What kind of pub do you see?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Mankcam

Hallowed Be Thy Swo
Reaction score
Okay this notion was kinda vaguely inspired by seeing some of the sentiments in the Moderation Style/Feedback post, and it's just one of the random tangents I have had that has absolutely nothing to do with rpgs

If this forum is an analogy for an actual Pub, then what kind of Pub do you envision when you come in here?

Pubs come in different shapes, sizes, tones, etc so I expect some of us have different associations depending on background etc.

This thread could die a death, or it could become one of those spiraling tangents that never die, like the What Are You Listening To? thread...
Feel free to post elaborate descriptions, pics, memes, etc

I'll kick it off:

Initally I envisioned an old english tavern, something like you would see in the Cotswolds. Or perhaps an iconic Boston pub, like the 'Cheers' pub from the tv show. Or even The Prancing Pony in Bree...
However, the more that I chill here, the Pub has taken on quite a different flavour for me.

I'ld like to think it's one of those laid back tropical resort tiki bars where we are all sipping rum cocktails and rolling dice.

A mild breeze is blowing throw the open doors and windows, the place is warm but not humid, and some laid-back vibes are playing in the background. Could be reggae, classic calypso, blues, acoustic guitar, smooth jazz sax, chill electronica, dub, whatever floats the boat.
Let life go by somewhere else, this place is casual and that's the attraction.

Someone is ranting about the latest rpg, and we're all ears. Someone else is pushing a game which was published when Plato was young, and we're all up for that. Someone else is getting loud over the last Star Wars flick, while someone else is discussing Lost In Space re-runs.
We've got new designer game dice, and we're got the old chalk-in polydice. It's all here, everyone is having a chuckle and ideas are rifting.
I'm sitting back in the corner, holding an exotic drink, and somehow my accent is sounding more Jamacian by the minute.

That's the kind of pub I want to visit when I show up here...

1578889784372.png

1578889826436.png

1578890031616.png

1578890176868.png

1578890388706.png

1578890644671.png

Grab a Mai Tai with me :shade: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reposting from the "How Did You End Up Here ?" Thread :

It was a dark and stormy night, with rain coming down so hard that the road was flashing in and out of view. I was driving without a destination in mind, simply the impetus to escape, splitting my time between navigating the road and trying to suppress the dark memories of what had happened. I could still see the reflection of red on my hands, though they'd been washed and scrubbed a few dozen times since. The howling of the wind just barely covered the distant sound of screams.

After a few near misses with the winding side of the remote mountain highway, I knew I needed to find a place to stop for the night, though I was so far from any town or city that only the pavement and the occasional telephone wire visable through the trees gave any sign of civilization.

Up in the head I saw a shimmering light. I slowed down and pulled into the muddy drive of what looked like a Tudor carriage house. A single sign with no words hung above the door, a faded medieval crest bearing some resemblance to a dragon or hydra or some other heraldic beast, a bird in it's jaws. It pulled noisily at it's hinges trying to escape with the wind, but held fast by cast iron.

A small plaque on the door had the bizarre inscription "No Geese Allowed", and I only paused a moment to consider the absurdity of such a disclaimer before rap-tap-tapping on the door.

The door swung open seemingly of it's own accord to reveal a worn and rustic pub, decked in cherrywood and pine that had seen better days. A great fireplace lay at one end providing immediate relief from my then-soaked clothes. Hidden in shadows at a booth opposite were several patrons, presumably, whispering in a language that could have as easily been English as not.

The bartender wore an immaculate tuxedo, looking entirely out of place, all he moreso because for some reason he cast no reflection in the long mirror hung behind him.

I asked for a Scotch but he said, "Alas sir, we've not had that spirit here since 1963"

I asked him if there were rooms to let for the night, and he said that my usual room had been prepared. I assumed he mistook me for some regular, but when he handed me the leather bound book that served as a sign-in sheet, my name was clearly written, and it indicated I had checked in nearly a week ago.

Too tired to be puzzled I asked if they served food and he directed me to an adjacent room that turned out to be a banquet hall.

Crouched around a long table draped with a red velvet cover and fine china dishes, several fierce-looking aristocrats wore powdered white wigs and were dressed in a finery centuries out of date. They chattered and howled in amusement as they stuck forks and knives in what appeared to be a living, but featherless and roasted-brown skinned bird that squacked in pain and anger from atop a large silver serving tray.

I backed away from this phantasmagoria and turned back to the barkeep, a strange dread rising up from my unconscious that seemed on the verge of exploding into panic.

I said that I wanted to check out, trying but failing to keep the distress from my voice, and the barkeep smiled broadly.

"Relax sir, we are programmed to receive..."

I see more of a Star Trek TOS bar.

Obviously Scotty represents the mods, trying to keep things cool and peaceful, but one of these days some drunk Klingon is going to insult the Enterprise and that's it, free for all. :hehe:

Okay this notion was kinda vaguely inspired by seeing some of the sentiments in the Moderation Style/Feedback post, and it's just one of the random tangents I have had that has absolutely nothing to do with rpgs

If this forum is an analogy for an actual Pub, then what kind of Pub do you envision when you come in here?

Pubs come in different shapes, sizes, tones, etc so I expect some of us have different associations depending on background etc.

This thread could die a death, or it could become one of those spiraling tangents that never die, like the What Are You Listening To? thread...
Feel free to post elaborate descriptions, pics, memes, etc

I'll kick it off:

Initally I envisioned an old english tavern, something like you would see in the Cotswolds. Or perhaps an iconic Boston pub, like the 'Cheers' pub from the tv show. Or even The Prancing Pony in Bree...
However, the more that I chill here, the Pub has taken on quite a different flavour for me.

I'ld like to think it's one of those laid back tropical resort tiki bars where we are all sipping rum cocktails and rolling dice.

A mild breeze is blowing throw the open doors and windows, the place is warm but not humid, and some laid-back vibes are playing in the background. Could be reggae, classic calypso, blues, acoustic guitar, smooth jazz sax, chill electronica, dub, whatever floats the boat.
Let life go by somewhere else, this place is casual and that's the attraction.

Someone is ranting about the latest rpg, and we're all ears. Someone else is pushing a game which was published when Plato was young, and we're all up for that. Someone else is getting loud over the last Star Wars flick, while someone else is discussing Lost In Space re-runs.
We've got new designer game dice, and we're got the old chalk-in polydice. It's all here, everyone is having a chuckle and ideas are rifting.
I'm sitting back in the corner, holding an exotic drink, and somehow my accent is sounding more Jamacian by the minute.

That's the kind of pub I want to visit when I show up here...

View attachment 14751

View attachment 14752

View attachment 14753

View attachment 14754

View attachment 14755

View attachment 14756

Grab a Mai Tai with me :shade: :thumbsup:
Definiitely this. I can't stand places that reek of stale beer and you can't hear yourself think over folks rabbiting about some football game or other. This should be a place where you can sit and chat and be able to hear the conversation.

Mine's a G&T.

I see something more residential than commercial really, like a cool older dude's home with an open-door policy. Maybe a basement bar of sorts.

OjasSXZ.jpg

The RPG Pub: I came for a place where I could discuss RPGs without anyone telling me I should be boycotting my favorite game company, I stayed for the chats about everyday life, Bronze Age comic books, and pro wrestling.

With a side of Swo and goose hatred, of course :smile: .

I know this doesn't actually answer the question, but it seemed like a fairly appropriate place to post it.

Strip club. Looks like I didn't really pay attention to the sign out front, and the strippers are all dudes. The only female in the place is the bartender. I tried to throw a mack, but she ain't havin' it. But, hey, the place has cheap, strong drinks and it's only a short distance from home. Ehhhhh, I guess seeing a little man ass won't kill me.

What was the question again?

Strip club. Looks like I didn't really pay attention to the sign out front, and the strippers are all dudes. The only female in the place is the bartender. I tried to throw a mack, but she ain't havin' it. But, hey, the place has cheap, strong drinks and it's only a short distance from home. Ehhhhh, I guess seeing a little man ass won't kill me.

What was the question again?
I have the sinking feeling the male female ratio here is actually more in line with a strip club than any other pub....

I have the sinking feeling the male female ratio here is actually more in line with a strip club than any other pub....
Protip: go in the middle of a weekday. No cover, cheaper drinks, and more dancers than customers.

Of course, I'm am old family man now, my strip club days are well behind me.

But when I did go, I went during the day.

"You know those guys that go to the strip club in the daytime? If you at a strip club and the sun is out, you got some problems."
-Chris Rock

There is this bar where I live that I absolutely love. No loud music. The lights aren't on full bright, but it isn't dark either. Small, homey. The furniture is a mishmash of different lived in stuff. A couple of beat up old couches, two thrones made of random pieces of lumber, stuff like that. A good choice of bourbons. In the corner an old movie theater style popcorn machine is running where you can go grab some for free whenever you want.

Occasionally you get a live jazz band.

You always get a conversation if you go to the bar.

Most of all its comfortable and a good place for actually talking to people.

Seriously if any of you are ever in Athens, Georgia, hit up Manhattan Cafe.

The pub I see is a dim 3-bed flat, illuminated only by poor-quality reruns of the A-Team and assorted John Carpenter movies, with three old stubbly men in bath robes and flip flops passing a bottle of Glenfiddich between themselves on the couch; their glassy eyes occasionally snapping back to lucidity as they briefly stop to cackle at or smack one of the twenty-some-odd children running around the apartment, screaming like lunatics, tripping over themselves and breaking things. The walls are covered in finger painted geese with their eyes scratched out. Rush blares loudly from the radio, drowning it all out...

Last edited:
I may quite fond of the tiki bar image, in no small part because I love tiki bars. They seem like the sort of place that would have the same rules as the pub, where it doesn’t matter what kind of drink you drink, or even if it has alcohol.

I did a session of an online game using OpenRpg one time. I was a player, and I was in Hawaii on vacation, and the best wifi was in a tiki bar at the time. That was the best game session.

Personally, I think the Pub would be different depending on who's in charge...

T The Butcher would run a hard rock/heavy metal dive bar. Think Moe's Tavern but run by Lemmy from Motorhead

Endless Flight Endless Flight would be in charge of a chill Tiki Bar

Dumarest Dumarest would run it like an old-timey Western saloon...or a pirate tavern

Baulderstone Baulderstone would have a cozy comfy pub like on Cheers

A Fiery Flying Roll Black Leaf and Necrozius Necrozius would probably run the Pub as an old-school late 80's/early 90's Goth club, sort of like the original Succubus Club from Vampire: The Masquerade

Doc Sammy Doc Sammy would be running the Pub as a leather bar for weebs and hillbillies. Think of it like the Blue Oyster Bar from Police Academy, but run by the Ouran High School Host Club and this is the kind of music that's being played on the jukebox while the sparkly bishonens in skimpy black leather dance...

You can't be too serious in a tiki bar. If you try you just look silly
The key is to take nothing seriously to begin with.
I'm ok with my surgeon taking his job seriously. A big guffaw and a knife in my innards should only come from a sociopath not my doctor.
It does make one wonder why you're choosing to undergo surgery in a tiki bar, but I'm a laissez-faire kind of guy.

...I hear T The Butcher's hands are still fairly steady after the first couple of Mai Tais...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back