What is 'YOUR' favourite iteration of the D100 system and why?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
When I was a young lad and role-played more often I strangely don't recall ever seeing Call of Cthulhu or RuneQuest out in the wild (Brick & Mortar stores). I've always checked up on it over the decades, I even own a few versions of some of the books, namely 'Legend' by Mongoose and the newest iteration of Call of Cthulhu but I never really took the plunge and got into it.

So now looked at it again I see there are a TON of iterations of the rules engine by Chaosium and many others, as well as Fan/OGL versions to boot. So I'm curious as to which version of the game is your favourite and I'd like to know why that version over other versions as I value the opinions of the assembled sages of RPGHUB.

P.S.
Not looking to start an edition war or any of that, just looking for informed/learned opinions on the game engine, how well it handles multiple genres and what are the strengths and weaknesses of the system and yer fave iteration of it.

P.P.S.
By 'D100' I meant BRP games but I'm as interested in other peeps D100 non BRP games as well.

Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
Superworld! Because I like superhero games and the use of % and whole numbers rather than 3d6 rolls and fractions make it like Champions without the unnecessary complexity. It also has you keep track of a character's energy, which I like because it emulates comic book superheroes like the Human Torch, Iceman, Spider-Man, Invisible Girl, Scarlet Witch, and Iron Man, who used to run out of steam if they went all-out without a break. It's clearly and succinctly written. I also love the covers of the three booklets and boxed set.
superworldboxset.jpg

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Basic Roleplaying big gold book. It's amazingly dense and full of everything good. I do wish a little bit more of Future World's technology, personal fusion reactor packs and force shields had made it in but it's got the Worlds of Wonder Magic World magic system in it and it's easily my favorite BRP magic system.

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
Superworld! Because I like superhero games and the use of % and whole numbers rather than 3d6 rolls and fractions make it like Champions without the unnecessary complexity. It also has you keep track of a character's energy, which I like because it emulates comic book superheroes like the Human Torch, Iceman, Spider-Man, Invisible Girl, Scarlet Witch, and Iron Man, who used to run out of steam if they went all-out without a break. It's clearly and succinctly written. I also love the covers of the three booklets and boxed set.

I do loves me a SuperHero Game (HERO being my personal fav). Is it available in PDF anywhere or is it off to ebay for most of these old D100 systems?

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
The Basic Roleplaying big gold book. It's amazingly dense and full of everything good. I do wish a little bit more of Future World's technology, personal fusion reactor packs and force shields had made it in but it's got the Worlds of Wonder Magic World magic system in it and it's easily my favorite BRP magic system.

Could you tell me more about Worlds of Wonder, Magic Word, and Future World?

Also how comprehensive is the 'Big Gold Book'?

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
My first encounter with BRP was Call of Cthulhu and it is still my favourite for its simplicity.

If Pendragon can be considered d100 without technically being d100 that has my favourite combat system.

I also dig the original Stormbringer.

ffilz

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The original, 1st edition RuneQuest (1978), because... I seem to be one of the few holdouts for the original. I have modernized mine a bit with bits from RQ2 and even RQ3, and heck, I'll probably manage to steal something from RQG.

We rolled up characters for Ring World but never ran it (I have an ancient dude with lots of skills at 800%...). I do have RQ2 and RQ3 (though it wasn't until 2005 that I got RQ2). I also ran a few sessions of Elfquest. I purchased but never played Call of Cthulhu so eventually sold that. I also have Stormbringer 4th and 5th.

I also have this obscure book, The Adventurer's Handbook by Bob Albrecht and Greg Stafford that presents basically BRP in a step by step learning process. It doesn't actually claim to be BRP, but... Then there's Castle Paths, Adventure Paths, and Village Paths by Board-Craft Simulations that include the original BRP pamphlet and a BRP scenario that uses the tiles and counters.

But, yea, for me, it's RuneQuest 1st edition.

And by the way, I don't consider just any game that uses percentile dice against percentile skills a derivative system, in fact games were using D100 before RQ but Legends, Mythras, and big gold BRP are all clearly derivative systems as are things like Open Quest.

Frank

Trippy

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I would agree that Superworld makes more logical sense, to me, than the Champions rules. Too bad they went out of print, while my understanding is that there may be a new Worlds of Wonder group of games coming from Chaosium for the old HeroQuest (now Questworld) ruleset.

I like certain aspects of Mythras, and also Delta Green, which have both splintered off from BRP at various points. M-Space is also an excellent set of rules for space stories. I do also like the original ‘Classic’ RuneQuest rules, which have certain nuances or quirks that have been lost over time in later rulesets but add additional degrees of personalized depth to the system design for the setting. I also like the old Stormbringer rules for sheer simplicity. I also played a lot of WFRP over time, which was clearly influenced by RuneQuest, although it is quite different in other respects.

So, in short....not sure.

Arcane_Avatar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Currently my favourite is Mythras or Mythras Imperative but I have a fondness for the BGB as I ran a campaign of John Ossoway's Cthulhu Rising which used that. The other iteration I used a fair bit was MRQ II/Legend.

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
And by the way, I don't consider just any game that uses percentile dice against percentile skills a derivative system, in fact games were using D100 before RQ but Legends, Mythras, and big gold BRP are all clearly derivative systems as are things like Open Quest.

Frank

I've read a little bit about OpenQuest, and I see there is a 3rd Edition Kickstarter active at the moment. What does OpenQuest do that the Big Gold Book doesn't?

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
When I was a young lad and role-played more often I strangely don't recall ever seeing Call of Cthulhu or RuneQuest out in the wild (Brick & Mortar stores). I've always checked up on it over the decades, I even own a few versions of some of the books, namely 'Legend' by Mongoose and the newest iteration of Call of Cthulhu but I never really took the plunge and got into it.

So now looked at it again I see there are a TON of iterations of the rules engine by Chaosium and many others, as well as Fan/OGL versions to boot. So I'm curious as to which version of the game is your favourite and I'd like to know why that version over other versions as I value the opinions of the assembled sages of RPGHUB.

P.S.
Not looking to start an edition war or any of that, just looking for informed/learned opinions on the game engine, how well it handles multiple genres and what are the strengths and weaknesses of the system and yer fave iteration of it.
I like Mythras/Runequest 6/Mongoose's Legend, followed by Delta Green 2e/Open Chthulhu, Maelstrom (Rome/Gothic) and Unknown Armies 2e/Eclipse Phase 1e, then probably CoC7/CoC1-6 and Warhammer 1/2/4*, roughly in that order. But frankly, I'd play pretty much any d100 game, so I might not be the best example:shade:!

*Warhammer 3 isn't a d100 game so its relative merits aren't subject of the thread.

Mankcam

Coiner of Thread-Falls, & Inadvert Founder of Swo'
Reaction score
Okay, too tired to really get into this at present.
But when I have time to articulate things I'll jump into this thread more, as this is basically a conversation with my name on it :grin:
But until then, here's my answer

In terms of game mechanics, the MG D100 SRD derivatives, OpenQuest and Mythras, work best for me, depending on what complexity I want:
1600939448134.png 1600939464474.png

But in terms of mixing mechanics with setting, then Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest definately take pride of place:
1600939290041.png 1600940368843.png

1600940508602.png 1600940534858.png

Having said that, the BRP collated rules (known as 'the 'Big Golden Book') has been perhaps the most useful book I have, and one that I couldn't do without:
1600940170689.png 1600940226324.png
Ok I will elaborate more on my reasonings and such once I get time later tonight :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1600939205510.png
    1600939205510.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1600939311872.png
    1600939311872.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Could you tell me more about Worlds of Wonder, Magic Word, and Future World?

Also how comprehensive is the 'Big Gold Book'?
Okay, so in the box there's a little overview leaflet which details the town of "Wonder" which has three streets, Magic Street, Super Street, and Future Street where you can buy appropriate gear for each world. Yes, you can buy full sets of powers and spandex suits on Super Street. It's a pretty cheesy bit. Anyhow, there's the standard Basic Roleplaying booklet at maybe 8 -12 pages with a monochrome cover.

Magic World gives you a simple class based character creation set-up with Warriors, Wizards, and Thieves getting various skills at 5 x STAT. The magic system gives wizards spells as skills, allows them to keep INT spell levels in their heads and most of the spells are scalable and cost LEVEL POW to cast. Wizards can rearrange the spells in their head using their spell book. The monster section is short and monsters are given incomplete stat blocks. There's a one or two page adventure at the back of the booklet.

Super World gives a brief overview of a world with superheroes resulting from Earth passing into a cosmic energy field. Superpowers are bought with points but the number of points is determined by totaling your attribute rolls which explains the varying power levels on super teams. There's nothing fancy here, but it's clean and functional. Stats for modern guns and SIZ ratings for vehicles are provided. There's a very short adventure detailing a villain or two at the end of the book.

Future World details a setting where gates can be opened between worlds making space ships and warp drives obsolete. The elite gate keeping corps ICE protect the gates and send exploration parties through to strange new worlds. A handful of anthropomorphic alien races are described in better detail than the Monsters in Magic World. But personally the real gem is the weapons and power supply set up where personal fusion backpacks power force fields and energy weapons. The force fields are a good answer to the super lethality of the weapons and the power setup resembles the scheme in Star Frontiers with its various peripheral jacks. A small list of exploration vehicles is given.

One thing I'll add, the monochromatic covers on the booklets are ugly as sin. Like High Fantasy if it was monochromatic ugly as sin. Overall I'd have traded those covers for four more pages of material, it would have made a much more functional game.

Ragr

Legendary Member
Reaction score
For me it's the 7th Edition Call Of Cthulhu ruleset, mainly because it pretty much hits my complexity sweet spot right on the nose; neither too much simulation nor overabundance or reliance on handwavium. The previous edition, which was probably my most played, sometimes left me feeling that I had to make up too much stuff and there always seemed to be a little uncertainty at the table when it came to hitting upon rulings and negotiating them with players to everyone's satisfaction.

I like the way in 7th that combat is still deadly and best avoided without need for long lists of options and outcomes; the Fighting Back and Dodging rules have clear risk/benefit choice points and the use of bonus/penalty dice simplifies advantages in combat. The Skill rules for Extreme/Hard/Normal successes and opposed checks are just cleanliness itself. Pushes are just fantastic opportunities to up the ante and the Luck rules are there if that's the flavour of HPL I want to go for at the time. In fact, the only thing I don't like are the Chase rules but, to be fair, I don't really like chase rules in games at all.

BGB, DG and OQ get nods of solid appreciation as well.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I dig Stormbringer (1st or 2nd ed... what balance?) and Delta Green.

NinjaWeasel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been a big fan of D100 systems ever since I read GW's Judge Dredd RPG. Then, not long after, I discovered TMNT and Paranoia 1st Edition. That was back in 87, maybe 88. Percentile skills just clicked with me in a way that D&D's rules never did. It was those three games that really got me into gaming (Fighting Fantasy was the gateway though).

I always had an interest in Call of Cthulhu and, to a much lesser extent, RuneQuest. However, although I often saw supplements, I rarely saw the core rule books in the wild. A friend picked up RuneQuest and WFRP 1st Edition once, at a GW store in the late 80s, and I used to read them at his house. I liked a lot of what I saw. Many years passed but I would eventually start picking up BRP, and BRP derivative, books where I could. I've owned a lot and recently sold off some of them too as I'd accumulated far too many that were of no use!

So, what's my favourite iteration? Delta Green 2nd Edition. It's just the right level of crunch and simplicity to me. It is also highly compatible with material from the classic BRP family and the newer Legend/Mythras line.

Others I'm particularly fond of include the BGB (essential book really), Aquelarre, and CoC (5th and 7th). I like Mythras (RuneQuest 6 as it is in my copy) to read but the game is too crunchy, and combat too detailed, for me. Brilliant bit of game design though.

Games that are not BRP, but are D100-based, that I like include Unknown Armies (mostly 2nd), Covert Ops, Art of Wuxia, FrontierSpace, Maelstrom, MERP, and Other Worlds. I always wanted to get into Rolemaster but I could never find the core books and it's probably a good thing too. It's just too much for me.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it it's a ruleset that's just had so many good games made for it that it's very hard to pick.

In terms of the rules themselves I'd say Mythras and Delta Green 2E.

Mythras has the most well done crunchy combat system I've ever seen and for me personally how the various subsystems work somehow follows from the main rules in such a clean and obvious manner that I find it easy to remember them and make rulings despite its complexity on paper. For Delta Green it's what NinjaWeasel NinjaWeasel said. It's very simple to pick up and run while still being a little granular.

However this rules-only approach wouldn't really capture my views correctly, since the other games are so evocative with such detailed settings. Just look at Runequest Glorantha's recent "The Pegasus Plateau & Other Stories", CoC 7E's "Berlin - The Wicked City" and simply Pendragon and Aquelarre in themselves. The art, the ideas, the originality of the settings, etc. Also the games are so similar that they blend into each other. In reality we just play BRP scaled up or down in complexity with rules taken from here and there across the family.

ffilz

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I would agree that Superworld makes more logical sense, to me, than the Champions rules. Too bad they went out of print, while my understanding is that there may be a new Worlds of Wonder group of games coming from Chaosium for the old HeroQuest (now Questworld) ruleset.

I like certain aspects of Mythras, and also Delta Green, which have both splintered off from BRP at various points. M-Space is also an excellent set of rules for space stories. I do also like the original ‘Classic’ RuneQuest rules, which have certain nuances or quirks that have been lost over time in later rulesets but add additional degrees of personalized depth to the system design for the setting. I also like the old Stormbringer rules for sheer simplicity. I also played a lot of WFRP over time, which was clearly influenced by RuneQuest, although it is quite different in other respects.

So, in short....not sure.
I'm curious what nuances and quirks of the original rules you feel have been lost? Other than a brief fling with Call of Cthulhu and the other 80s BRP systems, and looking over RQ3, I haven't really looked at any of the later BRP games at all. There are quirks of RQ1 which are part of why I don't even move to RQ2, but I'm curious what other bits have been lost.

ffilz

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've read a little bit about OpenQuest, and I see there is a 3rd Edition Kickstarter active at the moment. What does OpenQuest do that the Big Gold Book doesn't?
All I know about it is its existence and that it uses the OGL, which allows much more freedom in what you can do with it than any of the licenses that Chaosium offer.

Spartan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Fun thread.

I do enjoy BRP as a whole, regardless of iteration, and have played a fair bit of it over the years, but never any one game for very long except CoC (1e and 7e). My current favourite BRP incarnation is Magic World, which has been unfortunately discontinued as a line by Chaosium. In spite of some typos, it runs very well and smoothly. Age of Shadow is really cool too, nice and simple. If we expand beyond the BRP ambit then my favourite would be HârnMaster, which retains the level of detail found in RuneQuest while smoothing out the rough edges. You could easily run a RQ game using HM if you wanted to. Another one is the old DragonQuest by SPI, a masterpiece of early game design with a really evocative (if flawed) magic system. Going further afield, we have Rolemaster, a d100 roll high system which I love dearly.

Raleel

The Lemon LeCroix of Mythras
Reaction score
Clearly Mythras is my favorite for a large number of reasons, but I think it finds the right balance of crunch and not.

For non-Mythras, I like OpenQuest a bit, as it is in the same line, but the simpler version. I also like Revolution d100 - it influence how I think about professional skills in Mythras a lot, and I respect what it is trying to do a lot.

I'm not all that attached to Glorantha, but I have enjoyed RQ2 in the past. I think now I would just do Mythras.

I have the BGB, and I have used it for some things. I think it could really benefit from another edition. It has all sorts of little bits in there to pull out. I found a nice little check list in the back recently that I wish i had seen far earlier.

Trippy

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what nuances and quirks of the original rules you feel have been lost? Other than a brief fling with Call of Cthulhu and the other 80s BRP systems, and looking over RQ3, I haven't really looked at any of the later BRP games at all. There are quirks of RQ1 which are part of why I don't even move to RQ2, but I'm curious what other bits have been lost.
Well, I don't have my copy at hand currently, as I'm just about to start work, so I'll check back later on some of these points from memory.

One of the things I noted in the original game was how character skill levels were really low for character generation unless you essentially mortgaged yourself to a Guild or Cult. It was similar to Traveller in the sense that you would start off in debt to a particular group and, as such, were obligated to go on adventures for them. Some groups would find that horrible, but it has charm to me.

There is also the development of Characteristics which is less abstracted in as much as you can train to raise them, but the interaction/limitations around STR, SIZ and CON in particular are more nuanced to me. I also like the fact that they are all still uniformly generated on 3D6 in a way (rather than 2D6+6 for SIZ and INT as in later editions).

In combat, each weapon has both an Attack and Parry score - which makes Shields more relevant than the current edition. Magic has just two options - Battle and Rune, which is more focused on the notion of Rune Questing to me. In my view, Sorcery feels more like it should be a NPC power in current
editions.

Moreover, I just love the efficacy of the original edition which is so much more concisely written (the entire core rules are less than 150 pages, and are complete in and of itself) and more adaptable than other games of its era, as well as games released these days which seem verbose by comparison.

Last edited:

Simlasa

Legendary Member
Reaction score
BRP/D100 is my favorite system, but I've got no single favorite game under that umbrella... it just depends. If I could have only one it would be the Big Gold Book, because it would let me do the widest variety of settings.

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
Others I'm particularly fond of include the BGB (essential book really), Aquelarre, and CoC (5th and 7th). I like Mythras (RuneQuest 6 as it is in my copy) to read but the game is too crunchy, and combat too detailed, for me. Brilliant bit of game design though.

Is Aquelarre BRP/D100 based? I own the damn book but as so many of my books have yet to give it a detailed read through.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
I like Mythras (RuneQuest 6 as it is in my copy) to read but the game is too crunchy, and combat too detailed, for me. Brilliant bit of game design though.

I definitely would have thought so too until I played it; now it's the crunchiest system that I'd happily play.

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If we are talking D100 based systems in general - James Bond 007. The difficulty chart is way snazzy.

If we are talking BRP derivatives - probably Stormbringer. Though it's a few generations old and probably way more variable and out there than lots of newer versions of the game, it handled the setting with aplomb and resulted in some zany games.

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
Are there any recent Sci-Fi implementations of BRP?

I see allot of Fantasy Material and even Modern but other than Ringworld I don't see any other Sci-Fi settings, granted I haven't done an exhaustive search either.

I've found a '2300AD', 'Star Wars' and 'Fallout' fanbooks but not much else.

EDIT
Missed this on the Chaosium site my first time around. 'Fractured Hopes' which looks more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction.

Last edited:

Trippy

Legendary Member
Reaction score

I see allot of Fantasy Material and even Modern but other than Ringworld I don't see any other Sci-Fi settings, granted I haven't done an exhaustive search either.

I've found a '2300AD', 'Star Wars' and 'Fallout' fanbooks but not much else.

EDIT
Missed this on the Chaosium site my first time around.'Fractured Hopes' which looks more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction.
M-Space.

Arcane_Avatar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Is Aquelarre BRP/D100 based? I own the damn book but as so many of my books have yet to give it a detailed read through.
Yes, Aquelarre is based on BRP with the addition of a mechanism denoting how religious you are. It goes down for doing magic and up for being godly and the two sides always add to 200 IIRC but I'm currently running something else and find that details slip out of my mind when not focused on a specific game (getting old on top of suffering issues post-Covid).

NinjaWeasel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yes, Aquelarre is based on BRP with the addition of a mechanism denoting how religious you are.
Yep, this. A few of the character stats are named differently but the standard BRP equivalent stat is obvious and translates directly. Throwing creatures from Malleus Monstrorum into Aquelarre is easy.

I definitely would have thought so too until I played it; now it's the crunchiest system that I'd happily play.

It's several years since I read the core book but my overall impression was that the combat ran in a fairly clear and intuitive fashion but was just too tactical. I'm not a fan of detailed, tactical combat. I like combats to be over in a few minutes. It wouldn't stop me from playing the game but I don't think I would want to run it.

There's the aforementioned M-Space and Luther Arkwright too. They're both for Mythras. Although it's no longer in print, and definitely not recent, there was a game called Worlds Beyond that used a "BRP with the serial numbers filed off" system. It feels a bit Star Trek, a bit Traveller. The rule book covered the expected ground: a bit on generating star systems and planets, a bit on building spacecraft, a bit on robots, a few alien races etc. It is quite light (and generic) on weapons and gear though.

Chaosium is missing a trick, in my opinion, by not really supporting sci-fi with BRP. Even if it was something for CoC, along the lines of Cthonian Stars, it would be a good start.

Rogerdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I know enough d100 games to really do this. I like Mythras and I like Raiders of R’lyeh.

I really like Raiders, a lot. It is the different planar templates that were fantastic, allowing the right kind of feel.
Call of Cthulhu Invictus and Dark Ages. Pulp Cthulhu, and Grimoire which is a collection of CoC spells.
Malleus Monstrorum, both the 6e, and the 7e edition which went all out and is utterly fantastic.
Achtung Cthulhu which also hits a pulpy tone.
Cthulhu Now: Japan is damn good too.
Delta Green is excellent take on CoC.
RQ I was great as I like a lot of the monsters and captured the feel of an Elric type game.
RQ II (Legend) was great in my opinion, as it toned down some of the Heroic abilities and added new ones. It also made adding your own reasonably straight forward.
Obviously Elric
Deus Vult was good too
Sabre needs adding to the list, it is a combo of D100 plus D20 feats, and the art is damn good.
Apocthuhlu is reasonably new, and really good.
Revolution if you like your D100 crunchy, I don't, and find it too much. But is it essentially a generic D100 system that is catered towards doing superheroes
Cthulhu Britannica is good.
Renaissance, and a couple of other books by Cakebread & Walton seem more OGL, but are also fairly good.

Yes, Aquelarre is based on BRP with the addition of a mechanism denoting how religious you are. It goes down for doing magic and up for being godly and the two sides always add to 200 IIRC but I'm currently running something else and find that details slip out of my mind when not focused on a specific game (getting old on top of suffering issues post-Covid).

I love Aquelarre too, but mainly as it captures the feel of Robin of Sherwood, the magic seems a great fit too.

Trippy

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Chaosium is missing a trick, in my opinion, by not really supporting sci-fi with BRP. Even if it was something for CoC, along the lines of Cthonian Stars, it would be a good start.
Chaosium had planned to release a BRP science fiction game written by Chris Spivey (Harlem Unbound), but it got cancelled/postponed due to him having other commitments. I think he was one of the writers on the upcoming Dune game for Modiphius, but I can’t recall fully.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com