What RPG campaign are you going to run/play in 2018?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm going to continue playing in my friend's monthly Gurps Dark*Matter campaign. He's been running that for over a year now, and there isn't really a planned completion date. Kind of an open-ended campaign until the players get tired of it.

I've had around a 6-month break from GMing, and I'm trying to decide whether to get my every-other-Sunday, Call of Cthulhu gaming group back together. We had one player leave the country over the summertime, and I've been so distracted with work and family-stuff that I've never got something back on track. Maybe this coming spring.

I'm going to continue playing in my friend's monthly Gurps Dark*Matter campaign. He's been running that for over a year now, and there isn't really a planned completion date. Kind of an open-ended campaign until the players get tired of it.

I've had around a 6-month break from GMing, and I'm trying to decide whether to get my every-other-Sunday, Call of Cthulhu gaming group back together. We had one player leave the country over the summertime, and I've been so distracted with work and family-stuff that I've never got something back on track. Maybe this coming spring.

The Gurps Dark*Matter campaign sounds great. What is your character like?

Cthulhu Confidential and hopefully I can find a new CoC or 5E D&D group.

I'll be playing in my friend's Egypt-themed 5e D&D campaign. I'm gonna be a crocodile man!

I'll be running 1-on-1 modern adventures online as soon as I can settle on a system. I'm very consciously trying to emulate the style of Vampire: Bloodlines, but not necessarily with vampires.

The Gurps Dark*Matter campaign sounds great. What is your character like?
My character is a guy named Doug Nichols - ex-Navy, skiing enthusiast, and photographer/chronicler of supernatural phenomenon. He was actually a pregen from a prewritten Dark*Matter adventure, that my friend used as a prequel to start off the campaign. And, I liked the character so much that I continued using him after my friend got the campaign going in earnest (and wrote his own campaign material).

Doug's evolved a lot over the past 14(?) sessions. After being recruited by the Hoffman Institute, he went through specialized training in surveillance, and stealthy undercover work. And he's been on a number of dangerous missions, involving rooting out weirdo cults, alien invaders and their pawns.

In Gurps' terms, Doug is a serious jack-of-all-trades. He's not a specialized combatant like a number of the other characters; his breadth of skills is so wide that he's competent in a lot of situations. Mostly, he fits in a role as surveillance/spotter/tracker/information-analyst. Where many of the other players shoot the shit out of aliens, he's the one doing the actual investigative work. :smile:

I'll be playing in my friend's Egypt-themed 5e D&D campaign. I'm gonna be a crocodile man!

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. I want to know more about your crocodile man.

Cthulhu Confidential and hopefully I can find a new CoC or 5E D&D group.

CoC do you like the older editions or are you hoping for 7E? Would you prefer straight or pulp if you go 7E?

I prefer earlier editions but I’m fine with 7e. Would be willing to give pulp style a try.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. I want to know more about your crocodile man.

He homebrewed a race with a Sobek-vibe. Going for this basically:

oCsXrJz.jpg

I'm going to be running the Yggdrasill campaign in the monthly Saturday online slot when we conclude Curse Of Nineveh, some Cthulhu Confidential for the other half at home, Worldbreaker for Esoterrorists in the Tuesday online slot and then some more Ashen Stars when that finishes up, and finally, 13th Age in the Sunday slot.

I should be playing The Final Revelation (ToC) during the week online and then some Mythic Greece for Mythras when I'm done with 13th Age.

Busy year and should be good.

I'm hoping to keep my Demon: the Fallen play-by-post running for at least most of the year, and I'm preparing to start up a Wraith: the Oblivion tabletop campaign once I've wrapped up my GURPS Bunnies & Burrows one. And I still have an Exalted game that's slow-moving but ongoing.

... I suddenly realise that, after a few years of experimenting with a bit of everything, I seem to have entirely regressed back to my White Wolf roots. Well, I can live with that. :p

I haven't done a lot of gaming, let alone GMing, this year, because baby. It remains to be seen whether I'll get any done in 2018.

Here are the games I want to run, time allowing, in 2018. Do bear in mind that long hiatuses send my RPG ADD into overdrive... :shock:

• ACKS, either Sinister Stone of Sakkara, or an old homebrew I've been (over)thinking about.
  • Mythras, most likely Monster Island, but I'm also looking forward to round out my collection with Mythic Rome, Mythic Britain: Saxons, Mythic Constantinople and every single one of the very interesting adventures TDM put out this year (especially the SF and the espionage ones).
  • Cepheus Engine, most likely using Paul Eliott's Orbital setting because I'm on a The Expanse hard SF kick, but I've got to admit that both Star Wars and Killjoys have been whispering sweet space opera nothings in my ear... and I never did run a Spinward Marches sandbox, or Mongoose's very intriguing Pirates of Drinax campaign.
  • Savage Worlds because I miss the speed and ease of play. Savage Rifts would be the natural candidate because fuck yeah Rifts® but I might also revisit Day After Ragnarok or try a homebrew.
  • Chronicles of Darkness because I dig me some urban fantasy monsters-among-us drama. I've been meaning to run Mage: the Awakening forever (and have a less vague idea of what I want to run) but Requiem, Forsaken, Lost and Vigil all appeal to me as a GM.
  • Call of Cthulhu because I still want to run a proper campaign (all I ever played or ran was one-shots or mini-campaigns/arcs). Masks of Nyarlathotep is a classic and Shadows of Yog-Sothoth looks fun, as does the new Delta Green; and with the Lost City of Z movie coming out, it would be perfect timing for my "what happened to Percy Fawcett" CoC game I've wanted to run since reading the book, years ago. Now where did I put those hydrographic and topographic maps of the southern Amazon basin...?
  • Zweihänder looks amazing but it's currently sitting near the bottom because ir's such a beast of a tome that I have yet to give it a proper shakedown. Still, I've always wanted to run WFRP with the serial numbers filed off, sandbox style, and at some point slot in Castle Drachenfels. Zweihänder, I trust, will do nicely.

Last edited:
We'll finish Curse of Strahd, then who knows for sure from there?

I'd like to do a D&D Homebrew, return to East Texas University, maybe do some Warhammer 2nd Edition, Star Wars of some stripe, Adventures in Middle-Earth...damn, I dunno. The group will decide as a whole, though.

I'll be continuing my One Ring, Final Revelation (Trail of Cthulhu) and just started Legend of the Five Rings campaigns as GM. As player, I'm just starting out with Esoterrorists and Mutant Year Zero: Mechatron. Oh, and Cthulhu Invictus.

I'm not sure when I'll have time to start anything new. When I do, I'm torn between World War Cthulhu (either Darkest Hour or Cold War) and Mindjammer. One-offs will also feature at conventions and as playtests of things I'm writing.

I'm going to play in a Dawnlands campaign for Mythras, loosely described as Mythical Asian Steppe on Acid. Maybe starting in February - looking forward to that.
Later this year I'm looking forward to running something I've codenamed Hammurabi's Hammers - I can't say much about it but it's also for Mythras.

I'm going to play in a Dawnlands campaign for Mythras, loosely described as Mythical Asian Steppe on Acid. Maybe starting in February - looking forward to that.
Later this year I'm looking forward to running something I've codenamed Hammurabi's Hammers - I can't say much about it but it's also for Mythras.

Mythic Mesopotamia playtest? Sweet! :grin:

Most of the online campaigns I've been playing in this year are wrapping up... Mazes & Minotaurs, DCC, Magic World... so I'm looking forward to what those groups do next.
As a GM I am looking more at running one-shots and short adventures, not campaigns.

I'll be continuing to run my Advanced Fighting Fantasy Campaign.

Come next September I haven't decided if I'm playing or running. If the latter, torn between Dragon Warriors, Unknown Armies and Fading Suns.

(My group has a lot of students so we work to the academic year)

I'm doing my best to work on my Gamer Short Attention Span, and focus on my few favorites, which at the moment are D&D5e, ICONS, and the Doctor Who RPG. I'm not sure how much time I'll have for face-to-face gaming this upcoming year, but I would like to do something with at least one of them. Some possibilities:

D&D 5e, pretty much straight dungeon-crawls, probably using Goodman Games' Fifth Edition Fantasy adventures.
ICONS, something goofy, Saturday morning cartoonish (maybe even in the style of The Tick ... ) beat-em ups.
DWRPG, something a bit more in the ballpark of a serious, story-driven campaign, possibly a group of Time Agents from 51st Century Earth, tracking down various anomalies. I'd need a more committed group of people willing to show up regularly, so this is probably the least likely ...

Assuming that I can find players (which is a big if), I'd like to get a Frontier Space campaign going on Roll20 at some point in February or March. December and January are just way too hectic for me to do much of anything for more than a couple of hours at a time.

GMing: Continuing my Mythras Conan campaign. If I move closer to work (which is also closer to most of my players) might be able to do a second campaign. Second campaign would most likely be one of:
  • Shadowrun 2nd/3rd
  • 40k with FFG system or Savage Worlds.
  • Warhammer 4th
Playing: Starting up a AS&SH campaign soon. Continuing to play in a homebrew (dropped the second one).

• Zweihänder looks amazing but it's currently sitting near the bottom because ir's such a beast of a tome that I have yet to give it a proper shakedown. Still, I've always wanted to run WFRP with the serial numbers filed off, sandbox style, and at some point slot in Castle Drachenfels. Zweihänder, I trust, will do nicely.
Zweihander does look amazing. And is way too weighty for my short attention span just now. That said, I've got a serious Warhammer itch that I'm hoping to scratch with GURPSHammer. One of the best adaptations of a game to GURPS that I've ever stumbled across.

I'd like to take a shot at an old school D&D campaign, too. Preferably BECMI,but I could be talked into using a retroclone. The idea there being, run some classic modules and then see what happens.

I've also still got my Stormbringer idea on the back burner. Much old school metal. Before the days of studs and spikes. Before down tuning. When vocalists wailed and guitarists screamed.

And not forgetting Cyberpunk 2020. Night City is calling and I think I've got one more 'Punk campaign in me. Agian, with some classic modules that I never got to run back in the day.

I think a friend of mine is starting up a Feng Shui campaign soonish.

At the club, I'm playing Godbound next month, not sure what else I'll be playing through the year. I'll also try and run something although, again, no idea what.

What a sentence!

Not as much of a leap as you might think. The way I run Bunnies & Burrows, it's already pretty Gothic. Quothe one of my players, "I'm a freaking bunny! So why do I feel like I'm in Game of Thrones?!" ;)

Are you waiting on Wraith 20th?

Nah, not really. New editions don't excite me much. They invariably change things I like and leave things I don't like the same. So unless they've really thought of something brilliant for this one, I'll be sticking to the old and creaky versions.

That said, I've got a serious Warhammer itch that I'm hoping to scratch with GURPSHammer. One of the best adaptations of a game to GURPS that I've ever stumbled across.
If you're talking about Tectuctitlay's famous version, do you have a current live link?

If you're talking about Tectuctitlay's famous version, do you have a current live link?
I've got a link to the copy on my Google drive. It's from 2008 and credited to someone called Xuub, with contributions from Nathan Robertson and Lewis Page.

I'm looking forward to running or playing anything. The group I played with imploded quite a while ago. Between kids, work, travel logistics, and other obligations it's hard to get anyone together for a game nowadays.

-Continue Starfinder (Dead Suns Adventure Path)
-Continue alternating Mutants & Masterminds and Bulldogs
-Continue Pathfinder (Scarred Lands campaign that is heading into the City of Brass)
-Start monthly indie/small press games, possibly for 2-3 month mini campaigns, starting with Masks: A New Generation

GM - Mythras S&S campaign set in the dying days of Atlantis & a Genesys game set in my pre-apocalyptic, industrial revolution, arcanapunk gothic fantasy.

Playing - Princes of the Apocalypse

Going to be continuing my 5e D&D Wilderlands multi-party open world sandbox game. Going to be continuing my 4e D&D Nentir Vale game.

Well, I'm looking forward to resuming and completing my D6 Star Wars campaign, "Knights Errant", on New Year's Eve day. Hopefully I'll have landed a job with regular M-F daylight hours so I can make my weekends my own and get a bigger group of core players (I currently only have three core players). The campaign relies on the original trilogy as the "backbone" and the PCs will get cameo involvement of some sort in each movie. Thus far they were responsible for delivering the Y-Wings from "Rebel Breakout" to the rebel base on Tierfon in time for the fighters to be used against the first Death Star. So far they have:
  • Completed training on the rebel safeworld of Stronghold.
  • Escaped an Imperial invasion of Stronghold.
  • Solved the murders of a fighter pilot and a technician at the hands of an Imperial Intelligence mole.
  • Prevented the Imperial spy and his droid from revealing the base's location.
  • Returned to Stronghold in a daring attempt to evacuate the surviving civilians and defenders.
When we left off, the heroes were busy trying to stem off the spread of the Blackwing virus on Stronghold while preparing a rearguard action to allow the civilians and remaining defenders to escape. Zombies aplenty, but don't fret, they'll make it out.

Beyond that, I'm working on a Pathfinder campaign. The setting is a "Points of Light" world that's a cross between RWBY, Attack on Titan, and Ravenloft with some Cthulhu Mythos goodness mixed in.

Later!
Harl

Hopefully some Pathfinder after an aborted first attempt. Will be revisiting Wild Blue Yonder, specifically the Renaissance period and the inns and outs of Patronage and the Exploits sub-system.

I think I'm going to run a DCC RPG game set in Goodman Game's Ur-hillbilly, "Chained Coffin" setting for a few months while one of my regulars in my Magic World game deploys overseas.

Other than that, I've got an open-ended play-by-post Magic World game that will continue into it's third year, and I'll keep chipping away at building on my adaptation of Jack Vance's Lyonesse, set 1,000 years after the events in the books for Renaissance -- something a little like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, mixed with Brothers Grimm, and Moorcock's Warhound and the World's Pain.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back