lord of the Rings.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back