What is the most superficial reason you have rejected a RPG for?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think the 2nd and 3rd editions, which used different mechanics, also had more conventional looking sheets.
Inthink 2E was what I was exposed to.

I have that game and yes it's very pretty and has a complex system. That said, I think it suffered from translation issues. The game was made by two colombians neither of which was very good at english, if I remember correctly. That character sheet is only for one of the playable races, I think there are two more races, also with their own equally complex character sheets.

... the game is so complex that each race needs its own tailored character sheet? Fuck that. Fuck that with a splintered pool cue.

LMAO so f*kken ugly

And that isn't even the worst part. Do we dare ask what an "anti-rape penguin" is, to the degree that needs to be noted on the character sheet?? Anyway, that's just soaked enough in glaringly bad art and incomprehensible jargon that I'd almost think you were trolling us if I didn't know differently.

I legitimately hate 90% of character sheets in existence and unfortunately end up redoing them in indesign every time >_>
Mine end up being plain text files with copious amounts of white space laid out with vim scripts. A nice side effect of that is that is they work great with git. So character sheets have revision control.

Mine end up being plain text files with copious amounts of white space laid out with vim scripts. A nice side effect of that is that is they work great with git. So character sheets have revision control.
You're my spiritual brother, at least as far as character sheets are concerned.

As the system just came up and thus I remembered: Naming a country "Eisen".

... the game is so complex that each race needs its own tailored character sheet? Fuck that. Fuck that with a splintered pool cue.

The game is heavily inspired by WoD games, it uses a dicepool system just as WoD but with D20's instead of D10's for example. So think if you had the 2nd editions of Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Mage: The Ascension all in the same book.
A lot of stuff is repeated on each character sheet, for example the appearance and emotional trackers.

Gringnr Gringnr I thought, I was the only one knowing/having Immortal: The Invisible War. Talk about a game with to many made up words, for almost everything.

Gringnr Gringnr I thought, I was the only one knowing/having Immortal: The Invisible War. Talk about a game with to many made up words, for almost everything.

I ran a whole campaign of it, and if you could get around the pretension, the need to reinvent the wheel terminologically speaking was probably the single biggest problem with the game (though there were a couple others).

I ran a whole campaign of it, and if you could get around the pretension, the need to reinvent the wheel terminologically speaking was probably the single biggest problem with the game (though there were a couple others).

There wa as game that came out of Scotland that was a little steampunky and had some really cool ideas but they insisted on renaming things like swords. Not the type of score, the actual word for sword. It was just confusing.

Meanwhile I was falling in love with Skyrealms of Jorune that had hundreds of new word; but for new things. I still am enthralled by the idea of finding a large cache of boc-rods, still enthused by the chance to talk to a Shantha, really wanted to fight a Dhar Corondon.

Now I'm wondering if I should write a conversion for Skyrealms. I miss it so much.

There wa as game that came out of Scotland that was a little steampunky and had some really cool ideas but they insisted on renaming things like swords. Not the type of score, the actual word for sword. It was just confusing.

Meanwhile I was falling in love with Skyrealms of Jorune that had hundreds of new word; but for new things. I still am enthralled by the idea of finding a large cache of boc-rods, still enthused by the chance to talk to a Shantha, really wanted to fight a Dhar Corondon.

Now I'm wondering if I should write a conversion for Skyrealms. I miss it so much.
What Jorune really needs, I think, is 1) a new system and 2) being published in two different books, one with the new words being left as in the current edition, and the other with the words being replaced by easy-to-understand terms, but with a glossary at the end.
"Jorune: Deep Dive Edition" and "Jorune: Muggles Edition", pick your poison:shade:!

What Jorune really needs, I think, is 1) a new system and 2) being published in two different books, one with the new words being left as in the current edition, and the other with the words being replaced by easy-to-understand terms, but with a glossary at the end.
"Jorune: Deep Dive Edition" and "Jorune: Muggles Edition", pick your poison:shade:!
Well, this is my point. Most of the words in Jorune are new words for new things (though 'shast' as a replacement for innkeeper is pointless).

The systems have been a mess, this is true. It could really do with a simplification. A modernisation.

Well, this is my point. Most of the words in Jorune are new words for new things (though 'shast' as a replacement for innkeeper is pointless).

The systems have been a mess, this is true. It could really do with a simplification. A modernisation.
Loremaster is still clearer than the Jorune equivalent, though:thumbsup:.
Also, I'd settle for something that's not so much a modernisation as streamlining. How about Jorune: Legends (d100) edition, or something of the sort:grin:?

Loremaster is still clearer than the Jorune equivalent, though:thumbsup:.
Also, I'd settle for something that's not so much a modernisation as streamlining. How about Jorune: Legends (d100) edition, or something of the sort:grin:?
Reading through 3rd Ed, it seems they still overthought it.

I mean, in a lot of games, the abstraction of one stat (Agility, Reflexes, Dexterity) suffices. In Jorune they had 3. I figure these days we have come to terms with the coarse modelling that games force to use with the implicit realisation that if we try to accurately model things, the character sheet starts to look worse than that green monstrosity above.

Tales of Gargentihr, that was. A real shame that it seemed to have been met with near-total indifference and disappeared, I thought it had some neat ideas.

I particularly hate filling in this character sheet each year.

hmrc-detachment-of-earnings-orders-self-assessment.jpg

Reading through 3rd Ed, it seems they still overthought it.

I mean, in a lot of games, the abstraction of one stat (Agility, Reflexes, Dexterity) suffices. In Jorune they had 3. I figure these days we have come to terms with the coarse modelling that games force to use with the implicit realisation that if we try to accurately model things, the character sheet starts to look worse than that green monstrosity above.
I disagree, and I'm fine with more than one coordination stat.
And there is, I believe, a market for games that are more detailed than Cepheus Engine...which is also proven by the success of games like the current market leaders - D&D, Pathfinder, WH40k, take your pick. All of them are crunchy:shade:.
No, I still believe it was the presentation that really hurt Jorune:thumbsup:.

Tales of Gargentihr, that was. A real shame that it seemed to have been met with near-total indifference and disappeared, I thought it had some neat ideas.
That's it. I really liked the longcoats with their hand cannons

And there is, I believe, a market for games that are more detailed than Cepheus Engine...which is also proven by the success of games like the current market leaders - D&D, Pathfinder, WH40k, take your pick. All of them are crunchy:shade:.
Jorune was more detailed and had plenty of crunch in the combat system. The modern games are less detailed IMO. D&D5e for instance still only has one DEX stat. Not much different to CEPHEUS.

Of course there's a market for it; I'm not part of that market - but there is a market for it.

IMO, specialized attributes are superfluous and don't necessarily provide good emulation unless they actually do something significant mechanically that truly warrants splitting them up. Even to the degree that it might be argued that some of these districtions do exist in real life, I don't believe that they're significant enough to really need a completely separate attribute for every minute trait that can be argued to exist, specially if it's something that might not even come up that often during play, or is overly specific (like plain old Perception rolls). That sort of thing is better represented in the form of specializations, "Feats" or some type of advantage that grants an extra bonus in specific circumstances, or even Skills sometimes.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back