What is the most superficial reason you have rejected a RPG for?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That doesn't strike me as a superficial reason at all. You even went out of your way to actually buy and read the game.

I also bought and read Savage Worlds and only rejected it after playing it once. but it was never due to any of the kind of shortcomings you mention for Exodus.

i feel like, given all that was released for the game, giving up on all of it fir the lightning aspect is pretty superficial of me. There’s, IIRC, 15 other adventures and two or three sourcebooks, and I just lost all interest in them due to magic lightning.

What do y’all mean when you say “poser” art? Is that when someone copies someone else’s style?

What do y’all mean when you say “poser” art? Is that when someone copies someone else’s style?

It's a specific art program that provides customizeable framework models and stock background elements. Think of it like a CGI paper doll book.

I don't remember the name of the game, but a friend showed me the character sheet and there was an attribute called "Hench", which apparently was an abstract value of your hirelings/retainers/henchmen. The abstraction of that would be my non-superficial reason for rejecting the game, but naming the attribute "Hench" is my superficial reason. What a stupid name.

It's a specific art program that provides customizeable framework models and stock background elements. Think of it like a CGI paper doll book.

It's kind of reminescent of The Sims, first edition. :grin:

tumblr_m2l7i6Mf6x1qgdhi6o1_500.gif

Wow! I am behind the times! Interesting!

I once rejected buying Mummy: The Resurrection because of this full page picture found on p18:

mummy.jpg

I think it was meant to look like an ancient undead Egyptian noble rising from his ancient magical slumber....but it always looked to me like George Michael being interrupted on the toilet.

The irony is that, even though I rejected buying the book originally, I just downloaded the file on drivethrurpg now in order to show you guys. :thumbsup:

I don't have enough of an rpg-buying habit to be rejecting rpgs for superficial reasons, but if I did, it would probably be color scheme. Lime green and pink, for instance, do not belong together.

Your link does not live up to the hype. :grin:

I don't even agree, I think pink and green are horrible, but I thought it was hilarious that article existed
I thought it sucked because it went directly to the queen, who, in my opinion, can wear whatever the fuck she wants at this point. Lets make fun pf people who need making fun of...

The fact that the article exists at all can be put down to internets. There's always some asshole trying to get paid for some shit.

I think that wins this thread.
The funny part is the first Kickstarter I backed included having a character named after you, and the author wrote me with concerns that my name was “too ethnic.”

This is even more hilarious if you know I’ve had about a dozen ethnicities attributed to my last name, with several instances of people refusing to believe me when I told them they were wrong.

The funny part is the first Kickstarter I backed included having a character named after you, and the author wrote me with concerns that my name was “too ethnic.”

This is even more hilarious if you know I’ve had about a dozen ethnicities attributed to my last name, with several instances of people refusing to believe me when I told them they were wrong.

That's messed up. You'd think that in the current political climate people would be thrilled to have "ethnic" sounding names included in their backer's list. But apparently you can't win either way.

I don't have enough of an rpg-buying habit to be rejecting rpgs for superficial reasons, but if I did, it would probably be color scheme. Lime green and pink, for instance, do not belong together.

I don't even agree, I think pink and green are horrible, but I thought it was hilarious that article existed

1621263943947.png

I don't remember the name of the game, but a friend showed me the character sheet and there was an attribute called "Hench", which apparently was an abstract value of your hirelings/retainers/henchmen. The abstraction of that would be my non-superficial reason for rejecting the game, but naming the attribute "Hench" is my superficial reason. What a stupid name.

Being from Northern England, if I saw "Hench" as an attribute, I would naturally assume it was a combination of size and strength. I'd be very disappointed when I found out otherwise.

Not a full-on rejection but when I was first looking at Unknown Armies I was put off by the faction composed of fast food workers, Mak Attax.
It crossed over my delineation line from 'weird' to 'silly'.
It feels petty to me because it's something I could easily have just ignored, but it stuck in my brain and fouled my initial take on the game.

Not a full-on rejection but when I was first looking at Unknown Armies I was put off by the faction composed of fast food workers, Mak Attax.
It crossed over my delineation line from 'weird' to 'silly'.
It feels petty to me because it's something I could easily have just ignored, but it stuck in my brain and fouled my initial take on the game.
I was pretty much the same. I tend to ignore most of the factions in UA. In fact, I have tried making up other factions largely based on groups taken from Guy Ritchie movies, come to think of it.

I once rejected buying Mummy: The Resurrection because of this full page picture found on p18:

View attachment 30933

I think it was meant to look like an ancient undead Egyptian noble rising from his ancient magical slumber....but it always looked to me like George Michael being interrupted on the toilet.

The irony is that, even though I rejected buying the book originally, I just downloaded the file on drivethrurpg now in order to show you guys. :thumbsup:
I can't believe an editor actually signed that off... They should fire themselves.

Well, one of Arjun's many names is Partha. As in Ral Partha.

Which one/edition?
Art is pretty subjective, but a few people complained about the style of the latest box edition. Personally, I think the art direction and design are fabulous, but the rules are occasionally a bit eccentric. Overall, I like it though, as long as they maintain the availability of the previous editions in PDF and hopefully POD at some time.

I’ve had about a dozen ethnicities attributed to my last name, with several instances of people refusing to believe me when I told them they were wrong.
I have the same trouble with my accent. As for my name, people refuse to believe that it’s a name at all, right up to telling me what mistake they think I made spelling it.

Christ, half the names I've used have been entirely made up, and I have never encountered someone arrogant enough to tell me I didn't know how to spell my own fucking name.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back