What music soothes your soul?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Raleel

The Lemon LeCroix of Mythras
Reaction score
What’s the music that brings you peace, calms you down, puts things into focus, relaxes you, your go to when the mood is bad?

mine? tool. I have a playlist of tool’s longest songs and it fixes me most all the time.

when I need to rage, it’s ace of spades and vasoline. At maximum volume of whatever sound system is near by. Those will crack it. Then I can go back to tool and settle my shit down.

Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. It's an album of majestic, musical beauty that can soothe the raging mind. It's also one of the bitterest, most angry albums of all time; nobody is angrier than Roger, not me for sure. This resets my perspective.

It's also, very arguably, not a Pink Floyd album.

Fight fire with fire as the saying goes.

For inner stillness and absolute concentration I turn to baroque concertos from the likes Bach, Corelli, Vivaldi, Handel and co. Baroque music is infused with a delicate but absolute sense of order that sweeps all chaos away. I've recently grown particularl fond of Albinoni's oboe concertos (technically "Concerto a Cinque Op7 and Op9"). The sound of the oboe I find is particularly soothing.

Music is important to me, both the music itself and then there are the memories that it stirs. I grew up on 80s and 90s rock radio stations so I describe myself as a classic rock and metal guy, but I don't discriminate. I have classical, funk, oldies, rap, country and more in the library.

If I want mellow I might choose some Pink Floyd, Neil Young, David Bowie, The Beatles, Black Sabbath (who actually have some pretty laid back stuff), The Who, Everlast, Arlo Guthrie, Eric Clapton, The Police / Sting, Rolling Stones, Cat Stevens, The Doors, Jimmy Buffett, Dire Straits, Flogging Molly, Tom Petty, Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy... Well it's a long list. :grin:

When I want some energetic motivation or maybe just want to rage and kill stuff, Motorhead (although some is also on my mellow list), Static X, Rob / White Zombie, Kid Rock, Drowning Pool, House of Pain, Faith No More, Judas Priest, Metallica, Filter, Rage Against the Machine, maybe some Bach, Orff or Wagner. Again it is a long list.

I'd run out of pixels trying to cover all the stuff in between, but there is always room for some Devo. :heart:

Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. It's an album of majestic, musical beauty that can soothe the raging mind. It's also one of the bitterest, most angry albums of all time; nobody is angrier than Roger, not me for sure. This resets my perspective.

It's also, very arguably, not a Pink Floyd album.

Fight fire with fire as the saying goes.

This is in contention for my favorite Pink Floyd album and is definitely my favorite Roger Waters album for those that consider it a solo album backed by Floyd. Animals, and Wish You Were Here are its main competition, but as I'm a pretty big fan of Pink Floyd all the albums from Dark Side to The Final Cut spend a fair amount of time on my play list. I've even come to appreciate the earlier and later work. Pink Floyd with and without Waters has this really amazing way of being angry, depressing and upbeat all at once.

I think The Final Cut edges the rest out because it came out when I was 15, and its message of things were supposed to be better WTF happened has been a popular theme throughout my life.

(the London) Suede - Beautiful Ones
Reminds me that youth zeniths around 22 and this is their time to lose their minds, make the news, and birth the next age. And each year there is forever another batch who must help agitate the world go 'round. Some never mentally leave this stage, though their body gives out, c'est la vie.

Cyclicality of madness, lust, rage, sloth, and regret. Reminds me to enjoy and forgive the current times and move on.

Speaking of moving on...

ABBA - Move On
Reminds me of the preciousness of the sand that passes through each of our hourglasses, unlikely savored in full let alone captured for lasting safekeeping. You get to keep nothing but the memory of the love you shared -- and even that passes. Do your best, rejoice!

I haven't found anything that can really soothe my soul. The last time I remember totally relaxing was around Christmas 1995 when I went to stay with my parents for a few days. I did find that listening to some of the lo-fi channels on Youtube helps a bit with focus, though.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back